PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness gone mad!!

Kirt12255
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM
:rolleyes:
Last week Sea World, an animal/theme park on the Gold Coast in Queensland made a decision to change the names of Fairy Penguins to Little Penguins. They did this as they felt the name Fairy Penguins may be offensive to the gay community.:lol: (Yes, the park is in a state called Queensland!)

That however is only one incident in a succession of changes forwarded so as not to offend people. The worst of these I believe is Christmas here in Australia. Many schools in the past few years have banned Christmas Carrols in primary schools so as not to offend non Christian children. Towns have refused to set up nativity scenes for the same reason. Some schools ban the speaking of Santa Clause.

Even nursery rhymes have copped it;

Baa Baa Black Sheep must now me Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep or Baa Baa Fluffy Sheep.
Humpty Dumpty has copped criticism from feminist groups as the lyrics have "All the Kings horses and all the Kings men", hense not involving women in battle.
Blackboards must now be Chalkboards
Whiteboards must now be Penboards
Rugby cheerleaders have been told to cover their midriff area so as not to encourage eating dissorders.
Teachers have been told not to say Good Boy or Good Girl, it has to be Good Child.
Pre-School centres banning children wearing super-hero costumes because other kids may see themselves as "inferior."
When are extreme lobby folk going to think of something more productive to do than sanitise?:rolleyes:

griffin
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:47 PM
Interestingly enough, it seems it wasn't the gay community that wanted the change:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18823887%255E662,00.html

The gay-rights folks quoted in the article all thought the change was unnecessary.

azdaja
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:53 PM
i study linguistics and i know for a fact that there are people who want to make inventing this kind of linguistic engineering their profession, especially on behalf of feminism.

Kirt12255
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:54 PM
Interestingly enough, it seems it wasn't the gay community that wanted the change:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18823887%255E662,00.html

The gay-rights folks quoted in the article all thought the change was unnecessary.

Yes, if anything they were peeved off that perhaps everyone thought they wanted the change. ;)

SelesFan70
Apr 21st, 2006, 05:55 PM
Yes, if anything they were peeved off that perhaps everyone thought they wanted the change. ;)

That's the main problem I have with most liberals...they try to thing FOR you instead of letting you thing for yourself.

Kirt12255
Apr 21st, 2006, 06:01 PM
:scratch: I just don't understand it....who's seen a bloody rainbow sheep anyhow? Does this mean the "tooth fairy" has become a raving queen in spandex shorts, strutting through the window to put a dollar under the pillow?:confused:

Paneru
Apr 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM
That's the main problem I have with most liberals...they try to thing FOR you instead of letting you thing for yourself.

:haha:

The fact that you could say
that with a straight face. :lol:

Wigglytuff
Apr 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM
Last week Sea World, an animal/theme park on the Gold Coast in Queensland made a decision to change the names of Fairy Penguins to Little Penguins. They did this as they felt the name Fairy Penguins may be offensive to the gay community.:lol: (Yes, the park is in a state called Queensland!)

That however is only one incident in a succession of changes forwarded so as not to offend people. The worst of these I believe is Christmas here in Australia. Many schools in the past few years have banned Christmas Carrols in primary schools so as not to offend non Christian children. Towns have refused to set up nativity scenes for the same reason. Some schools ban the speaking of Santa Clause.

Humpty Dumpty has copped criticism from feminist groups as the lyrics have "All the Kings horses and all the Kings men", hense not involving women in battle.
Rugby cheerleaders have been told to cover their midriff area so as not to encourage eating dissorders.
Teachers have been told not to say Good Boy or Good Girl, it has to be Good Child.
Pre-School centres banning children wearing super-hero costumes because other kids may see themselves as "inferior."
When are extreme lobby folk going to think of something more productive to do than sanitise?:rolleyes:
wow the people who are complaining about PC gone mad NEED HOBBIES!!!

for starters...
blackboards should of never been called such because thats not what they are. they are chalk boards and chalk boards can be any color, most often black or green. and yes there are people stupid enough to call a green chalk board and "black" board... :retard:

same for 'white boards' which are really dry erase boards.

Pengwin
Apr 21st, 2006, 07:36 PM
In Britain, teachers are not allowed to use the word "failure"

meyerpl
Apr 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
']In Britain, teachers are not allowed to use the word "failure"
Where I live in the U.S., male teachers are no longer allowed to beat the crap out of male students who present disciplinary problems, as they did when I was in school. We're surely going to hell in a bucket.

Helen Lawson
Apr 21st, 2006, 08:43 PM
I think the biggest casualties of the pc movement were the terms "dames" and "broads."

RVD
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:34 PM
That's the main problem I have with most liberals...they try to thing FOR you instead of letting you think for yourself.With all due respect, SelesFan70, I believe you have the two parties mixed up. The Conservative/Republican/Neo-Con folks are geniuses at preventing independent thought while simultaneously pretending to endorse it. :lol:
...Karl Rove anybody? :tape:

Incidentally, the political correctness movement was hi-jacked and perverted over 20 years ago by conservatives who, as they always tend to do, redefine it as a wholly ultra liberal concept and using it as a negative talking point when spewing their hatred of ethnic and gender equality, as well as other inherent freedoms they themselves enjoy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Kirt12255
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:36 PM
wow the people who are complaining about PC gone mad NEED HOBBIES!!!

for starters...
blackboards should of never been called such because thats not what they are. they are chalk boards and chalk boards can be any color, most often black or green. and yes there are people stupid enough to call a green chalk board and "black" board... :retard:

same for 'white boards' which are really dry erase boards.

Reguardless of what they "should" have been called, they weren't. They have been known universally as white and black boards and are being changed for PC. That's the point here ;) I doubt very much a primary age child is going to connect a blackboard or whiteboard with racial issues. Unless it's written on them.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:53 PM
:rolls:

I think Queensland ought to change its name. Yes.

wta_zuperfann
Apr 21st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Political correctness?

Last night the Minnesota House Tax Committe voted to allow Hennepin County to increase its taxes without a citizen's referendum so that the money can be used to finance a new baseball stadium for multi-billionaire Carl Pohlad. As every local source has acknowledged - if a referendum vote had been taken, the citizens of that county (the one that has the highest amount of black voters) would have voted down the tax increase. But the politicians sidestepped the rights of that county's citizens because it wanted corporate welfare recipient Pohlad to get more welfare from the hardpressed citizens. Thus, black taxpayers will now have to pay more taxes to generate more welfare for billionaire Pohlad.

You have to ask yourself, since these "principled" conservatives say they hate taxes and welfare, why the hell don't they object to higher taxes and to corporate welfare? Why is it always OK to tax the hell out of the poor in order to benefit the wealthy? Why is it that this bullshit of corporate welfarism is so politically correct but God help anyone else who wants a handout or helping hand from the government????

The idea of corporate welfare entitlement is the worst example anywhere of political correctness gone mad.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:05 AM
i study linguistics and i know for a fact that there are people who want to make inventing this kind of linguistic engineering their profession, especially on behalf of feminism.
Interesting. Creepy, but interesting :p

Goai
Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:45 AM
Ewww... sea world is so boring.
This polically correct stupidity just proves the direction Australia is moving.

Anyway, I still mourn for The Faraway Tree and other Enid Blyton books.

*JR*
Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:52 AM
In reply to 2 posts ITT:

To RVD: as has been discussed here B4, Wikipedia isn't the best source in the world re. anything controversial (though its a handy reference tool on other things). But the piece did give some good examples, such as the PC crap Christopher Reeve took for daring to say he wanted 2B, OMG, cured of his paralysis. (That example is neither left nor right, as it isn't about stem cell research, simply whether he was dissing the err, "mobility impaired", 2B very PC here).

To zuperfan: I totally agree that the public shouldn't be subsidizing a new stadium for a wealthy pro sports team owner (and thus indirectly, the wealthy players. Plus the corporate exec's who get a tax subsidy on renting the skyboxes that keep them away from the "riff-raff"). But must you make it a racial issue? You're unintentionally playing right into the hands of the corporate welfare crowd when you divide the way the working class typically gets screwed along racial lines.

Shenanigans
Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:56 AM
I think the biggest casualties of the pc movement were the terms "dames" and "broads."

:lol: Well in Australia that would be "Sheilas" so that still seems to be acceptable in Oz.

Scotso
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:42 AM
Here we still call them black sheep, blackboards, whiteboards, etc.

azdaja
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:50 AM
did i hear "working class"? now we're talking.

meyerpl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:53 AM
I think the only thing more trivial and pointless than excessive political correctness is complaining about it.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM
As one of the older posters, I can well remember what things were like in the 80s. I reckon that all this excessive PC has actually calmed down a little from then. Thankfully. It's still crazy when a new example comes along, like the fairy penguins one. :lol:

Fingon
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM

yes, the same way I don't think black people care for blackboards or whiteboards.

