PDA

View Full Version : Cold-hearted Apple Computer Letter breaks little girl's heart!

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2006, 12:56 AM
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/04/17/apple.makes.girl.cry/
Apple letter breaks little girl's heart-Monday, April 17th
Apple's corporate policy for dealing with unsolicited ideas may be changing.

The company held a special meeting to discuss ways to improve its cold-hearted, boiler-plate response to any unsolicited improvements or suggestions submitted to the company, after it found out that it shattered a nine-year girl's heart. According to CBS 5 News, 9-year-old Shea O'Gorman wrote to Apple CEO Steve Jobs as her class was learning about writing business and formal letters. The third-grader wrote Jobs to offer suggestions on improving her iPod nano, such as adding song lyrics so listeners can sing along to their tunes. Although it took three months, the company finally responded to her letter--although it was not what O'Gorman and her family were expecting. Instead of a polite response from Jobs, the girl received a cold, stern letter from Apple's legal counsel telling her that the company didn't accept unsolicited ideas and that she should not send any suggestions to the company.
Apple's full legal policy, designed to protect itself from protracted legal battles about royalties and licensing from submitted ideas, was available online, according to the letter received and read by both O'Gorman and her family.

"She was very upset, and kinda threw the letter up in the air and ran in her room and slammed her door," the girl's mother told CBS 5 News.

Although Apple declined to comment on the story, a company representative reportedly called the girl to offer an apology (following an inquiry by CBS 5 News); in addition, the report says that Apple held a special meeting last week to discuss ways in which it could improve its corporate policy when dealing with children.

TF Chipmunk
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:10 AM
:( Now she's probably scarred for life too :sad: She's never going to trust the business world ever again :sad:

UDACHi
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:10 AM
:speakles: Bitches. :mad:

Pheobo
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Oh boo hoo :crying2:

I think Apple has enough shit to deal with right now without some little girl sending annoying letters.

Although I do think they could've made the situation a lot better by just not responding.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah, that's nothing. You people should see the shit that I have to tell people all day "on behalf of Apple". Douchebags. Not that they are any different from any other big corporation in that regard :)

dementieva's fan
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Apple is EVIL :devil:

Martian Willow
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Thats one less deluded Apple fangirl. :)

Perfection
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:31 AM
:haha: What a brat.

Perfection
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Another thing, how did something like this make it into the news? :o I have more interesting piles of shit than this story.

dementieva's fan
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Another thing, how did something like this make it into the news? :o I have more interesting piles of shit than this story.

Like that living parasite with tentacles that you found in your shit :lol:

Perfection
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Like that living parasite with tentacles that you found in your shit :lol:

Exactly :haha: :angel:

AjdeNate!
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:49 AM
iHow iAwful is iThat?

Veritas
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Lawyers :rolleyes:

The response may seem like nothing to older people, but Apple should've taken into account the kid's only 9 and isn't likely to start legal battles about royalties.

Still, I don't feel much sympathy for the girl. The response probably gave her a head start to learn about how vindictive lawyers are.

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:22 AM
iHow iAwful is iThat?
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: iLOL you iRock!!

decemberlove
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:22 AM

The response may seem like nothing to older people, but Apple should've taken into account the kid's only 9 and isn't likely to start legal battles about royalties.

Still, I don't feel much sympathy for the girl. The response probably gave her a head start to learn about how vindictive lawyers are.

But her parents might have.

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:25 AM

seriously... its like if someone sends you a letter with sloppy handwritting written with crayon, you dont write back with "DONT GIVE ME IDEAS OR I WILL SUE YOU AND EAT YOUR PARENTS!!!" its common on. lets be just a tiny bit compassionate...

but its sad but true that she learned a very important lesson.

AjdeNate!
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:35 AM
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: iLOL you iRock!!
:kiss: And iHeart you my little iLez.

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:14 AM
:kiss: And iHeart you my little iLez.
:kiss: :hearts:

RVD
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Oh boo hoo :crying2:

I think Apple has enough shit to deal with right now without some little girl sending annoying letters.

Although I do think they could've made the situation a lot better by just not responding.In all honesty, this is indicative of the Apple Culture.
I submitted an application and endured the most indignant interview of my life, with one of Steve Job's other company [which will remain nameless], and I found out first-hand why he is so hated by his own people. To label him an asshole would be to insult all assholes everywhere, and is one main reason I've avoided every product with an Apple logo, or anything associated with 'little-dick' Steve. :fiery:

Bacardi
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:44 AM
That's awful. Damn, the business world needs a pulse check! See if they even have a heart left!

Scotso
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:58 AM
I can understand both sides. I'm sure it's disheartening for a little girl, but I understand the policy. These big companies get sued at the drop of a hat.

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:12 AM
I can understand both sides. I'm sure it's disheartening for a little girl, but I understand the policy. These big companies get sued at the drop of a hat.
thats not true! :eek: i have never heard of anyone sueing anyone esle for a stupid reason...

in completely unrelated news:
Property owners file lawsuit, want swimming pool

Nancy Powell
Associate Editor
Property owners in Lighthouse Sound filed a lawsuit last week because a swimming pool was not built in the development as expected.
http://www.oceancity.md/octoday/headline.cfm?PubID=3421

:lol: :lol:

Martian KC
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Shea is a girl's name?

Avid Merrion
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
:lol: welcome to the real world little girl :devil:

CooCooCachoo
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Uhm, song lyrics on your iPod? :tape: Just listen :rolleyes:

Sorry, but the company had every right. I would respond the same way.

Boohoo to the girl :rolleyes:

And indeed, this should not be on CBS :tape:

Veritas
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I'm amazed people think it's O.K. for Apple to treat a kid with such animosity, especially when the kid did no wrong. The kid wasn't even attacking Apple or making a complaint to them - how does that make her a "brat"? :confused:

Like MelissaTorresFan said, it's understandable why Apple's defensive, but there's a point when they have to sit back and take into account how important customer service is.

All the girl did was write a simple and inoffensive letter. There was nothing she did that warranted Apple's response. If she was rude, then Apple might have a reason to be "cold". But even that's debatable: many companies train their staff to always be polite to customers, even when the customers are rude. I've worked part-time in a marketing firm before, and customer service is always emphasised as something that everyone must take seriously.

The point about customer service is to (1) win more customers and (2) not lose any customers. Obviously that simple idea's lost on Apple :tape:

alfonsojose
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Bitchy girl. Get a life :p

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm amazed people think it's O.K. for Apple to treat a kid with such animosity, especially when the kid did no wrong. The kid wasn't even attacking Apple or making a complaint to them - how does that make her a "brat"? :confused:

Like MelissaTorresFan said, it's understandable why Apple's defensive, but there's a point when they have to sit back and take into account how important customer service is.

All the girl did was write a simple and inoffensive letter. There was nothing she did that warranted Apple's response. If she was rude, then Apple might have a reason to be "cold". But even that's debatable: many companies train their staff to always be polite to customers, even when the customers are rude. I've worked part-time in a marketing firm before, and customer service is always emphasised as something that everyone must take seriously.

The point about customer service is to (1) win more customers and (2) not lose any customers. Obviously that simple idea's lost on Apple :tape:

i agree apple needs to trend very lightly because lately they have been doing many many things to anger loyal costumers, charging $50 for updates, and threatening little girls with death and lawsuits is NOT really helping. the girl did it as a school project and doesnt warrant that kind of response.

to those who wonder who its news worthy, i think it is only in so much as apples unnaturally harsh and legalistic response to the suggestions of a little girl.

Grachka
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM
The girl is a little bit sensitive. She stormed off crying just because Apple didn't accept her idea? It was a shit idea anyway, no need to windowdress it.

I did something similar when I was young, sent a letter off with what I thought were great ideas to a computer game company. They sent a fairly abrupt letter back saying they didn't accept ideas from the public. Guess what? I got over it and my parents didn't run to the media to run a pointless story.

Veritas
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
The girl is a little bit sensitive. She stormed off crying just because Apple didn't accept her idea? It was a shit idea anyway, no need to windowdress it.

No-one's "windowdressing" anything. That's why the story's specifically about a 9 year old girl. Not many people will consider anything groundbreaking from children at that age.

I did something similar when I was young, sent a letter off with what I thought were great ideas to a computer game company. They sent a fairly abrupt letter back saying they didn't accept ideas from the public. Guess what? I got over it and my parents didn't run to the media to run a pointless story.

Interesting.

The point is that Apple chose to reply insensitively. And there was no good reason for them to do so. If they would've at least sent a standard and emotionless yet professional reply, then there wouldn't be any need for the media (and the parents) to jump on their backs.

Besides, it's not as if the girl herself sold the story to the media. If anything, rant at the parents for blowing this way outta proportion.

ico4498
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:47 PM
tough on the kid ... but i'm pretty sure they're some scheming parents out there going "hmmm" ....

Grachka
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:50 PM
No-one's "windowdressing" anything. That's why the story's specifically about a 9 year old girl. Not many people will consider anything groundbreaking from children at that age.
Apple answered as any company would :shrug: These sort of things happen all the time.

