PDA

View Full Version : Clay season

Andrew..
Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
Here's a thread to monitor Lindsay's injury through the clay season, and also any plans she has to play.

Not suprisingly, Lindsay is not commited to Warsaw or Berlin. The Rome entry list comes out next week.

TheItalianStyle
Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
And no one thinks she'll be there.....

mike/topgun
Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
I would love to see Lindsay in Warsaw somemday but we have enough good players coming this year, so it's going to be an extraordinary event anyway, as if they all show up. Berlin isn't her tourney, but Rome...Foro Italico are the fastest red claycourts I saw, so it'd be great, if she decides to play there. We'll see. As for now it seems she's out till RG - not that bad idea, cos the main thing is to heal the back and be confident bout physical aspect of the game. I'm sure it's her goal for those off weeks.

alfonsojose
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Lindsay, play in Rome :)

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Wherever Lindsay plays, its for her best interest and she knows what she needed to win more majors. To hell with the rankings.

tennisboi
Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Please play in Rome for the sake of your ranking and pride if you fall bellow Venus it will be a sad sad day

Andrew..
Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Please play in Rome for the sake of your ranking and pride if you fall bellow Venus it will be a sad sad day
That would be almost impossible until like October.

GrandSlam05
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
That would be almost impossible until like October.
Year she would probably have to lose 1r at all the slams. :lol: Even a slumping Lindsay would have too much pride to do that.
Anyway I don't see Venus going anywhere but down. She's playing even less than last year and there's no way in hell she's winning Wimbledon this year.

Elldee
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
I think she'll play an event before the French to warm-up a little bit and test the injury... maybe Istanbul or Strasbourg... I'd love to see her at Rome though.

Lindsay should be three weeks into her six week lay off.

MH0861
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I agree - we all know clay isn't her surface of choice, but it's so important to just get match play in before Wimbledon. Rome sounds like a good idea, in my opinion.. no point in making herself extra-miserable by entering a rinky dink event instead. And I mean, hello - I know she hates her little European Adventures, but she's been sitting at home for so long now that she should suck it up and play Rome/RG.

Andrew..
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Rome, RG, Eastbourne, Wimbledon. That's the ideal schedule, IMO.

mike/topgun
Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
And right after that Lindz wins Stanford, San Diego,LA and NY.

dav abu
Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
She definitely needs to get match practice in before Wimbledon, I don't care how much she dislikes clay!!

Ty-Ty
Apr 4th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Ha. If Lindsay plays Rome, I'll eat my shorts.

Honestly speaking, whenever Lindasy openly discusses her reduced schedule, Rome and probably Eastbourne too, seem beyond any realm of possibility. Especially Rome.

It'll probably go Charleston, RG, and Wimbledon.

Ty-Ty
Apr 4th, 2006, 02:25 AM
WTF. Wasn't Lindasy on the Charleston entry list?

Blagh. I bet she just skips everything untill Roland Garros now.

I really need to keep up.

lindsayno1
Apr 4th, 2006, 06:40 AM
i bet she wont play eastbourne. birmingham imo would be ideal if shes not really done anything before. nice little tourney to warm up in a nice town. She will be in the opposite draw to sharapova (she'll blatently play that again) so will have a good match in the final.

mike/topgun
Apr 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah, she wasn't on the FCC entry list and probably isn't going to be on Romes. I do hope she plays Eastbourne, becouse it's a nice place and not far from London. Also the grass courts there are really great. Birmingham is a nice, big, industrial city, but it's Mashas tourney to win.

TheItalianStyle
Apr 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
But what did she say about the clay season?? Do we now is she is at least playing the RG??

alfonsojose
Apr 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
:yeah:
Lindsay meets Benedict XVI ;)

LDF
Apr 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Totally agree :yeah:

Elldee
Apr 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I don't see Rome or Eastbourne happening.... she did hint at a RG warm up though in her Indian Wells interview, though... didn't she?

Kimmi
Apr 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I don't see Rome or Eastbourne happening.... she did hint at a RG warm up though in her Indian Wells interview, though... didn't she?

I agree. Rome is a bit far-fetched methinks, although I wouldn't totally count out Eastbourne.

Elldee
Apr 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
If Lindsay does okay at the French I don't see why she'd do anything differently between RG and Wimbledon this year than she did last year... she played awesome tennis last Wimbledon, particularly on her returns.

mike/topgun
Apr 4th, 2006, 10:02 PM
When Lindsay's in form, then she serves and returnes really, really great - those are the biggest shots, where she can step in, take advantage and dictate point form the very begining.That was mainly her tactics, when she was winning. I don't see connection between just practising, or playing an event directly before Wimby and a good result in London. Same time I doubt she intends to play any warmups :tape:

tennisboi
Apr 5th, 2006, 12:09 AM
The entery list for Rome is out and alas she has not entered. Oh holy crap the ranking is going to suffer:eek:

lindsayno1
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:58 AM
i didnt expect her to play rome...

The Daviator
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Her ranking won't drop, she's not defending anything in Rome, so not going there won't hurt her...

Guys, she shouldn't fall further than #6, all the players behind her have finals to defend during the clay...

It's interesting to see all the talk on her schedule, I reckon she'll play just play RG and Wimbledon, and if she skips RG, then Eastbourne, it's a shame she's not going to Rome, I had a feeling that she'd spring a surprise and go, oh well :)

alfonsojose
Apr 5th, 2006, 01:11 PM
No Rome :sad:

tennisboi
Apr 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Her ranking won't drop, she's not defending anything in Rome, so not going there won't hurt her...