The level of stupidity of politicians and activists is reaching limits nobody would have dared to predict.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:13 AM
Maybe they should be called "vertically-challenged penguins" just to make sure that no smallish people are offended.

Veritas
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:46 AM

Times and are changing, and because of that, so will language and the way we communicate :shrug:

The whole P.C. thing doesn't bother me a lot. I can understand why nursery rhymes have copped a few tweaks. Obviously the people responsible for the changes want to keep children as innocent as possible. Still, the banning of Christmas carols is way too extreme. What's the harm in singing a few songs to celebrate the season? :confused:

What's more surprising is that in most cases, it's not the minority groups who are asking for the changes. In some ways, it's actually insulting to them because these measures make it seem as if the minority groups are an over-sensitive bunch. And before you know it, once these new names start becoming the standard way of describing things, there'll be some opportunistic people who'll take advantage of this "P.C." jargon to disguise their own racism and discrimination.

For example, what do people expect when "blackboard" and "whiteboard" are changed to "chalkboard" and "penboard" respectively? To force people to name things without making reference to colour? That might help put a check on people's racism, but there's many other ways they can go about expressing discrimination. People can just as easily bring up negative connotations about "Asians" without referring to features such as "yellow" or "slint-eyed". I know in Australia, "Asian" can also include "John So", "piracy", "cheap labour", "illegal immigrants"...the list is long. Are we gonna stop using the word "Asian" when we describe things such as cuisine and culture? :confused:

What these P.C. "do-gooders" need to understand is that it's not just the language that needs re-working. There's a whole range of social studies and disciplines that needs to be stamped into the mainstream as well.

dementieva's fan
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:14 AM
You never miss a chance to take a cheap shot, do you? :rolleyes: The ruling party in Australia is a very socially conservative party :kiss:

meyerpl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:23 AM
What these P.C. "do-gooders" need to understand is that it's not just the language that needs re-working. There's a whole range of social studies and disciplines that needs to be stamped into the mainstream as well.
Exactly! The things being characterized as "political correctness" these days are insignificant changes in semantics promoted by people who mean well. They aren't worth pursuing nor are they worth quibbling about.

Veritas
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:29 AM
Exactly! The things being characterized as "political correctness" these days are insignificant changes in semantics promoted by people who mean well. They aren't worth pursuing nor are they worth quibbling about.

Or they could be promoted by people who don't mean well, but are just looking for the cheapest, quickest and easiest way to satisfy public demand for "changes". And going for a few simple name alterations rather than pumping more time and money into complicated analysis is an economic no-brainer.

meyerpl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:40 AM
Or they could be promoted by people who don't mean well, but are just looking for the cheapest, quickest and easiest way to satisfy public demand for "changes". And going for a few simple name alterations rather than pumping more time and money into complicated analysis is an economic no-brainer.
It's a cynical point of view. Unfortunately, the cynical point of view is all to often on target.

Reuchlin
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:44 AM
I wrote this one paper for a feminism class, and I put like every other word in quotation marks....lol.

Fingon
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:29 AM

well, I disagree, they are worth quibbling about.

It's another example of our governments trying to control every aspect of our lives.

they want to tell you what to say, how to speak, how to educate your children, you can't smoke, you can't drink, you can't eat fast food, you can't have sex, you can't tell somebody what you think, the list never ends.

It's ridiculous that we have to change the way we talk, and more important, we have to lie, hide our true feelings because they might be politically incorrect.

Every fucking movie that has some violence in it will trigger protests from some group that think they are being singled out, you can't say anything, they want to reduce life to a mere robot like existence, say what you are taught, smile when I tell you.

That's what it's all about with anti-smoking/fast food/obesity AND political correctness, controlling our lives in every possible way.

Let me be politically incorrect.

The politicians and activists can go and fuck themselves, or I hope somebody fucks them against a blackboard

Fingon
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM
I wonder if they want to call a cock something else (to not offend males).

meyerpl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:43 AM
well, I disagree, they are worth quibbling about.

It's another example of our governments trying to control every aspect of our lives.

they want to tell you what to say, how to speak, how to educate your children, you can't smoke, you can't drink, you can't eat fast food, you can't have sex, you can't tell somebody what you think, the list never ends.

It's ridiculous that we have to change the way we talk, and more important, we have to lie, hide our true feelings because they might be politically incorrect.

Every fucking movie that has some violence in it will trigger protests from some group that think they are being singled out, you can't say anything, they want to reduce life to a mere robot like existence, say what you are taught, smile when I tell you.

That's what it's all about with anti-smoking/fast food/obesity AND political correctness, controlling our lives in every possible way.

Let me be politically incorrect.

The politicians and activists can go and fuck themselves, or I hope somebody fucks them against a blackboard
I see your point, but mine is that while the federal government is using 9-11 as a pretense for seriously trampling all over our Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms and our criminal justice system is locking people up for shit we wouldn't have dreamed of locking anyone up for thirty years ago, we're rolling over and playing dead, while at the same time we get our hackles up over blackboard vs. chalkboard?

meyerpl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:45 AM
I wonder if they want to call a cock something else (to not offend males).
Yeah. It's "wedding tackle" now.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:09 AM
I see your point, but mine is that while the federal government is using 9-11 as a pretense for seriously trampling all over our Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms and our criminal justice system is locking people up for shit we wouldn't have dreamed of locking anyone up for thirty years ago, we're rolling over and playing dead, while at the same time we get our hackles up over blackboard vs. chalkboard?

It's not just one example. It's the cumulative attempt to control the way we speak and think, which is something very precious to us and affects us all. Yes, I think it is worth making a fuss - though as I said, the 1980s were actually worse than now. The fuss has worked to some extent.

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:14 AM

Interesting, the main problem I have with Conservatives is that they want everyone to follow their rules, whether everyone likes it or not.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:18 AM
Interesting, the main problem I have with Conservatives is that they want everyone to follow their rules, whether everyone likes it or not.

:worship:

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:19 AM
Yeah, every fucker wants to control our lives - those on the right, those on the left, the government, the corporations, the churches, whatever. :shrug:

Fingon
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:20 AM

I agree.

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:23 AM
I think all of the examples in the lead story are ridiculous, except for the singing of Christmas carols... unless the school plans to celebrate every religion's holidays.

I've got a good one. In my area of work on control systems for manufacturing lines, we have a concept called Master Units and Slave Units. As far as I know it's been around since the dawn of control systems. And it of course refers to mechanical equipment, and is no endorsement of human slavery. It's been suggested that we don't use those terms anymore, instead we sometimes now say Main Unit and Subordinate Unit. But these are terms used in plants all around the world and the terminology is not gonna change, nor should it.

Wigglytuff
Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Reguardless of what they "should" have been called, they weren't. They have been known universally as white and black boards and are being changed for PC. That's the point here ;) I doubt very much a primary age child is going to connect a blackboard or whiteboard with racial issues. Unless it's written on them.
:rolleyes: lame. like i said this is why people who are complaining about this correct change should get hobbies "i dont care if it's not black board (because its green) thats what they used to call it in my day and any change is the result of PC crazyness gone mad!!" its silly. and whiteboard??? thats got to be the stupidest thing ever. is the phrase "dry-erase" too complex? i dont get it. is there a joke i am not getting? i think the idea of people defending these completely incorrect names is whats REALLY the problem. like whats wrong with them they they are soooooo overly attached to something that is sooooo plainly wrong? :confused:

*JR*
Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
:rolleyes: lame. like i said this is why people who are complaining about this correct change should get hobbies "i dont care if it's not black board (because its green) thats what they used to call it in my day and any change is the result of PC crazyness gone mad!!" its silly. and whiteboard??? thats got to be the stupidest thing ever. is the phrase "dry-erase" too complex? i dont get it. is there a joke i am not getting? i think the idea of people defending these completely incorrect names is whats REALLY the problem. like whats wrong with them they they are soooooo overly attached to something that is sooooo plainly wrong? :confused:
Fair question. The answer (IMO) is that "artificial social pressure to change the language quickly, even when no offense can be reasonably inferred" (say that 3 times fast!) ;) makes those "presumed 2B offended" look foolish. Let's take "black" vs. "African-American".

First, the latter is the proverbial "mouthful", ala too many syllables. Second, black (I know, the word is "chromatically incorrect" re. skin tone) :p was itself an evolution of just the last 40 years. (After negro, which Dr. King himself used).

Apart from ppl speaking for broadcast or writing for publication, few ppl (including blacks, or A-A's if you prefer) actually speak that way. Thus it sounds or reads as so scripted that it appears somewhat defensive (like in Shakespeare's line "the lady doth protest too much").

And to what end? I'm sure the average black/A-A hotel chambermaidperson would much rather get decent pay and benefits and be called black, than get their present deal and be called African-American. And: is referring to Venus and Serena as black @ all racist? (In the absence of anything else; BTW, calling either a "negress" would be in and of itself, IMO).

So "what's the big deal here"? Its that (besides the appearance of pandering by Progressive Politicians, who aren't "immunized" by their "tough image", like conservatives) it makes the "white working class" feel that liberals are out of touch with them, and look down @ them. Making those folks more likely to vote for a Reagan or a dubya, based on their gut reaction to that.

*JR*
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Male athletics are only superior because they have a huge jump on female athletics. Female athletics still haven't been completely accepted by society, so naturally the development of female athleticism isn't going to be on par with the men. The women simply haven't been given as much opportunity to raise their athleticism to it's potential height like the men....
Funny that I was just posting about PC in Non-Tennis, when the words quoted here are (with no disrespect to these phenomenal female athletes) utter PC bullshit, that by their obvious falsehood actually hurt the women players' case!

Men are on average simply taller, stronger, and faster than women. Do you seriously think Steffi could have won one Slam singles title on the men's circuit, let alone 22? Or that the dominant Serena of '02-'03 would have gotten past the 4th round @ any, or won any ATP titles? (Much less a Masters Series event). And would Roddick, who "can't buy a title" on the mens side, even face a breakpoint vs. the top women?

Brian Stewart gave a good thoughtful response in support of the women, though I don't know the stats. (But one almost never sees a 3 hour match in women's tennis, while its common in men's "3 out of 5", with some even exceeding 4 hours). Either way, the point is that he addressed tennis, you peddled a bunch of "feelgood philosophical BS".

(Footnote: I clarified my earlier post ITT that the WTA gets nearly $1 million per Slam, not for the 4 together).

meyerpl
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Funny that I was just posting about PC in Non-Tennis, when the words quoted here are (with no disrespect to these phenomenal female athletes) utter PC bullshit, that by their obvious falsehood actually hurt the women players' case!

Men are on average simply taller, stronger, and faster than women.
;)

Yeah, but women are smarter.

azdaja
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
it's a bit exaggerated that political correctness is an example of governments trying to control our lives. political correctness makes sense if people in question are really offended by certain words, but even this is difficult to determine in some cases. therefore people should never go too far with it. it's patronising and annoying. unfortunately some political groups put it at the core of their policies and are completely out of touch with reality and have little to do with what the people they supposedly represent really need.

Martian Willow
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM

White people aren't white. Please stop using this offensive term!!! :mad: :fiery: :)

*JR*
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
The negative connotations of "blackmail", "blacklist", and "black magic" are obviously racist. :tape:

Wigglytuff
Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
Fair question. The answer (IMO) is that "artificial social pressure to change the language quickly, even when no offense can be reasonably inferred" (say that 3 times fast!) ;) makes those "presumed 2B offended" look foolish. Let's take "black" vs. "African-American".

First, the latter is the proverbial "mouthful", ala too many syllables. Second, black (I know, the word is "chromatically incorrect" re. skin tone) :p was itself an evolution of just the last 40 years. (After negro, which Dr. King himself used).

Apart from ppl speaking for broadcast or writing for publication, few ppl (including blacks, or A-A's if you prefer) actually speak that way. Thus it sounds or reads as so scripted that it appears somewhat defensive (like in Shakespeare's line "the lady doth protest too much").

And to what end? I'm sure the average black/A-A hotel chambermaidperson would much rather get decent pay and benefits and be called black, than get their present deal and be called African-American. And: is referring to Venus and Serena as black @ all racist? (In the absence of anything else; BTW, calling either a "negress" would be in and of itself, IMO).

So "what's the big deal here"? Its that (besides the appearance of pandering by Progressive Politicians, who aren't "immunized" by their "tough image", like conservatives) it makes the "white working class" feel that liberals are out of touch with them, and look down @ them. Making those folks more likely to vote for a Reagan or a dubya, based on their gut reaction to that.
i think you miss understood my post... or maybe i miss understand yours

i was asking why is that people are so attached to calling a green chalk board a black board. its not about "pc gone mad" its about the fact that its wrong. which is no big deal in it of itself, but then when its like um "um.. thats a chalk board, its not black board because its not even black" people (such as some in this thread) act like the sky is falling. what wrong with the sky is fall -esque people that they are so attached to being wrong?

Wigglytuff
Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
The negative connotations of "blackmail", "blacklist", and "black magic" are obviously racist. :tape:
and here in lies another issue... these are more complex linguistic issues and each word is going to have its own history and sometimes those histories are unknown saying that a particular word is or is NOT something based on nothing is ass.