Besides, all the article said was that Apple had sent a letter saying that they don't accept ideas and she should not send any suggestions to the company. Given that it would be an entirely useless exercise to send more suggestions, that sounds like pretty good advice. Companies aren't in business to send coochy-coo fawning letters to 9 year olds, because it's not their responsibility.

If they would've at least sent a standard and emotionless yet professional reply
But that is what they did do. It was a standard and emotionless reply, and the only reason this has become a news story is that the little girl was disappointed and had a tantrum. The only part of the article that suggested it was anything other than emotionless was the reference to it being "cold, stern", which is entirely subjective.

Besides, it's not as if the girl herself sold the story to the media. If anything, rant at the parents for blowing this way outta proportion.
Yeah, I was criticising the parents for prostituting this non-story to the media, not the girl ;)

Veritas
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:56 PM
But that is what they did do. It was a standard and emotionless reply, and the only reason this has become a news story is that the little girl was disappointed and had a tantrum. The only part of the article that suggested it was anything other than emotionless was the reference to it being "cold, stern", which is entirely subjective.

Point taken.

But I'm still in the dark about how "cold" and "stern" the reply really was, seeing that the kid did cry, throw the letter in the air and locked herself in her room...

Anyway, I guess we'll never know for sure unless a full copy of the letter's published.

Dawn Marie
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Welcome to corporate America little girl.

This girl may be our next president or even become a self made billionaire. GET MAD AND GET EVEN but BECOME BETTER !!!!

Dava
Apr 18th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Well I do think its a little over sensative on the girls part, but my next door neighbours did the same for a computer games company, and they got some free PC games out of it...maybe this girl wanted a free I pod.

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Well I do think its a little over sensative on the girls part, but my next door neighbours did the same for a computer games company, and they got some free PC games out of it...maybe this girl wanted a free I pod.
did you read the article?
she already has an ipod and she did it for a school assignment. :)

SelesFan70
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Why do parents and people in general try and "protect" kids from "bad things"? Kids must realize not everyone is gonna kiss their ass. It's the real world. So she got a rejection letter from Apple..big fuckin' whoop. There's a kid somewhere with no running water...get over yourself, sweetie.

I bet her parents will sue. :rolleyes:

CooCooCachoo
The company was not rude.

And I can't deduce whether she included in her letter she was nine-years-old :rolleyes:

Kart
"She was very upset, and kinda threw the letter up in the air and ran in her room and slammed her door," the girl's mother told CBS 5 News.

I hope her mother made her come back, pick up that letter and put it in the trash after she'd finished her moment of melodrama.

I wonder if she mentioned on the letter that she's nine years old.

harloo
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I see the Apple fanboy's and girls have arrived. I use to be mesmerized by their ipods until my battery went dead and they told me you are shit out of luck. Buy a new one, whatever, bla bla bla!!

The writing of a business letter to a big company is a common assignment in elementary school. I remember writing one to Hershey's asking for the recipe to one of their candy bars. I recieved a nice letter thanking me for my inquiry and gently telling me why they couldn't give me the recipe. They also included 3 coupons for free Hershey's products in the envelope. Great response.

For all those who say she is being sensitive, do you realize that this is a little girl? And considering that this is Apple's main market today they could of addressed the young lady better. Hell they could of even thrown in a $5 or $10 Itune gift certificate for good measure. This is surely a PR nightmare for Apple but I imagine they will continue go on like business as usual. Greedy bastards!!

Helen Lawson
Apr 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Cry me a river, little bitch! When I was 9 years old, we lived in a slum in extreme poverty, we barely had enough to eat, I had to wear dirty, filthy hand-me-downs from Florence, had rancid towels, and I had to collect bottles on the street for weeks with my brother to be able to attend an air-conditioned movie for 2 hours where I could dream of a better life.

harloo
Apr 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Why do parents and people in general try and "protect" kids from "bad things"? Kids must realize not everyone is gonna kiss their ass. It's the real world. So she got a rejection letter from Apple..big fuckin' whoop. There's a kid somewhere with no running water...get over yourself, sweetie.

I bet her parents will sue. :rolleyes:

Where did it say her parents would sue? :confused: And we as consumers must hold companies responsible for mistreating customers. She only gave ideas on how to better the ipod nano and instead of being given a nice reply detailing why they can't accept her idea, she got some hard nosed legal mumbo jumbo.

