PDA

View Full Version : One - Mary J Blige ft U2

Josh
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:46 PM
This is one of the rare remakes of a song that I actually like better than the original. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Dava
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I have to admit i do really like it, even though Bono has his cheesy "mary" bit and sometimes Mary seems to be singing OTT in order to prove that she can sing well. Still it works very well and I bought MJB's album because of it!

jenny161185
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:00 PM
ill be honest I prefer the original but thats because I cant stand Mary J Blige

Dahveed
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I don't think it's better than the original. I don't see anything special about this version :confused:

Josh
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I dunno maybe it's because I'm suffering from a Bono overdose :silly: but I have to say that Mary's voice does lift the song to a higher level.

V-MAC
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:02 PM
hmm..I think there was a thread similar to this not too long ago but anyway, Mary does a great job. as far as covers go, her version of One is amazing but nothing can beat the original ;)

Tennisballova
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
The new version isn't bad, but the original one is the best.

Andy_
Apr 18th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I dunno maybe it's because I'm suffering from a Bono overdose :silly: but I have to say that Mary's voice does lift the song to a higher level.

I'm with you on this one, Josh! I'm not a big U2 fan, but I've always loved 'One'. I am particularly fond of a version sung by R.E.M. live... and this one just brings the song to another level, it's so intense and Mary J is definitely giving her all. I don't even see it as a 'can you hear it? I can sing' effort, she seems to just be letting her feelings out :D

shirley
Apr 18th, 2006, 06:51 PM
My sister is like that with this song. She doesn't really like the U2 original but she likes the cover version with Mary J Blige that she bought it!

!<blocparty>!
Apr 18th, 2006, 08:11 PM
At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but after a few listens it's cool. I don't think it shows what an amazing voice Mary has, she sounds a bit patchy in parts tbh. I can see why people would detest this type of song, too, lots of Mariah-esq waffling. :p

Grachka
Apr 18th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I think Mary does an OK job on this one, it could have gone wrong so badly.

She does go over the top in places though. Like the original better though.

Hot 92 Jamz
Apr 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I don't think it's better than the original. I don't see anything special about this version :confused:

Although I'm a more recent Mary J. Blige fan, I do agree with you. She doesn't enhance the song, IMHO.