PDA

View Full Version : The Most Homophobic Place on Earth?

drake3781
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:11 AM
The Most Homophobic Place on Earth?

Crimes against gays are mounting in Jamaica and across the Caribbean
By TIM PADGETT/KINGSTON (javascript:void(0))

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1182991,00.html

Brian wears sunglasses to hide his gray and lifeless left eye—damaged, he says, by kicks and blows with a board from Jamaican reggae star Buju Banton. Brian, 44, is gay, and Banton, 32, is an avowed homophobe whose song Boom Bye-Bye decrees that gays "haffi dead" ("have to die"). In June 2004, Brian claims, Banton and some toughs burst into his house near Banton's Kingston recording studio and viciously beat him and five other men. After complaints from international human-rights groups, Banton was finally charged last fall, but in January a judge dismissed the case for lack of evidence. It was a bitter decision for Brian, who lost his landscaping business after the attack and is fearful of giving his last name. "I still go to church," he says as he sips a Red Stripe beer. "Every Sunday I ask why this happened to me."
Though familiar to Americans primarily as a laid-back beach destination, Jamaica is hardly idyllic. The country has the world's highest murder rate. And its rampant violence against gays and lesbians has prompted human-rights groups to confer another ugly distinction: the most homophobic place on earth.

(long story, continues at link above)

Here are some lyrics:
Banton's lyrics are hardly unique among reggae artists today. Another popular artist, Elephant Man (O'Neil Bryant, 29) declares in one song, "When you hear a lesbian getting raped/ It's not our fault ... Two women in bed/ That's two Sodomites who should be dead." Another, Bounty Killer (Rodney Price, 33), urges listeners to burn "Mister Fagoty" and make him "wince in agony."

Sam L
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Awful! Why would anyone want to listen to reggae anyway? But that's besides the point, the violence is deplorable.

TF Chipmunk
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:30 AM
How could they not like even lesbians :sad:

But anyway, this distinction doesn't mean anything. People will just ignore it and go there for vacation anyway. It's just sad that nothing can be done about it.

TF Chipmunk
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:31 AM
:yeah:
:confused:

^bibi^
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Jamaica seems less much idyllic now...

Ilikebigboobies
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Aruba Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
Bermuda Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo Montego baby why don't we go
Jamaica

Off the Florida Keys
There's a place called Kokomo
That's where you wanna go to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand
Tropical drink melting in your hand
We'll be falling in love
To the rhythm of a steel drum band
Down in Kokomo

Aruba Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast
And then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

To Martinique, that Monserrat mystique

We'll put out to sea
And we'll perfect our chemistry
By and by we'll defy a little bit of gravity

Afternoon delight
Cocktails and moonlit nights
That dreamy look in your eye
Give me a tropical contact high
Way down in Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama

We'll get there fast
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

Port Au Prince I wanna catch a glimpse

Everybody knows
A little place like Kokomo
Now if you wanna go
And get away from it all
Go down to Kokomo

We'll get there fast
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

drake3781
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:56 AM
^^ OMG I can't beieve you posted that song.............. I was just listening to Ben Kweller's cover of it. Let me find the link............

here it is (4th one on the page)
http://mookamotel.blogspot.com/2006/03/cerca.html

Solitaire
Apr 17th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Is it still illegal for same sex couples to get a hotel room in Jamaica? I don't condone the hate but Rastafarianism doesn't believe in Homosexuality and the rest of the pop. is mostly Christian so add that all up it's a bad time for gays.

pav
Apr 17th, 2006, 07:40 AM
The Taihape womens Toilet

azdaja
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
i'm kinda surprised there are not more discussions about this, given that there are so many gay people on this board.

i would describe myself as a fan of jamaican music (it's should be called dancehall, not reggae), so i am aware of what kind of lyrics are there in some songs. i wouldn't say the music is really the root of the problem, though, but it reflects what's going on in the society (kind of like hip hop in the us). however, it sure as hell does not help the situation.