Wigglytuff
Apr 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I see the Apple fanboy's and girls have arrived.
and i see you have not read the thread... as most people who have expressed "upsetted ness" at apple are people who own apple products and those who defend apple sometimes do not.... :)

controlfreak
Apr 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
It said Apple's response was 'cold', not 'rude', 'offensive', 'threatening', 'insulting', or any other negative quality. Since when is a crime to write 'cold' letters? What do they expect, a warm, heartfelt, handwritten reply to every 9-year-old's letter? As if a company with millions of customers has the time to send out anything but the standard business-like template letter.

I hope that little girl's parents get run over by a bus tomorrow, for making me waste my time responding to this thread. :rolleyes:

drake3781
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Cry me a river, little bitch! When I was 9 years old, we lived in a slum in extreme poverty, we barely had enough to eat, I had to wear dirty, filthy hand-me-downs from Florence, had rancid towels, and I had to collect bottles on the street for weeks with my brother to be able to attend an air-conditioned movie for 2 hours where I could dream of a better life.

When I was a kid my brother and i went to the local Kroger and collected carts in their parking lot, pushed them into the store and into this machine that counted how many you had collected and gave you stamps. You put the stamps in these little books, then you could turn them in for food. We spent hours doing that. Then we would buy some food that we didn't have at home. :eek:

Rocketta
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:20 PM
have any of y'all considered that Apple probably gets letters upon letters of people claiming to be kids who probably aren't kids? They probably put a bunch of bruhaha in the letter hoping that will be the one thing that gets their letter read and passed to higher ups....ohhh look at the ingenius idea from a nine year old, we have to meet that kid? Then they find out it it's some rusty crusty adult wanting a patent and millions for their idea. :shrug:

Also, it doesn't say that the girl said she was 9 in her letter...maybe she did and maybe she didn't. Let's say she did say she was 9 and Apple's reply was basically fuck off.....what kind of parents does she have that would foster this meladrama? Would she have felt offended if they didn't even bother to respond? Do we know if Apple even read the whole letter or does the person who opens the mail just pass the name and address on to the legal dept and then they send out a standard letter.

I seriously doubt Apple hires people to read every letter received and to respond with personal details to each letter. :shrug:

Wigglytuff
Apr 19th, 2006, 01:43 AM
have any of y'all considered that Apple probably gets letters upon letters of people claiming to be kids who probably aren't kids? They probably put a bunch of bruhaha in the letter hoping that will be the one thing that gets their letter read and passed to higher ups....ohhh look at the ingenius idea from a nine year old, we have to meet that kid? Then they find out it it's some rusty crusty adult wanting a patent and millions for their idea. :shrug:

Also, it doesn't say that the girl said she was 9 in her letter...maybe she did and maybe she didn't. Let's say she did say she was 9 and Apple's reply was basically fuck off.....what kind of parents does she have that would foster this meladrama? Would she have felt offended if they didn't even bother to respond? Do we know if Apple even read the whole letter or does the person who opens the mail just pass the name and address on to the legal dept and then they send out a standard letter.

I seriously doubt Apple hires people to read every letter received and to respond with personal details to each letter. :shrug:

i agree with everything you say. and i still think apple was wrong here. :bounce:

Rtael
Apr 19th, 2006, 02:10 AM
:yawn: Thanks for posting this non-story!

Rtael
Apr 19th, 2006, 02:11 AM
i agree with everything you say. and i still think apple was wrong here. :bounce:

:scratch:.......:shrug:

Some young dogs can't be taught new tricks either...

joepike
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:01 PM
In all honesty, this is indicative of the Apple Culture.
I submitted an application and endured the most indignant interview of my life, with one of Steve Job's other company [which will remain nameless], and I found out first-hand why he is so hated by his own people. To label him an asshole would be to insult all assholes everywhere, and is one main reason I've avoided every product with an Apple logo, or anything associated with 'little-dick' Steve. :fiery:

OMG, the minions of the evil empire from Redmond are raising their ugly heads again ....

Pengwin
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM
On the face, Apple is so lar-dee-dar, but in actuality they treat their customers and employees like shit

joepike
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:11 PM
']On the face, Apple is so lar-dee-dar, but in actuality they treat their customers and employees like shit

That's why most Apple customers are Apple fans, no?

Erika_Angel
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Oh please, as if this little girl got a personalized letter. She was thrown in the 'trying to give suggestions' pile by some 14 yr old pimple faced job experience school boy and then recieved the generic response for such letters.

Granted the little girl deserved more, but get over it, running to your room and chucking a hissy fit? What did she expect from them anyway? "Wow that idea is fantastic! We will put it on our new Ipods! Thanks for the Idea! XOXO" .... :shrug:

drake3781
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM
The answers to this thread are cracking me up. :lol: