PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cosby Tells New Orleans Blacks To Reject Crime

harloo
Apr 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Bill Cosby tells New Orleans blacks to reject crime
Sat Apr 1, 2006 09:16 PM ET
http://wwwi.reuters.com/comX/images/clear.gif http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/w148/2006-04-02T023607Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_1_USREPORT-HURRICANES-PROTEST-DC.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:commonPopup('newsPhotoPresentation.jhtml?type=dom esticNews&imageID=1002903326', 540, 525, 1)) http://wwwi.reuters.com/comX/images/clear.gif

http://wwwi.reuters.com/comX/images/clear.gifBy Russell McCulley

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Entertainer Bill Cosby urged New Orleans' black population on Saturday to cleanse itself of a culture of crime as it rebuilds from the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina last year.

Cosby, whose criticism of some aspects of modern African-American culture has stirred controversy in recent years, told a rally headed by black leaders that the city needed to look at the "wound" it had before Katrina struck.

"It's painful, but we can't cleanse ourselves unless we look at the wound," Cosby told the rally of about 2,000 people in front of the city's convention center.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you had the highest murder rate, unto each other. You were dealing drugs to each other. You were impregnating our 13-, 12-, 11-year-old children," he said.

"What kind of a village is that?"

Cosby sparked heated debate in 2004, when he criticized blacks whom he said were putting a higher priority on music and fashion than on education and morality.

Before Katrina killed more than 1,300 people and displaced hundreds of thousands, New Orleans had nearly half a million residents, 70 percent of them black. An estimated 30 percent of the city had incomes below the poverty line.

Less than half the population has returned to the heavily damaged city and evacuees remain scattered across the country. Many of those who have come back are whites who lived in affluent areas that were less affected by flooding.

Other speakers, including civil rights activists Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, denounced what they said was an attempt by state and federal officials to disenfranchise the evacuees in April 22 local elections by not setting up out-of-state voting stations.

Jackson said evacuees should be allowed to vote in "satellite" polling places outside the state, just as Iraqi and Mexican expatriates have cast ballots from the United States in elections in their home countries.

"If we in fact can use this technology for Mexican-Americans and Mexico, then we ought to," Jackson said. "If we can use this technology for Iraqi-Americans in America to Baghdad, then we ought to. We can use the same technology for New Orleanians, wherever they are in America."

Voting stations will be available at 10 sites in Louisiana outside of New Orleans, but state officials have said casting ballots outside the state is not allowed.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, who is black and faces 21 challengers in his re-election campaign, said not enough was being done to guarantee a fair vote. "We deserve to be treated like Americans," he said.

azdaja
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:07 PM
well, the black people now finally have wealthy of their own kind who will preach them morals.

kiwifan
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM
well, the black people now finally have wealthy of their own kind who will preach them morals.

Finally??? :spit:

You don't know much about black America, do you? :haha:

griffin
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I think New Orleans Blacks should tell Bill to STFU. Most of them have enough to deal with without being lectured.

harloo
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Hmm...the problem is who's actually listening to Bill Cosby? The crime rate in NO was more a direct result of extreme poverty. It's no secret that when unemployment is high the crime rate soars in any community.

harloo
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I think New Orleans Blacks should tell Bill to STFU. Most of them have enough to deal with without being lectured.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

mandy7
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM
at least he's still ok with white ppl being criminals :rocker2:

:spit:
*sarcasm*

azdaja
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Finally??? :spit:

You don't know much about black America, do you? :haha:
i think i do.

I think New Orleans Blacks should tell Bill to STFU. Most of them
have enough to deal with without being lectured.
agree.

Hmm...the problem is who's actually listening to Bill Cosby? The crime rate in NO was more a direct result of extreme poverty. It's no secret that when unemployment is high the crime rate soars in any community.
i agree with that as well.

kiwifan
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:24 PM
i think i do.

That might be the problem. :p

azdaja
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM
That might be the problem. :p
alright, i will correct myself:

i do.

better?

kiwifan
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM

i do.

better?

no. :devil:

*JR*
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Much of what Cosby says about "black on black" crime, etc. is true. In fact Jesse Jackson has said many of the same things. But I don't recall the Coz ever challenging a status quo where a great many hardworking blacks (and whites, though a lower %) who "play by the rules" are ever more likely 2B paid crap wages for doing many non-glamorous jobs that keep society functioning. Like cleaning the houses and offices of ppl like... well, himself. Sorry Bill, America can't "Huxtable its way out of" social disintegration until even the orderlies such a doctor sees doing hospital rounds make enough that crime doesn't seem "worth the risk" to many young ppl by comparison.

griffin
Apr 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM

i do.

better?

It's more clear, but it's also more clearly wrong.

There've been black millionaires (or the inflation-adjusted equivalent) in America almost as long as their have been blacks in America. And I sincerely doubt Bill is the first among them to get preachy.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Bill for a while refused to say anything to the black community about it's flaws and strengths until his son died.
This is a new start for the black community in New Orleans.
What really stops black on black crime in areas is a good visual bunch of role models that live in the community that show from their example that there's more to life than just trying to get an easy fix.

They might not like what Bill has to say but Bill has nothing against them.
This is a man who has given his money and time to Temple University to attack the inner city blight problems at it's worst.
It's at least better than what Mayor John Street tried to do which was just cover the fences with black plastic bags that showed the inner city blight from downtown during the Republican Convention.

Black Mamba.
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Poverty is a powerful force that can make people do things they probably wouldn't normally do. I know that once you've made it and are able to leave the inner city you most likely don't want to go back and live there because when you go back you're more of a target than a hero. I look no further than the many Black athletes that grew up in the hood and give tons back to their communities, but they know they can't live in the hood because they tend to be targets of violence everytime they go out.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Poverty is a powerful force that can make people do things they probably wouldn't normally do. I know that once you leave the inner city you most likely don't want to go back and live there.

That's the problem there.
A lot of people feel that the way to just deal with the inner city is to not deal with it at all.
By leaving you don't have to deal with the issue anymore supposedly.
People are finding out that doesn't work.
After a generation and a half the crime just travels to them.
Running from the problem is never really the way to solve it.

harloo
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Bill for a while refused to say anything to the black community about it's flaws and strengths until his son died.

:yeah: Which is why many of those he's referring too think he's full of hot air.

Black Mamba.
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM
:yeah: Which is why many of those he's referring too think he's full of hot air.

I think the problem is Bill Cosby is speaking to the choir at these events. I know I agree with many of his points, but the ones that his message is directed toward are going to ignore him.

harloo
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I think the problem is Bill Cosby is speaking to the choir at these events. I know I agree with many of his points, but the ones that his message is directed toward are going to ignore him.

I share the same sentiment Jumpman. While I don't disagree with Cosby on the violence issues he's not a great communicator. Again those who need to hear his message will turn a deaf ear to the criticism because they see him as a negative figure. :)

azdaja
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM
It's more clear, but it's also more clearly wrong.

There've been black millionaires (or the inflation-adjusted equivalent) in America almost as long as their have been blacks in America. And I sincerely doubt Bill is the first among them to get preachy.
yes, but that's not what i meant. black people were in the past clearly excluded from the upper class because of their race. that has changed now. a black person can become a president now. thus, the black people finally have a powerful upper class and this upper class will participate not only in teaching them morals, but also work hard to preserve the aforementioned status quo under which the majority of black people live in poverty.

Black Mamba.
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I share the same sentiment Jumpman. While I don't disagree with Cosby on the violence issues he's not a great communicator. Again those who need to hear his message will turn a deaf ear to the criticism because they see him as a negative figure. :)

I agree, but Bill needs to stop generalizing folks

harloo
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I agree, but Bill needs to stop generalizing folks

He really should stop the generalizing but I don't think he's ever been the same since Ennis was killed.:sad:

Black Mamba.
Apr 14th, 2006, 09:03 PM
He really should stop the generalizing but I don't think he's ever been the same since Ennis was killed.:sad:

That's why I try not to be too critical of Bill because I know I would probably get the same way if a loved one was murdered like that. The thing about Black America is that most of our heros are dead and were part of a generation that fought so hard for us. I think Bill sees all the work that his generation put in and he sees what "some" Black folks are doing with the freedoms they fought for and he doesn't like what he sees. I'm 21 and I don't like what I see especially on BET. They can show a special on Lil Kim going to prison, but they can't show Rosa Parks' funeral.

wta_zuperfann
Apr 14th, 2006, 10:21 PM
at least he's still ok with white ppl being criminals

So far, no one has stepped forward and told white people to refrain from committing white collar crimes which actually cost society FAR more money and creates more damage than does street crime:

http://karisable.com/crwc.htm

Pheobo
Apr 14th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Bill Cosby has no business preaching about morality.