it always annoys me when that happens at a dance - they start playing blatantly homophobic songs and the people dance happily without realising the content of the lyrics. patois is not easy to understand if you're not familiar with it.

more worryingly some fans of jamaican music do take jamaican culture seriously and adopt the same values, including homophobia. it's a pity because otherwise it is a very vibrant music scene.

tterb
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Wow. Those song lyrics are fairly depressing. I'm all for acceptance of cultural differences, but inciting others to violence against gays isn't a "cultural difference," it's just wrong. I suppose if the rest of the world cared enough, it'd be easy to ruin the Jamaican economy by boycotting vacations there. But that's obviously wishful thinking...

Paneru
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Is it still illegal for same sex couples to get a hotel room in Jamaica? I don't condone the hate but Rastafarianism doesn't believe in Homosexuality and the rest of the pop. is mostly Christian so add that all up it's a bad time for gays.

It cracks me up when I hear about people
but especially "Christians" spout hate of any
kind towards gay people. :retard:

GrandSlam05
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM
kind towards gay people. :retard:
Hilarious isn't it. :lol:
I'd love to buy some island paradise and give people a questionnaire as they arrive and if it reveals homophobia then burn them at the stake. :fiery:
Seriously though I won't be going to Jamaica. If not for tourism they'd probably starve to death because it's not like those lazy idiots would actually work for a living.

kabuki
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Seriously though I won't be going to Jamaica. If not for tourism they'd probably starve to death because it's not like those lazy idiots would actually work for a living.

:rolleyes: Do you actually know any Jamaicans?

Dawn Marie
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Awful! Why would anyone want to listen to reggae anyway? But that's besides the point, the violence is deplorable.

Don't let a few fools destroy your entire outlook. Bob Marley will always be a legend. He is ONE reason why I listen to reggae. Reggae is beautiful music!!

Dawn Marie
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Hilarious isn't it. :lol:
I'd love to buy some island paradise and give people a questionnaire as they arrive and if it reveals homophobia then burn them at the stake. :fiery:

Bitch you're a fool! Many Jamaicans work their asses off for a living. I'm talking about HARD WORK! More then what I can say for your spoon fed having mouth.

Yes I do know alot of Jamaicans!

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Don't let a few fools destroy your entire outlook. Bob Marley will always be a legend. He is ONE reason why I listen to reggae. Reggae is beautiful music!!

Raggae is beautiful music. Sinead O' Connor's attempt at raggae was actually surprisingly good.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM
:rolleyes: Do you actually know any Jamaicans?

I know some Jamaicans and let me tell you, they come with some EGOS.
Most Carribeans do have one but there seems to be just to be a little more with Jamaicans.
They're proud of their country and their background which I'm not exactly sure is a good thing considering this thread.
It's that God's gift to man part that gets me.
Sure some of them are in the looks department but it's the ones that are not that I guess annoys me.

GrandSlam05
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Bitch you're a fool! Many Jamaicans work their asses off for a living. I'm talking about HARD WORK! More then what I can say for your spoon fed having mouth.

Yes I do know alot of Jamaicans!
You criticize me for calling hate-mongers "lazy" then you call me "spoon-fed" even though you don't know me or anything about me. Nice.

Veritas
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1182991,00.html

I found this bit to be the most disturbing:

In 2004, a teen was almost killed when his father learned his son was gay and invited a group to lynch the boy at his school.

What kind of dad would ask others to kill his own flesh and blood?

Here are some lyrics:
Banton's lyrics are hardly unique among reggae artists today. Another popular artist, Elephant Man (O'Neil Bryant, 29) declares in one song, "When you hear a lesbian getting raped/ It's not our fault ... Two women in bed/ That's two Sodomites who should be dead." Another, Bounty Killer (Rodney Price, 33), urges listeners to burn "Mister Fagoty" and make him "wince in agony."

I'm appalled these words can find their way into mainstream music in this day and age :eek: :fiery:

kind towards gay people.

Why is it that whenever there's a thread about hate crimes, one or two posters will try to bring religion into it as wel?

Keep in mind that the only "Christian" person mentioned in the article was the gay victim himself.

azdaja
Apr 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Keep in mind that the only "Christian" person mentioned in the article was the gay victim himself.
homophobia in jamaica clearly has christian roots.

So, i don't know if the characterization of the most homophobic place is really in order, and neither is bashing an entire culture because of some people who are homophobic and have the means to spread their word through song.
well, there has been considerable violence against homosexuals in jamaica recently. did you actually read the article? otherwise i agree that not the entire culture and nation should be stigmatised and i wouldn't agree with boykott either. i mean, how would that improve things? some activists in the uk did try to prevent homophobic artists from performing there, but i don't have the impression it helped the situation. in fact it may have added some fuel to the fire.

a sort of a dialogue is needed. homophobia was not defeated within a day in europe, and there is no reason to believe it could be defeated in a day in jamaica.

oh and the music should be called "dancehall", not reggae. reggae is a part of it, but modern dancehall music is very electronic.

timafi
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM
all Carribean islands were under the French/Spaniards and Brits and most are catholics/protestants under colonial time.
So why does it surprise any of you if they don't like gays and lesbians? :scratch: :confused:
the catholic church has always rejected the gay community as sinners and recognizes the union between a man/woman only,so why would it be any different for them?
I think it's a matter of having an open mind and respecting everyone,gay or not;putting religion aside and looking at the person for a human is that he or she is and not focus on who that person has sex with and lives with :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Grachka
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:11 PM
You criticize me for calling hate-mongers "lazy" then you call me "spoon-fed" even though you don't know me or anything about me. Nice.
You said you wouldn't go to, and criticised an entire country for being lazy, and using tourism as an excuse to do this, not for hate-mongering.

Given you made these judgements on Jamaicans on the basis of one article, and don't really know anything about Jamaica or Jamaicans, you don't really have any justification for acting all wounded when people do the same to you. Practise what you preach!

Hence, she is right for identifying you as an idiot! :silly:

GrandSlam05
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM
You said you wouldn't go to, and criticised an entire country for being lazy, and using tourism as an excuse to do this, not for hate-mongering.

Given you made these judgements on Jamaicans on the basis of one article, and don't really know anything about Jamaica or Jamaicans, you don't really have any justification for acting all wounded when people do the same to you. Practise what you preach!

Hence, she is right for identifying you as an idiot! :silly:
I overreacted to the article I admit, and I expected her kind of response to my post I guess. It still doesn't explain the "spoon fed" comment though. If I were spoon fed, my mommy and daddy probably would've paid for a trip to Jamaica, which they didn't. :lol:

Dawn Marie
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Stupid bitch you left me no choice. You called the entire Jamaican people lazy and afraid of work. Then you implied that they needed people to come in and tear down their land(resorts) to live the good life. You sounded uppity and SPOON FED you asshole.

You're the kind of people that would fly to Jamaica and live off the land(resorts and beaches and hotels) but NEVER stopping to actually talk to the people who LIVE there. SPOON FED FOOL!

Paneru
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Why is it that whenever there's a thread about hate crimes, one or two posters will try to bring religion into it as wel?

Because this type of "hate crime" is
almost entirely based off religion.

Because religions don't condone it
idiots as such think it's for lack of
a better phrase, a liscence to kill.

That's why!

GrandSlam05
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Stupid bitch you left me no choice. You called the entire Jamaican people lazy and afraid of work. Then you implied that they needed people to come in and tear down their land(resorts) to live the good life. You sounded uppity and SPOON FED you asshole.

You're the kind of people that would fly to Jamaica and live off the land(resorts and beaches and hotels) but NEVER stopping to actually talk to the people who LIVE there. SPOON FED FOOL!
:cuckoo:
Tear down their land? WTF? And I HATE land-developers, but many are self-starters and weren't "spoon fed". :lol:

tenn_ace
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:40 PM
sounds like a place I won't be visiting any time soon...

CC
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Wow. Those song lyrics are fairly depressing. I'm all for acceptance of cultural differences, but inciting others to violence against gays isn't a "cultural difference," it's just wrong. I suppose if the rest of the world cared enough, it'd be easy to ruin the Jamaican economy by boycotting vacations there. But that's obviously wishful thinking...

What economy? A boycott wouldn't make any difference. Why do you think people have so much time on their hands for violence?

Kunal
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM
im thinkin middle east

SelesFan70
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM
im thinkin middle east

Me, too.. :shrug:

Kart
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I suspect there are places other than Jamaica where there is just as much homophobia but perhaps just less openly expressed.

Stamp Paid
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
LMAO

So I wonder if they do this to fornicators too

Helen Lawson
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM
This has some really great Reggae songs. One memorable one goes, "I want to bang her, I want to bang her. I want to bang her, I want to bang her. I go thrust, thrust, thrust." Bad movie, good soundtrack.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/6302263808.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

azdaja
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM
lol, can we please leave the middle east out of this for a change :rolleyes: this thread is about jamaica, the country that human rights organisations described as the most homophobic in the world. i am aware that other parts of the world have similar problems, but there's no need to mention them here. read the article. it's not the kind of article that i would have written, i've seen better ones, but it gives you an idea about the problem.

i discovered about this problem simply through my interest in jamaican music. there was a white guy here in my city who started bashing gays like a "true" rasta :rolleyes: that gave the entire reggae-dancehall scene in vienna a bad name.

tennisboi
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM
The deep south of the USA

kabuki
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I just can't be bothered to post by post reply to this thread, but some of you all are really a trip with your stereotyping and hypocricy.

azdaja
Apr 18th, 2006, 07:47 PM
the song that really got my blood boiling was chi chi man by tok:

From dem a par inna chi chi man car
Blaze di fire mek we bun dem!!!! (Bun dem!!!!)
From dem a drink inna chi chi man bar
Blaze di fire mek we dun dem!!!! (Dun dem!!!!)

chi chi man is the word they use for gays. the annoying thing about this song is its football hooligan way of singing which combined with a hateful message really sounds ugly :help:

and to think that tok otherwise have really nice girly songs :shrug:

controlfreak
Apr 18th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I bet those gays in Iran would gladly get beaten up with a surfboard to pay for their sins. It's better than getting hanged...

drake3781
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I bet those gays in Iran would gladly get beaten up with a surfboard to pay for their sins. It's better than getting hanged...

That's so strange that you said surfboard, because that's what I pictured too when I first read the story. I wonder why we both got that idea? :confused: But it's just a board, basically they beat him with a big piece of wood.

And yes, in Iran, gays are hanged, I have posted pictures here of it before.

azdaja
Apr 18th, 2006, 10:14 PM
too bad they get beaten to death in jamaica. not sure which is the better way to die :rolleyes:

Shenanigans
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:29 PM

What sins, it is the people inflicting the violence that should be paying for their sins, I bet all those gays would rather live in a place where they are not living in constant fear of violence. Rather than the attitude you may be getting your head smashed in but you will survive unlike those other poor people.

ico4498
Apr 19th, 2006, 03:24 AM
i had no idea this thread dealt with my homeland.

not that there aren't homophobes in Ja., but i just didn't make the connection/realization that we're the MOST homophobic earthlings.

may well be, i honestly don't know, how do yah measure such things?

the unfortunate dude (if yah believe his story) who lost an eye, has every right to anger. jes' don't try to tell me thats the proof. yup, the dancehall scene has lotsa anti mawmah man lyrics, dancehall music has some mometum internationally, but poll Jamaicans in Jamaica, ask 'em if dancehall determines their attitudes ...

the prime minister that won the most consecutive terms was rumored to be gay. he never acknowledged the rumors jes' continued to win elections.

i'm not gay so i'll never pretend to know all that ails yah, with respect i'll suggest that Jamaica holds no monopoly on fools.

peace!