PDA

View Full Version : A question of tennis dresses and being ladylike

AjdeNate!
May 20th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Over the past week and a half, I've watched a handful of tennis matches on tv with my mom. She's not a fanatic, and only knows Martina I & II, Monica, Steff, Chris, but not so many of the younger players. Some of her comments really got me thinking. Since she is 'new' to some of the new players, playing styles, outfits, attitudes, etc. I think I'd group her with the 'common' people, as far as, most people in the world have no idea what certain tennis players look like, let alone their names.

Anyway, to my point... She really got me thinking about a few things. She wanted to know where the 'predominantly' white outfits went. She was surprised to see the girls playing with pinks, purples, yellows, etc. Along the same lines, she really found it inappropriate some of the dresses that were being worn. Everytime a certain player served, her already 'barely there' shirt would ride up and you could see her bra. Another player's "skirt" and I use the term as loosely as the fabric was being worn, showed another players ass. Yes she had on 'spankies'...but you could still see her ass everytime she moved.

She wondered if tennis' female athletes were gaining something by exposing themselves. Yes they all look good, and are very athletic, but is there ever a time that showing your undergarments or ass is appropriate? She really found it awful, how poor the sport has gotten - insofarasmuch as attire. She finds the level of play and competition level to be amazing, but just thinks perhaps the girls need to cover their best ass-ets.

Thoughts? (And, if you bash my mother I will personally kick your booty :) )

angele87
May 20th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Well like you, my mum is also a very casual tennis watcher and only watches tennis when I watch. Anyways like your mum, she has a few comments about the outfits today... she was particularily :eek: at Daniela's little cocktail dress from OZ and also had a few choice words for Anna K lol

Fingon
May 20th, 2002, 09:49 PM
players should play in toppless

Venus+Serena#1fan
May 20th, 2002, 10:18 PM
They should wear whatever they want and whatever they feel comfortable in, i hate when ppl make comments like 'oh they want to be more popular so they expose themselves' do you really know that??? no, so let them wear what they want and live in peace.

Volcana
May 20th, 2002, 10:30 PM
The definition of 'ladylike' has changed over the years. Women particiapting in athletics AT ALL wasn't considered 'ladylike', in my lifetime. Jenni C's running ..err .. commentary is still brings me up short. But that isn't a reflection on Jenn, it's a reflection on ME. My S.O. wouldn't be caught dead in skirts as short as the players wear. If I got to choose her wardrobe, half of it would be exactly like what the players wear.

Values differ.

Bella
May 20th, 2002, 10:35 PM
I don't think that's what you wear when you want to live in peace.

That's what you wear when you want to flaunt what you've got.

I like their clothes, but I wish the ones who gain a little here and there would keep an extra size around. (say...Jen, Serena)

disposablehero
May 20th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Short tennis skirts are ladylike as long as there is underwear beneath.

Venus+Serena#1fan
May 20th, 2002, 11:14 PM
living in peace is doing what u want, for the players that wear sexy dresses, thats part of living in peace for them.

Sam L
May 21st, 2002, 02:07 PM
Well I prefer the 1920's, 30's fashions, I loved the way Suzanne and Helen Wills used to dress. Players today would look absolutely elegant and ladylike in those dresses. Fingon, topless? that'll be the day I stop watching or associating with this sport. LOL

sickish1
May 22nd, 2002, 03:02 AM
What the hell are 'spankies'? :confused:

Williams Rulez
May 22nd, 2002, 09:21 AM
I think it is fine... this is nothing compared to what Britney wears...

Or Mariah... she wears undergarments as clothes... :o

Beat
May 22nd, 2002, 10:06 AM
these are tennis players. they are athletes. athletes usually wear not too many clothes. they don't have to be "ladylike". they have to run around. they have to hit balls. and yes, sometimes they even sweat.

salima
May 22nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
What is "laydylike". A player should wear what he or she felt comfortable to play in. In my mothers days the women used to ski in long dresses. Perhaps it is ladylike, but fortunately she never insisted me to put on her skiing outfit. When it comes to sport I like to see the body move, like to see the legs move, arms move, asses move.Balance, coordination, control, power and elegance. That´s tennis.