PDA

View Full Version : News Articles

Sonja
May 18th, 2002, 07:21 PM
I think it would be a good idea to have Amélie Articles in this thread, as they are almost always posted in the tournament threads and get purged. This way we can have our own little archive where we can go back and see how she's done.

Please help me keep this updated.

March 18, 2002 - French Yahoo

(Reuters) - Amélie Mauresmo left Rome with a double feeling: that to have missed a large victory vis-a-vis Jennifer Capriati and the feeling which its play assembles in power at ten days of Roland-Garros. Friday, the Frenchwoman inclined herself in quarterfinals of International of Italy vis-a-vis American in three intense handles (6-2 3-6 6-4). "I want to be some. For me, it did not gain the match, it is me which gave it inside ", enrage Amélie Mauresmo. She refers to the beginning of the third handle where she let spin two balls of 3-0, then two advisabilities of carrying out 3-1, wasted by two consecutive double-faults. "I missed intensity on these point-keys, underline she, I had the occasions to put the head in the hole to him. I felt it to lower level as I played long and heavy, I did not know to conclude, it is my fault." Nevertheless, the Frenchwoman will approach International France, which begins on May 27, with a found confidence. She overcame well separation with her coach Alexia Dechaume. "My level of play is there, says it, the changes which were carried out on the level of my framing, I wanted them, therefore it is rather well. With Loïc Courteau, one works in the continuity of what I did previously." Even if this year, Amélie Mauresmo enters not tournament in same conditions as year last (demolished with the first tower vis-a-vis Allemande Jana Kandarr whereas it was presented like one of favorite), it will have to manage the reunion with the Roland-Garros stage. What is not announced so simple. "While turning over on the site, that will make me odd, it y will have memories which will re-appear", she acknowledges. "But it is a good challenge. The year spent, I was archi-favorite. One knows what occurred... One never knows, it is perhaps the opposite which will occur." Paradoxically, it is Sandrine Testud (n°10 world) who will make to office of number 1 Frenchwoman at the time of this second lifting of the Large Slam, since Mauresmo will retrogress Monday in the 12th place of classification WTA, having lost the points of her final in Rome last year. A pressure in less on the shoulders of Amélie

Linnie
May 18th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Sonja!!:D
This is a great idea :) But we have to encourage the gang on Gerd's site to come in here, too.
Does this mean we have to behave ourselves?? :angel: ;)

*Izzy*
May 18th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Great idea!!!:)

Does anyone else think we should have a pictures thread as well? I love the pics you all post in the cheering threads, so maybe having a thread for them would *ahem* keep our spirits up as it were until she next plays?;)

*Looking for Amelie articles*

Linnie
May 18th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Good idea, Frey! Madam Moderator?? ;)

Article from the FFT website:

Mauresmo fails on the wire

(17/05 - 19h00) - The quarterfinal shock between Amélie Mauresmo and Jennifer Capriati was completed on the success of American in three intense sets (6/2, 3/6, 6/4). Many regrets for the Frenchwoman, who could not known to insert Jenny, whereas she got two balls of 3-0 with the 3rd set. But it is rather of good forecasts before Roland-Garros.
The first play is bitterly disputed. Amélie plays long and gets a ball of 1-0. But her smash after-rebound does not mislead the vigilance of Capriati which returns a passing on which Amélie puts its flight deadened in the net. That shows the febrility of the Frenchwoman at this beginning of match. Additional proof: a double-fault which offers the [service break] to the world n°2. But Amélie evacuates her stress and retorts immediately. One everywhere: the brawl can start. Jenny makes few faults and regales herself. Without solutions, irritated by electric environment, the French n°1 gives up this first set 6/2 in 33'. Fortunately, she finds her rate/rhythm at the beginning of the second [set]. Her convex balls obstruct considerably Capriati, which shows signs of nervousness. Indeed, to 4-3 against her, the American one yields. Mauresmo concludes 6/3 not without evil, with her fourth set point.
The exploit takes shape. Two balls of 3-0. At the beginning of the 3rd set, Amélie confirms its the ascending one. It carries out 2-0 and 30-40 on the service of Jenny, very irritated. But Amélie wastes this first occasion, then one second (return out). The American one returns in the part the more so as Amélie makes two consecutive double-faults with 40-15. An aubaine for Capriati, which resticks to 2-2 then carries out 3-2. Amélie is contracted, saves a ball of 2-4. But over the second, she puts a flight of right blow in the net! Jenny tightens a fist ragor. She made most difficult. The more so as Amélie puts an easy smash in the corridor on a ball of 3-4. Terrible. To 5-3, Capriati obtains a first match point that Amélie superbly saves deadened flight. Better, it totals 5-4. The stage retains breath, Malheureusement, this tenth play will be fatal to the Frenchwoman. Carried out 30-40, she comes to the net but her flight is not supported enough and Capriati draws a passing from long reverse of line imparable at the end of 2h08 ' of match. Really rageant. The American one has made double blow since she recovers by the same occasion its world place of n°1, occupied for seven weeks by Venus Williams. She will be thus head of series n°1 in Roland-Garros. And holding of the title.
(A Rome, Eric Salliot)

Sonja
May 18th, 2002, 09:57 PM
I like the idea but I'm torn as to whether to use the photo area that is already established or start our own. I've uploaded some photos to the photo area already. The down side to using this area is the photos aren't seen immediately, as they have to be reviewed by an administrator. They're also less likely to be viewed there as they're not in the Amezon forum.

I wonder how slow the thread would be to load if we made a photo thread. I know some of the other forums have them, so when you get a free moment, check them out and give me your opinion please. The down side to a photo thread would be the slowness, but also needing a place to host them before they're posted.

Just some things to consider. I'm open to all ideas!!

Of course we have to behave (to a certain extent). :p We must be the silly crazy Amezons, as we always are. We just have to be respectful of other players and board members, which I don't think many of us have a problem with. Personally, I think we are one of the best behaved fan groups on the site (but some say I'm somewhat biased).

*Izzy*
May 18th, 2002, 10:17 PM
I popped into Jenn's Den and....:rolleyes: ...Marti-Parti (Arrgh! My eyes!) and I noticed that, yeah, the threads take quite a while to load. But it would be nice to have a photo thread for Amelie in this forum (cos let's face it, it's looking a bit empty at the moment) :sad: and also, isn't there an option to have fewer posts shown per page? That could cut down on loading times.:)

Apologies for my disrespect to a certain other player there...:p

Sonja
May 18th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Then I think you should start it Frey, as it was your idea! A damn good one too.

So let the pictures begin; you post some, and I'll be there right behind you :D

You're ok Frey. I meant blatent insults to other players, and things that are said of a personal nature.

*Izzy*
May 18th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Ok, I get where you're coming from, Sonja :angel: (I've been in Gen Messages today...):eek:

Consider the photo thread started:)

mettabear
May 19th, 2002, 06:10 AM
..dear Sonja

I need you to be biased, just like the rest of us:rolleyes:

I promise to behave as best I can and I'm trying to be supportive by posting here as well as on the other board.:angel: (..good bear good..)

also I want to take the opportunity to sincerely thankyou for the effort and committment you give to the boards, along with other senior members:hearts:

It's really fantastic to see your photos and updates so quickly..you make this old aussie very happy:bounce: :bounce: :hearts:

take care
metta

dhenni
May 19th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Great idea having a special Amélie article thread. :D

Thanks for posting the two articles, Sonja and Linnie. :)

I’m gonna have my eyes open whenever I can and keep my babbling fish working. See if I can beat anyone in speed.... and behave myself ;)

Milly
May 20th, 2002, 08:37 PM
:) Hey guys, that's a really great idea! How come I didn't think of that??? Doesn't matter, I'll do my best and post as often as I can. I'll even try to behave......as much as an Amezon can:) :) :)

Linnie
May 23rd, 2002, 04:33 PM
From the RG website:

"Echoes of Roland Garros"

Mauresmo: get right back on the Philippe Chatrier court

Compared to the past, Amélie Mauresmo has changed her way of preparing for the French Open. The idea of a workshop came about while the French team was playing the Fed Cup in Argentina, and it came to life this year. Amélie, Nathalie Dechy and Mary Pierce settled into a hotel around Versailles. They start their days together under the direction of Xavier Moreau, athletic trainer at the French Tennis Federation. Technique is worked on with their individual coaches. This morning, Amélie warmed up for a long time on the Philippe Chatrier court. Despite his combative efforts, her new coach Loïc Courteau, lost 6/0. Satisfied with the shape she's in, Courteau is hoping that Amélie will start her run on this very same court, despite her surprising loss to Jana Kandarr. Last year's trauma was analyzed . She's got to get past it. The quicker the better, stated Courteau.

mom3
May 23rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
An article interwiew of the Roland Garros magazine may 2002 :
title : "I need to loose the horses"
With a reputation for being fragiel on and off court, Amélie Mauresmo is starting the year afresh on that score, too, and now has all the weaponsshe needs to become the womens' number-one seed.
Interview with a champion who has matured.

Question (Christophe Escudero) :You' re difficult to meet and sem to be rather secretive.Do you hide ?
Answer : not at all.But at certain times of the year, I need to cut myself off from the world, which also includes the press.
And then I prefer to move around as little as possibleso asnot to disturb my programme.
I'm a bit frightened of doing too many things at once; so I try to keep properly focused and stick to my training programme.

mom3
May 23rd, 2002, 04:41 PM
second questin :
What are your relations like with the media ?
They're very good today.
I 'm conscious of the fact that in 1999, the year in which I became known to the general public and the media began solliciting me, I didn't always react well.
I made certain errors, there were others in which the press had its share.
I was also judged a bit hastily, which put me on
the defensive.
Today, I feel in harmony witeh myself. So it's easier to change under these conditions

mom3
May 23rd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Does your status make life easier for you ?
Some things which I found difficult to accept at the beginnig I quite like, like privileges that make it easier for me to get a table at a restaurant.Without asking for one, of course.Being recognized is nice, because you find yourself in contact with anonymous people who say what they think, comment on my matches, encourage me. Conversely, being well- known weighs on me when my privacy is disturbed.