Guys, she shouldn't fall further than #6, all the players behind her have finals to defend during the clay...

Your probably right it's just with some many points later on in the year to defend(after the US Open) I thought she might rack up some extra points in Rome but she always has the US Open series to do that

LDF
Apr 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Damn...I would've loved to see her enter Rome, and it'd be great to get some match play before the 2 Slams :(

I really hope she plays Eastbourne...:unsure:

lindsayno1
Apr 5th, 2006, 11:25 PM
the most of lindsays points were racked up until Wimbledon where she was a finalist or better in every tourney she played bar sydney. She has a us hardcourt title, filderstadt and zurich to defend...!

Andrew..
Apr 6th, 2006, 12:53 AM

It's interesting to see all the talk on her schedule, I reckon she'll play just play RG and Wimbledon, and if she skips RG, then Eastbourne, it's a shame she's not going to Rome, I had a feeling that she'd spring a surprise and go, oh well :)
Until after Wimbledon, where she'll be ranked, like, 8.

And you know she's not defending New Haven. More tier II points off there.

The Daviator
Apr 6th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Until after Wimbledon, where she'll be ranked, like, 8.

And you know she's not defending New Haven. More tier II points off there.

The points she'll lose in New Haven will almost certainly be compensated for by the points she'll gain in Stanford/LA/San Diego...

As for Wimbledon, a lot of the players behind her have 4R or QF points to defend, I mean, if you're resigned to the fact that she won't defend her Wimbledon points then there's nothing anyone can do...

I guarantee that she'll be one of the 8 top seeds in New York...

mike/topgun
Apr 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Let's just hope she's going to be healthy soon.

Andrew..
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I guarantee that she'll be one of the 8 top seeds in New York...
That's not a bold prediction.

More than half of her points are from the fall season. And with her "reduced schedule" straight out of the VeeRee Tennis Manual, she only defends a fraction of those. That's when her ranking is going to really tank.

GrandSlam05
Apr 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM
This doesn't belong in "Clay Season", but how in the hell did Linds lose to Silvia at Eastbourne 03? Was she badly injured, stoned, or was it another DavenTank(tm)?

TheItalianStyle
Apr 7th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Silvia played a great match and anywhere she was n.15.....is possible to be upset by n.15 in the world,isn't it??

GrandSlam05
Apr 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Italian, don't get me wrong I like Silvia and all. It just shocks me she took out Lindsay ON GRASS. But Silvia made the QF that year at Wimbledon, her best finish ever, so she must've been playing pretty well.

Elldee
Apr 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM
And it was cold... I think.

The Daviator
Apr 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM
To be fair, Silvia only *just* won that match, I think she won it 7-6 in the third, and she reached the Wimbledon 1/4s that year and actually took a set of Clijsters in that match, so she was obviously playing well :)

Andrew..
Apr 7th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Lindsay had two match points in that loss.

She said after she lost that match that she'd never go back to Eastbourne. I believe it was only 45 degrees when she was playing.

LDF
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Lindsay had two match points in that loss.

She said after she lost that match that she'd never go back to Eastbourne. I believe it was only 45 degrees when she was playing.

Yep, the weather seemed to be the reason for that decision. In fact, after winning the 2001 title she said this:

"It's just great to get back playing on grass which I love and winning a title. It's more than just a warm-up for Wimbledon and if you could guarantee me this weather I'd come and play here every year."

Tenisci
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Sshedule

Istanbul Tier 3

tennisboi
Apr 7th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm slightly shocked that Lindsay is playing Istanbul I thought she wouldn't play anything on the red stuff but Iím happy with her decision:bounce:

In relation to the Silvia 'incident' in Eastbourne 03. IMO 03 was the worst I had ever seen Lindsay play she seemed pissed off constantly, uninterested and was unfit due to on going injuries so give her a break people

Lindsayfan32
Apr 8th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Well things seem to be looking up its great ot hear Lindsay planning on playing again even if its a tier 3 the week before rg. The matches she got at RG seemed to help her with her run at Wimbledon so this is great news. Even if the choice of tournment seems a bit odd.

Andrew..
Apr 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Meh. I'm not convinced she'll play Istanbul. That poster last year posted that Lindsay along with like five other top ten players were playing the event. When I see the entry list or some sort of official press release, I'll believe it.

LDF
Apr 8th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I have to say, I'm not entirely convinced either.

Also, that person posted the thread when it was about 3 a.m. in Istanbul. I know they could have called earlier, but still...

But if she is playing, wahey :banana:

Kimmi
Apr 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Istanbul? Strange choice although it would be nice to see Lindsay play before RG.

I think I might go with Andrew on this, but I think I'll wait until I see her name on the draw sheet in permantent marker before I belive it :D

[Please be better and play Lindsay!]

Tenisci
Apr 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I have to say, I'm not entirely convinced either.

Also, that person posted the thread when it was about 3 a.m. in Istanbul. I know they could have called earlier, but still...

But if she is playing, wahey :banana:

heyyy I am not a liar. I am saying what they said.

LDF
Apr 8th, 2006, 02:54 PM
heyyy I am not a liar. I am saying what they said.

Oh no, I'm not accusing you of being a liar - I know I didn't phrase that particularly well, but I didn't mean that. :)

I'll just wait for the official entry list before I completely believe it.

Tenisci
Apr 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Oh no, I'm not accusing you of being a liar - I know I didn't phrase that particularly well, but I didn't mean that. :)

I'll just wait for the official entry list before I completely believe it.

Ok wait then. It will be announced on tuesday.

You dont have to believe btw

Andrew..
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Last year you posted that six top ten players would play in Istanbul. Forgive me if I'm not inclined to believe you.

Tenisci
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Last year you posted that six top ten players would play in Istanbul. Forgive me if I'm not inclined to believe you.

yes right. I posted that. But said that it wasa joke. Havent you heard. so I will give you a link and see her name now

Tenisci
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM
http://www.istanbulcup.com/ clich it

and come to the news of Anastasia Myskina. then click it and see Lindsay

Andrew..
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I don't speak Turkish, thus I have no idea what it says.

I see her name, at the bottom of the article, where they're talking about RG. I'm thinking if they got her to play, she'd be the headline, not Myskina.

Tenisci
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM

I see her name, at the bottom of the article, where they're talking about RG. I'm thinking if they got her to play, she'd be the headline, not Myskina.

OMGG

Both is in the list.

Sorry I am wrong. I shouldnt have posted it. People should wait till Tuesday

tennisboi
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Anastasia Myskina would beat Lindsay on clay but on the other hand i'm glad she's going but i'll only believe it when i see it:bounce:

The Daviator
Apr 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Good point, Linds would certainly be the headline as opposed to Myskina, anyway, we'll know on Tuesday :)

Andrew..
Apr 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Anastasia Myskina would beat Lindsay on clay but on the other hand i'm glad she's going but i'll only believe it when i see it:bounce:
Myskina is nothing special on clay. IMO, it's her worst surface behind grass. Her RG win was like Conchita winning Wimbly. Lindsay could take her on it.

tennisboi
Apr 8th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Myskina is nothing special on clay. IMO, it's her worst surface behind grass. Her RG win was like Conchita winning Wimbly. Lindsay could take her on it.

Myskina would kick Lindsay backside on clay are you crazy??

LDF
Apr 8th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Myskina would kick Lindsay backside on clay are you crazy

No, he's right. With Myskina's current form, Lindsay could beat her on clay. He's also right regarding Myskina's RG win - it was like Conchita winning Wimbledon, very unexpected, and highly unlikely (which has been proved) to happen again.

Myskina makes so many unforced errors, particularly off the forehand wing, and although she could frustrate Lindsay by getting a lot of balls back, Lindsay's consistency should prevail. (If they were to meet.)

Elldee
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I'd back Lindsay against Myskina.

I think it makes sense for Lindsay to play an event like Istanbul pre-RG so I see no reason [for me personally] to doubt it... Istanbul is still daaaaaaaamn far away though.

TheItalianStyle
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Actually i'm glad to see Lindsay playing a red clay tournament..
But a question comes in my mind: If Lindsay had to play a red clay tournament why Istanbul and not a bigger tournament.....i mean wuoldn't be better to lose in a quartefinal in a Tier I than winning Istanbul...If she want to test her for RG and Wimbly i think she should have entered Berlin and Rome....

Elldee
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Lindsay assumably wants to avoid flitting from the US to Europe and then back again before Roland Garros so playing the week before is the best option and there are only tier III's on offer... similarly, this way Lindsay gets lots of recovery time and the events which would make it worthwhile going home again before roland garros are even slower.

mike/topgun
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I doubt she's going to play there.I'd rather see Rome instead of Istanbul but if she plays fully fit it doesn't really matter where she decides to play.Not many points to earn there too...

The Daviator
Apr 8th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I think it's a great move, this way she gets plenty of time to rest that back, and by winning a title, even a tier III, would give her some confidence...

I just hope Linds is getting lots of rest now, because we need her fit, healthy and energized for RG/Wimbledon...

tennisboi
Apr 9th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Wether or not she would beat Myskina i'm glad to see her commit to a red clay event

jacs
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I think a rationale for her playing on a lower tier clay tourney is that she would have a higher chance of getting more match practice than in a hier tier.

Andrew..
Apr 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM
And, winning a title would be nice.

Ty-Ty
Apr 9th, 2006, 07:18 PM
It would be nicer if it wasn't a Tier III.

Elldee
Apr 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
But it wouldn't happen if it wasn't a tier III during the red clay season.

Andrew..
Apr 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM
And it still might not happen. Remember the loss to the now 184 ranked Schaul.

TheItalianStyle
Apr 9th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Anywhere i'm happy for her but i think that's no the right choice...or probably non the best choice....i wish she can at least win a few matches in that tournament

Ty-Ty
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Anywhere i'm happy for her but i think that's no the right choice...or probably non the best choice....i wish she can at least win a few matches in that tournament

A few matches? Those are incredibly low standards for a Tier III tournament, no matter what surface.

If she didn't win the tournament, I'd be pretty suprised.

TomTennis
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM
mmm. Should be interesting to see if she plays Instanbul.

Even though she said that she might not play RG, i really cannot see it. I honestly think she will play RG. It is a slam, and last year she did pretty well, beating Clijsters and getting to the quaters. I just cant see her pulling out because she doesnt wanna play, i think if she does pull out it will be due to an injury.

lindsayno1
Apr 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Unless shes really injured I dont see her pulling out of RG. Its a grand slam at the end of the day...!

Andrew..
Apr 9th, 2006, 11:10 PM
! ! !.

Elldee
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:13 AM
mmm. Should be interesting to see if she plays Instanbul.

Even though she said that she might not play RG, i really cannot see it. I honestly think she will play RG. It is a slam, and last year she did pretty well, beating Clijsters and getting to the quaters. I just cant see her pulling out because she doesnt wanna play, i think if she does pull out it will be due to an injury.

Although she doesn't like the clay and there's more chance of her missing Roland Garros than any other slam she hasn't really ever suggested missing it. Even if she says she doesn't care about rankings, playing just three tournements in the first six months of a season is a bit ridiculous.

mike/topgun
Apr 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM
And look whos collecting the titles now - some bad, bad thoughts came to my mind when I saw yesterday that Nadia won in AI. Ridiculous it's the word. Noone frome the best players apart from Masha and Momo is on the move. It could be Lindsays chance to even overtake n#1 rank, most importantly return where she belongs in these circumstances...
As for now we can only hope she's back on her feet sooner than later.

lindsayno1
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
womens tennis is a bit of a joke right now.

Lindsay - injured
Kim - injured
Justine - been injured
Mary - injured
Vee - injured
Serena - 'injured'

tennisboi
Apr 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM
womens tennis is a bit of a joke right now.

Women's tennis is more than a joke at the moment it must be the laughing stock of womans sport :sad:

!<blocparty>!
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Womens tennis has been a joke since 2001.

GrandSlam05
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Why, because it was end of Queen Vee's reign? :confused:

!<blocparty>!
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Why, because it was end of Queen Vee's reign? :confused:

The tour was exciting in 2001, there was a real buzz about everything, especially the USO that year, if I remember.

Well, I say it's sucked since 2001, apart from a brief period during the summer of 2004 until a semi final of a certain tournament.

GrandSlam05
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:44 PM
That day was the WORST DAY EVER (in tennis LOL). I had just gotten hooked on tennis at that very US Open. I was so gunning for a Lindsay/Jen final. Earlier, I watched Linds dispose of Queen Vee in str8s and basically steamroll everybody else. Then as I was watching that weird Jen/Demented match, they switched over and said, "Lindsay Davenport injured her hip flexor " as Sveta was serving FTM. Then Demented proceeded to beat Jen in yet another 3rd set TB. Yuck, I hate Russians, except for Safin that is.
I wish I had been watching Linds back in the day. I worry she may never hit another hot streak. :sad:

alfonsojose
Apr 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Still no entry list for Istanbul ?

Tenisci
Apr 11th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Still no entry list for Istanbul ?

today :) still waiting.

Tenisci
Apr 11th, 2006, 03:47 PM
http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/spor/4237201.asp?gid=53

Andrew..
Apr 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Meh. I haven't enjoyed it in years, but it was only a real "joke" from 2004 on. In 2002/2003, Ree, as much as I disliked her, was easily the best tennis player in quite a while. Her domination was legit. Even Justine's domination of 2003-early 2004 was fine. The WTA died on July 3, 2004.

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I want a Lindsay streak even just for half a year. I want her to be feared in slams and be a real fighter again.

GrandSlam05
Apr 11th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Meh. I haven't enjoyed it in years, but it was only a real "joke" from 2004 on. In 2002/2003, Ree, as much as I disliked her, was easily the best tennis player in quite a while. Her domination was legit. Even Justine's domination of 2003-early 2004 was fine. The WTA died on July 3, 2004.
But Andrew, what about little Kimmie?
Seriously though from what I've READ I'd have to agree. That's seems about the point when ALL the great players were either injured or stopped caring, and it hasn't seemed to change much since.

Lindsayfan32
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I want a Lindsay streak even just for half a year. I want her to be feared in slams and be a real fighter again.

Queenlindsay does 2004 ring any bells. Crap start to the year and then boom didn't win a slam but dominated and ended the year number 1. If Lindsay get injury free and stays there for a long period of time I hold out hope 2004 might happen again.

!<blocparty>!
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:17 PM

I wasnt following before 2001 so I wouldnt know. I guess you're right about the joke part, "REAL" joke anyway. Even in 2002 there were a lot of good matches. I remember the FO Quarters that year, full of potentially great exciting matchups, most of the top players were right up there.

mike/topgun
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I don't like the 2003 season cos it was so damn predictable. Nowadays we experience a time where the generation of Dav, JCap, Pierce and probably WS too is leaving the field. I can't understand how on earth did Nadia won in AI? She's gonna be a top5 player and I guess it makes WTA less interesting. What do we have now - lots of injuries and disappointments from the best players. It's not a good time for the tour, competition suffers, the level of play in the finals of big events is lower than ever imho and some of the decisive matches weren't even finished. Momo as a "GS champ" and n#1 is taking advantage of present situation, Petrova with all the inconsistency...
I hope Masha does well and fills in for Lindsay when she evantually retires.

LDF
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM
So it's official - Lindsay is due to play in Istanbul.

GrandSlam05
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I don't like the 2003 season cos it was so damn predictable. Nowadays we experience a time where the generation of Dav, JCap, Pierce and probably WS too is leaving the field. I can't understand how on earth did Nadia won in AI? She's gonna be a top5 player and I guess it makes WTA less interesting. What do we have now - lots of injuries and disappointments from the best players. It's not a good time for the tour, competition suffers, the level of play in the finals of big events is lower than ever imho and some of the decisive matches weren't even finished. Momo as a "GS champ" and n#1 is taking advantage of present situation, Petrova with all the inconsistency...
I hope Masha does well and fills in for Lindsay when she evantually retires.
Masha LOL? Yuck. I will promptly stop watching if she ever dominates the tour. Same goes for Kim, but since she's retiring next year that's one down. If any of the young Russians become dominant, I hope it's Kuznetsova.

Andrew..
Apr 11th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Masha? BAN!

Andrew..
Apr 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Queenlindsay does 2004 ring any bells. Crap start to the year and then boom didn't win a slam but dominated and ended the year number 1. If Lindsay get injury free and stays there for a long period of time I hold out hope 2004 might happen again.
2004 was different. Lindsay actually had a decent start to the year, winning a tier I and a tier II, and was beating top five players. This year, she's passed the QF of a tournament once.

Oh, and her ranking never slipped to 7 back then.

GrandSlam05
Apr 11th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Andrew or whoever saw it what happened in that Schaul match from Strasbourg 04? I can't believe Lindsay ate a bagel?!? :eek:

Andrew..
Apr 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Nobody who was outside of France saw that match. From what I've heard, it was cool and windy, and she was in complete tank mode by the end of that match.

Tenisci
Apr 11th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Now Istanbul List is OUT and Lindsay is there :)

tennisboi
Apr 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Yippe Lindsay:bounce:

The Daviator
Apr 12th, 2006, 08:38 AM
2004 was different. Lindsay actually had a decent start to the year, winning a tier I and a tier II, and was beating top five players. This year, she's passed the QF of a tournament once.

From three events though...

Great to see that she's playing Istanbul, hopefully she'll be fit again and will win, as for the shape of the game, well right now it is pretty bad, I don't like Mauresmo or Kim as players, I much preferred having V&S at the top, although I did like the past two seasons, at Wimbledon last year, the line-up was stellar, only Jen was absent, hopefully when the sisters return things will pick up...

mike/topgun
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Masha? BAN!
Why? Am I rude or something? :rolleyes:
Well, I guess you just don't like her. That's COOL.
IMHO she'd be better than Kim, Kuznetsova etc.:wavey: mainly cos she plays kinda similiar to Lindsay and she's gotta chance when improves her volleys and all the technique. But same time she's miles behind Davenport in the quality of tennis, so I do understand your reaction a bit :p
2004 was definitely a great season overall. Remember the '99 start to the year - won Sydney then semi in AO :tape: quick loss to Ree in IW, QF in Miami(WO to Graf), loss to Anna K. in AI etc. In fact, as the year went on, I thought she couldn't win a GS...then was the great surprise she did in SW19 ;)
Do you really think she's going to play in Istanbul, even if she's there, on the list? Maybe the '99 story repeats - win Istanbul a 1/4F in RG and...you know what. :lol:

alfonsojose
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Lindsay will play in Istanbul :yeah:

And 2006 women's tennis, definitely it's not the same without Lindsay and the Williamses, but don't forget who came back :yeah:

GrandSlam05
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Why? Am I rude or something? :rolleyes:
Well, I guess you just don't like her. That's COOL.
IMHO she'd be better than Kim, Kuznetsova etc.:wavey: mainly cos she plays kinda similiar to Lindsay and she's gotta chance when improves her volleys and all the technique. But same time she's miles behind Davenport in the quality of tennis, so I do understand your reaction a bit :p
2004 was definitely a great season overall. Remember the '99 start to the year - won Sydney then semi in AO :tape: quick loss to Ree in IW, QF in Miami(WO to Graf), loss to Anna K. in AI etc. In fact, as the year went on, I thought she couldn't win a GS...then was the great surprise she did in SW19 ;)
Do you really think she's going to play in Istanbul, even if she's there, on the list? Maybe the '99 story repeats - win Istanbul a 1/4F in RG and...you know what. :lol:
Sounds good to me Mike. ;)
And I wasn't watching in '99, I'm surprised she started the year so badly and was still able to play so brilliantly at the AEC. :eek: I hope she can do it again, but she's alot older now so it won't be easy.

Andrew..
Apr 12th, 2006, 08:21 PM
It wasn't as bad a start as this year. You really can't compare it. She won a tier II title to start the year, and made the SF of the AO. Even her ugly results after that are better than the results she's had this year.

GrandSlam05
Apr 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
It wasn't as bad a start as this year. You really can't compare it. She won a tier II title to start the year, and made the SF of the AO. Even her ugly results after that are better than the results she's had this year.
I agree, but part of that is just due to the fact that she hasn't played that much. She could've won Sydney (or at least lost in the finals to Henin) if she had played. And I'm really not ashamed of her loss to Henin at the Oz QF. She fell apart after the 1st set, but I dunno I think Justine probably would've won that one anyway. The one that upsets me most is the loss in Dubai to Masha, much more so than the losses to Henin or Hingis. Then again I think she'd have a title by now if she was able to play fe Tokyo and Doha. Miami was the biggest waste. No Vee/Ree, the Belgians out early, Sharapova playing like crap in the final, etc. The more I think about the beginning of this season the more I don't want to.

Andrew..
Apr 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Lindsay's match at the AO against Justine this year was one of the most disgusting losses I've ever seen from her. She had no belief that she would win that match - none. It was more than winnable. "but I dunno I think Justine probably would've won that one anyway". That rational is ridiculous. So, if Lindsay played anywhere near her best, Justine was still winning that day. K. Going on AO form, she wouldn't have won Tokyo, because playing like she did at the AO, she wasn't beating Maria or Tina. She was never going to play Doha, and the Dubai loss was funny. She was missing second serves by FEET. And she did the infamous "Hahaha. Maria you're so good." laugh.

But, Miami was laughable. She was making the semis of that on one leg if she played. She would have won AI too. Any way you look at it, that field was pathetic, and even in poor form, she would have probably beaten those players.

Still, this has been Lindsay's worst start to a year since 1995. Yes, in 2002 she was injured, but her "start" was very good - she didn't start until July. ;) Yes, injury has had alot to do with it, but her AO form was far from inspiring. It would be really great for Lindsay to end the year in the top five at this point.

mike/topgun
Apr 12th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Well, Andrew I simply can't agree with you more (even if I was not really mentioning '99 to compare it with 2006 - she played arguably better back then, but also some injuries and crapy losses showed up).
Finaly you've got the point bout that JHH loss in OZ and dubais spectaculare upset...It's a tough, tough year by now. No matter what she's gonna be fresh in RG and Wimbledon...;)And I think that 2002 was a great comeback overall - maybe besides l. to Seles in LA and the Maleeva 'histeric' final in Moscow...

tennisboi
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I think that 2002 was a great comeback overall - maybe besides l. to Seles in LA and the Maleeva 'histeric' final in Moscow...

What about the final of Zurich??:sad:that was hard to swallow:(

GrandSlam05
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Lindsay's match at the AO against Justine this year was one of the most disgusting losses I've ever seen from her. She had no belief that she would win that match - none. It was more than winnable. "but I dunno I think Justine probably would've won that one anyway". That rational is ridiculous. So, if Lindsay played anywhere near her best, Justine was still winning that day. K. Going on AO form, she wouldn't have won Tokyo, because playing like she did at the AO, she wasn't beating Maria or Tina. She was never going to play Doha, and the Dubai loss was funny. She was missing second serves by FEET. And she did the infamous "Hahaha. Maria you're so good." laugh.

But, Miami was laughable. She was making the semis of that on one leg if she played. She would have won AI too. Any way you look at it, that field was pathetic, and even in poor form, she would have probably beaten those players.

Still, this has been Lindsay's worst start to a year since 1995. Yes, in 2002 she was injured, but her "start" was very good - she didn't start until July. ;) Yes, injury has had alot to do with it, but her AO form was far from inspiring. It would be really great for Lindsay to end the year in the top five at this point.
Yes, Lindsay could've easily won that match if Henin had kept playing like she did in the 1st set, but Justine picked up her game after that while Lindsay tanked, making it easy. I agree that Lindsay has zero confidence against Justine. However, when Justine is playing well even peak Lindsay would have a tough time to beat her on rebound ace and Lindsay knows that (maybe too well). I never really had confidence she would win either, even after taking that 1st set easily. However, her reaction was the opposite of what I expected. I thought Linds would get all conservative, but she just started going for the most stupid shots I've ever seen. But Justine just finds a way. Sharapova was playing way better than Lindsay and Justine still edged her. I don't see why it's so inconceivable to think Justine would've won even if Lindsay hadn't tanked.

mike/topgun
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I don't know, but the Zurich final in 2002 was not that bad at all - I'd rather compared it 2000 final vs Martina. It was a great final with lots of soemtimes too long
rallies, and Patty played the tennis of her life, wheras Linds had some problems. It was a great streak for Dav- beat Clijsters and Just In Allez in str8.

I think that Linds couldn't have won with JHH in Oz, cos she was injured and even when she took the frst set 'easily', she didn't believe she could win it. At the end, it was all up to Just In.That was the reality. Just one thing you cannot exclude - when Linds serves well she's almost unstoppable, and what I saw from JHH in that particular match was all 'crap' - she just fought for every point, hung in there by chasing every ball down just waiting for an error from Linds etc.- in other words she didn't play impressive at all, so there was a visable chance IF Dav was 100%...

Lindsayfan32
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Andrew crap was a bad choice of words but 2004 didn't really take off Lindsay until the Amercan summer. You're just going to have to get used to Lindsay being a bit lower ranked that you're used to seeing her at. If she keeps trying to play 17 tournments a year we would be lucky for her to finish the year. If she plays less tournments like she wants to she may play another year or two, if it keeps her in the game a another year or two I'll take the slight ranking drop and less tournemt personally. By the way Lindsay ranking is 6 this week not 7. who cares what her raking is anyway!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew..
Apr 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Andrew crap was a bad choice of words but 2004 didn't really take off Lindsay until the Amercan summer. You're just going to have to get used to Lindsay being a bit lower ranked that you're used to seeing her at. If she keeps trying to play 17 tournments a year we would be lucky for her to finish the year. If she plays less tournments like she wants to she may play another year or two, if it keeps her in the game a another year or two I'll take the slight ranking drop and less tournemt personally. By the way Lindsay ranking is 6 this week not 7. who cares what her raking is anyway!!!!!!!!!!
Next week her ranking will be seven.

If she wants to reduce her schedule, then fine. But by doing that, she reduced her chance of winning big tournaments, loses a high ranking, and loses seedings. And three tournaments in the first four months of the year is not appropriate. She's injured, but judging by your posts, you seem to think the schedule is okay under any circumstances.

The Daviator
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM
The AO match was not one that Lindsay should have won, JH-H has won the past 5 meeting with Lindsay, Lindsay's game suits Henin's perfectly, that's why she has such a good record against Lindsay and Sharapova, the way to beat her is to play the way Mauresmo played in the AO final - hit high balls and lay of the offence, you give Justine a target and she's near unbeatable, you make her work for the point and she makes silly mistakes...

Lindsay's game would work fine against Justine on grass, but not on a slow hard-court, Linds needed to be near her best that day, and she wasn't, she has to be near or at her best to have any shot against Justine on a hard-court, and even then I'm not sure who'd win...

tennisboi
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:15 PM
The AO match was not one that Lindsay should have
Lindsay's game would work fine against Justine on grass, but not on a slow hard-court, Linds needed to be near her best that day, and she wasn't, she has to be near or at her best to have any shot against Justine on a hard-court, and even then I'm not sure who'd win...

Please remember people that JHH had a very convenient injury toward the end of the match that broke Lindsay concentration:fiery:

Andrew..
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
The AO match was not one that Lindsay should have won, JH-H has won the past 5 meeting with Lindsay, Lindsay's game suits Henin's perfectly, that's why she has such a good record against Lindsay and Sharapova, the way to beat her is to play the way Mauresmo played in the AO final - hit high balls and lay of the offence, you give Justine a target and she's near unbeatable, you make her work for the point and she makes silly mistakes...

Yes, Lindsay should have won that match. She was playing better than Justine, and then got herself into a winning position.

That last statement is just mind blowing... Lindsay was 5-0 against Justine at one point. Yes, Justine was a different player then, but Lindsay was dominant in that H2H. She let that slip away, and at least 60% of that was mental. Lindsay is one of the best hardcourt players ever. She doesn't need to be playing her best to beat Justine on it, she just needs to play well, and not tank after hitting one poor shot.

Lindsayfan32
Apr 13th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Next week her ranking will be seven.

If she wants to reduce her schedule, then fine. But by doing that, she reduced her chance of winning big tournaments, loses a high ranking, and loses seedings. And three tournaments in the first four months of the year is not appropriate. She's injured, but judging by your posts, you seem to think the schedule is okay under any circumstances.

Well I do Andrew I've been a fan of Lindsay's since 94 and seen the good the bad and very ugly in some cases. If Lindsay wants to play less and stays in the game a year or two longer so be it. I would've have liked to seen her stay at number 1 for another 2 weeks to get 100 weeks but its not going to happen. Ranking is just a number anyway you have a point that Lindsay hasn't made it past the semi finals seeded under 3 at a slam but I believe when Lindsay is at her peak and on top of her game she can win another slam no matter what her ranking is as long as she fully fit. I've been reading your for a while and you are intitled to your opinon. You're only happy with Lindsay's performances if she wins the whole tournment everytime she plays and that not going to happen you have to take the good with bad and if you supported Lindsay back in 94 you wouldn't have like what you saw at all she was very inconsistant with results.

The Daviator
Apr 13th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Yes, Lindsay should have won that match. She was playing better than Justine, and then got herself into a winning position.

That last statement is just mind blowing... Lindsay was 5-0 against Justine at one point. Yes, Justine was a different player then, but Lindsay was dominant in that H2H. She let that slip away, and at least 60% of that was mental. Lindsay is one of the best hardcourt players ever. She doesn't need to be playing her best to beat Justine on it, she just needs to play well, and not tank after hitting one poor shot.

Justine was a no-one when Lindsay was beating her, Lindsay has never beaten Justine since she has won her Slams/became #1, of course Justine has improved a lot since the days of when Lindsay was winning, hence the H2H...

I agree, Lindsay is one of the best hard-courters, but she still managed to lose to JH-H 6-1 6-4 on a hard-court at her favourite tournament, and afterwards she said that she had rarely been dominated like that in her career...

Don't get me wrong, Lindsay can defeat Justine when she's on, and I would make her favourite to win if they played on grass, but Justine loves that flat game of hers...

Andrew..
Apr 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Well I do Andrew I've been a fan of Lindsay's since 94 and seen the good the bad and very ugly in some cases. If Lindsay wants to play less and stays in the game a year or two longer so be it. I would've have liked to seen her stay at number 1 for another 2 weeks to get 100 weeks but its not going to happen. Ranking is just a number anyway you have a point that Lindsay hasn't made it past the semi finals seeded under 3 at a slam but I believe when Lindsay is at her peak and on top of her game she can win another slam no matter what her ranking is as long as she fully fit. I've been reading your for a while and you are intitled to your opinon. You're only happy with Lindsay's performances if she wins the whole tournment everytime she plays and that not going to happen you have to take the good with bad and if you supported Lindsay back in 94 you wouldn't have like what you saw at all she was very inconsistant with results.
So, playing six tournaments a year is cool. K.

Andrew..
Apr 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Justine was a no-one when Lindsay was beating her, Lindsay has never beaten Justine since she has won her Slams/became #1, of course Justine has improved a lot since the days of when Lindsay was winning, hence the H2H...

I agree, Lindsay is one of the best hard-courters, but she still managed to lose to JH-H 6-1 6-4 on a hard-court at her favourite tournament, and afterwards she said that she had rarely been dominated like that in her career...

Don't get me wrong, Lindsay can defeat Justine when she's on, and I would make her favourite to win if they played on grass, but Justine loves that flat game of hers...
In the last two meetings that Lindsay won, Justine was already becoming a force. But prior to that, as you said, she was nothing special yet. But, in many of the wins Justine has over Lindsay, Lindsay was also no where near the best parts of her career.

IW 2004 was a good match. Lindsay let the first set go, but it could have easily been 5-5 in the second set, and it was overall very high quality. I wasn't upset with that loss at all, because Justine was scary good today, and Lindsay's good form, while not nearly her best, was not good enough, but it wasn't terrible. That was a fun match, actually.

I agree with your last statement. But I think when both are playing at their best, Lindsay is the better player on moderate-fast hardcourts, indoors and grass. Lindsay at her best means that her head is also in it, and not in La-La Land. ;)

Lindsayfan32
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:39 AM
So, playing six tournaments a year is cool. K.

Not 6 but the 12 tournments Lindsay wants to play a year. It the less is more, she play less over the course of the year and plays a few more years because of it but I will say this now I want Lindsay to play another year or two only if she's competive and near the top, she deserves better than fading out or retiring due to an injury.

Andrew I'm glad we're having this discussion as its keeping my time on the board interesting this board would be very boring if everyone agreeded with each other all the time. I have total respect for your opinons as you do my even if they are different.

mike/topgun
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM
2004 IW final was an exciting one to watch. Both played some of the best qualitycin the 2nd set.JHH was there one her peak form and Lindz was beginning to regain her confidence. The fact s that very rarely we can see them both on their peak, most of the times they've played was no fun to watch - actually since Oz 2003 it's been more Lindsays beign down and JHH on her peak, but that wasn't the case in OZ this year...

Andrew..
Apr 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Not 6 but the 12 tournments Lindsay wants to play a year. It the less is more, she play less over the course of the year and plays a few more years because of it but I will say this now I want Lindsay to play another year or two only if she's competive and near the top, she deserves better than fading out or retiring due to an injury.
Okay, that's fine. But earlier in the thread, I said that the schedule she was playing now (three tournaments in four or more months) was ridiculous, unless she was injured, which she is. But you said that the schedule was fine. That's where we ran into disagreement.

Andrew I'm glad we're having this discussion as its keeping my time on the board interesting this board would be very boring if everyone agreeded with each other all the time. I have total respect for your opinons as you do my even if they are different.
Thanks. :)

GrandSlam05
Apr 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Justine is pretty exciting to watch. Even when I hated her, I still would watch her play. I was so gunning for the Capster at the '03 Open, but it was amazing what Justine was able to pull off and then to win in the final so easily that next day and she's done it time and time again.

alibaby
Apr 24th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Justine is pretty exciting to watch. Even when I hated her, I still would watch her play. I was so gunning for the Capster at the '03 Open, but it was amazing what Justine was able to pull off and then to win in the final so easily that next day and she's done it time and time again.
nice to read this in a "non-justine" thread! :) but i miss linny a lot.the tour is only half the tour,if she doesnt play!!to me,she is a trademark of the tour!!all the best,and come back soon,linny-baby!! :kiss:

mike/topgun
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I've thought Anna K. was exciting to watch.
Lindsay is heading str8 to the end of her great careere and I suppose...
I have a weird 'feeling' that she may not win a GS and will retire after NY. Hopefully i'm wrong;)

GrandSlam05
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I've thought Anna K. was exciting to watch.
Lindsay is heading str8 to the end of her great careere and I suppose...
I have a weird 'feeling' that she may not win a GS and will retire after NY. Hopefully i'm wrong;)
I agree Mike. I so want her to win another one, and I cheer for her no matter what, but I'm afraid I don't think it's going to happen. :sad: Too many injuries and too many mental lapses. I guess I'll just have to order her old matches on dvd and that will have to suffice. :mad:

GrandSlam05
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:19 PM
nice to read this in a "non-justine" thread! :) but i miss linny a lot.the tour is only half the tour,if she doesnt play!!to me,she is a trademark of the tour!!all the best,and come back soon,linny-baby!! :kiss:
:) Don't get me wrong my #1 fave is Linds by a longshot and when they play I root for Linds to pulverize Justine. However, I do often find myself in awe of Justine's game.

mike/topgun
Apr 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM
The truth is that the last like 2 years Lindsay was blessed with good health and she was winning, held n#1 spot for a over a year time...
Since AO she's struggling with injuries, but she didn't change her game style or lose all of her experience etc. Still it looks like all the players who were winning gs are having problems atm and ones like Nadia Petrova are getting into their positions what is kinda encouraging - lets imagine Nadia becomes n#1...I think that even 37 years old Steffi Graf wouldn't mind to come back.
I've rewatched Linds Vs Anna in Miami'98 and it was a great match even though the gusty wind didn't help at all. Less than 17 Anna showed some various tennis and she won, but Lindsay was more dynamic and came in more often as well.
Todays WTA is boring as hell mainly cos of da new technique that causes lots of totaly unforced errors and lack of versatility.

alfonsojose
May 8th, 2006, 08:31 PM
two more weeks before Lindsay's debut at Istanbul :yeah:

LDF
May 8th, 2006, 08:36 PM
two more weeks before Lindsay's debut at Istanbul :yeah:

I can't wait :D

Golinds
May 9th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Go lindsay go lindsay go go go! :worship: