PDA

View Full Version : Suicide bomber kills 6 in Tel Aviv

tennislover
Apr 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/17/telaviv.blast/index.html
JERUSALEM (CNN) -- A suicide bomber set off a blast Monday in a restaurant at the old central bus station in Tel Aviv, Israel, killing six people, police and ambulance services said.

The bomber also died.

The bomber scuffled with a security guard outside a falafel stand, tried to push himself inside and blew himself up, a police commander said.

Police said 49 people were taken to hospitals. One of those victims later died of his wounds. Another eight people were critically wounded and 12 others were in moderate condition, ambulance officials said.

The Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility. (Watch emergency responders work to save victims after the attack -- 1:35)

Palestinian Islamic Jihad is dedicated to the creation of an Islamic Palestinian state and the destruction of Israel. Israel and the United States consider the group to be a terrorist organization, and it has carried out military operations against Israeli soldiers and civilians.

The attack marked the first time a suicide bomber has been able to enter Israel and blow himself up since the Hamas-led government assumed power over the Palestinian Authority last month.

In Ramallah, West Bank, Palestinian legislator Saeb Erakat said Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas condemned the attack. Erakat said the attack is against the best interests of Palestinians.

On January 19, a suicide bomber attacked a falafel restaurant in what was reported to be the year's first suicide bombing in Israel.

Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said Monday's attack occurred at the same eatery.

The old bus station is a mall area usually packed with workers.

Israeli police have said it is difficult to patrol, making it a favorite target of suicide bombers

what a huge, endless tragedy
how to stop that?

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

*JR*
Apr 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I wonder (now that Hamas has gone into politics instead of terror) how many of their ex-combatants have simply switched their affiliation to Islamic Jihad, the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, etc. If there's a silver lining here, @ least they don't (yet) have WMD. (Though I still worry that Iranian supplied enriched uranium, while it wouldn't make a nuke now, could be used in a socalled "dirty bomb" designed to kill thru fallout). :(

jmd
Apr 17th, 2006, 12:55 PM
:sad:

Meteor Shower
Apr 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
up to 8 killed..

I can think of some ways to stop that...

Meteor Shower
Apr 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Following a terror attack in Tel Aviv on Monday where at least seven people were reported killed, not including the suicide bomber, and at least 60 were wounded, two critically and 15 seriously, Israeli and Palestinian leaders responded to the attack.

Interim Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said, "We will know how to respond, we know what to do." (yeah right... :rolleyes: )

He continued to say that Israel was investigating what exactly had occurred and who was responsible, and also wished a speedy recovery to the wounded and condolences to the families of victims.

"This is painful," Shimon Peres said Monday in response to the suicide attack that killed six people at Tel Aviv's old central bus station.

"But we will continue the democratic process," he continued, referring to the swearing-in of the 17th Knesset, scheduled to begin at three p.m. Monday.

"That's who we are," Peres declared.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM
:sad: :mad: :sad:

:(

Sevenseas
Apr 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :sad: :sad:

SelesFan70
Apr 17th, 2006, 04:12 PM
But I thought having Israel withdraw from Gaza and some of the West Bank would stop all this... :tape:

:rolleyes:

cerbero
Apr 17th, 2006, 04:20 PM
But I thought having Israel withdraw from Gaza and some of the West Bank would stop all this... :tape:

How naive of you :rolleyes:

tennislover
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
number of deaths is now 9 :sad:

Scotso
Apr 17th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Awful :sad:

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:22 PM

stupid UN :rolleyes:

Meteor Shower
Apr 17th, 2006, 09:49 PM
US, UK, Germany condemn bombing

As usual they condemn, will any action be taken? of course not.

And of course Israel has decided not to make a major reply. They still believe that peace can be made.
Is it too much to ask not to have any contact with them as long as the bombings and kassams are not stopped?

dementieva's fan
Apr 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM
stupid UN :rolleyes:

What has UN got to do with this? :confused:

Hulet
Apr 17th, 2006, 10:13 PM
US, UK, Germany condemn bombing

As usual they condemn, will any action be taken? of course not.

And of course Israel has decided not to make a major reply. They still believe that peace can be made.
Is it too much to ask not to have any contact with them as long as the bombings and kassams are not stopped?
US, EU and Canada has stopped giving aid to PA. I think that's an "action."

dementieva's fan
Apr 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM
The extremist should keep the people out of their shit. :mad: . Activities like these are definately not going to help make any headway in compromise with Israel. They should be asked to read biography of Ghandi

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM
What has UN got to do with this? :confused:

United Nations was applying a lot of pressure on Israel to give Palestine the land and tried to help negotiate which as we can plain see did nothing. Plus that organization is a joke imo though :p

flyingmachine
Apr 17th, 2006, 10:16 PM
:sad:

sapir1434
Apr 17th, 2006, 10:24 PM
The same old story... same pics... same reason... everything is the same :sad:

Meteor Shower
Apr 17th, 2006, 10:34 PM
US, EU and Canada has stopped giving aid to PA. I think that's an "action."

You are right. it is an action, and a blessed one. I hope it will eventually have an effect, in the meanwhile Russia and the arabic countries are helping the PA. I'm just frustrated that despite the action kassams are still being launched and bombings are still being bombed.

Scotso
Apr 18th, 2006, 12:14 AM
You are right. it is an action, and a blessed one. I hope it will eventually have an effect, in the meanwhile Russia and the arabic countries are helping the PA. I'm just frustrated that despite the action kassams are still being launched and bombings are still being bombed.

Arabic nations have pledged monetary support, but they don't have any money to give. Also, Israel collects taxes for the Palestinians, but after Hamas took over they stopped giving them the tax money.

Hamas won't last long in the government there. But still, Hamas being gone won't stop these extremists.

*JR*
Apr 18th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Arabic nations have pledged monetary support, but they don't have any money to give. ...
Yeah, they just give their oil away, that's why gasoline costs about 79 cents a gallon in the US. :scratch:

Scotso
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Yeah, they just give their oil away, that's why gasoline costs about 79 cents a gallon in the US. :scratch:

Iran isn't really one of those nations that's drowning in oil money, neither are the ones that will actually pledge support, because of the fact that their money comes from the Western world and the Western world doesn't approve of Hamas.

Is anyone else disturbed that the price of oil is at an all-time high? :o They say it will be up to 4$ a gallon in the U.S. this summer. :scared: Oil companies seem to be able to raise prices whenever they want, too. They're making a killing of gouging us.