PDA

View Full Version : June Pointer of the Pointer Sisters Dies

Infiniti2001
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
By DAISY NGUYEN, Associated Press Writer

34 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - June Pointer, the youngest of the singing Pointer Sisters known for the 1970s and 1980s hits "I'm So Excited," "Fire," and "Slow Hand," has died, her family said Wednesday. She was 52.

Pointer died of cancer Tuesday at Santa Monica University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center, the family said in a statement. She had been hospitalized since late February and the type of cancer wasn't disclosed.

She died "in the arms of her sisters, Ruth and Anita and her brothers, Aaron and Fritz, by her side," the family statement read. "Although her sister, Bonnie, was unable to be present, she was with her in spirit."

The Pointer Sisters began as a quartet in the early 1970s with sisters Ruth, Anita, Bonnie and June. The group became a trio when Bonnie embarked on a solo career.

The group's hits also included "He's So Shy," "Automatic" and "Jump (For My Love)."

The sisters, along with their two older brothers, grew up singing in the choir of an Oakland church where their parents were ministers.

Bonnie and June formed a singing duo and began performing in clubs around the San Francisco Bay area. Anita and Ruth later joined the group and together, they sang backup for Taj Mahal, Boz Scaggs and Elvin Bishop, among others.

Their first, self-titled album, "The Pointer Sisters," debuted in 1973 and the song "Yes We Can Can" became their first hit. They followed up with the album "That's A Plenty," which featured an eclectic mix of musical styles ranging from jazz to country and pop. They won the first of their three Grammy awards in 1974 for best country vocal performance by a group for the song "Fairytale."

Bonnie left the group in 1977, and the sisters recorded several more albums, scoring several hit songs that became identified as the soundtrack of the 1980s.

The successful 1984 album "Break Out" earned two Grammy awards for the songs "Automatic" and "Jump (For My Love)." The album's other hit song, "Neutron Dance," was prominently featured in the movie "Beverly Hills Cop."

June recorded two solo albums, and later left the trio.

Anita and Ruth still perform under the group's name. Ruth's daughter, Issa Pointer, is the trio's newest member.

Two years ago, June Pointer was charged with felony cocaine possession and misdemeanor possession of a smoking device. She was ordered to a rehabilitation facility.

Funeral arrangements were incomplete.

:sad: RIP dear June :sad:

Helen Lawson
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:54 PM
That's awful. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
They had such good songs. :sad: :sad: :sad:

kiwifan
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Too bad, I grew up listening to the Pointer Sisters. :angel:

"Save The Bones For Henry Jones" :lol: :lol: :tape:

and loved thier "cameo" in Car Wash with Richard Pryor. :cool:

I loved that the Pointers had such a variety of styles (from corny to pop to sexy/funky).

R.I.P. :angel: :angel: :angel:

darrinbaker00
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM
The Pointers stole (in a good way) "Fire" from Bruce Springsteen, just like Jimi Hendrix stole "All Along the Watchtower" from Bob Dylan.

As a fellow Oakland native, it saddens me to hear of June's passing. It saddens me even more to read that Bonnie wasn't there with the rest of the family. :sad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Wow..i am so sad that she passed away. RIP :sad: June had been a drug addict for the past 20 years. She was actually kicked out of the Pointer Sisters a few years ago because of her addiction. She led a tuff life...i hope she knew how much she and her sisters affected pop culture ( in a good way ) in the mid 70s to the mid 90s...the Pointer Sisters are legends... :kiss: :bounce:

tennisboi
Apr 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I heard she was sick:sad:R.I.P.

moon
Apr 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM
That's too bad.. and she was young.
RIP June.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 12th, 2006, 11:14 PM
:sad:

So young still.

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGPORTRAITS/music/portrait200/drp000/p083/p08399s6a7g.jpg

:wavey: :(

Kirt12255
Apr 12th, 2006, 11:34 PM
:sad: :bigcry: I hate it when true artists die.....80% of todays "contract-money hungry-consignment for cash- disprespectful" "artists" deserve to go before her. :(

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 12th, 2006, 11:35 PM

So young still.

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGPORTRAITS/music/portrait200/drp000/p083/p08399s6a7g.jpg

"i need a man with a SLOOOOW HAND. I need a luva with an easy touch" :kiss:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 13th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I'm saddened to hear the news.
RIP June.

lizchris
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:40 AM
I liked their songs and read about June's drug problemss. Sorry to see her die at such a young age.:sad:

Is she the one whose daughter died a few yeras ago at the age of 36?

For those of you who are old enough to remember, they guest starred on the Love Boat when their song "He's So Shy" was a hit. I reallly liked them in that episode.

I also wonder why Bonnie wasn't there. Is she on tour overseas and didn't think her sister was that sickk? Or did they have some type of falling out?

SelesFan70
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:52 AM
She had cancer... :sad: I hope her suffering wasn't too long.

I hope she's doing the "Neutron Dance" somewhere... :dance:

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:09 AM
I liked their songs and read about June's drug problemss. Sorry to see her die at such a young age.:sad:

Is she the one whose daughter died a few yeras ago at the age of 36?

For those of you who are old enough to remember, they guest starred on the Love Boat when their song "He's So Shy" was a hit. I reallly liked them in that episode.

I also wonder why Bonnie wasn't there. Is she on tour overseas and didn't think her sister was that sickk? Or did they have some type of falling out?

They ALL had a falling out with June. The other two came around..i think it went deeper with Bonnie. Someone called the police on June last year and had her arrested. I forgot which sister it was though :confused:

azinna
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Rip

Hot 92 Jamz
Apr 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
So sad! :sad: Rest in peace, June!

I wish "Automatic" was played more on the radio because it's one of their best songs.

Shenay La Soul
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Baby June. :sad:

Too bad, I grew up listening to the Pointer Sisters. :angel:

"Save The Bones For Henry Jones" :lol: :lol: :tape:

and loved thier "cameo" in Car Wash with Richard Pryor. :cool:

I loved that the Pointers had such a variety of styles (from corny to pop to sexy/funky).

R.I.P. :angel: :angel: :angel:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BPN1VY.01-A2LE3791IZQJE._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kiwifan, I had the 8-Track! :cool: Save The Bones, Betcha Gotta Chick.. Remember Salt Peanuts? :worship:

I'm happy they had a long career but don't feel too sorry for them financially because Ruth was just interviewed a few weeks ago on the radio and said they're still doing shows around the world as well as corporate
dates, which is lucrative. :)

Lastly, I'm old enough to have seen (on TV) the Pointer Sisters (when they were a quartet and dressed 40's) perform with Patti Andrews of the Andrews Sisters (Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy). :)

kiwifan
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Baby June. :sad:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BPN1VY.01-A2LE3791IZQJE._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kiwifan, I had the 8-Track! :cool: Save The Bones, Betcha Gotta Chick.. Remember Salt Peanuts? :worship:

I'm happy they had a long career but don't feel too sorry for them financially because Ruth was just interviewed a few weeks ago on the radio and said they're still doing shows around the world as well as corporate
dates, which is lucrative. :)

Lastly, I'm old enough to have seen (on TV) the Pointer Sisters (when they were a quartet and dressed 40's) perform with Patti Andrews of the Andrews Sisters (Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy). :)

Funny thing when you're young (think5 to 7) you don't know that Andrew Sisters style singing (Pointer Sisters) is from the 40s or that Doo Wop (Sha Na Na, American Graffiti and Happy Days) is from the 50s. So for a while I thought it was all new and its kind of magical to live in a place where all music is "in style" and seemed to be popular.

The 70s gets a bad rap sometimes. But I liked the Disco, the crazy 10 minute Deep Purple monster rock, sweet soul like "Be Thankful For What You've Got", silly Pop Songs like Kiki Dee and Elton, sing along Folky stuff like "joy to the world", funky stuff like P-Funk and KC & The Sunshine Band add add in the Pointers unique retro style - the stuff was coming from all directions!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: and I didn't even mention Blondie and the New Wave hitting the radio in the late 70s

KV
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM
RIP June :sad:
As a lover of the oldie songs sad to see her pass away.

Shenay La Soul
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Funny thing when you're young (think5 to 7) you don't know that Andrew Sisters style singing (Pointer Sisters) is from the 40s or that Doo Wop (Sha Na Na, American Graffiti and Happy Days) is from the 50s. So for a while I thought it was all new and its kind of magical to live in a place where all music is "in style" and seemed to be popular.

The 70s gets a bad rap sometimes. But I liked the Disco, the crazy 10 minute Deep Purple monster rock, sweet soul like "Be Thankful For What You've Got", silly Pop Songs like Kiki Dee and Elton, sing along Folky stuff like "joy to the world", funky stuff like P-Funk and KC & The Sunshine Band add add in the Pointers unique retro style - the stuff was coming from all directions!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: and I didn't even mention Blondie and the New Wave hitting the radio in the late 70s

:worship: Couldn’t agree more about the 70’s. Like you, I’m part Led Zeppelin, part CCR, part Dr. Hook, part Maria Muldaur, part “Playground In My Mind” and part all the great soul music we’ve discussed on previous threads. ;)

harloo
Apr 13th, 2006, 07:29 PM
RIP June. I remember her being one of the vibrant sisters in the group. Didn't even know she had cancer. Sad.

Dana Marcy
Apr 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'll have to go through storage and find my old VHS tape of the Pointers Sisters videos from the 80's. They were great and their outfits were :eek: (I'm trying to think of a way to explain it) Punk meets Space Age. ;) Anyway the videos are so much fun to watch and my favorite is for their song called Freedom. Sweet song, gets me choked up. RIP Sista June! :worship:

darrinbaker00
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Whenever a DJ played "In-A-Gadda-De-Vida" by Iron Butterfly or the album version of "Love to Love You Baby" by Donna Summer on the radio, it was a good bet that he was either in the bathroom or having a quickie in the broom closet. Those tracks were L-O-N-G. ;)

moon
Apr 13th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Whenever a DJ played "In-A-Gadda-De-Vida" by Iron Butterfly or the album version of "Love to Love You Baby" by Donna Summer on the radio, it was a good bet that he was either in the bathroom or having a quickie in the broom closet. Those tracks were L-O-N-G. ;)

another long song was Funkentelechy by P-funk. I have it downloaded on my mp3. It's 11 minutes :eek: . I don't think they ever played that one on the radio tho. I got that one from my dad. :cool:

Rocketta
Apr 14th, 2006, 02:23 AM
:sobbing:

It's so sad that she was never able to break free from the drugs and had to die so young of cancer. :sad:

tennisjunky
Apr 14th, 2006, 04:09 AM
sad. anyone know what kind of cancer, just currious?

bionic71
Apr 14th, 2006, 05:13 AM
I've been listening to my old Pointer Sisters records and discs in tribute! They had some fine pop moments.
Very very sad...she could have had a wonderful career (beyond the 70s and 80s heyday) and toured for years with the back catalogue of material they had. What a sad waste.

Jakeev
Apr 14th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Wow, very sad to lose such an icon. I really hope Bonnie can come to terms with whatever problems she had with June.

Veritas
Apr 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM

So young still.

:eek: :tears: :sobbing:

RIP sweetheart :sad:

The Pointer Sisters and Earth, Wind & Fire were the first artists that got me into disco-pop.