PDA

View Full Version : Mother killed after shielding daughter from swarm of bees.

Veritas
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Dug out an old article from Melbourne's 'Herald Sun' (03/03/2000).

Unfortunately, I can't find an article from the newspaper's website archive, since it goes back only a week if I don't want to pay a fee.

Anyway, here's a vague extract from elsewhere:

http://www.dailyexcelsior.com/00mar04/inter.htm
Bees kill woman in Sydney, attack baby.

SYDNEY, Mar 3.

A swarm of bees attacked a mother and her baby in Sydney, killing the woman and stinging the child more than 50 times, police said..

Maryanne Savor, 38, and her year-old daughter Natalie were playing on the front lawn of their Sydney home yesterday when thousands of bees kept in hives in the garage swarmed over them.

Savor tried to run inside her house, but collapsed at the front door and died, probably from a toxic reaction to the multiple stings. Her baby was found crying at her feet and rushed to hospital in a serious but stable condition.

"I have never seen a bee attack as bad as this before," Dr Alyson Kakakios, who treated the baby, said today.

Police and ambulance officers who rescued the baby were also badly stung by the bees, but were treated in hospital and released.

A beekeeper called to the house said the eight hives inside Savorís garage each contained up to 80,000 bees. It was not known why the bees attacked.

Bee stings can result in a sudden allergic reaction which causes swelling in the throat and lungs and death. But Kakakios said only a small percentage of people were allergic to bees.

"Most commonly a bee sting simply injects a small amount of venom which causes a local inflammatory reaction rather than an allergic reaction," Kakakios told Australian radio.

"In this particular case itís very unusual ó there were multiple stings to the mother and also to the infant and in this case it can cause what is known as a fatal toxic reaction." (REUTERS)

What this article doesn't mention is that the woman also shielded her daughter from the bees, which obviously helped save the baby's life but cost her her own :sad:

beauty_is_pink
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:07 PM
reminds me of "My Girl" :sad:

Vacant
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Thats what I thought of too. :sad:

Veritas
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Feel really terrible for the poor daughter as well :sad:

She'll obviously live the rest of her life without a mother who loved her enough to sacrifice her own life for her :sad:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I do remember hearing this story on National Geographic a couple of years ago.
It was sad then and it's sad now.

UDACHi
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
:awww:

TF Chipmunk
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM
:sad: Did they not know there were eight hives in their garage? That's horrible :(

Ellery
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
:sad:

tennisboi
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM
How awful:sad:;eek:

tennisboi
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM
How awful:sad::eek:

LostGlory
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM