PDA

View Full Version : Early signs Lindsay may possibly play next year..

lindsayno1
Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Tournament officials regretfully announced Wednesday that Lindsay Davenport has withdrawn from the 2006 Bausch & Lomb Championships. The tournament is scheduled to take place April 3-9 at Amelia Island Plantation. Davenport's late withdrawal is due an injury to her back, the same injury which prevented her from competing at the NASDAQ-100 Open.

"I am disappointed that I will not be able to come and defend my title in Amelia Island due to my back," Davenport said. "I have always loved to play in Amelia Island as the fans, the resort and the tournament itself is so wonderful. I look forward to playing the Bausch & Lomb Champion-ships next year."

Davenport, a former No. 1 in the world player, owns 51 Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles titles, including three Grand Slam titles. She finished the 2005 season ranked No. 1 for the fourth time in her career (1998, 2001, 2004, 2005). Davenport is a three-time Bausch & Lomb Championships winner (1997, 2004, 2005) and was expected to make her 10th Bausch & Lomb Championships appearance.

"We are disappointed Lindsay will not be able to join us this year," said John Arrix, tournament director. "The future Hall of Famer is a fan favorite and had the opportunity to make tournament history, as the first player to win the event four times."

Mary Pierce has been forced to also withdraw from the 2006 Bausch & Lomb Championships. Pierce's withdrawal is due to a persistent right foot injury.

If she said that I am very shocked! I thought shed retire this year for sure!!

The Daviator
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
She actually said that she expected to be back in Australia next year after her 1/4-final loss to JuJu, so I'm not that surprised...

Although if she has poor results at Wimbledon and the US Open and/or gets a serious injury, her decision may change, I sure hope not!

lindsayno1
Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
yeh i took the AO with a pinch of salt thou as it was her first tournament in Jan. I really thought shed retire. Now shes injured but still says she will be back next year hopefully and its April...

mike/topgun
Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
I doubt she'll be beck next year, if injuries keep on bothering her. Eventually, it looks like a standard statement to me - maybe Lindsays agent just inserted Amelia Island and pressed 'send'...I hope she recovers soon and plays some tourney(s) before RG and Wimby - it's important for every player to gain confidence and match practice to build up form coming into the most intense part of the year. Yeah, she did say she's looking forward to come back to Melbourne, but she didn't think back then she'd be injured now for like up to 6 weeks. It may be a good sign, but same time it may mean nothing.

Andrew..
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
She actually said that she expected to be back in Australia next year after her 1/4-final loss to JuJu, so I'm not that surprised...

Although if she has poor results at Wimbledon and the US Open and/or gets a serious injury, her decision may change, I sure hope not!
I pretty much agree with that. I take more out of her AO statements than her statements in a press release. The PR for pulling out of any tournament is pretty generic, and just what Lindsay said: I love this tournament. Can't play. Can't wait to be back next year. I don't put much stock in it.

tennisboi
Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:21 PM
I agree with mike/topgun if the injuries keep bothering her for the year I don't think she'll play into 07 but if she wins a slam this year why not??

Lindsayfan32
Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
If Lindsay can get fit and start playing at or near her top again I hope she plays on next year but if she's injured and not playing at her top she will most likely retire and that's what i think she should do. I don't want to see Lindsay fade out as that's not the way she deserves to be remebered. No player who been at the top of their sport for as long as Lindsay has wants to fade either.

Andrew I agree with you statements for a tournment withdrawal are very generic so take them with a grain of salt.

RayRob
Apr 4th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I'm not usually one to put a negative spin on things but I do agree with some of the comments here. Although Lindsay said that [she'll be back next year] in a statement, I'm not quite sure I completely believe her. Like Andrew said, it's usually good PR to say stuff like that.

Unfortunately, Lindsay has only managed to play 3 events this year due to both injury and cut backs in her scheduling. I understand the cut backs 100% but with the injuries creeping in more and more, I'm not completely confident that she will return next year. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Only time will tell.
-Rache