PDA

View Full Version : Couple To Pay Back Wages To 'Slave'

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Couple to pay back wages to 'slave'

Wednesday, April 12, 2006; Posted: 12:00 p.m. EDT (16:00 GMT)

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A Saudi Arabian couple accused of keeping an Indonesian woman as a virtual slave have agreed to pay her $64,000 in back wages, according to a court document.

If approved by the court, the deal would settle a federal lawsuit by the Labor Department against Homaidan Al-Turki and Sarah Khonaizan and avoid a federal trial.

State and federal charges alleged the couple required the woman to cook, clean and care for the couple's five children in suburban Aurora for little or no pay from 2000 to 2004.

Prosecutors also have alleged that Al-Turki sexually abused the woman and that she was sometimes loaned out to work for other families.

A federal trial was set for October on charges of forced labor, involuntary servitude and harboring an illegal immigrant.

The couple would still face a state trial, set for June 12, on charges of kidnapping, false imprisonment and extortion, and, for Al-Turki, sexual assault. They face up to life in prison if convicted on the state charges.

Al-Turki's attorneys have argued that prosecutors charged him after trying but failing to build a terrorism case against him.

AjdeNate!
Apr 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM
:tear: I get all choked up when biggots try to make nice to avoid the clink.

Shenay La Soul
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Aurora is a solidly middle class 'burb so the couple could definitely afford to pay the woman. :( I hope they still get convicted!

skanky~skanketta
Apr 13th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Aurora is a solidly middle class 'burb so the couple could definitely afford to pay the woman. :( I hope they still get convicted!i agree!i mean wtf! we have an indonesian maid as well and we treat her like one in the family. god!there are so many cases like this in malaysai, it's not funny. the abuse that some of these maids have to put up with is ridiculous.

Scotso
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:16 PM
They should go to prison. The fact that they may get out of it makes me ill.

Infiniti2001
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Don't like stereotyping, but according to a friend of mine, this is typical of Saudis. They treat the men and women from places like India, Pakistan , Bangladesh like shit in Saudia Arabia and when they complain to authorities , they are put in jail and deported to make matters worse :fiery:
The nerve of them to do this crap in the US :rolleyes: Hope they lock their asses up and put the kids in foster care :mad: