PDA

View Full Version : Lol!! Prince Harry fighting in Iraq???

saniafan2005
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM
LONDON, England (CNN) -- Prince Harry, the third in line to the British throne, has qualified as an officer in the British army, a job that makes him eligible for a possible combat role in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Harry began his military training last May to become an army officer in the Blues and Royals regiment of the Household Cavalry, one of the British army's oldest units.
After qualifying as a 2nd Lieutenant, he will be eligible for military service in Iraq or Afghanistan and has spoken of his determination to head to the front lines if called.

--Lol...will he really go there???

griffin
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Andrew served in the Falklands, I don't see why not.

saniafan2005
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Ok, but is falkland comparable to Iraq where anything can happen at any time.

Kunal
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
wtf..

Cilla
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I doubt it. I don't think there are enough lap dancing clubs in Iraq or Afghanistan for Harry ;)

saniafan2005
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I doubt it. I don't think there are enough lap dancing clubs in Iraq or Afghanistan for Harry ;)

He can hire private arabian girls for it!!!
Money can buy anything...

gentenaire
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Can you imagine the number of terrorists who'd try to kidnap him? Would they still refuse to negotiate with terrorists if they held Harry?

Helen Lawson
Apr 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I heard a lengthy discussion on the radio a few months ago, and they were saying that yes, he could serve, but he'd still have his royal protection officers with him, so while he would be serving for real, there would still be people around so it's not like he can just get kidnapped. They made the point that it would actually be distracting for the combat units to have the extra people around. Andrew I believe flew planes and was not like "in the trenches" so to speak so while his life was certainly on the line, logistically, it wasn't as bad because he was on a ship, flew, and back to ship.

smiler
Apr 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Just the same as anyone else in the army, he'll go if he's stationed there. Blues and Royals do fight on the front line and probably so will he.., I don't get what the surprise is.

smiler
Apr 12th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I heard a lengthy discussion on the radio a few months ago, and they were saying that yes, he could serve, but he'd still have his royal protection officers with him, so while he would be serving for real, there would still be people around so it's not like he can just get kidnapped.

Yeah there was talk of that but I think Harry has said he doesn't want that, he wants to serve the same as everyone else.., I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

MinnyGophers
Apr 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Both the Princes have expressed their wish to go to the front line if they were to be called, but like the Queen mother would ever allow it....

smiler
Apr 12th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Umm.., the Queen mother is dead!

controlfreak
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Harry Nutter and the Prisoner of Afghanistan

Pengwin
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Of course he wants to go, the cocaine industry of Afghanistan is booming.

gentenaire
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM

LMAO

CondiLicious
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Ok, but is falkland comparable to Iraq where anything can happen at any time.

The Falklands was a war with about 1000 British and Argentinian fatalities. Anything could happen, at any time. There was every possibility that Andrew could have been killed... The British government weren't too happy about him going.

CondiLicious
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Both the Princes have expressed their wish to go to the front line if they were to be called, but like the Queen mother would ever allow it....

Firstly, as already stated the Queen Mother is dead. Secondly, it was actually the Queen that inisisted that Andrew be able to stay on HMS Invinicble during the Falklands... The British government were doing everything they could to get him moved to a desk job.

and ewwww... I sound like a Royalist :( :lol:

Kart
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I'll reserve judgement until he's actually called up.

Which I doubt will actually happen.

Stamp Paid
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:16 PM

:haha:

wipeout
Apr 12th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Fight on the front line? Where the hell is the front line in Iraq anyway? :tape:

dementieva's fan
Apr 12th, 2006, 09:41 PM
:haha:

cerbero
Apr 12th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Fight on the front line? Where the hell is the front line in Iraq anyway? :tape:

:lol:

CondiLicious
Apr 12th, 2006, 10:04 PM

:lol: There isn't a front line as the Almighty Bush told us that major military operations ended in Iraq 3 years ago.

beauty_is_pink
Apr 12th, 2006, 10:16 PM
are there any pics of his trainings? :drool:

Beefy
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:55 AM
I doubt he would serve over in of those places, because the Royal Family will have to give the MOD some sort of clearence because of who he is. Sure Andrew served in the Falklands, and was in some pretty heavy fighting, but Iraq and Afghanistan are different kinds of combat. The Falklands was more conventional warfare, and it was fought on British soil which had been invaded, and was against a proper army. These two places are different to that, it's a sort of guerrilla warfare against no real army and are fighting terrorists who come from all over the world. You didn't see Andrew serve in Ulster, which was a milder version of these two places

CondiLicious
Apr 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM
You didn't see Andrew serve in Ulster, which was a milder version of these two places

Andrew was in the Navy and NI isn't a traditional Royal Navy deployment.

Lord Nelson
Apr 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Andrew was in the Navy and NI isn't a traditional Royal Navy deployment.
I beg to differ. Northern Ireland has a hge port so naturally the navy is quite involved in the region. Also Navy, army and all are all military units.

I find it funny that the same people who say that children of U.S. politicians should serve in Iraq are complaining when Harry wants to serve in Afghanistan. Make up your minds.

katiektc
Apr 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I beg to differ. Northern Ireland has a hge port so naturally the navy is quite involved in the region. Also Navy, army and all are all military units.

I find it funny that the same people who say that children of U.S. politicians should serve in Iraq are complaining when Harry wants to serve in Afghanistan. Make up your minds.

Actually, NI was never really a spot for the Navy to be deployed. There were <and still are> lots of Army officers about but I doubt there has ever been more than one or two hundred Navy officers in NI at the one time.

Lord Nelson
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Londonderry has a major naval base.

Londonderry Port at Lisahally is the United Kingdom’s most westerly port and has capacity for 30,000 ton vessels. The port played a vital part for the Allies in WWII during the war's longest running campaign, The Battle of the Atlantic and eventually saw the surrender of the German UBoat fleet at Lisahally on May 8, 1945.

Solitaire
Apr 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Harry's too cute to die! :sad:

MinnyGophers
Apr 13th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Firstly, as already stated the Queen Mother is dead. Secondly, it was actually the Queen that inisisted that Andrew be able to stay on HMS Invinicble during the Falklands... The British government were doing everything they could to get him moved to a desk job.

and ewwww... I sound like a Royalist :( :lol:

Sorry i mean the actual Queen and their grandmother....
I don't know about Harry, but surely it was stated she would never allow William to fight in the front, since he is the future King... but i'm sure she'd send Charles in a heartbeat :lol:

katiektc
Apr 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Londonderry has a major naval base.

Londonderry Port at Lisahally is the United Kingdom’s most westerly port and has capacity for 30,000 ton vessels. The port played a vital part for the Allies in WWII during the war's longest running campaign, The Battle of the Atlantic and eventually saw the surrender of the German UBoat fleet at Lisahally on May 8, 1945.

It might have a port, but there are only 30 Navy officers in the whole of NI at the minute.