In general, whether in your private life or on a court, is dealing with pressure a problem for you ?

I'm getting better on that score, too.
I'm not infallible, as could be seen at Roland Garros last year.
But I'm better at handling pressure; my results prove it.
I'm also growing up, I'm simplty becoming more mature.
People sometimes go too far seeking psychological explanations for what are basically simple matters, like personal development.

mom3
May 23rd, 2002, 05:03 PM
another one last for this evening :p

You sometimes talk of psychological failings to explain your defeats.Is this your Achille' heel ?

When you've reached a certain level, technically and physically, what makes the difference is somewhere else, in your head.
It's not my Achille'heel, but it's an area I've been working on for over a year with a sports psychologist.
Through discussions and becoming aware of certains things, I've made breakthroughts, broken down barriers, and rid myself of bad habits.
I try not to lose a set any more against lower seeds than myself, something that happened far too often in the past. And against players in the top ten, I'm gaining in confidence.
At the Open Gaz de Franceagainst Venus Williams, I messed up two forehands when serving for the match, when I'd pulled them all off until then.
To stop this kind of situation from repeating itself, I need to lose the horses.................

Linnie
May 23rd, 2002, 05:35 PM
Merci beaucoup, mom3!! :D

Lapin
May 23rd, 2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks Mom3! :D

dhenni
May 23rd, 2002, 06:58 PM
And me too thank you, mom3!

Sonja
May 23rd, 2002, 08:20 PM
Thanks mom3 and linnie!

Translated by Artemis

IN TIME AMELIE - L'Equipe 23 mai 2002

"She goes against prejudices"
Marie-Claude PREVITALI- Attachée de presse
Every monday mornings, we have a phone conversation concerning the interviews of the week. She doesn't calculate but accepts what is motivating for her. Her step ? Sharing what she's living, meeting people. She's ready to fight prejudices. Everybody gave her the advice to boycott Canal +, the TV channel with its "puppet show"(Les Guignols) where she's had her own puppet she's never seen at all. She accepted to give a long interview to Pascale Clark...(a Canal+ journalist).

She didn't want to miss this occasion to get an intellectual experience.

She also accepted to makes photos where her sensitivity and her feminity are well shown and answered to a long interview in "Marie France"(where she says how she began to see she's a good looking girl thanks to her girlfriend).

Today, Amélie wants to give more from herself, without any taboo. For the moment, she's still a suspicious woman, and she's afraid not to be matured enough or pertinent when she's taking positions. She needs to grow up.

Isabelle INCHAUSPE-Sport psychologist
"She asked me to work with her 1 year 1/2 ago ti try to get better in a personal way, and to develop her qualities on the court. She feels her potential but doesn't manage to cultivate. She's "blocking-up". Amélie needs to become an adult ; she's working for it. It's her particularity.

It's very hard to work with her because she's as stubborn as a mule, but when she's understood everything, she assumes everything. She's honest, never lies to herself, and doesn't hide in front of problems.

What happened last year in Roland-Garros is revealing. She tells that with her own words : "I wasn't there, I was away, a spectator. In my head, there's victory at the end, but you must not forget to live things day by day. It's basic but I live this way."

This analysis is the result of a work we've begun last year, after RG, sadness and anger. We've tried to find the reasons of our failure. I'm involved because I was not able to anticipate what's happened. She felt so right ! We've missed a stage : she didn't "go back on earth". She was in a dream. She didn't see she had to play. We still work on this incident about RG, but it's not an obsession. For Amélie, it's not the arrival. That's why it's not a problem if she stopped her professional relation with Alexia 15 days before the beginning of the tournament. As they explained it, nothing was motivating between them, it was "flat".

Mauresmo is not an idyll : she's selfish and boring. She needs to play to rank above the others.

In a private way, she's generous, interested in everything. She needs to learn, knowledge is her favourite thing. The closed world of tennis is not interesting enough for her. She needs an opened world to move forward in her life, as we all do.

Alexia DECHAUME-ex-coach (Feb.2000 to May2002)
"Amélie has got strength even during difficult moments. She's deeply honest and never trains in wrong ways. Very matured, she's got a very deep desire to express herself. with her, conversations go very far. She really try to cultivate her brain power. She reads a lot, tries to understand people. She's got an amazing memory. She knows by heart every songs words, every phone number she wants. She's always joking with us about that ! She wants to win in everything... When she loses, she's sad for some minutes : she hates to loose ! "Amé" is a girl who's very hard to please. Our professional relation is off, but our friendship is preserved. I didn't manage to reach her demand at all ; it should have been ridiculous to insist. She got no time to lose."

Justine HENIN-No. 8 WTA Ranking
"I met Amélie during a Championship, 4 or 5 years ago. I immediately appreciate her personality. We laugh a lot together. In my opinion, Amélie enjoys life ! She's the kind of girl who's able to talk about other things, not only tennis : that's quite pleasant. What I like with her is that she plays with her heart."

mom3
May 24th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Another question and I will be back this evening ;)
Of the top ten women's seeds, eight have a powerful game today. Is that what women's tennis is all about ?

No. Though powerful, I don't put myself in the category of women platyers who do only one thing: hit hard and flat.Women's tennis has increased in power, of course.
But I think the trend will reverse or level out, halfway between thez subtlely of a Martina Hingis, and the power of a Venus Williams.
The moment the majority of women players find themselves on much the same level, there will have to be something else to make the difference.

Your aim is to become world champion. Whay do you still need to achieve this ?
A bit of time, to begin with, but above all consistency.
That requires greater mental powers -that staying power you find at times in players like Jennifer Capriati, who have one Grand slam victory after another, or Venus or Hingis, at certain moments.
So I have to work on that, turn myself into a kid of winning machine.
To be number one, you have to put aside your "human" failings, like loosing your temper or feeling frustrated.
I 'm not saying you have to become a robot, or a killer.
But if I can handle my emotions better, I'll certainly progress in the hierarchy.

see you later... for the other ones

Sonja
May 24th, 2002, 02:41 PM
I've edited my above post to inlcude the end of the story...

Keep 'em coming mom3 and Thanks again Artemis

Lapin
May 24th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Thanks again everyone! :D

mom3
May 24th, 2002, 05:16 PM
And now two questions again :bounce:
excuse me, I have not too many time to write that :sad:

How do you explain the comeback of Jennifer Capriati ?

When she came back on the circuit, she benefited from "wild cards" or had not to play in qualifying rounds.
But she has such a strong personality, she was so desperate to get herself out of the situation she'd got herself into, that all thatwas stronger than her descent into hell. Today, she' at 100 000 volts on a court.
I, on the other hand, often complicate matters-for no good reason, what's more- and I need to think more clearly.

What excites you most on a tennis court ?

In the first place , the public.
To feel a stadium won over to your cause or just involved in the match is an amazing sensation.
Playing one winning shot after another, without really thinking about it, also gives me a lot of pleasure.

Last but not least......:drool:
The proust questionnaire:

your main personality trait ? Pig-headedness
The quality you most appreciate in a man or a woman ? Generosity
Your main defect ? pig-headedness
Your favorite occupation ? filling my cellar with wine
Your idea of happiness ? it doesn't exist
What would you like to be ? What I am
The thing you have been most successful in your life ?
My development as a woman
YOUR BIGGEST REGRET ? Roland Garros last year
The talent you would like to possess ?
To be a musician, play classical guitar
The most precious thing you own ?
The trust certain people have in me
the defect for which you feel the most indulgence ?
I'm not very indulgent
What you loathe more than anything ?
Hypocrisy
The reform you most admire ?
The extending of the legal time-limit on abortion by two weeks
Your motto ?
To try to be or to become myself
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

griffin
May 24th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Thanks, mom :D

Milly
May 24th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Thanks mom and rest of you guys!!!
Keep the good work!:) :) :)

galadriel
May 25th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Thanks a lot :D

mom3
May 25th, 2002, 04:50 PM
A new question by the same guy :cool:

What do you think about the atmosphere on the women's circuit ?

The picture has been made to seem blacker than it really is.
People even talked about a war in the changing-room.
True ,we seldom dine together in the evening, but the atmosphere is perfectly serene and respectful.
There's a raport that you also find in doubles partners or between players: Monica was a witness at the marriage of Mary Jo Fernandez (now retired), and Anke Huber at that of Julie Halard (likewise retired)

next one in a few minutes...;)

mom3
May 25th, 2002, 05:28 PM
What do you think of the views expressed by Nathalie Tauziat in her book "les dessous du tennis féminin" ?

I didn't really understand very much.To bring out a book at the end of a very fine career is perfectly legitimate : Nathalie had a lot of things to say and teach the young who dream of taking up this profession.
The contents, i other words, disappointed me.
I think she got carried away and wasn't given proper advice.
Thre again, perhaps she did want to settle scores after all....

And what about of Marcelo Rios saying the women's circuit is too "easy" ?

It's questionnable, to say the least. It may have been the case 15 years ago, but women's tennis has changed a great deal since then.
In the end, we're following the same path that men took in the 1980s, when you'd often find the same players in the final, i.e, Nastase, Borg, or Vilas on clay and Lendl, Connors and MacEnroe
on hard surface

mom3
May 25th, 2002, 05:38 PM
You have no hesitation talking about social issues from time to time, sch as equal opportunities for men and women....

I don't have a hard-and-fast position on the matter.
And the subjet becomes comical when people "place" a woman in a job in the name of equal opportunity, when a man would be more efficient.
But sometimes, as I recently heard someone say during a debate on the question, you are obliged to go to the extremes to balance things out.
One thing seems obvious to me, on the other hand :equal ability means equal pay

And the gay cause ? Does it still need defending ?

It's increasingly integrated in our societies.
As for militancy.....I do not want to be a standard-bearer for any cause whatsoever.
If I've been able to help homosexuals or society to open up, all well and good, but we should stop talking in terms of differences.

mom3
May 25th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Do you ever suffer because of your sexual tastes ?

Not any more.
I'm much more at ease with myself, so I'm less affecteed by remarks people might make, which seldom happens in any case.
It's not a taboo subjest at all.
I even poke fun at it, or at myself, at times.
Which was't always the case.

What ideal world would you like to live in ?

In a world where people respect each other.
Ther's a lot of talk about social problems and violence.
Wer're all aware that there is indeed a problem somewhere : at the level of education, both parental and national.
I don't have to many illusions about this... Human relations based on mutual respect would certainly be healthier.
Both in relation to ecology, where the situation is catastrophic at times, and to children.
So many things would need to change to make an ideal world.
I'd love to have the miracle cure.

That's all folks .....:kiss:
Up to the tournament.....I'll go monday and thursday :bounce:

*Izzy*
May 25th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all the articles, people! :wavey:

Linnie
May 25th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Thank you, mom3!! :D

Have a great time, and give us a full report!!! :D

mom3
May 26th, 2002, 07:59 AM
I 'll try, but next week. Unfortunatly I've not a camera, and so I 'ill be anable to give you pics :sad:
Yes...... I know..... I'm stupid and selfish :rolleyes: ........sorry

dhenni
May 26th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Of course you’re not, mom3, on the contrary. Have a great time next week and thank you again for the articles and also to everybody else making this thread so lively. I love it. :D ;)

*Izzy*
May 31st, 2002, 10:30 PM
http://www.rolandgarros.org/en/news/interviews/200205312323172fe852221b9c733e80256bca0074980d.htm l

From the Roland Garros website- Amelie's interview after whupping Eva Bes :)

A. MAURESMO/E. Bes 6-1, 6-1

Q. You seem to be feeling more and more sure of yourself.
AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, I had a good time out there today. I'm hitting the ball more freely. I'm more and more in control. It's true, it's very enjoyable. It's a really good thing to be able to play matches like that.

Q. When you see the score, was it as easy as it looked?
AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, you have to build up each point and each game in order to get a score such as I did. Perhaps the second set was a little bit tighter. She fought back a little bit more. But in the end, I won the big points. The key moments of the match went my way. I took my chances when they came, and that was it.

Q. So you kept focused?
AMELIE MAURESMO: Yes. I try and take it one point at a time. On each point I know what I have to do, and that's how I get through.

Q. Given today's performance, we think you've come a long way. What do you think?
AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, I haven't had a look at the draw. It hasn't changed since the first day. I think I'm taking things very calmly. I'm building up momentum. I'm feeling more and more comfortable in my shots and on the court. I'm meeting Suarez in the next round. I really want to play a strong game. I recently beat her in the Fed Cup. It's true, I'm looking forward to Sunday so that I can give my all. But I don't want to look any further than that for the moment. I'm still acting the same as I did from the beginning.

Q. What lessons did you learn from the match?
AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, it was good. I haven't played this style of game, which is more like perhaps Suarez's game. She hits the ball harder, and she's stronger. But I think it will be a good test. It will be positive. I didn't think that she would play like that. I didn't know her at all. So at the beginning it was unknown territory, then I was able to adapt fairly quickly.

Q. But what about Suarez's match when you beat her? I was referring to that. How do you analyze Suarez's game? What's the difference?
AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, I felt good in all parts of the game. Physically I felt well. I think she felt a little bit tired. She held up a little less well. I watched her match against Nathalie today. Both players played a very good match. I think Suarez's was able to capitalize on her chances. She's tough. She plays well from the baseline. If I can dominate, then I think I'll be okay. It will be more difficult, but I'll have to do that type of thing.

Q. I was wondering whether you watched the football this morning?
AMELIE MAURESMO: Yes.

Q. Where did you watch it?
AMELIE MAURESMO: I watch it, the first half, here, and then back home. I went back.

mom3
Jun 5th, 2002, 03:49 PM
I 'm so sorry, she did'nt "loose the horses" but lost them :sad: :sad:
I did'nt understand at all, what has happened, she was suffering a lot, trying to do her best, so hard, instead of enjoying to play with such support !
Oh my God, we were suffering with her, it's was horrible :eek:
She should have be a semi finalist, there is no a doubt about it :rolleyes:

Why is she so afraid to play in Roland :rolleyes:
she like to play with french public support, I have seen it in the Open Gaz :p
so why, why, why ?
no need of a "new brain" please, but a new memory about her wins in Roland ! Please remenber of 1996, and even of your fight with Monica in 2000. You were so happy to play here !
So see you next year;)

saff76ar
Jun 6th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Hi all :wavey:, just thought you might enjoy this tidbit on how popular Amelie is, Mary beat her at the poll, but a second place is more than nice, isn't it? ;)

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en/news/behind.html

Fans love Mary

Thursday, June 6, 2002

Popular Frenchwoman Mary Pierce was presented with the Sanex Fans Award on Tuesday, after being voted by the public as the nicest and most natural player of the tournament.

Pierce received the award during a ceremony held at the Sanex stand. It was a nice consolation for the 2000 winner, who earlier that day had suffered a crushing 6-1 6-1 quarterfinal loss to the American Serena Williams.

Of 70,352 votes registered, Pierce collected 16,180 or approximately 23 per cent. Right behind her was Amélie Mauresmo (13,023 votes or 18 per cent) and Jennifer Capriati (11,256 votes or 16 per cent). Following them were Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Monica Seles and Venus Williams.

The votes were registered in three ways: 27,200 on the Sanex stand, 25,102 through the press and 18,050 on the Internet.

The trophy confirms that Pierce's popularity at Roland Garros has not waned, despite her long-time absence from the courts due to injuries. Pierce gained the overwhelming crowd support in all of her matches this tournament, and posted a great result, despite her lack of preparation.

Sonja
Jun 6th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks saff76ar!

Of course, I favor Amelie, but Mary is a class act too ;)

Sonja
Jun 8th, 2002, 05:17 PM
More, compliments of saffar76

http://old.clarin.com/diario/2002/04/25/fotos/d011dh01.jpg

http://old.clarin.com/diario/2002/04/25/d-01101.htm

Translated by mcblonde

Tennis: in 99 shocked the world with her game and revealing her sexuality...
MAURESMO, A TALE FULL OF TALENT AND PRIDE....
The french is 10th in the world ranking and will be the leader of her country Vs Argentina this weekend playing the fed Cup first round.

"Everything is OK", she answered feeling uneasy when asked about her relation with Hingis and Davenport after australia 99. The talented and cheerful french number 1, surely hasnt forgotten that summer in Melobourne.

Born in laye, 5tth July 79, Mauresmo was hit by his compatriot Noah when he won RG in 83. From that moment her love for tennis was unique and Tennis Club Mero witnessed the unfold of her best shots.,,,and she never stopped,,,She won RG and wimbledon junior and the same year 96 she was proclamed World champion in the same category. Today she has 7 tournaments under her belt but failed to reach the glory of a grand slam. So close she was 3 years ago,,,,

In the semis of that australian open, this girl with a fantastic body and well pronounced muscles, who celebrated Xmass eve in a McDonalds cause the french federation believes their junior players should take care of temshelves and be independent, defeated Davenport. (starting to think it was that burger..lol). If everthing would have been normal, she would have enjoyed like crazy reaching the final, but the number one said tio the press."there were times i felt i was playing against a man". And the debate was open,,ending on Mauresmos declaring openly her homosexuality.. The attacks followd, this time from Hingis.."She is here with her gf. She is half man" Later she tried to clarify her coments with "She has an unusual game for female tennis. Is not like she is a man". The gf name was S. Bourdon and she was 12 years older than her. Two years after that tournament she said: "After that day I became a free person".

Mauresmo met SB and her then coach C. Fournerie in 97. He remembers the encounter: " We were eating one day at Isabelles Demongeont and we met. We talked loads. That very same night she met her gf"

But of course, her life was tennis. In 2000 she was away from the courts for 8 months caused by a back injury. And at the same time she explains this to us, she gets up from her chair at the room where we are in The 4 seasons hotel and excused hersel cause "Right now I have to go to the massage room. I want to take full advantage of it.." and start telling us about her phisical problems "When you return from being injured you become stronger. You need to look at the positive side of it" On that year 200, she defeated Hingis and Davenport, as a sweet revenge.

Today, Mauresmo, who at 11, stood out in skii, says that "Venus and Capriati are the best of the circuit" and talks about how "they werent scare about coming to Arentina in spite of the siuation the country is living". and it comments " We want to win the cup altough we know the french supporters do not give it the same importance as Davis cup"

Today, Amelie Mauresmo is here in Buenos Aires to take us throught her tennis, her impresive personality and movements in court so similar to Sabatinis., with her pride and honesty open to everyone.

Artemis
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:32 PM
:wavey: Hello Sonja and everybody;) ! Don't worry about the articles... and the translations ! I'm ready for all the season and I'll try to find interesting things in the french press, you can be sure of that :)

saff76ar
Jun 10th, 2002, 07:15 PM
To Sonja and the other regs from Amelie's world, be patient, i'll try doing a proper translation of this article later. ;)

Milly
Jun 10th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys!!!
:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Milly
Jun 11th, 2002, 09:38 PM
This is an old article, but still a really good one, so it's worth reading. Enjoy!

Out in the Open
from 'Women's Sport and Fitness, August 1999',

A day of golden Parisian light and fragrant summer breezes... A day of anticipation at Roland Garros stadium on the first day of the 1999 French Open. The tennis fans pour out of the Metro at Porte d'Auteuil. Towering above them, 75 feet high and covering the walls of two buildings, is the muscular figure of Amelie Mauresmo, la nouvelle coqueluche ("the new darling") of the French sporting public, serving an ace. The billboard is there courtesy of her sponsor, Nike, who got out the paint to replace Ronaldo, the Brazilian soccer idol, with its newest superstar.

As crowds walk along the great avenue of horse chestnut trees that leads to the stadium, young women in green and gold dresses, more numerous than the ticket touts, are handing out publicity flyers for another young tennis star, the blonde and genetically-gifted Anna Kournikova. The flyer shows "The Golden Girl's" feminine curves accented by a canary-yellow mini-dress. (If you'd played your cards right during the French Open, you could have acquired an authentic piece of Kournikova's dress, free of charge from the Adidas stand, "while stocks last"... The equivalent prize in medieval Europe would have been a fragment of the Holy Cross.)

The biggest similarity between the two stars... other than the commercial behemoth of sponsorship behind them... has to do with the emphasis on their sexuality. While Kournikova is known for her Lolita looks and body-hugging outfits, Mauresmo attained stardom last January at the Australian Open when she announced her homosexuality and named her partner. She did this openly, unequivocally, even joyously. And in case the point wasn't quite clear, she leapt into the arms of her lover and exchanged hugs and kisses after upsetting No. 1 ranked Lindsay Davenport in the semi-finals.

This jaw-dropping display of affection was a first in sports history. Other athletes have announced their homosexuality, of course, but never so early in their careers and never so forthrightly. Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova, two of the world's most famous gay athletes, came out reluctantly and to little enthusiasm from crowds and sponsors. (Both King and Navratilova lost millions of dollars.) "It was a very brave thing for Amelie to do," said Navratilova. "Still, I would rather it was her tennis, not her sexual preference, that made the headlines."

Wishful thinking. Within hours of Mauresmo's declaration to a French reporter at the Australian Open that she was with her new amie... adding pointedly, that's "amie" with an "e" on the end.... newspapers around the world were trumpeting the story. While the Women's Tennis Association desperately tried to steer the reporters to other subjects, the crowds rallied behind Mauresmo, cheering "Allez, Amelie, alleeez!" at her matches.

"I've never seen anyone, in any sport, rise from anonymity to superstar status so rapidly," says London SUNDAY TIMES tennis writer Richard Evans.

The groundswell for the 19-year old was fueled by a backlash against homophobic remarks made by her peers in Australia. Lindsay Davenport, who the unseeded Mauresmo out-psyched and outplayed in the semi-finals, complained after the match, "Her shoulders looked huge to me... I think they must have grown," and added that at times she had the impression she was "playing against a guy." Martina Hingis, who defeated Mauresmo in the final, jumped on the trash wagon, calling the young French player "half a man," adding sneeringly, "she's here with her girlfriend."

(Davenport later apologized in writing to Mauresmo, saying she was referring only to her tennis, an apology the young Frenchwoman accepted graciously. Hingis' response was more grudging, and bad blood continues between the players.)

Back in France, the homophobia helped crystallize public opinion into national sentiment. "How dare Hingis make derogatory remarks about our homegrown champion!" French headlines roared. When Mauresmo and her girlfriend, Sylvie Bourdon, returned to Paris after a 10-day post-Australia vacation in the South Pacific, they were newly-minted celebrities. Prime Minister Lionel Jospin invited Mauresmo to a high-profile International Women's Day reception, where they were photographed together (more for his benefit than hers). Mauresmo's face became familiar throughout France from countless magazine, newspaper, and television interviews. Videos of Mauresmo in action played over and over in Paris' leading lesbian bar. And a reverential Web site run by a young Austrian male enthusiast began reporting her every move. (His response to a fan who wanted to see "a topless picture" of Mauresmo and her girlfriend was blunt and protective. "Would you like to see a nude picture of yourself on the Internet? I suppose not! Neither do Amelie and Sylvie.")

Most significantly, all of Mauresmo's sponsors.. Nike, Dunlop, Babolat, and Gaz de France...rallied behind her. "We are a massive supporter of Amelie as a tennis player and believe she has the potential to be the best in the world," says Nick Blofeld, Dunlop's international marketing director for tennis. "we signed her up two and a half years ago... we were attracted by her athleticism, skill, and dedication. Her sexuality is her own business and has no impact on our sponsorship."

The acid test of acceptance has always been sponsors' reactions, and Mauresmo seems fully confident of her marketability. If, for any reason, sponsors were to turn against her, she says "there'll be dozens more who will take me... if they let me go for that, they are jerks anyway."

In fact, Mauresmo's manager, Ivan Brixi of Advantage International, reports that since Mauresmo's declaration, two new sponsors, both French, have signed on. The are Moulinex(electrical appliances) and TPS (a cable TV network). Talks are also underway with other potential sponsors, her manager says, adding, "The cases of Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova are not a good comparison. That was a different time, a different era."

So the scene is set. Mauresmo becomes a bona fide national hero and the fairy tale should have a happy ending. In the traditional story, the gay athlete comes out, suffers public criticism but finds personal happiness. In this tale, however, the opposite appears to have happened: the public responds with love and support while the athlete's personal life enters a rocky period. None of it is surprising, of course. When Mauresmo came out so dramatically, she crossed a new frontier and assumed a burden that Anna Kournikova and other heterosexual athletes would never have to bear.

Pioneers usually find there is a price tag to their daring, and Mauresmo was about to foot the bill. The whirlwind romance started last November, when Bourdon, 32, the co-owner of a restaurant in St. Tropez, asked her childhood friend, Isabelle Demongeot, a former player on the women's tour, to introduce her to Mauresmo, whom she had watched on television. Demongeot, who coaches several players, invited Mauresmo and Bourdon to a dinner party at her home outside Paris. It was a "coup-de-foudre" (love at first sight). "They hit it off immediately," says Demongeot. Mauresmo soon left Paris to live with Bourdon in St. Tropez and began working with one of Demongeot's coaches, Christophe Fournerie. She increased her weight training and running, and her game intensified along with her love life. "Looking up at Sylvie during matches gave me that little extra support that I needed," Mauresmo said at the Australian Open in January. "Finding her and having such a good personal life now has made the difference in my tennis. It has been the missing part of my life."

Bourdon seemed to enjoy the publicity at the Australian Open, too, and began giving interviews of her own. "I am Amelie's lover, not her psychiatrist," she told reporters. "But we talk, and talk is like therapy so that she feels more positive and confident about herself and her tennis. She wasn't getting that kind of support. Now she has a good balance in her life, and she is happy."

In February, Mauresmo reached the quarter-finals of the Gaz de France Open in Paris... and a rematch with her new arch rival Martina Hingis. When Mauresmo took the court, fans were primed to boo Hingis, who remarked afterward that the atmosphere reminded her more of "a soccer match. It could have been France against Brazil." When Mauresmo won, the crowd went wild.

"It was the most incredible feeling," she said. "People gave me so much support and energy. They really made me want to play my best. I've always known I had the capability; it just finally felt so good to play so well and come through with the big victory." Other observers were astonished by the public condemnation of Hingis. "They were booing because she is homophobic," marvelled LE MONDE'S Benedicte Mathieu. "On that day they were all defending Amelie against Hingis."

Mauresmo and Bourdon returned to St. Tropez in mid-February. Mauresmo's own game plan had been to get her private life out in the open and move on. But a sports mad world, fed by a ravenous press, dictated otherwise. Now, when she arrived at practice, she found fans crowding around the court, begging for autographs. Wherever she went, she was pursued. Gay groups besieged her with requests. (In April, Mauresmo publicly endorsed a bill in the French parliament which would give gay and lesbian partners the same legal rights as heterosexual couples.) Activists pressured her to talk only to the gay and the French press. The pressure took its toll. Soon, Mauresmo was cutting back on her workouts.

Eyebrows rose in March when Bourdon took over Christophe Fournerie's coaching duties for the spring tournament circuit in the United States. "I can chart Amelie's matches and help with her tennis," explained Bourdon, who had once been a junior player. "There is no reason to have someone else all the time. It is easier with just the two of us."

By the time Mauresmo arrived in the United States, it was clear she wasn't the same player she had been in Australia. The sparkle was gone from her eyes, and the spark had vanished from her game. She had lost 15 pounds, her muscular physique had shrunk, apparently from lack of training. Her moods were as erratic as her ground strokes. Instead of practicing, she played Pac-Man for hours in the players' lounge.

Other players complained about the couple's displays of affection. "Why does she have to be so openly affectionate with Bourdon?" asked one. "Get a hotel room," snickered another.

While fans cheered Mauresmo, tour officials privately worried about the high-profile romance. The Women's Tennis Association was searching for a world-wide sponsor and was clearly uncomfortable with news of players' sexuality. "We have players from more than 70 different countries on the tour, people from every race, colour, and creed. We're not interested in social or political agendas. We're only interested in marketing the players."

WTA officials went so far as to scold reporters who gave Bourdon coverage and sought to keep Mauresmo's press conferences focused on tennis. "This is totally not classy to write about Amelie's girlfriend," one WTA official reprimanded a journalist. Officials warned Mauresmo not to air her private life in the papers, and she got the message. "I want the press to focus on my tennis now and not my private life," she announced.

The first signs of trouble in Mauresmo's game appeared in March at the Lipton Championships in Florida where she suffered a dismal third-round loss. Isabelle Demongeot joined Mauresmo and Bourdon at the next tournament at Hilton Head, South Carolina, but a few days of her coaching couldn't compensate for a lack of training. Mauresmo's racquet preparation was late and her foot speed sluggish. This time, she lost in the second round. From the beginning to the end of May, her ranking would slip from No. 10 to No. 17. Still, her entourage's hopes were high. "Amelie can get it all back," assured Demongeot. "She still has the ability and talent. It's a question of motivation. So much came so quickly that Amelie was emotionally exhausted. I'm not surprised she did not do well in the U.S. tournaments. But you wait. She will gear back up."

By the eve of the French open in May, the French public had whipped itself into a state of high anticipation, especially when the draw revealed that Mauresmo would meet top-seeded Hingis in the second round. Mauresmo admitted at a press conference before the match that Hingis' comments were still in her head. "It's part of my motivation against her," she said.

The match unfolded as a tense gladitorial contest. The players contrasting personalities and styles were captured by their headgear. Hingis wore a neat, white headband, her hair tied in a short, high ponytail. Mauresmo was casual, boyish, slightly cocky with a white baseball cap on backward. The shadows were lengthening over a capacity crowd when the players came on at 6:30 PM. Mauresmo seemed withdrawn and tentative. Nevertheless, the partisan crowd made its intentions clear, cheering Mauresmo's shots and booing Hingis' in the warm-up period. Mauresmo began the match hitting her stinging, topspin ground strokes while Hingis was nervous and unsettled.

But Hingis found her confidence, helped by the support of a small but vociferous group of fans waving a Swiss flag. She cranked up her game, silencing the Amelie fan club. Mauresmo, who had already started to make unforced errors, began to fade, reflecting her inexperience in big match play, and perhaps her own nerves. A silver moon made its appearance and within an hour, it was all over.

What happened next stunned tennis officials and the few reporters who were waiting for the players to leave the court. As a dejected Mauresmo entered the passageway to the locker room, Bourdon appeared suddenly. "Merde! Merde!" she screamed at the teenager. "How could you do this? What is wrong with you? You have ruined everything! I can't believe the way you played! You were shit, absolute shit!" As Bourdon jabbed her finger in Mauresmo's face, the shocked teenager skittered around her and made a beeline for the locker room door. A security guard stepped in front of the entrance, barring Bourdon from following. "How can she go out and play like that after all the work, all the trouble?" Bourdon wailed. "With everyone watching, she plays like shit!" As Mauresmo's sobs echoed from the locker room, Bourdon continued. "This wasn't handled right! There was too much press, too many demands, too much on Amelie. This was all wrong. It was handled all wrong."

The scene was a sad and disturbing sequel to Mauresmo's Australian Open showing five months earlier. Since then, it has prompted questions about the young player's emotional stability and her relationship with Bourdon. Has intense publicity derailed Mauresmo's promising rise? Is she the victim of a controlling older woman? Can she handle the pressure of being the world's most famous gay female athlete? Or is this yet another cautionary tale of a vulnerable youngster adrift in a sport littered with great expectations sadly unfulfilled?

One day after the explosive scene with Bourdon at the French Open, Mauresmo turned her ankle during a doubles match and tore a ligament. The injury forced her to skip Wimbledon and undergo six weeks of rehabilitation. Ivan Brixi says she is fit again and has started training. "She will return to competitive tennis in late July or early August and play in one or two tournaments... then she will play at the U.S. Open," he said. Brixi, understandably, downplays the problems Mauresmo has been experiencing. He says the relationship with Bourdon is fine, and that the couple continue to live together in St. Tropez. As for the coaching, he explains that Fournerie, her coach at the start of the year, and Bourdon's friend, Demongeot, will share dual roles, meaning one or the other will accompany Mauresmo to tournaments.

Mauresmo has acknowledged the pressure she has been under during the past six months. "It's been absolutely unbelievable, the reaction since the Australian Open final and the Paris (Gaz) Open final," she told a reporter. "I never expected this. I always thought I could be a great player and No.1, but never thought I would get this attention. It has been great, but also very difficult. All the other stuff, the media, the attention, takes away my energy. Sometimes, it is too much. My life has really changed, and there is much more for me to think about. It is not just playing tennis anymore."

Young players usually turn to their families in moments of crisis. However, Mauresmo's relationship with her family... father, Francis, a chemical engineer; mother, Francoise, a homemaker; and older brother Fabien, a student...took a turn for the worse when she came out in January. "They have trouble with my being gay, and they don't know how to handle it," said Mauresmo, who did begin speaking to them by telephone in May in an attempt to bridge the divide. "It's been very difficult not talking to them," she acknowledges. "It's always best to be able to talk to your parents, but I can only be who I am. I cannot change for them."

Her parents are the ones who encouraged Amelie when she fell in love with tennis while watching Yannick Noah win the 1983 French Open on TV. Just four years old, she asked for a racquet and was soon hitting forehands and backhands off the garden wall. Instructors at a local tennis club immediately recognized her natural ability. Her determination and confidence were almost comical. The tennis club president, Andre Mallet told "The Irish Times"... " One day Amelie saw Steffi Graf being interviewed on TV, and Steffi said her girlhood ambition had been to beat Martina Navratilova. Amelie turned and said, "Well, one day I'll beat Steffi." On another occasion, she announced she was going to learn English. "So that I can manage interviews after I've won big tournaments."

Mauresmo's passion for tennis led to her decision to move away from home and live at the national tennis training school in central France when she was 11. Two years later, she was accepted at the national sports training centre in Vincennes, near Paris, which was home to the country's elite athletes.

She won the junior French and Wimbledon titles in 1996 at 16, and players remember her turning heads that year when she appeared at the Wimbledon champions ball in a stunning ankle-length black dress. Her personality kept pace with her career; She was a gregarious youngster... friendly, open, direct, and humorous.

Mauresmo got off to a fast start in 1998; Ranked No. 65, she qualified for the German Open and beat No. 2 ranked Lindsay Davenport and No. 3 ranked Jana Novotna to get to the finals. In July, her former hero, Yannick Noah, picked her for France's international Fed Cup squad. Soon after, she met Bourdon, and her life changed forever.

So far, Mauresmo doesn't appear to regret her choices. "I feel good with my relationship and how my life is going," she told a journalist in late April. "I have nothing to be ashamed about and nothing to hide. I decided to be open with this at the beginning because I did not want to live my life worrying about anything. For once, I think I am going in the right direction. I believe I can beat the best players in the world because I have already done it. The more I win, the more confidence I get, the more chance I will have to be No. 1.

"There's every chance that Mauresmo will be a regular in the top ten," agrees Eugene Scott, editor of TENNIS WEEK. "Her power and style of play are representative of the way women's tennis is going." People close to Mauresmo are confident she will emerge a stronger person as well as a stronger player. For a young woman, she is remarkably poised. She is also intelligent and, unlike many young players on the tour, actually reads books. Her author of choice is the Austrian Jewish poet, biographer, translator, and novelist, Stefan Zweig, who was influenced by Freud's theories. Zweig's "La Confusion des Sentiments" ("The Confusion of Feelings") is her favourite. Her most appealing characteristic is still her frankness. She loves tennis and she loves her rapport with the crowd, she says. She wants to progress, to get to the top. But tennis is not everything. A normal life, surrounded by her friends and doing other things, is important to her. "I need to break the tennis routine from time to time," she says. "If I didn't, I would blow a fuse."

Billie Jean King praises Mauresmo for something more than her bravery in coming out. "She's comfortable in her own skin, which is very important," says King. This is perhaps one of the most striking aspects of the whole affair. Mauresmo represents a section of her generation that is both confident and unapologetic about its sexual preferences. There is a refreshing candour and joy about the way in which she came out that contrasts with the anguished, veiled, and ambivalent revelations of the past. In January, she responded to a question about whether her decision to come out might serve as an example for other gay players on the tour; "Perhaps. I hope so for them because right now they are the ones who are having a hard time dealing with their situation. I feel sorry for them."

The Mauresmo story, of course, raises a question about the broader implications of her actions. How might an American athlete of her stature be received upon coming out?

Catherine Stimpson, dean of New York University's Graduate School of Arts & Science and a cultural critic, doubts the reception in the United States would be as positive. "It's wonderful that her French sponsors have stood behind her and that new companies have signed her on," says Stimpson. "But imagine if Mauresmo were from, say, Phoenix, Arizona. Would BellSouth be running to her and offering her a sponsorship? Would she be on the Wheaties box?"

Maybe not. One thing is certain, though. Mauresmo has irrevocably altered the landscape. It is hard the predict what the reaction will be when the next gay athlete comes out. But, as the Kournikova flyers, and now the Nike billboard at the French Open suggest, sex sells.

saff76ar
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Great in depth article, thanks for posting it Milly. ;)

galadriel
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Thank you Milly:D

Irish
Jun 13th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Amelie is featured in the Baseline section of the Jul/Aug Tennis magazine. It is called, "The World According to Amelie Mauresmo".

Linnie
Jun 14th, 2002, 02:24 AM
OMG :eek:!! Thanks, Irish! I just got it in the mail today! :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid22/p49fe29fed3cd5c6d22a2770450b1efe6/fda5f47e.jpg

Milly
Jun 15th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Thanks Linnie!

Linnie
Jun 17th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Hardly anyone is reading these :( but what the heck...;)

Mauresmo sets out to prove she can play on grass

PARIS (Reuters) - France's Amelie Mauresmo, who disappointed once again on the claycourts of Roland Garros, believes she has what it takes to play well on grass.
"I know I have the weapons to play well on grass. I hope to prove it this week," said the Frenchwoman, who starts her grasscourt compaign on Tuesday at the Ordina Open in the Netherlands.
Mauresmo, who was beaten by unfancied Argentine Paola Suarez in the fourth round of the French Open earlier this month, arrived in the Netherlands early to practise on grass with new coach Loic Courteau.
"After the French Open, I needed a short break to avoid thinking too much about my defeat," she said on her website.
"I resumed training even though I did not quite feel like it.
"I've been practising for four days on a surface that is so different from clay, trying to find the right gestures and moves that grass requires," she added.
Mauresmo parted with coach Alexia Dechaume before the French Open to start working with ex-pro Courteau and she said the co-operation would last at least into Wimbledon.
"We don't have any long term plans only that as long as it works fine, we'll go on like this," said Mauresmo, who has never progressed beyond the third round at Wimbledon in three previous appearances.

Sonja
Jun 17th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Read, appreciated, and posted.

I couldn't find anything new; thanks for your help!!

Linnie
Jun 17th, 2002, 01:41 PM
:wavey: :D

dhenni
Jun 17th, 2002, 05:55 PM
I read it, Linnie. Thank you! :)

griffin
Jun 17th, 2002, 06:25 PM
no, Lin, it's YOU we're ignoring :p

Funny, those quotes look quite similar to what she's posted in her diary...you don't think the reporter just copied the journal without bothering to talk to her, do you :o

:rolleyes:

Linnie
Jun 17th, 2002, 09:58 PM
:p

There seems to be an epidemic of that going on :rolleyes:

I just hope she's practicing on the grass, and not smoking it ;)

Lapin
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Thank you Linnie! :angel: ;)

Bероника
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Very interesting articles.I love that girl so much!!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Thanks for posting them.

galadriel
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Thank you :D

dhenni
Jun 29th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Been exploring the net and found this article in ”Le Figaro” C. S. [29 juin 2002]

Mauresmo se découvre un pied jardinier

Amélie Mauresmo ne rencontrera pas Mary Pierce lundi en huitièmes de finale, cette dernière s'étant inclinée contre Laura Granville après avoir mené d'un set et d'un break. Mais la cadette des deux Françaises s'est qualifiée de façon magistrale aux dépens de Tatiana Myskina en jouant probablement le meilleur tennis qu'elle ait jamais produit sur gazon. Mauresmo était pourtant fort mal partie en début de rencontre. Menée 4-1 face à une adversaire qui a quand même joué les finales sur gazon de Birmingham et Eastbourne ces dernières semaines, la Française ressentit une douleur à la cuisse et fit appel au soigneur. Comme si l'effet était magique, elle livra ensuite un match incroyablement offensif. « C'est grâce à cela que je me suis lâchée », confirme-t-elle après avoir enchaîné les services volées et retour volées avec une aisance de spécialiste pour aboutir au score sans appel de 6-4, 6-2. « J'ai joué le jeu d'herbe à la perfection, je me suis éclatée », lâche la joueuse avec un sourire épanoui. « Cela prouve que je suis capable de prendre de la place au filet », continue-t-elle, enchantée d'arriver pour la première fois de sa carrière en deuxième semaine de Wimbledon.

Avec Arnaud Clément qui a vaincu hier en trois sets le Belge Olivier Rochus – deux Français sont en déjà en deuxième semaine à Wimbledon. Escudé pourrait les rejoindre dès aujourd'hui en battant Youzhny. Mais entre la déchirure abdominale de ce dernier, et les soucis à la cuisse d'Arnaud Clément et Amélie Mauresmo, ils devront tous trois être très attentifs à leur santé.

With the help from ”Systran”:

Mauresmo is discovered a garden foot ;)

Amélie Mauresmo will not meet Mary Pierce Monday in eighth of finale, the latter being inclined against Laura Granville after having carried out of a set and a station-wagon. But the junior by the two Frenchwomen qualified herself in a masterly way at the expense of Tatiana Myskina by probably playing best tennis than it ever produced on grass. Mauresmo was however extremely badly part at the beginning of meeting. Led 4-1 vis-a-vis to an adversary which nevertheless played the finales on grass of Birmingham and Eastbourne these last weeks, the Frenchwoman felt a pain with the thigh and called upon the welfare man. _ as if the effect be magic, it deliver then a match incredibly offensive "It be thanks to that that I me be release", confirm it after have connect the service flight and return flight with a ease of specialist to lead with score without call of 6-4, 6-2. "I have play the game of grass to perfection, I me be burst", release the player with a smile open out "That prove that I be able to take some place with net", continue it, magic to arrive for the first time of its career in second week of Wimbledon.

With Arnaud Clément who overcame yesterday in three sets the Belgian Olivier Rochus – two French are in already in second week in Wimbledon. Escudé could join them as of today by beating Youzhny. But between the abdominal tear of this last, and the concern with the thigh of Arnaud Clément and Amélie Mauresmo, they will have all three to be very attentive with their health.

dhenni
Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:03 AM
Another one from "The Independent":

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/story.jsp?story=310564

Mauresmo thriving in the calm after the storm

By Alex Hayes at Wimbledon - 30 June 2002

You could forgive Amelie Mauresmo if she did not have much time for the British press. The tabloids' initial depiction of the Frenchwoman as some sort of freak of nature was far from flattering. It was also far from accurate, as anyone who has met her will testify. But Mauresmo is not bitter. "I don't worry too much about these people," she says. "I just do my thing." At the moment, that is winning tennis matches in style and looking increasingly dangerous in the bottom half of the draw. On Friday, she swept aside Anastasia Myskina, the Russian girl who had entered the Championships on the back of two final appearances, at Edgbaston and Eastbourne respectively. Mauresmo's performances so far have been all the more impressive because she has looked a natural grass-court player, mixing serve-and-volley with powerful ground strokes. "I'm really happy with the way I've been playing this week," Mauresmo says. "The nicest thing for me is that I'm in good form and enjoying myself as well. It is difficult to explain, but I just feel right at the moment. It's great to try things in your game during practice and then see them come off during a match." The feeling is now that her potential quarter-final with Jennifer Capriati could be the match of the women's tournament. Before then, though, Mauresmo must overcome Laura Granville. That seemed a formality just a few days ago, but the American qualifier has since eliminated the 31st seed, Nicole Pratt, as well as Mauresmo's compatriot Mary Pierce. "I don't know Laura at all," Mauresmo admits, "but if she has got this far, and particularly beaten Mary, then she must not be underestimated. It will be one of those tricky matches where she has nothing to lose, but if I continue playing well, there is no reason why I cannot win." Mauresmo adds: "I really want to keep going forward and inject a bit more aggression into my game. It sounds crazy but I'm actually not thinking about my potential opponents at all. My only concern is to become a better, more complete player. That's my biggest motivation at the moment, and, to be honest, I'm finding it fun to push myself to the limit. I must be doing something right if I've got myself into the second week of Wimbledon for the first time." Mauresmo seems confident and happy – more so than at any time since she announced herself on the world stage so markedly Down Under three years ago. Those who have been following her progress since she defeated Lindsay Davenport, who was world No 1 at the time, in the semi-finals of the Australian Open in 1999, before going on to lose in the final against Martina Hingis, say that Mauresmo is more settled now. This owes much to the fact that she is no longer hounded by the media, nor openly criticised by her fellow players (Hingis once called her "half man", and Nathalie Tauziat complained that she and her partner, Sylvie Bourdon, staged too many public displays of affection). Meeting Mauresmo, she comes across as tall and athletic, but also pretty and charming. And she is young, too, a fact that is often overlooked whenever discussion centres on her professional or personal life. How many 22-year-olds have had their bodies, let alone their sexuality, questioned so very publicly? Mauresmo has dealt with everything that has been thrown at her without ever biting back. She has made a point of never discussing non-tennis matters, and all she will say about her private life is that she has found "a new serenity in my life" since her much-publicised relationship with Bourdon ended 18 months ago. Today, her only concern is her physique. Having picked up a slight thigh injury during her third-round match, Mauresmo received treatment yesterday and has been relaxing as much as possible. "It's funny because the injury actually concentrated my mind more against Myskina," she says. "Suddenly, I wasn't worrying about the surroundings or the importance of the event, but rather just trying to get through to the next round. I am trying not to put too much pressure on the leg, but I am sure it is not too serious. I will be fine." Her decision to take in a round of golf early this morning is testament to that. "I love the sport," she says. "It allows me to totally empty my head. I think of nothing when I am on the course." Come tomorrow, however, she will have to be fully focused on her tennis again. Martina Navratilova, the greatest grass-court player of all time, believes Mauresmo has "all the tools to play well at the net and win Wimbledon". The pressure, it would seem, is back on her young shoulders.

:)

galadriel
Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Thank you,Dhenni:D

Sonja
Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
Thanks Dhenni; I also posted it on Mauresmo.net. :D

Elisse
Jul 4th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Thanks for posting all the great articles everyone!! :wavey:

I don't usually bother much with the British Press, but due to the amazing win yesterday at Wimbledon - I made an exception and found three articles. :D (It's not often that the British Press have anything nice to say!)

Daily Express - Thursday July 4 2002

Mauresmo is good enough to break the Williams spell
Nigel Clarke reports

For the three years, since reaching the Australian Championship final, Amelie Mauresmo has promised far more than she has produced. Then yesterday on Centre Court, in the kind of theatre in which she thrives, the French girl at last gave a glorious reminder of her talent as she knocked Jennifer Capriati out of Wimbledon.
Mauresmo won 6-3, 6-2 in a match interrupted three times by rain delays. It all added to the drama Mauresmo loves, building the nervous tension until it erupted in a show of such extravagant shot-making that Capriati found herself out-hit in the best women's match so far.
Now Mauresmo, 23 tomorrow, faces Serena Williams in today's semi-final. Big sister Venus Williams takes on Justine Henin.
The French girl is one of an elite group of women equipted to end the domination of the sisters Williams. She can play from the back of the court and she can serve and volley. So far, on her journey towards the last four, she has unleashed 34 aces. But her most damaging weapon is a backhand of such power and accuracy that it is one of the great shots in Women's tennis.
All too often, though, she runs hot and cold...brilliant for a set, only to get beaten. But yesterday the hot tap was turned on, and it stayed at full power.
The transformation in her career has happened since she changed her lifestyle. After splitting with her lover, Sylvie Bourdon, who managed a St. Tropez bar, Mauresmo also took on a new coach.
It had been suggested when working with Alexia Dechaume that she had too many friends around her. She became less focused, lazy sometimes, and said: "I needed a kick up the backside."
The replacement, Loic Courteau, provided it, and Mauresmo responded. The result is that she is on the verge of the breakthrough which has always been within her reach.
Mauresmo, who has a tattoo of an angel on her left shoulder said: "What kind of angel? It is me. A copy of me, the person I really am."
But on a tennis court she has been transformed. "My head is screwed on straight now," she said. "I've had some bad experiences and I thought it was stupid to let my career go. I don't want to have regrets.
"The Williams sisters play like Jennifer, so I have a chance. I will be confident. I will walk on court knowing I can do it. My head has to be good, but perhaps I am more experienced now. I feel to volley is natural now. I feel comfortable doing it."
Capriati needed treatment for a strained neck and shoulder, calling on trainer Lisa Heller to administer what help she could. "I felt it when I started the second set," she said. "There was this nagging feeling really bothering me. I tried to warm it up but it was so cold out there. But it had nothing to do with my loss.
"I found it difficult to get into the match in the first set, and it didn't help to face an opponent who played the best she has in a long time."
"It was very disappointing, but you have got to give it to her - she was unbelievable. She can certainly stop the Williams girls if she plays like she did against me."
It didn't take long for Mauresmo to take control. She broke for 4-2 in the first set, again in the eighth game and Capriati, who likes to play quickly, never got into her stride.
She was on the back foot again in the second set as Mauresmo moved up a level that saw her win eight points in a row from a 3-1 lead.
There was no opportunity for Capriati to fight her way into the contest as Mauresmo blew her away. It was brutal, but such was the quality of play that it was also beautiful to watch.

Daily Mail - Thursday, July 4 2002

So, who is Amelie Mauresmo?

The daughter of a paint factory engineer in the town of Bornel, 30 miles north of Paris, Mauresmo was captivated by tennis at the age of three after watching Yannick Noah win the French Open on television. She began knocking a ball around with her older brother, Fabian, and was talent-spotted at eight by coach Patrick Simon, who hammered her into the formidable shape we see today.
"My physical shape gives me confidence," says Mauresmo. "I used to be afraid of the top women players but not anymore."
It was Noah, her inspiration all those years before, who selected her for the French Federation Cup team in 1998.

DON'T MENTION...
Martina Hingis. The Swiss girl let fly at the then teenage and unseeded Mauresmo after facing her in the 1999 Australian Open Final. The Swiss beat Mauresmo to win her third Australian title but lost the charm offensive. She said: "It's not, you know, that she is a man but she plays really like a man."
Lindsay Davenport - hardly a dainty maiden herself - had already set the bandwagon rolling when she said: "That wasn't a woman out there. I thought I was playing against a guy."

ALSO DON'T MENTION...
Ex-partner Sylvie Bourdon, who runs the notorious Le Gorille bar in St. Tropez. The outspoken former girlfriend supported Mauresmo through the storm of criticism about her muscular physique, and coming out as a lesbian.
Bourdon credited herself with giving Mauresmo the self-belief to get to the top. Clearly, Amelie can now stand on her own two feet and is in a new relationship.

BUT DO MENTION...
The angel tattoo on her arm. She loves it and styled it on herself.
It was the result of a bet made with her coach Sophie Collardey during their trip Down Under in 1999. She won the warm-up Sydney tournament, so they both decided to get tattoos.
Mauresmo says: "Since I am quite over-sensative, I was afraid of pain, but it just tickled me a bit. My tattoo is an angel with an olive branch in his hand. This is the symbol of peace. This drawing is very important to me.
"At the beginning, I wanted the tattoo on my shoulder blade, but I would not have been able to look at it. So, I decided to get it on my left shoulder."
"Many girls on the WTA Tour have a tattoo. I am far from being an exception."

Elisse
Jul 4th, 2002, 08:53 PM
The Daily Telegraph - Thursday, July 4, 2002

Mauresmo plays out tactics to perfection against Capriati
By William Johnson

Jennifer Capriati's dream of adding a Wimbledon title to the three other Grand Slams she has captured during the last two years was shattered last night by a combination of the weather, a shoulder injury and the unexpected brilliance of her opponent, Amelie Mauresmo.
Capriati has been one of the most badly affected by the rain which has spoiled the second week of The Championships. Her fourth-round match against Eleni Daniilidou became a two-day affair because of the delays to Monday's programme and the concluding set of that encounter turned into a nerve-jangling movable feast between Courts One and 18 on Tuesday evening.
All of that left her mentally in arrears of the stylish Mauresmo, who had two full days to prepare herself for the frustrations of yesterday's stop-start quarter-final. And it showed as she was comprehensively beaten 6-3, 6-2 by an inspired Frenchwoman who enthused about her best performance on grass.
The ninth-seeded Mauresmo, whose fragile temperament has frequently let her down in big matches, looked the more composed as the normally rugged American admitted to being out-thought as well as out-played when it mattered.
Capriati made a crucial and highly expensive error of judgement seconds before the first interruption of their 60-minute battle, which finished nearly six hours after it was due to begin.
Serving at 2-3 after 17 minutes of tight, entertaining tennis, Capriati double-faulted to give Mauresmo the first break points of the match as light drizzle fell into her face. Her next serve was also off target as the rain became heavier. She looked at the umpire indicating that play should be suspended but when no signal came, she completed another double fault to hand the initiative to her opponent.
"I probably should have stopped - and I could have stopped," she reflected about the defining moment of her ninth Wimbledon. Any hopes she possessed during two more brief interruptions of that opening set were dispelled as Mauresmo, serving and volleying more than ever, refused to buckle on her biggest day since reaching the 1999 Australian Open final.
Mauresmo's comfortable passage into the semi-final meeting with the second-seeded Serena Williams was assisted by the shoulder/neck trouble which affected Capriati from the start of the second set.
Capriati refused to put forward her two visits from the trainer as an excuse, instead graciously praising Mauresmo "playing the best tennis she has played in a long time". But the medical time-out surely helped her to reach the conclusion that "things were not going my way out there".
Mauresmo was overjoyed with her display which, if repeated this afternoon, could also wreck the younger Williams sister's plan to make Wimbledon the third leg of a career clean sweep of the four Grand Slams.
"I'll walk on the court knowing I can do it," she said ahead of her attempt to beat Serena for the first time in four meetings. "The Williams sisters are playing very similar to Jennifer, hitting hard from the baseline. Maybe they serve a bit harder but I know I have my chances and that's the most important thing."
Her prospects are enhanced by the dividends she has reaped here from occasionally employing the serve-and-volley tactic which is alien to the claycourt baseline game she was taught.
That policy which she initiated in her third-round win over Myskina surprised Capriati in the second set as Mauresmo successfully put away 17 of her 20 volleys to impose herself even more powerfully over her demoralised opponant.
"I'm not used to playing as aggressively as this," she remarked. "But a grass court is giving me the opportunity and I'm taking it. I have a big presence at the net, so I'll just keep doing it. And it works."
That imposing play also had an effect on the mood of Capriati and Mauresmo was aware of that as she observed: "It's tough to go on and off all the time, but it's the same for everybody. I had to handle it, so she had to also. Maybe in the past I would have got over-excited about it, not understanding what was happening. That wasn't the case today, so that's good."
Mauresmo puts her stronger character down to experience and greater maturity. "It was a case of growing up and learning from what I did wrong," she said. "Sometimes you lose and you don't know why. I now always try to find out why."
She referred to Roland Garros last year as a key stage of her blossoming career. She arrived there as the winner of the German Open and runner-up in the Italian Open and carried the weight of expectations of the French public, only to lose in the first round.
"That experience made me grow up and I hope it's going to last," added Mauresmo, 22, who is seeking - and yesterday found - a greater degree of consistancy to enable her to compete with the regular Grand Slam contenders. "From beginning to end today I didn't let anything go and that makes me very happy."

*Izzy*
Jul 5th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the articles Elisse, I love the "Do and Don't mention" one. Hehe...:D

It's a shame the British press only focus on tennis for 2 weeks of the year. And wow! Surprising that there were articles about Amelie, and good ones at that!:D

Linnie
Jul 5th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Thanks, Elisse! :wavey: :D

Lapin
Jul 6th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Thanks Elisse! :)

A little out of date now :o but here's another:

The Independent - 4th June 2002

Mauresmo augments power with mental edge
By Mike Rowbottom

Amélie Mauresmo carries a tattoo of an angel on her left shoulder, and after her single minded disposal of the third seed Jennifer Capriati here she was asked if it was an angel of any particular kind. "Yeah," she replied with a laugh. "Me."

Yesterday, in a rain-interrupted Centre Court quarter-final against an opponent who has beaten her at the same stage of the last two Grand Slam tournaments in Australia and the United States, the 22-year-old Frenchwoman was an avenging angel.

The theory about Mauresmo since her sudden emergence three years ago when she reached the Australian Open final is that she wobbles under pressure, or tends towards being - in Capriati's phrase - "like, streaky." Yesterday, despite the distraction of having to leave the court immediately after warming up, and twice during the course of play, it did not happen. Indeed it never looked like happening.

Mauresmo's mental frailty was painfully highlighted on home territory last year when she arrived as favourite for the French Open and departed, distraught, after the first round. But yesterday it was Capriati , whose own mental strength has enabled her to take three Grand Slam titles since an unprecedented comeback, who looked distracted and unsettled.

The 26-year-old from Florida was hampered by a shoulder strain which twice required treatment, although she refused to make it an excuse for her 6-3, 6-2 defeat. "I don't really think it had anything to do with my loss today," she said. "it didn't help to be playing an opponent today that was playing the best she's played in a long, long time. I mean, she played unbelievable."

When it was suggested to her that Mauresmo - seeded nine here - should already have won a Grand Slam title, Capriati replied: "It's very tough to win a Grand Slam. Talent and power, yeah - but you've got to have the whole package, mentally be there, physically just be consistent. She's got lots of time. I think she can only get better. So there's definitely a possibility."

It is a possibility that has begun to dawn on Mauresmo, particularly since her third round win against Anastasia Myskina, where she began to adapt her game to the grass surface by moving into the net and volleying aggressively.

"I knew I shouldn't let Jennifer play her game, do what she likes to do, which is dictating..... I'm not used to playing like this, being aggressive, going to the net as often. But I think the grass court is giving me this opportunity and I just take it. I have a big presence at the net, so I just keep doing it. It works."

Her poise on court was mirrored by her performance in the press room yesterday as she was asked how important the support of her partner Sylvie Bourdon, had been to her success. Translated, this meant: 'Amélie. Please talk about your life as a lesbian.' But Amélie, who came out very publicly in the wake of her one and - so far, only - Grand Slam final appearance, was ready for that one. "My partner? My ex-partner, you mean?" Yesterday, Mauresmo was firmly in control of everything that came at her. She was aided by fortune at one crucial point in the match, however. With Capriati serving 2-3 down in the first set, the weather - fitful all day - began to worsen again, and the American began to look increasingly discomfited as she went from 15-0 to 15-40. After another netted serve, she glanced meaningfully up at the rain that was beginning to drift down from the leaden sky above, and then at the umpire, but carried on with a second serve that was so long it looked like not more than an excuse to get out of the wet. "I probably should have stopped," Capriati said. "I could have stopped. That was the key time because that's when I got broken."

That misjudgement was compounded by increasing difficulty with a stiff shoulder, and the palpably growing confidence of her opponent, who closed out the set and then took a 5-1 lead in the second before Capriati saved a little pride with a service game that included three aces.

The obvious question now is, what happens when the Williams sisters come at her. Serena, sho is first in line, showed in her 6-3, 6-2 victory over Daniela Hantuchova, that serving power and fearsome groundstrokes are simply too destructive to be underminded by mere elegance. But the Frenchwoman may have an aggression, and a more developed all-court game, than the Slovakian, who by no means disgraced herself in yesterday's quarter-final.

Asked if she felt the new-look Mauresmo could stop one or both of the Williams sisters, Capriati replied: "Sure, I think so. She has a pretty good chance if she played like she did today."

Mauresmo clearly thinks so. Interesting.

galadriel
Jul 7th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Thank you ,Lapin and Elisse:D

Sonja
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:35 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/p2ff514ffd480d437715567dc2c09f89d/fd8ebeed.jpg

Maurice
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Sonja, thank you for the great pic!!!:bounce:

Lapin
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Thanks Sonja :)

mettabear
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:18 AM
..yeh isn't she cute
this picture was on my desk all through the World Cup

yum yum
metta

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all this stuff. :)

Allez Amelie :angel: !!

dhenni
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Lovely pic! :hearts: Thanks! :D

Happy football=>:bounce: ;)

Sonja
Jul 17th, 2002, 01:37 PM
I missed this one but thought it was worthy - lmao at the twittering chipmunks :D :D :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mauresmo puts it all together
Bruce Jenkins, Chronicle Staff Writer Thursday, July 4, 2002
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/07/04/SP39679.DTL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wimbledon, England -- A GREAT athlete came of age Wednesday in the best possible setting, the Centre Court of Wimbledon. She did so at the expense of Jennifer Capriati, the latest American to trudge home. And as Amelie Mauresmo's story became the world's, a really cheap story hit the skids.

It was a fine day for levelheaded thinking.

Gathering her nerves and her talent into a rarely seen package, Mauresmo crafted a balletic 6-3, 6-2 victory over Capriati in a quarterfinal match delayed three times by rain. Though most everyone had been looking forward to a Capriati-Serena Williams semifinal today, Mauresmo has taken that slot instead.

As for the consequences down the road, who can say? Capriati is widely considered the only real threat to the Williams sisters, and with Venus about to play a woman she has dominated, Justine Henin, an all-Williams final seems unavoidable.

That perennial puzzler can wait. What happened Wednesday was the return of the beautiful game. That phrase is customarily applied to soccer, but in the hands of Mauresmo, it makes a very smooth transition.

As an up-and-coming French player in the spring of 1998, Mauresmo burst onto the scene by beating Lindsay Davenport on clay, her favorite surface, at the German Open. Yannick Noah, then captain of the French Fed Cup team, thought so much of Mauresmo that he bravely chose her ahead of Nathalie Tauziat, fresh off an appearance in the Wimbledon finals, for the team's match against Switzerland.

That was the year Mauresmo openly revealed her homosexuality, with her girlfriend quite prominently attending all her matches, and the spotlight has been burning ever since. She looked to be the game's next great player when she reached the finals of the '99 Australian Open, again beating Davenport along the way. She was young, proud of her lifestyle and sensationally athletic, ripping her groundstrokes in a gorgeous, flowing manner that suggested Evonne Goolagong, Gabriela Sabatini or the stars of past eras when one-armed, aggressive tennis was a matter of course.

From a distance, and on television, the broad-shouldered Mauresmo looks downright husky. A comparison to Martina Navratilova should be drawn, because in her prime, Martina also was considered to be alarmingly bigger and stronger than her fellow players. Up close, Navratilova was (and is) surprisingly trim, almost petite. And so it is with Mauresmo, who has a formidable build but generally resembles the prototypical Olympic swimmer.

None of this has stopped the twittering chipmunks. It might be a player, or a tour official, or a journalist, but people have talked for years behind Mauresmo's back. The twittering chipmunks figure she must be "on" something, like steroids or muscle-building supplements. As the steroids-in-sports era reaches the peak of paranoia, you can't just be an unusually powerful athlete these days. You've got to be cheating.

Sure enough, after former Stanford star Laura Granville lost to Mauresmo in the fourth round here, she said, "I've heard those rumors, too. It's obvious she has worked very hard. I'm not sure you have to get that strong."

The general reaction was that Granville had to be kidding. Take a closer look, Laura -- you just lost to a superior athlete, someone whose talent and grace you will never match. And in fact, Granville might have been making casual conversation without really leaning toward accusation.

Nevertheless, her comments were linked with those from a Women's Tennis Association official, stating that tour players will be tested for steroids and supplements more often in the future, and a few American newspapers brought suspicion into Mauresmo's world once again.

(How bad did it get? One Midwestern columnist wrote, "Laura Granville, you would take to your prom. Amelie Mauresmo, you would take in the NFL Draft or hire as a bouncer.")

On Centre Court Wednesday, Mauresmo had quite enough to handle. Capriati is one of the tour's great fighters, and Mauresmo has carried the reputation of a choker. She hasn't come close to repeating that '99 Australian Open performance in a Grand Slam, and as Davenport once said, "We haven't had a girl with this much talent and flair, maybe ever. She's just so up and down."

At last year's French Open, Patrick McEnroe was talking to his brother, John, on the USA Network's initial telecast when he boldly picked Mauresmo to win the tournament. "Uh, Patrick," John said, "she just went out in the first round."

Mauresmo seemed paralyzed by that loss, to Germany's Jana Kandarr, and didn't play anywhere until Wimbledon. Even at this year's French, she lost to a decidedly inferior player, Argentina's Paola Suarez, in the fourth round. "My mental (approach), I think, has not been good," she said with a smile Wednesday, knowing it was a titanic understatement.

She couldn't point to any incident, advice or life-changing turnaround, just "experience and maturity," but it was a new Mauresmo out there against Capriati, never wilting and playing more serve-and-volley tennis than she could remember. "I think I'm just growing up, learning from mistakes," said Mauresmo, who turns 23 on Friday. "I hope it is going to last."

Capriati wasn't too happy about anything: the three-hour rain delay to start the match, the two subsequent showers that interrupted play, a pain in her neck (literally; she asked for the trainer's assistance) or a couple of chair-umpire overrules in Mauresmo's favor. Basically, though, she just got outplayed. "None of it had anything to do with the match," she said. "That was the best Amelie has played in a long, long time. She never really gave me a chance."

Mauresmo speaks English well enough to converse, but she reveals little. As she smiled her way through the press conference, there was some tension in the air. The twittering chipmunks had to be out there someplace. "Great win," they'd say, "but what about this steroid thing?"

Incredibly, at this gossip-tortured venue, it didn't happen. The story was too weak to have life, and a marvelous flight had no turbulence

Linnie
Jul 17th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Great article....thanks, Sojo!
LOL @ the "twittering chipmunks" too! :D

Lapin
Jul 18th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Yes thanks Sonja, nice article :)

dhenni
Jul 19th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Great article. Thank you, Sonja! :)

galadriel
Jul 19th, 2002, 01:17 PM