PDA

View Full Version : "Fag-Hag", is this term outdated now?

Kirt12255
Apr 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM
:confused:

The last 2 nights I have been out, I have been acosted by a few women for using the term around them. Most women I talk to at clubs use the term like it's second language. One was there with her brother and was so offended she threw her ciggie at me. I try telling them that they are in the wrong venue is they feel offended. What do you guys think?

Now I truely can see where people CAN take offense, however it's only been a term of endearment to me. It's not something that I often say, I hardly attatch the term to every sentence I say. The word Fag in itself doesn't bother me, as long as I'm not labelled homosexual (makes me sound like some plant description);)

A Fag-Hag in my opinion has been an important theme in the gay scene. Sometimes it would be the "best friend you came out to", or the "chick you just get along so well with". Really it's a lot easier for your'e Fag Hag to do the introductions...quite simply "This is "name", and I'm "name" his Fag Hag"....rules out all the normal awkward questions that result...ie..."are you engaged", "How long have you been together"...and just simply means "we are both single, if you have a few single friends introduce us...byw if your'e a homophobe best to just move on now"....much simpler.;)

Wasn't it once a compliment to be considered a Fag Hag? Geesh I dunno, perhaps something happened that made it "politically incorrect"....maybe I've skipped a beat somewhere?:confused: .:confused:

drake3781
Apr 15th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Oh, hon, no.......... not for me anyway. I'd say the only thing to be careful of is to not make it look like (or treat her yourselflike ) girl has no life of her own besides as it revolves around you and her gay friends. If she goes out with you, she still wants to meet straight guys, so don't spend the entire night in gay clubs; and introduce her to all your straight guy friends.

Kirt12255
Apr 15th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Oh, hon, no.......... not for me anyway. I'd say the only thing to be careful of is to not make it look like (or treat her yourselflike ) girl has no life of her own besides as it revolves around you and her gay friends. If she goes out with you, she still wants to meet straight guys, so don't spend the entire night in gay clubs; and introduce her to all your straight guy friends.

That's the whole thing though...my friends aren't concerned about it. They quite like the term. It's female friends of friends that seem offended. :confused:

SelesFan70
Apr 15th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Eh, try not to worry about who you might be offending...but... You could call her your "friend" to solve the whole problem

Rocketta
Apr 15th, 2006, 04:31 AM
it doesn't bother me per say but I do expect my friends to refer to me by my actual name most of the time. If they are just using it as a term to describe our relationship then I don't have a problem with it. ;)

esquímaux
Apr 15th, 2006, 04:44 AM
The term may become outdated, but the people won't :tape:

Kirt12255
Apr 15th, 2006, 04:58 AM
it doesn't bother me per say but I do expect my friends to refer to me by my actual name most of the time. If they are just using it as a term to describe our relationship then I don't have a problem with it. ;)

:worship: Prolly the best place to use it....I call my friends by their first names or nickname...but they don't get offended if I call them a Fag Hag..coz they know it's in jest;) . Why do these chicks go to a gay bar if they are so easily offended:confused: :lol:

Rocketta
Apr 15th, 2006, 05:00 AM
:worship: Prolly the best place to use it....I call my friends by their first names or nickname...but they don't get offended if I call them a Fag Hag..coz they know it's in jest;) . Why do these chicks go to a gay bar if they are so easily offended:confused: :lol:

beats me....I've never been. I actually chickend out when I had the chance because why would I go someplace where I know I'm going to be ignored when I can get that in a straight bar. :o :p ;)

Naw I was just too tired and I'm not a bar/club type of person. :p

Kirt12255
Apr 15th, 2006, 05:01 AM
The term may become outdated, but the people won't :tape:

:scratch: My brain isn't terribly active active today so can't get the under rhythm of that one...will read it after more coffee ;)

Mase
Jul 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks Kirt, hope you have been well too!! :hug:

BTW I still use the term and my freinds dont care, guess it all depends on who yousay it about and making sure they know its actually NOT a bad thing..

Old thread I know, just wanted to say yo!

Kirt12255
Jul 26th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks Kirt, hope you have been well too!! :hug:

BTW I still use the term and my freinds dont care, guess it all depends on who yousay it about and making sure they know its actually NOT a bad thing..

Old thread I know, just wanted to say yo!

:wavey: heya Mase :hug: Hope all is well. ;)

partbrit
Jul 26th, 2006, 01:17 AM
It's in again, especially since Margaret Cho gave it such a boost. I mean, everything is subject to context.

Mrs. Peel
Jul 26th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Someone told me the new term is Fruit Fly :tape: I prefer hag. I can speak with authority because I am one.

My boys :hearts: :drool:

Rocketta
Jul 26th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Fruit Fly?? :spit:

Nyet, now I would be offended by that. :lol:

Mrs. Peel
Jul 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Fruit Fly?? :spit:

Nyet, now I would be offended by that. :lol:

As it turns out, I was offended! :lol:

Rocketta
Jul 26th, 2006, 05:34 AM
As it turns out, I was offended! :lol:

That's cause you're a smart girl. :lol:

drake3781
Jul 26th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Someone told me the new term is Fruit Fly :tape:

Haha, funny, :lol: and I wouldn't be offended, I would smile or laugh.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 26th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I don't mind it, because I am what I am. All my gays love me and that's just more love in my life. :wavey:

lindsayno1
Jul 26th, 2006, 10:49 PM
A Fag in england is a cigarrette. But as we are talking about the american term:

Quote Jack from will and Grace..." Whats in the baaaag faaag??!"