PDA

View Full Version : Bottled ginger beer that doesn't suck?

griffin
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Ok, I was recently introduced to good ginger beer at a local Jamaican restaurant, and I love the stuff. Even without rum in it.

Problem is, No really, this is vitally important ;) they make their own, which makes it hard to stash in the fridge for those days when I'd can't/don't feel like driving over to Huron Village for a tasty beverage. But the bottled stuff I've gotten in the stores is just nasty - too sweet, too little actual ginger flavor, blech - can anyone point me towards a decent brand so I don't have to drink my way through too many blechy 4-and 6-packs to find something drinkable?

!<blocparty>!
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I used to work in British health food store, we stocked this really nice ginger beer, it came in a glass bottle.. I can't remember the name of the company now. :mad:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Jamaican Root Ginger Beer is the best drink ever. I always buy it from the shops. It's the fizzy stuff and when served chilled is the best drink in the summer.

EDIT: It's this one

http://www.britannia-shop.de/media/DGOldKamaicaGingerBeerDose.JPG

brickhousesupporter
Apr 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM
How about you make your own? Nothing beats homemade.

1 pound ginger
8 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 1/2 quart water

Puree ginger and water in blender.
Let it sit for a day.
Add sugar & mix (add more or less sugar based on your taste)
Best served with crushed ice.

griffin
Apr 13th, 2006, 07:29 PM
How about you make your own? Nothing beats homemade.

That would certainly be cheaper than going to Ortanique, at any rate (although there's no way in hell I'd ever match their jerk).

But while I am almost always up for trashing the kitchen, like I said, I'd also like to have something on hand for when time and energy are at a low ebb :)

griffin
Apr 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I am actually drinking a glass of cold, cold ginger beer that i made...

you tease, you :mad:

;)

brickhousesupporter
Apr 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Griffin

Maybe one day you can work yourself up to some maubi then you will be in things!

Infiniti2001
Apr 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM
yes, nothing beats homemade-- try it sometime griffin :p I don't make it often, but when I do it doesn't last long:lol: A little birdie told me that my aunt is making some for Easter-- can't wait to go mooch over there :haha: