PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay's Amelia Island Kingdom.

Andrew..
Mar 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM
She was Queen for a Day last year. Maybe she'll get another parade this year.

If she shows up, allez! Win!

Andrew..
Mar 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Oh, and if anyone could find the picture of Lindsay on the float, I'd be very happy. Thanks.

GrandSlam05
Mar 26th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Is Venus playing this year? :lol:

Kimmi
Mar 26th, 2006, 07:12 PM
All I got is:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/Kimmi_B/AmeliaIslandParade2005.jpg

I still don't know if I like her playing this....it reminds me of Wimbledon and Stanford last year.

If she does play then go for it girl! :yeah: Woo Lindsay!

Andrew..
Mar 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Is Venus playing this year? :lol:
No. Vee still has Bahamaitis.

lindsayno1
Mar 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM
LOL! That match last year against queen Vee was GREAT! Who did she play in the final again?! Wasnt it someone that shouldnt have been there realistically

Andrew..
Mar 26th, 2006, 10:44 PM
She beat Farina Elia, and nearly lost. :o

The match against Venus was classic. In the second set, when Lindsay kept the ball in, she won. Queen Vee was so horrible.

mike/topgun
Mar 26th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I remember very well the 1/4 against Venus...Some shots were amazing from both sides and then I realized that Linds could have a chance in Paris with those 'keep it in' tactics:p Great strategy from Davenport and as usualy too many UFE from Williams. The semi was like 2 and 1...Nadia is a very good player though;) Final was also live and I was so scared she could lose cos Silvia played great match chasing every ball down and forcing errors with a change of pace, spins and length etc plus then I remembered that she's beaten Linds in Eastbourne once. But then we saw a positive and focused Linds with alot of winners and not too much errors, fighting for the big points. And most importantly her serve was there...
Now, it's becoming more and more frustrating - at least for me, but imagine just how darm frustrating this is for Lindsay, with the biggest start of the year for her is closer than in 3 months time, whilst she's not even able to play anywhere near her best.
Positive attitude has always been her strength.

lindsayno1
Mar 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM
it went to 3 sets yes?

mike/topgun
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:27 AM
No, it was in straight sets, but very close like 7-5 7-6 don't remember the exact score, but it was very close and a lot of long rallies, so it lasted like 2 hours almost.. At the end Linds finished those big points with some aces, winners and finaly found her way to the victory. It was quite similiar to Dubai'05 final (Vs Jankovic) where Linds played much worse actually then still got it done right.

Kimmi
Mar 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
No. Vee still has Bahamaitis.

:lol:

LethalLindsay
Mar 27th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Actually the scoreling in AI last year against Vee was 1-6 6-3 6-4

tennisboi
Mar 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I love that 1/4 final match and I watch it from time to time on video. In the first set Venus looked great and was playing some stuff and Lindsay seemed to be out of form but in the second at *3-4 up on Williams serve Lindsay broke after an awful game from Venus. In the 3 set Lindsay broke at 2 all and that both held serve from then on but still with Lindsay serving for it Venus has 15-40 but Lindsay came up with some great serves to close it out and her mum looked so happy:)

In the final Silvia drop shoted Lindsay a lot and made her very unhappy and she even served for the 2nd at 5-4 but Lindsay kept her head to win 7-5 7-5!!

GrandSlam05
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Farina Elia really should've won that second set like 6-1 or something she broke Lindsay several times as Lindsay started that second set HORRIBLY, but Farina Elia would break and then lose a service game from 40-0 up. :lol:
I thought she going to take it when she was up 5-4 in the second, but then Linds went on a roll and won three str8 games to close it out. I still remember the nice forehand winner and fistpump on match point. :worship:

Andrew..
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Actually the scoreling in AI last year against Vee was 1-6 6-3 6-4
We were talking about the final. ;)

And it was 7-5 7-5.

RJWCapriati
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm hoping she can get another week of play before she takes a break, she always plays very well at the beatiful Amelia Island :)

LindsayRulez
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I remember the QF against Venus very well because I was there watching live. The first set Venus played out of her mind, the second set Lindsay just kept it in and in the 3rd set Lindsay was more agressive. The final was fun too, Silvia played really well. Since I'm going for the semis this year, I really hope Lindsay is there. If not, I probably won't go :(

The Daviator
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Sorry guys (this is probably not a shock) but Lindsay is out of AI :sad:

Vacant
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Where did you hear that? :(

!<blocparty>!
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Davenport Withdraws from AI.

Sorry Kyle. :sad::hug:

The Daviator
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Where did you hear that? :(

The official website...

tennisboi
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Oh Fu*k it:fiery: I knew in my heart it would happen but still i'm pissed off:sad:

LDF
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Damn - not a shock, but still :sad:

Kimmi
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:29 PM
*Sigh*

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/Kimmi_B/LindsaywinsAmeliaIsland2005.jpg

GrandSlam05
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM
No! :sad: I can't believe it! And with this weak field she could've cleaned house. Curse that damn back of hers. :fiery: Now we won't get to see her until RG.

mike/topgun
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Ok. so, she's out like for about next 2 months - that is until Paris, if she decides to go of course. I could not imagine how hard it'd be to play a GS with virtualy zero match practice. Well, she's obviously suffering from the bulgin' L4 disc and it's not looking good going into Wimbledon, along with that kind of problem. I would love to be wrong, although it really does seem, that after such a great 2004-2005, it's an off season for Lindsay, unfortunately mainly due to injuries. It's sad. But, hey Linds isn't the only one who's struggling to get back(thank God). I mean, if the Belgians and the WSis' continue to have trouble with their physique, then Davenport still remains the main contender, even if not fully recoverd, or prepared to play on the Top of her game.
I am curious what are your opinions fellow Tops? :wavey:

Kimmi
Mar 29th, 2006, 08:09 PM
If she recovers from the back problem and gets several matches before Wimbledon then I think she has a top shot.

If she isn't fully recovered or has little match practice beforehand then I think it will be the quarters at best.

Fully fit, she has a great shot at SW19 this year. I think she will want to prove something after last year :sad:

lindsayno1
Mar 29th, 2006, 09:06 PM
she needs some match practise if she has any chance at wimbledon. her ranking will be lower so will have a pretty icky draw. Sharapova always plays well here too...

The Daviator
Mar 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM
There's zero chance she'll go to Strasbourg, eh? I'm still really pissed about that loss to Schaul in '04 :fiery:

Andrew..
Mar 29th, 2006, 09:54 PM
she needs some match practise if she has any chance at wimbledon. her ranking will be lower so will have a pretty icky draw. Sharapova always plays well here too...
At Wimbledon, she could play Maria, Justine, Kim, or Amelie in the QF. That's really, really difficult to do...

Lindsay's ranking is going to start to really slide soon.

tennisboi
Mar 29th, 2006, 10:54 PM
There's zero chance she'll go to Strasbourg, eh? I'm still really pissed about that loss to Schaul in '04 :fiery:

Yep this loss got to me too. Lindsay better play Charleston cause her ranking is going down more every week and if she is fit it wouldn't be a bad idea to play Strasbourg either. It would really help her cause if she was the 4th seed or better for Wimbledon and with nothing to defend from the clay courts last year it would help the rankings if she played 1 or 2 tournaments but I highly doubt if she will

mike/topgun
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:01 PM
However it's not a surpise but yes, nearly 300p down after AI/FCC, that means dropping behind Pierce, Petrova... She's going to meet 1 of the top4 in the QF, and may be even Venus or whoever in the last 16:tape:.No, I'm rally trying to find something positive about Lindsays game in 2006, but I can't. One doesn't win a slam like that, right after returning from an injury-break. Seriously, I do believe she's able, but her body's not cooperating. You know that last years final will not repeat - it was something special and Linds was a part of it. I won't mind if Sharapova wins it again this year., while I don't want JHH or Kim or Momo to grab it...This back problem seems to be, as serious, as I previously thought. I am sure, that now Lnds does know whats best for her, and she'll do everything she can, to give her best in Wimby.There are still 12 weeks to go;) REHAB all the way...

Andrew..
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:10 PM
However it's not a surpise but yes, nearly 300p down after AI/FCC, that means dropping behind Pierce, Petrova... She's going to meet 1 of the top4 in the QF, and may be even Venus or whoever in the last 16:tape:.No, I'm rally trying to find something positive about Lindsays game in 2006, but I can't. One doesn't win a slam like that, right after returning from an injury-break. Seriously, I do believe she's able, but her body's not cooperating. You know that last years final will not repeat - it was something special and Linds was a part of it. I won't mind if Sharapova wins it again this year., while I don't want JHH or Kim or Momo to grab it...This back problem seems to be, as serious, as I previously thought. I am sure, that now Lnds does know whats best for her, and she'll do everything she can, to give her best in Wimby.There are still 12 weeks to go;) REHAB all the way...
Nadya made the SF at AI and QF at Charleston last year. It will be hard for her to pass Lindsay. Pierce is dead once the RG points fall off. Lindsay should be seeded 5 at Wimbly, not that it matters. 5-8 is the same thing.

The Daviator
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Guys, the seeding means sweet fa, she was the top seed last year, and she was landed with Clijsters, Sveta, Mauresmo & Venus back-to-back, wouldn't it be ironic if she got a kinder draw this year as the 5th/6th seed?

Anyway, whether she's 1 or 5, it really doesn't matter, being seeded first didn't help her out, so the seeding is pretty irrelevant, it actually may be a good thing, if she's in 5-8 along with Venus, then she won't have to play her until the semis at the earliest...

Venus is the one we have to avoid, 4 losses to her in the last 6 years :tape:

Ty-Ty
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Guys, the seeding means sweet fa, she was the top seed last year, and she was landed with Clijsters, Sveta, Mauresmo & Venus back-to-back, wouldn't it be ironic if she got a kinder draw this year as the 5th/6th seed?

Anyway, whether she's 1 or 5, it really doesn't matter, being seeded first didn't help her out, so the seeding is pretty irrelevant, it actually may be a good thing, if she's in 5-8 along with Venus, then she won't have to play her until the semis at the earliest...

Venus is the one we have to avoid, 4 losses to her in the last 6 years :tape:

If Lindsay played Venus now, Lindsay would most likely romp her, even on clay. I would kill to get Venus instead of say Sharapova, or Henin-Hardene

But don't worry, there's no lack of players Lindsay wants to avoid right now. :o

dav abu
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Lindsay withdrawing from A.I is fierce disappointing. I suppose once she takes her time getting back on court and doesn't hurt herself anymore-we love you and miss you Lindsay, Get well soon :hug:

The Daviator
Mar 30th, 2006, 01:50 AM
If Lindsay played Venus now, Lindsay would most likely romp her, even on clay. I would kill to get Venus instead of say Sharapova, or Henin-Hardene

But don't worry, there's no lack of players Lindsay wants to avoid right now. :o

Didn't everyone say that about Venus last year though?

mike/topgun
Mar 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Until Wimbledon there will be like, lets say 3 players with an underestimated rank: Hingis, Vee and Rena. In 2005 it was only Kim -who we got in 1/8- and Venus - we were quite lucky to face her as late in the draw, as we could, that is in the final, coz she's obviously a better player on grass than Sveta, Momo or Kim. It doesn't matter what number Davenports seeding is going to be - one time n#5 gets n#1 in the QF another time gets n#4,3 or 2 instead. I'd say Masha is the one Linds will must try to avoid - after what I saw yesterday (Sharapova, probably will win Miami, with the form she's got atm). So it's not all about ranks, it's more about Lindsays fitness and the disposition of rivals in her draw. It's tough to build your whole year around 1 particular event and with a tricky draw I'm afraid it may end too soon for Linds.

GrandSlam05
Mar 30th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Venus pisses me off so much. She stinks up the place at RG, then a couple weeks later she plays her best tennis looking so energetic after the 3 hr final. Then at the USO she runs out of gas 1/2 way thru the Clijsters match. Shit luck for Lindsay when it comes to DaQueen.
But at least last year Vee played Miami, AI, Instanbul, Charleston, Instanbul. This year she's adopting the Ree schedule.

Elldee
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I think Lindsay might play a warm up for the French, and will definately show up in Paris and be ready for Wimbledon like last year. Lindsay's back was obviously worse than she thought and hopefully she'll be back in about 6 weeks and better.

alfonsojose
Mar 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Has she ever played in ROme? It's the fastest red clay court and onw week before RG. It could be a good warm-up :yeah:

mike/topgun
Mar 30th, 2006, 04:43 PM
The last time she's played in Rome was 2000 and she was forced to wo in last 16, coz of thigh strain or watever. It's the best preparation for Paris becouse it's really fast not like Berlin or Warsaw...Actually it's quite similiar to american green clay, so it should suit her well. Very doubtful to happen though, I'd like to se her there, or as soon as possible.

The Daviator
Mar 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Rome would be great, but she doesn't like Europe that much as it is, it would be great to see her at a 'new' event for a change, seeing as she's not been there since 2000...

I definitely think she'll play RG, although the ususal 4R exit is what we should probably look forward too :o

tennisboi
Mar 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I definitely think she'll play RG, although the ususal 4R exit is what we should probably look forward too :o

tennisboi agrees :wavey:

alfonsojose
Mar 30th, 2006, 07:24 PM
The last time she's played in Rome was 2000 and she was forced to wo in last 16, coz of thigh strain or watever. It's the best preparation for Paris becouse it's really fast not like Berlin or Warsaw...Actually it's quite similiar to american green clay, so it should suit her well. Very doubtful to happen though, I'd like to se her there, or as soon as possible.
She beat LenaD in Rome then in straights :yeah: :tape:

mike/topgun
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I've just rewatched Lindsay VS Momo semi from OzOpen '99 and guess what - Amelie's lost her forehand somewhere throughout those years...I mean back then against Linds she was playing better quality tennis than now, while she's the n#1. :tape: Also I've noticed that when I was watching it in 1999 I actually realy liked the tennis of Mauresmo, but then when she begun to play more defensive game (and the injuries crept in)I turned away from her. Meanwhile shes just lost to Kuznetsova in str8 sets in Miami, playing very defensive, but Sveta played really cosmic tennis (must admit) close to what she did in USO 2004 final...
Ok, I know it's tough, but it's high time to ask - where the hell is Lindsays serve? And what about FH drive which was a such a great weapon - she was dictating the points thanks to that particular shot. Only BH remained the same for Linds...:sad: even volleys -probably due to lack of doubles match practice - are weaker now. I came to the point, where I realized, that Linds have never regained her top level of play and confidence after USO 2000 loss to Venus. Yeah she did something in 2001, but since the serious injuries crept in she's not the same player, she's not even half -"nimble" anymore. Davenport lacks of confidence, fitness and even the characteristic power. She was a dynamic, offensive player, that's why generaly she did own Martina from '98 to 2001. I'm afraid we'll never see that Lindsay again, or the Lindsay from last years Wimbledon - where she fought her heart out and...did hurt her body one more time - it just seems to be too much.

The Daviator
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I've just rewatched Lindsay VS Momo semi from OzOpen '99 and guess what - Amelie's lost her forehand somewhere throughout those years...I mean back then against Linds she was playing better quality tennis than now, while she's the n#1. :tape: Also I've noticed that when I was watching it in 1999 I actually realy liked the tennis of Mauresmo, but then when she begun to play more defensive game (and the injuries crept in)I turned away from her. Meanwhile shes just lost to Kuznetsova in str8 sets in Miami, playing very defensive, but Sveta played really cosmic tennis (must admit) close to what she did in USO 2004 final...
Ok, I know it's tough, but it's high time to ask - where the hell is Lindsays serve? And what about FH drive which was a such a great weapon - she was dictating the points thanks to that particular shot. Only BH remained the same for Linds...:sad: even volleys -probably due to lack of doubles match practice - are weaker now. I came to the point, where I realized, that Linds have never regained her top level of play and confidence after USO 2000 loss to Venus. Yeah she did something in 2001, but since the serious injuries crept in she's not the same player, she's not even half -"nimble" anymore. Davenport lacks of confidence, fitness and even the characteristic power. She was a dynamic, offensive player, that's why generaly she did own Martina from '98 to 2001. I'm afraid we'll never see that Lindsay again, or the Lindsay from last years Wimbledon - where she fought her heart out and...did hurt her body one more time - it just seems to be too much.

The Lindsay of the summer '04 was pretty impressive to me :shrug: I believe she dropped her serve just twice in her first 5 matches at the US Open that year, until the injury :rolleyes:

The weak serve can be explained by the back problem, I hope we see a rejuvenated, fresh and determined Lindsay at Wimbledon, fingers crossed...

Andrew..
Mar 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Lindsay's form in the summer of 2004 was the best form of Lindsay's career. Ever.

Not winning the USO that year was IMO a major issue for Lindsay, much more than she leads on. I think she knew that was her top form, and it would be very difficult to ever achieve again.

Elldee
Mar 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM
MikeTG, you're being very overdramatic. I'm sure she'll play well at Wimbledon.

Ty-Ty
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:49 AM

Yes, and for about 90% of year, it was true.

This is also different. Since Wimbledon, Venus has completed Fed Cup and 3 tournaments.

Golindz
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:38 AM
Good Luck at AI, Lindz.

mike/topgun
Mar 31st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Well, I admit it sounded realy overdramatic:p But,also I can agree, that Linds played some of her greatest ever tennis in summer of 2004, becouse the field was weaker then and neither Serena nor Venus played well at the time, Belgians were out and only Russians could do harm to Linds. And it was only 2 months - that was until semifinal loss to injury-Sveta.It certainly gave her the boost of confidence (she needed) that when she's healthy she is able to win slams. And my overdramatizing was due to the fact we won't see Linds from 98-2001 again coz she's not half quick and dynamic she was back then. Correct me if I'm being wrong.

Elldee
Mar 31st, 2006, 09:32 AM
She's fitter and faster now and I think she shows more grit.

mike/topgun
Mar 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM
How could she be fitter and faster now when she's near 30, than when she was 22?Explain it to me if you're so kind of course Grand Slam. I can't see how she could be fitter now when since last years Wimbledon she's been struggling with her back and it's not something that can be healed permanently. She showed more grit in 2005 indeed - f.e. fighing off Clijsters in RG and Wimby. She's still not so confident when she faces certain top players, especially when she's not 100% fit.

lindsayno1
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:13 PM
How could she be fitter and faster now when she's near 30, than when she was 22?Explain it to me if you're so kind.

Because shes a lot thinner than she was back then, more toned and more athletic.

tennisboi
Apr 1st, 2006, 01:56 AM
Lindsay is a lot thiner and her over all fitness is better than when she was winning slams back in the day but she isn't as fit as she was in 04 or 05 as she is this year

mike/topgun
Apr 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Yes she's thinner(wearing more close2body clothes too):) but she's less dynamic as well, so she's less "nimble" and generally her moving reflex is...it's the case of age somehow. Well f.e. she's not as quick on coming in to the net anymore etc. Lindsays fitness was of course better in 2004 and 2005 than it was in 2002, 2003 and...as for now in 2006. IMHO, when she's fit and eager then every ball she hits has "purpose" - it's f.e. a wide bh cross or a deep dtl fh or another shot that gives her advantage in rallies. Nowadays, even if she's in a good position to hit the ball deep, she often steps back giving back the advantage. :tape: It's my own reflection so do not categorize it. :wavey: