Mar 27th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Yessssssssssssssssssssssss Tati

rik du chesnay
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:31 PM
6/2 great tati

JS
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM
6-2 very good set Tati :bounce:
But now you know you have to stay focused! Remember the both match of march last year, you don't want that again (and us neither :p)

Harju.
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:35 PM
OMG. 6-2 from Tati :o. Come on. Dont choke.

rik du chesnay
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:37 PM
allez tati

FrenchY52
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Come on tati

rik du chesnay
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
1/1 great tati

Harju.
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Tati is playing solid match. She has 9/13 net approaches :worship: Didn't know she has that in her ;)

Come on. Break her :fiery:

FrenchY52
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Tati Broke
2-1
Keep your serve

rik du chesnay
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM
2/1 great tati

rik du chesnay
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM
3/1 great tati

FrenchY52
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah That's cool

JS
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:50 PM
6-2 3-1
It's looking quite good!
It's definetely not over now, but I wasn't expecting that! Keep going girl!
(And I really hope she's not planning the same scenario as against Dulko lol)

FrenchY52
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Don't remind us JS

FrenchY52
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Yesss Tati

rik du chesnay
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM
4/1 great tati

Harju.
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
No time ot choke Tati :smash:. Hold now.

JS
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Don't remind us JS
6-2 *4-1 40-0
She just can't :p
She is finally ready for a big win!
Go Tatiana!!

rik du chesnay
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:59 PM
5/1 great tati

FrenchY52
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Yesss Tati ONE GAME BAB ONE GAME

FrenchY52
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
0-15*

JS
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:01 PM
3 match points !!!!!

FrenchY52
Yesssssssssssssss Iam So Happy Tati I Knew U Could Do It I Love U So Muchhhhh

Harju.
Tati won :eek: :woohoo: :yeah:

rik du chesnay
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Yes Tati!!!congrats Tati!!!! I Love You!!!!!!!!!

JS
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM
She did it!!!!
She won!!!!
:woohoo:
OMG what a win Tati !!!!
And the scoreline makes it look so impressive!!! :bounce:
And no jinx, but looking at the 2 possible player for the quarter, a semi is really possible here!!
Anyway, Congrats Tati! :yeah:

Harju.
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM
OMG. And next up is Jill or Jie. If she doesn't reach SF, it's :help:.

Harju.
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
OMG OMG. Tati is on QF of Tier I.

Her stat is not that bad either. 10 winners, 12 UEs and net approach 10/15 :worship:.

Craigy
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I nearly fucking died when I heard she won! :eek: Will eurosport show any of the match tomorrow?

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM
:hearts: @ Tati Golovinating opponents this week!! :banana:

Tania if you don't reach semis now, I'll go to Miami to kill u :p

Mailin
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
TANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIA :D :D :D :D

Well done honey :yeah:

willrock
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Tati rocks!
I'm so fucking glad. :banana:
Let's enjoy the moment :D
Then the SF is the next (very reachable) goal! :bounce:

Belmont Lad
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Woot!!!! So happy for Tati, I'm sensing a run to the semis!!! :hearts:

Harju.
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Jie just won her match. She's her next opponent.

Jie didn't win a single match coming to the tournament. If she doesn't win this one, I'm going to :smash: her :p.

selyoink
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I can't believe Tati won so easily. I'm so happy. If she doesn't make the semis I'll be pissed. What a tournament so far. Keep it up!

UDACHi
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I can't believe Tatiana pulled this off. Since when does she not choke?! :D Well, for killing my favoritest, she better get to the semis.

Slightly humiliated to be a Dementieva fan. :o :tape: Tati, don't make me humiliated of you against Zheng. :lol:

tennisrulz8
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Oh my goodness. This is great news. I really did not expect that at all.

martirogi
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:55 AM
it was a long rally in the first set and twice demen tried to dropshot tati. on the second one la tania hit a winner. i thought "tati is counterpunching her ass off". thats how you can describe the match. she played really great. she tracked down every shot from elena and hit them back right at the lines. clearly demen was not playing at her best, but she certainly wasnt at her worst. her groundies weren't as dominating as usual, but they're werent flying out all the time either. golovin was just always there and had very few ues. the first few games were pretty standard start of the match games. then tati started to play well. in one game five or six of tati's shots hit the baseline and that frustrated elena. she kept complaining to mommy vera. tati was very calm the whole time. she did get a little nervous at 4-1 in the second, but she held it together. the last game and a half demen donated. i think she ended with six ues in a row, so tati didnt get a chance to choke. just amazing stuff from tania. really clean, solid tennis. and she had she very good first serves as well.

martirogi
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:58 AM
in the first game tati came to net on purpose and i thought "what the hell are you doing. you don't know how to play at the net." but she won the point :lol:

i saw the end of jie's match and she seemed to be playing well. but if tati plays like today it will be two easy sets.

selyoink
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Glad to hear that Tati played great and it wasn't just Lena having a meltdown. Tati sure better take care of Zheng. I can't wait for Wednesday. Tati and Nastya both playing to get to the semis. I would to see them play eachother for a place in the final.

Thanks once again.

Lulu.
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Iam so happy for Tati! She needed this big win and she finally got it. This should do wonders for her confidence and hopefully she keeps it up and makes it to the Semis!

:bowdown:

Solitaire
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Well done Tati!!! :bigclap: Only losing 3 games :eek: :worship: I'm pleasently surprised

Harju.
Mar 28th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the report. Tati needs to play a clean match tomorrow against Jie. Too bad you won't be able to see the match tomorrow. All the luck Tati. I hope she doesn't feel the pressure. You know how she always fairs with lower ranked players :o.

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Mauresmo will also have home nation company at the quarterfinal stage, after No.22-seeded teen star Tatiana Golovin routed No.6 seed Elena Dementieva in just over an hour, 62 61, for her 100th career singles match victory. Golovin had lost to Dementieva in the same round here last year, so Monday's victory was a bit of friendly revenge for the 18-year-old Miami resident.

"I knew my game plan, I really stuck to it, I think that's really what made the difference," Golovin noted. "We're actually pretty good friends, so we know each other pretty well. I knew how she was gonna play. I knew that I had to be really tough out there. Playing at home really helps. And I've been playing pretty well the last couple weeks. I'm feeling confident."

:worship:

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:53 AM
T. GOLOVIN/E. Dementieva
6‑2, 6‑1An interview with:

TATIANA GOLOVIN

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Congratulations, that's a very good win.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Thank you (smiling).

Q. Talk about this tournament. I mean, you got revenge out there. She beat you here last year in the same round.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: She did. She beat me also at Indian Wells last year, so it's our fourth time playing against each other. We're actually pretty good friends, so we know each other pretty well.

I knew how she was gonna play. I knew that I had to be really tough out there. I think just playing at home really helps. And, you know, I've been playing pretty well the last couple weeks. I'm feeling confident.

Q. Where did move to, you live in Miami?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, last year, after Wimbledon.

Q. Key Biscayne and Miami?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Brickell Key. I'm a local now.

Q. Have you practiced on these courts a lot?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: All winter, yeah.

Q. Talk about, obviously, we know about her shaky serve and you seem to really dominate her second serve. Was that a game plan? Attack her second serve?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I think her serve has gotten a lot better since previous years. I think it still bothers a lot of players. I think I did put a lot of pressure on her, she started to double‑fault. I think she played really well last night.

I think I was just really solid out there. I knew my game plan, I really stuck to it, I think that's really what made the difference. There were a few points that were really important that I played, that I got through. I think that really kind of got her down afterwards.

Q. You're saying that isn't your game plan, to attack her second serve?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: It was, but it's tough because it's a slice serve to the forehand. It's a lot tougher than it looks. You know, the slower it goes, the harder it is.

So, yeah, I was just really trying to ‑‑ I kind of knew she goes down the line when she wants to hit a winner, and crosscourt when she's at the baseline. I kind of knew where she was gonna go. Like I said, I was moving well and played the important points right. That's kind of what made the difference.

Q. Did she go for any big first serves?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: She did, she hit an ace.

No, but you can kind of see with her toss where she's going to serve. But it's always tricky. You know, I mean, no wonder she's top 10. It's because even with that serve, it really does bother a lot of players.

Q. You work with Roddick's old coach, Tarik?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah.

Q. When did that happen?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Last year. All winter. That's why I practiced here.

Q. Is he with you at this tournament?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: He's ‑‑ we're kind of on and off.

Q. You don't like him to be on the court with you?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah. I mean, he's just working with Karlovic as well, so he's pretty busy.

Q. He is your coach, though?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: On and off.

Q. And what is it now?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Off (laughing).

Q. Talk about your next opponent, Zheng.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I just practiced with her actually like couple years ago. Chinese player, right? She's gonna be tough. If she's in the quarters, she must have played well. You know, we have a day off tomorrow because we played three days in a row. So I'm just going to take it easy tomorrow and then go out there and be a fighter on Wednesday.

Q. Are you tired of facing all these Russians?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: No (laughing). Should I be?

Q. Is it nice to beat some of them?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: It's always nice to beat top players, you know, more than anything else. But, you know, when you have good matches, it just makes you feel better and it really shows that the work you put in all winter kind of pays off. That's what's happening right now.

Q. With a lot of big seeds gone, you still have Mauresmo and Sharapova. Do you feel that you could like be in the finals of this tournament?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I don't know. I'm just happy to be in the quarters. It's my first time here in the quarters. I just want to go out there on Wednesday and play my best. Then if I'm in the semis, great. If not, then just got to go back and work. I'm not really looking that far ahead right now.

Q. Lots of friends and family?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah.

Q. How many about?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Actually, they're not all coming. They're not. No, my sister is here. My mom is actually with my other sister who just had a baby. I don't have all my family with me, but definitely a lot of friends that are here.

Q. Will they show up for your next round?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: No, I don't think so. The baby is just a week old. I don't think they're allowed to take the plane.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

Solitaire
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
^Thanks for the interview. Tati's so positive and sweet. :)

Tatianandmary
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
WTA/ATP - Miami: déclaration
AFP 28.03.06 | 00h01

atiana Golovin (FRA/qualifiée pour les quarts de finale): "J'étais à domicile puisque j'habite, depuis Wimbledon l'an passé, tout près du stade. Comme on s'entraîne souvent ensemble, je savais comment elle allait jouer. J'ai réussi à lui mettre la pression sur ses services et à la contraindre à prendre des risques. Tactiquement, j'ai vraiment fait un bon match. Je suis restée positive, lucide et j'ai bien joué les points importants. A chaque fois que tu joues fort contre elle, elle joue encore plus fort. Il ne faut pas donner le rythme. Maintenant, je vais jouer mon premier quart de finale à Miami contre une Chinoise (Zheng) que je n'ai jamais jouée. Je vais prendre une journée de repos qui me fera du bien parce que j'ai joué trois matches de suite".

Harju.
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the interview.

I love the fact that Tati has a gameplan coming to every match. She's not typical ball basher like any other youngsters. She may look like a counterpunch player, but she varies her shots well. She needs to fix the backhand and improve on her serve even more. She's so close in winning her matches against Momo and Kim, but she just can't close a tight match. I hope she will learn from the mistake.

All the best in the QF.

FrenchY52
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I'm so happI for u Tati
Thx for interview

rik du chesnay
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the interview and come on tati

martirogi
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:38 PM
i forgot to mention that she practiced with mirza before her match yesterday. they seemed to get along pretty well.

hopefully pics later today

Harju.
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:26 PM
So now we know Tati is good friend with Dementieva and Mirza. Anyone else? :tape:

Schedule after Miami :

Week off.
FCC.
Most prolly Fed Cup.
2 weeks off.
Berlin.

wurzelman
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM
:yeah: great win Tati. I was so pleased to read she had won. :D Now :smash: Jie and get to the semis. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :kiss:

ZAK
Mar 29th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Tati's QF will be showed on ESPN2 tomorrow! A rare US TV appearance for Tati

I<3Tati
Mar 29th, 2006, 01:25 AM
:yeah: great win Tati. I was so pleased to read she had won. :D Now :smash: Jie and get to the semis. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :kiss:

You want Tati to hit Jie in the head?:eek::p JK

Tati's QF will be showed on ESPN2 tomorrow! A rare US TV appearance for Tati

:dance: :bounce: :yippee: :banana: :aparty: :woohoo:

UDACHi
Mar 29th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I'm not gunna be home for the QFs. :mad:

Oh well, win it so I can see the semis. ;)

selyoink
Mar 29th, 2006, 03:40 AM
I really hope ESPN doesn't back out of its coverage tomorrow. Unfortunately I have class at the time Tati's match starts but I'll be taping it.

rseto
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:22 AM
tati's match should be on espn2 as they advertised it at the end of the blake chela match tonight.

don't know much about zheng but this could be a tough match for tati. zheng must be playing well to have won 4 matches this week. but if her stats are similar to her match against dementieva (good ratio of winners to errors, some winning points at the net) i expect her to win. get to the semis, tati!

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:26 AM
the match will be shown on eurosport too! :banana:

FrenchY52
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Yes It will be showed in live from 6h50 PM (France) 12:50 Local time but i hope they will show it from the start ..
COME ON TATIII !!

Tylane
Mar 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM
L'equipe

INSTALLÉE DANS SON BEL appartement de Brickell Key avec vue imprenable sur Biscayne Bay et Miami, Tatiana Golovin était toute contente d’inviter chez elle à dîner les copines et copains de l’équipe de France de Fed Cup, avec, dans le rôle de chef cuisinier, Antoine Maitre-Devallon, le mari de Nathalie Dechy. Après avoir passé sept années à Bradenton, dans le camp de Nick Bollettieri, Golovin s’est vite décidée à retourner vivre en Floride et a acheté cet appartement au début de l’été dernier. Depuis qu’elle y a emménagé à l’automne, elle se sent de nouveau comme chez elle ici, à quelques kilomètres seulement des courts de Key Biscayne.

Après s’être qualifiée pour les quarts de finale en collant 6-2, 6-1 à Elena Dementieva, numéro 8 mondiale, la jeune Française ne cachait pas sa joie : « Je me sens vraiment bien ici. Je me suis entraînée tout l’hiver sur ces courts, et c’est bon d’avoir la sensation de gagner “à la maison”. »

« J’avais oublié l’essentiel »

Seule différence par rapport à ces séances d’entraînement de décembre, Tarik Benhabilès, son entraîneur officiel, n’était pas au bord du court.

« C’est bien lui votre coach ? demanda à Golovin un journaliste américain.

– Oui, oui…

– Il est avec vous sur ce tournoi ?

– Oui… enfin non, car il est très occupé en ce moment avec Ivo Karlovic.

– Mais il est quand même votre coach ?

– Parfois oui, parfois non…

– Et en ce moment ?

– En ce moment, c’est non… »

Interloqué, notre confrère découvrait la complexité des rapports qui ont toujours existé entre Tatiana Golovin et ses différents entraîneurs. Il ignorait aussi que, si elle appréciait les services d’un coach durant les périodes d’entraînement, la Française avait du mal à supporter sa présence au bord du court dans les tournois. « Je suis trop indépendante », s’est-elle toujours justifiée.

Mais cela n’empêchait pas Golovin de reconnaître les mérites de Benhabilès qui l’avait fait travailler dur avant le début de la saison : « Cette victoire, comme les bons matches que j’ai faits ces dernières semaines, est la conséquence de tout le travail hivernal. Cela n’a pas payé tout de suite, car, sur les premiers tournois australiens comme à Tokyo, je m’imaginais que l’entraînement allait me permettre de tout casser tout de suite. Mais j’avais oublié l’essentiel : savoir conduire un match. » « Ensuite, lors de l’Open Gaz de France, je suis arrivée en demi-finale où j’ai obtenu une balle de match contre Amélie (Mauresmo)et la semaine suivante, à Anvers, j’ai longtemps inquiété Kim Clijsters qui était alors numéro 1 mondiale. À Indian Wells, c’était encore pas mal et là, à Miami, je me sens vraiment bien. »

Avec un physique impeccable et une concentration sans faille, Golovin appliqua à la perfection le plan de jeu fixé pour battre Dementieva. « Je la connais super bien, c’était notre cinquième match et nous nous entraînons souvent ensemble. Je sais qu’elle attaque toujours en frappant long de ligne et que, dans l’échange, elle joue croisé. Je savais donc à peu près ce qu’il fallait faire pour la battre. »

Ce qu’il fallait faire, c’est tout de même Loïc Courteau qui le lui souffla cinq minutes avant d’entrer sur le court : « Varier, la prendre à son propre jeu en attaquant long de ligne, bien retourner. »

C’est avec panache que Golovin finit par décourager Dementieva et gagner ainsi le droit de rencontrer aujourd’hui, en quart de finale, la Chinoise Jie Zheng, une adversaire que la Française connaît également très bien pour s’être souvent entraînée avec elle.

ALAIN DEFLASSIEUX

FrenchY52
Mar 29th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Mci

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
This is what I can come out with from the interview with my sucky French :tape:

Tati had dinner with her girlfriends and French Fed Cup team which includes Nathalie Dechy and her husband as the chef in her new apartment @ Miami. After having spent seven years with Bradenton, in the camp of Nick Bollettieri, Golovin decided to live in Florida and bought the apartment at the beginning of last summer. But she only moved in there in the autumn. The apartment is only it is a few kilometers from the courts in Key Biscayne.

She said that she practised during winter and she felt like she's playing at home and it helps during the match. Then they talked about Tarik Benhabiles, her coach. I supposed it's the same as the interview posted by Lucia. She said something about being independent which I'm not sure what it is :tape:

K I give up :o. So here are the rest of the article with the help of google :o.

But that did not prevent Golovin from recognizing the merits of Benhabilès which had made it work hard before the beginning of the season: "This victory, like the goods matches which I made these last weeks, is the consequence of all winter work. That did not pay immediately, because, on the first Australian tournaments as in Tokyo, I thought that the drive was going to allow me all to break immediately. But I had forgotten essence: to know to lead a match Then "", at the time of Open Gas of France, I arrived in semi-final where I obtained a match point against Amélie (Mauresmo)et the following week, in Antwerp, I a long time worried Kim Clijsters which was then number 1 world. In Indian Wells, it was not yet badly and there, in Miami, I smell myself really well "With an impeccable physique and a concentration without fault, Golovin applied to perfection the plan of play fixed to beat Dementieva." I know it super good, it was our fifth match and we involve ourselves often together. I know that it always attacks by striking long line and that, in the exchange, it plays cross. I thus knew about what it was necessary to do to beat it "what it was necessary to make, it is all the same Loïc Courteau which blew it to him five minutes before entering on the court: "To vary, to take it with its own play by attacking long line, to turn over" It well is with plume that Golovin ends up discouraging Dementieva and thus gaining the right to meet today, in quarterfinal, Chinese Jie Zheng, an adversary which the Frenchwoman also knows very well to have often involved with it.

FrenchY52
Mar 29th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Again 25 minutes to wait to see Tati playin' !!
I haven't seen her on TV since her match against Amé OGF So i'm OVEREXCITED ... :D

ALLeZ TaTiAnA !!

rik du chesnay
Mar 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
je peux plus tenir!!lol

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Tati :smash:. You beet Lena for this craps :help:

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Tati 3-5 :smash:

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Tati 3-6 :banghead: :fiery:. WTF?

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Tati 3-6 2-1. Come on now. Hold. Don't blow this HUGE chance :mad:

rik du chesnay
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM
6/3 great tati

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Tati took the second 6-3 :banana:.

Much cleaner match in the second.

rik du chesnay
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:30 PM
c'mon tati

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Not looking good for Tati :o.

rik du chesnay
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:43 PM
allez tati

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:48 PM
And she broke right back.

2-2. :unsure: :scared:

Craigy
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:51 PM
allez Tati!!!

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM
She holds. Break her ass now :fiery:

rik du chesnay
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:57 PM
4/2 great tati

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM
:banana:.

Crucial game. HOLD please.

Craigy
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Oh come on Tati! :bounce:

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
5-2 :woohoo:

BREAK BREAK BREAK.

Craigy
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:12 PM
OMG!!! Congrats Tati! Well done for fighting back! good luck against Maria or myskina! :D

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Despite winning, Tati played bad. Jie basically handed the match in the end :o.

She needs to step it up 409546754769856X for the semi.

rik du chesnay
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:15 PM
MAGIC TATI.congrats tati.she look like tired

Belmont Lad
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Awesome result to be in the semis Tatiana!!! :clap2: :clap2: Best of luck for the next match against Sharapova/Myskina! :wavey: :kiss:

Craigy
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM

That's true.

FrenchY52
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM
OMG TATIIIII
I knew she will win the 2nd set !! But i think in the 3rd they both play well in the same time but Tati was better !!
Good luck against the next one :) this is just bonus for u now :hearts:

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM

She needs to step it up 409546754769856X for the semi.ditto.

but at least she Golovinated in the end :D:banana:

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:33 PM
She moves up to #21.

Lulu.
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:34 PM

True. I believe she will though she always steps her game up against the top players. Now that she has beaten Dementieva I think she believes that she can close out the top players. So she should do well in the Semis

rseto
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM
well, i'm glad tati survived that match. zheng donated a lot of points in that match. and why didn't tati try to get zheng to the net after it became obvious that she couldn't volley? hope she talks to brad afterward.

but i'm not too concerned about her next match. she always like to fight against the top players.

FrenchY52
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Tati is probably happy but she didn't looked that happy to this win . I dunno if it's due to the Last PT ( Zheng DB ) or if she is a bit disappointed by her 2dayz match..

willrock
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM
The semi is gonna be so exciting! :drool:

the cat
Mar 29th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Tatiana won a match she could have lost against Zheng. She came through and won a Tier 1 quarterfinal she really needed to win. :) I hope she's happy about this. Afterall making the Nasdaq-100 Open semifinals is one fo the best results in her career. Now she needs to rest up for her semifinal match.

Harju.
Mar 29th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Local hero: Golovin reaches Key Biscayne semifinals By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
March 29, 2006 http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060329/thumb.flkb20103291849.nasdaq_100_open_tennis_flkb2 01.jpg (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=flkb20103291849.nasdaq_100_open_tennis_ flkb201&prov=ap)
AP - Mar 29, 1:50 pm EST
More Photos (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/gallery)

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Tatiana Golovin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/565/) made the most of her home-court advantage Wednesday, beating Zheng Jie 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 to reach the semifinals of the Nasdaq-100 Open.

Born in Moscow and raised in France, the 18-year-old Golovin moved to Miami last fall and trained over the winter on the tournament site at Key Biscayne with Andy Roddick (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/46/)'s former coach, Tarik Benhabiles.

After a shaky start, Golovin looked right at home on the Crandon Park stadium court, breaking serve seven times in the final two sets. Seeded 22nd, she won the last five games and matched her best showing at a Tier I event with the quarterfinal win.

"I had to take my time and find my rhythm, and then I really started hitting it," she said.

Her opponent Thursday will be the winner of Wednesday night's match between No. 4 Maria Sharapova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/403/) and No. 10 Anastasia Myskina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/101/).

Instant replay helped Golovin reach set point in the second set. Zheng hit a shot ruled good for a winner, but Golovin challenged the call, and the replay showed the ball landing long of the baseline. Golovin then won the next point to force a third set.

Only 34 of 116 challenges (29 percent) were successful in the first seven days of the tournament.

Jheng arrived at Key Biscayne with an 0-6 record this year, then won four matches in a row. But against Golovin she committed 47 unforced errors and lost 46 of 79 service points.

Tati is a local hero now? :tape: :lol:. Btw, Tati made 4 challenges and got 3 right.

nouf
Mar 29th, 2006, 09:05 PM
article equipe today thkxs tatiworld! :-)

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7162/scanequipe29mars2006tatiworld1.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scanequipe29mars2006tatiworld1.jpg)

selyoink
Mar 29th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Glad Tati won but she wasn't very impressive in victory. I didn't get to see the first set and a half because I was at class. Sounds like she cleaned up her game after a sloppy first set. Still like you have all said she will need to play much better to have a chance at beating Myskina or Sharapova. Still I never would have dreamed of her making the semis before the tournament. I believe I voted for to only make the 3rd round. Glad Tati made a fool of me.

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 29th, 2006, 10:59 PM
T. GOLOVIN/J. Zheng
3-6, 6-3, 6-2

An interview with:

TATIANA GOLOVIN

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. How did you turn the match around and come back in the second and third sets?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I just -- I don't think I played that well in the first. I think she kind of surprised me by the way she played. You know, she was really taking the ball early and really going for her shots. You could see she had no pressure and she just kind of wanted to go out there and win.

So, you know, I was a little bit nervous. I wasn't really hitting through the balls in the first set. But then I think mentally I was really tough out there and I kept fighting all through the end, and that's kind of what got me through it.

Q. Did it have anything to do with that first set, with that challenge? Challenged a call on her serve, she was down Love-30, 3-All, she wins that challenge.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: No, actually, I was kind of -- I thought it was out. Just wanted to challenge it.

No, but I don't think that really made a difference. I actually think the challenge is so good because that's kind of why I wanted to play on center, too, is to try that out (laughing).

No, I think it's actually good because I think it gives a little break to the umpires because you're not like screaming at them, and it makes you feel better, too.

Q. You kind of cruised through your first three opponents, your matches. This one was a bit tougher.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I think maybe a little bit more pressure today because I think people were expecting me to win and I was expecting to win myself. I had a great match against Dementieva, you know, yesterday or two days ago.

So I think I guess the easy matches are good in the beginning because you kind of, you know, you stay fit and you stay in shape so you don't lose too much energy. But I think it's good for me to have a tougher match to get into the match tomorrow.

Q. You haven't beaten either of them but you played them very tough, Sharapova and Myskina. What kind of match do you anticipate?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, I think I played -- yeah, I did play both of them, all three-setters.

You know, it's gonna be different situation, different atmosphere, different conditions. I'm just happy to be in the semis. I'm going to go out there and just really play my best. I think it's definitely going to be a different match than today because I got nothing really to lose tomorrow.

Q. You spent a lot of the winter training at this park.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yes.

Q. What is it like to be playing now in this tournament, doing so well?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: It's nice. It feels really nice to be driving your car to the courts, sleeping in your own bed, knowing you know everything around. I just know the courts so well, I know the conditions and the wind. I think it definitely -- I have my friends and family, so it's definitely a lot more support.

Q. When exactly did you move here, and why here?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Well, I always kind of practiced in Florida. I moved down here after Wimbledon last year. I've been in Bollettieri's for seven years, I spent like a year and a half at Evert's. Florida is kind of like my second home.

Q. Any reason Miami per se?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: My sister lived in Miami, so I kind of knew the place. Miami is definitely a great town, so...

Q. You said she "lives"?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: She lived, yeah.

Q. If you could point to one or perhaps two things that have elevated your game to the level it's at now in this past year, what would it be?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I think mentally I got a little more mature, and I'm kind of -- you know, I think I'm handling situations better. I think I've improved on my serve. Just physically. I think just kind of all-around game. I had a good two and a half months -- like two months of practice over the winter where we worked on my backhand and my forehand and coming in. I think my volley's improved.

But just needs to come out now in the matches and I need to play the way I'm playing at practice.

Q. When you say "mentally matured," do you possibly mean being more selective about when to go for an explosive shot?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Absolutely. I think, you know, going for the right shots at the right time, and especially trying to -- staying, I think -- against Dementieva, you know, when you have a game plan, you have to stick to it no matter what happens. I think that's kind of what happened, and just that type of maturity, the things that only come with experience, I guess.

Q. I know you're not working with Tarik. Are you planning on going alone, getting back together with him, looking for someone else?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I don't know. I'm just going to try to focus on this tournament for now.

I'm playing Amelia and Charleston next week, so I won't have much time to practice. I'm definitely looking. I think I do need a coach, but just really kind of taking it easy.

Q. Do you still have an apartment in Paris?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: No, my sister lives in Strasbourg, so kind of not in Paris. I get to stay in a hotel when I'm in Paris, which is even nicer (smiling).

Q. I was reading about you. It said that you played ice hockey as a child, is that right?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, my dad was a hockey coach so my first sport was kind of playing hockey. I played on my dad's team. I love ice skating.

Q. Till you were about how old?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Six, until we left to Florida to Bollettieri's.

Q. Do you follow the sport?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: We go occasionally now. I like to watch when it's on TV, but I don't really follow it, like I don't really know the players or the teams.

Q. Does your dad still coach?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: No.

Q. He doesn't. I know he left Russia, yes, to coach?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: In France.

Q. What kind of team, a junior team?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: It was a team of Lyon. I'm not even sure really. I think it was, I guess, professional team, like a French city, yeah.

Q. Was that the reason he left?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, for work.

Q. There's a little Russian in you. You've already beaten two Russians here. You might be beating a third one.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I hope so (smiling).

Q. Is there something you know about the Russian mentality, and is there a Russian tennis mentality?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I think we're just really tough, and I think there's a lot of confidence about, you know, when you're from Russia you're kind of expected to win and there's no other solution but to win.

So I think, you know, that's why all the Russian girls are doing so well, because it's so natural to win. It's not like something exceptional.

Q. Is that something that you can use in your favor?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I think so. I should, I guess, you know. I got to have that confidence in order to play well, absolutely.

Q. Where are your parents now?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: My mom is with my sister and my sister just had a baby like a week ago. She's in France.

Q. In Strasbourg?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, she's in France. My other sister is actually here with me now, with my nephew. I'm like switching families.

Q. If we have a pie chart of you, how much is Russian, how much is French, and how much is United States?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I always see myself as French. I mean, this is kind of where I grew up. When I go home, I do call, you know, France "home" for me. I think America is just somewhere where I can practice and is good for my tennis. Russian, I think, is just in the family.

So definitely French.

Q. You are an animal lover, is that right?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Absolutely. I have two dogs and a cat, and I love horses.

Q. Who takes care of these animals?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: My sister, my family.

Q. She lives with you here, you're saying?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: No, my animals aren't here, no. They're all in France, unfortunately. Nobody like comes to greet me when I come at the door anymore so... it sucks (smiling). awww :sad:

Q. The other thing is, are you very into fashion?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, yeah, of course. Of course. You know, I love shopping in Paris. You know, you get to travel so much, so you get to see a lot of different fashions. I'm 18, so I love dressing up.

Q. You're sponsored by Lacoste.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yes.

Q. Someone told me you might have a say in the --

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I do. The dresses that I design, we get together with the Lacoste team and we think about new models to make, new outfits. Starting the French, we're going to have great, great clothes coming out. It's really exciting.

Q. How about today's?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: This is actually Wimbledon's dress. I didn't play that well last year at Wimbledon, so nobody really got to see it. So I'm pushing it forward now so everybody sees it. :lol:

Q. You helped design that?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, yeah, and the other ones, too, the pink and the white ones.

Q. What other things do you do, hobbies besides tennis?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Like I said, I love horseback riding, you know. I love, like, going to shopping, going out with friends, dancing, taking piano lessons. So, you know, ballroom dancing. A lot of things really. I love reading, you know, going to the movies.

Q. As a tennis clothes designer, you undoubtedly recall the famous "cat suit" that Serena Williams wore at the US Open. Would you ever wear something like that?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Uhm, I don't know, but something maybe similar to it. No, I just think it's -- I think she's done a great job with all her clothes, really putting out her personality out there. I think it's great for the fans to see a different side of you, except just a tennis player, you also get to see what you like to wear. So I think she's done a big step for tennis with her outfits.

Q. How would you describe today's outfit, so I don't screw it up here?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: What do you guys think?

Q. It was pretty, but how would you describe it?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: How would I describe it? I think it's, yeah, very, you know -- we try to stay elegant and classy, as Lacoste. I love the open back, the back that is open. It definitely has a little sassy and is a little sexy, just the little wavy skirts. I think it's just kind of what's happening in fashion right now.

Q. You haven't worn it since Wimbledon? Is this the first place you've worn it?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah. I didn't want to wear them again, I'm like, "They suck, I'm not gonna wear them." :lol: liar...

Q. You went back to Moscow in 2004, and it seemed you were very taken with the city. What did you go home and tell your family?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, I just told them that we have to go back together and visit everything and see where I was born. But everything went by so fast.

But definitely I think it's something that I have to share with my family in order to really understand the city.

Q. So you haven't gone back?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: No, we haven't been back.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

selyoink
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I was just about to post the interview. Poor Tati. Her pets don't like her anymore.

selyoink
Mar 30th, 2006, 01:55 AM
It will be Tati and Sharapova in the second match of the night session tomorrow. Please record the biggest win of your career Tati.

Lulu.
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Cmon on Tati. You can win this do you absolute best! :yeah:

tennisrulz8
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Yay! Tati! Allez! Good luck next round.

UDACHi
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Allez. :banana:

Magic07
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:06 PM
:hearts: Allez TATI

nouf
Mar 30th, 2006, 01:50 PM
for frenchies!

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/6461/scanequipe30mars2006tatiworld6.th.jpg (http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scanequipe30mars2006tatiworld6.jpg)

Swiss_fan
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Tati :worship:

take the title :kiss:

FrenchY52
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah tati deserves it !

FrenchY52
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Great article !

rik du chesnay
Mar 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Allez Tati!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek.
Mar 30th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I saw two of Tati's matches in Miami. I saw her beat Elena and I saw her beat Jie Zheng. Tati played superb against Elena. She hardly made any errors and hit some great winners. She also was thinking on court as she hit a few drop shots as well. She served good, she did everything well and that's why she won so easily. Against Jie she started slow, but she quickly got back into things. She's been playing very well in Miami so far. :D

wurzelman
Mar 30th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Go Tati!!!

Swiss_fan
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:06 AM
Semi final is getting closer :)

Lulu.
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:10 AM
Semi final is getting closer :)

Cant wait to watch it! Go Tati! :yeah:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:08 AM
Tati down a break 1-2. :(

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:09 AM
Tati 1-3.

Hope she doesn't get raped :scared:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:13 AM
Tati 1-4.

9 UEs so far :help:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:18 AM
Tati breaks back :eek:. 2-4 now.

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:22 AM
Tati holds :scared:. 3-4

Serve % is not doing too well though.

Break again now.

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:27 AM
Tati 3-5.

Winners/UE 9-12 :scared:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:30 AM
DF start to creep in.

Tati 3-6. :o

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:34 AM
Tati 3-6 0-1 :scared:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:40 AM
Tati's broken. 3-6 0-2 :scared:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:44 AM
Tati 3-6 0-3 :o

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:47 AM
It's over it seems. I just hope Tati could take a few more games.

0-4 :o

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:48 AM
4 shots to the net :help: :smash:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:52 AM
she broke :o. come on. she is so dead on court. fight tati :smash:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:56 AM
Tati 1-5 :tape:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 03:08 AM
4 BPs wasted :help:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 03:12 AM
Saved 2 MPs so far :scared:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 03:15 AM
Saved 4 MPs :scared:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 03:17 AM
She broke again. :eek:

3-6 4-5. Can she hold :scared:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 03:24 AM
Masha took bathroom break to break Tati's momentum :o. The match only lasted for one hour :tape:

OMG, Tati levels it to 5-5 now :banana:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 03:47 AM
OMG. Tati won the TB. :banana:

There'd be lots of Tati's bandwagon after tonight :angel:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:16 AM
Tati 2-3*. Fight Tati :smash:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:25 AM
It's not looking good now :(

selyoink
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:27 AM
I can't believe she came back from 1-5 down. I went to play basketball at 3-0 in the second I think only to come back and see she was in a third set. Good thing I was still taping it.

Please get the break back Tati.

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:30 AM
I don't have a good feeling :(.

selyoink
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:33 AM
Tati just rolled her ankle very bad. Looked horrible on replay.

Kunal
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:34 AM
wts the score?

Kunal
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:36 AM
holy shit....i jus saw the messages and i didnt realize it was this dramatic

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:37 AM
Man. I hope she's alright. :hug:. Fuck.

Kunal
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:39 AM
wats the score now?

selyoink
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:40 AM
Tati retired because of the injury. She can barely walk.

I think it is a serious injury :sad:

Solitaire
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:41 AM
Tati :bigcry: :hug: She tried her best and that's all u can ask of her. Maria got very lucky. :rolleyes:

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:42 AM
I hope it doesn't screw the rest of the season :(. Take care Tati :hug:

Kunal
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:47 AM
she won?

Kunal
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:48 AM
o shit ....i hope its nothing serious

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:56 AM
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1104/033023333305lh.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5457/033023333328vv.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3413/033023333352bl.jpg

FUCK :fiery:

selyoink
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:58 AM
Well Tati certainly won't be playing Amelia Island anymore. I highly doubt she will be able to play Charleston either. I'm just hoping it isn't a broken ankle.

I<3Tati
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:01 AM
Tati :sad: :bigcry: :tears: :sobbing: :crying2: I'm so sorry, get well soon!:hug: Maria :fiery: Does anyone else who is (was) a fan of Maria now find her to be a complete bitch? Both of the net cords that she hit and fell over, she didn't apologize for one, and then when Tati went over she just acts like nothing happened.:rolleyes: Ughh I absolutely hate her now! BTW sorry if im overreacting, but what she did just completely disgusts me!

Kunal
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:02 AM
g'd luck

Kunal
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:04 AM
damn an ankle roll....can really screw things up huh?

Belmont Lad
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:17 AM
Poor Tati, to have such an incredible battle end that way :sad: Luck has certainly not been on her side in these marque matches this year, but for this to happen, so terrible. Hoping you heal quickly and that we'll see you soon Tati! :kiss: :kiss:

tennisrulz8
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:27 AM
This is not good at all. I hope she gets better. This is just such bad luck, she was doing so well.

willrock
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:30 AM
:bigcry:

rseto
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:37 AM
damn! how can it happen twice? last year, she sprained her ankle before the french and she didn't get over it until october. now again! and both times, she was playing so well. i really hope all these ankle injuries won't affect her in the coming years.

you played great tati! get well soon!

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:45 AM
i am so gutted. three close matches against top players and lost all. but this is one is worse. the fall was pretty similar to what anna k had @ amelia. it was NASTY. i hope it doesn't affect her career.

nouf
Mar 31st, 2006, 05:53 AM
poor tati! :-/ i am so sad! i will send to her a letter

merci tati et bons rétablissements

timafi
Mar 31st, 2006, 06:11 AM
Tati,
i'm sooooooo sorry about ur ankle and I wish you nothing but a speedy recovery
I hope Sveta beats the russian out of maria
this gal is pure trash and i'm being nice to her
can't wait to see you
take care
go rest
we got fed cup in a few weeks
go win
you and Ame have double duties in both singles and doubles maybe with Marion and Emilie

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 06:54 AM
Hoping to stop Kuznetsova's run in the final will be none other than her young compatriot Sharapova, the No.4 seed this fortnight, who advanced to the final when No.22 seed Tatiana Golovin was forced to retire with a sprained left ankle while trailing 63 67(5) 43.

Sharapova seemed well on her way to an easy straight set victory early on, winning the first set and building a massive 5-1 lead in the second. However, the feisty French teenager would not fold, closing the gap to 5-3 and then saving four match points in the ninth game, eventually pushing the second set to a tie-break and the match to a third set. Sharapova was up a break of serve at 4-3 when her opponent rolled over her ankle and was forced to stop playing after nearly three hours of highly competitive tennis.

"It's just very unfortunate, I feel terrible for her," Sharapova said. "She just played out of her mind in the second set, didn't miss a ball. It was so close in the third, and I hit a shot, turned away, and the next thing I know, the crowd went silent and I turned and she's on the ground... I did not know what happened until the ankle was being taped."

"In the second set, I just focused more and got my rhythm back," Golovin stated. "I overran that ball and after I hit the ball, I felt the pain as soon as I landed on that ankle. With the tape and adrenaline, I kind of forgot about it. It was deuce and I wanted to give it a try. But then, I could feel the pain on both sides of my ankle and I just knew."

Golovin was contesting her second career Tier I semifinal, having featured in the final four at the clay court event in Charleston last season. The Russian-born Frenchwoman, now a resident of Miami, had also notched her fifth career Top 10 victory en route to the semis this fortnight, defeating current world No.8 Elena Dementieva 62 61 in the round of 16.

"I've been playing better in my last three or four tournaments, especially going to three sets against top players such as Amélie [Mauresmo] and Kim [Clijsters] at previous events. Against Maria, I felt like I had another good opportunity. I played solid tennis during this tournament. I had a great win against Dementieva here and tonight, the crowd was amazing."

Albeit not under the most desirable circumstances, Sharapova remained excited to play in her second straight Tier I singles final, having captured the Indian Wells title two weeks ago.

"In a way it's exciting," the Russian said. "Obviously, unfortunate how I got there based on today. But I've played solid tennis. Should have finished it off, of course. But that's not the way it went. But I kind of have to forget about it and look forward to the final."

Saturday's championship match will mark the eighth all-Russian final in Tour history, and second straight. After over 16 months without an all-Russian Tour singles final, Sharapova played Dementieva in the final of Indian Wells two weeks ago, winning in straight sets. Her 1-0 record in Russian finals is matched by Kuznetsova, whose lone final against a compatriot came at the US Open in 2004, also against Dementieva, and also a victory in two sets.

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 06:58 AM
Boos for Sharapova as she advances to Key Biscayne final

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

March 31, 2006

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Maria Sharapova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/403/) blew a big lead, drew boos for taking a bathroom break and won only when opponent Tatiana Golovin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/565/) was forced to retire in tears because of an ankle injury.

The hollow victory Thursday night earned Sharapova a berth in the final at the Nasdaq-100 Open.

Sharapova failed to convert four match points in the second set and played for another 75 minutes before Golovin twisted her left ankle and fell chasing a shot in the corner.

A trainer taped Golovin's ankle. The French teenager played one more point, hitting a return wide, then called it quits with Sharapova serving and leading 6-3, 6-7 (5), 4-3, ad in.

"It's very unfortunate," Sharapova said. "She played unbelievable tennis, the best I've seen her play. She played basically out of her mind in the second set, and it was so close in the third set."

The stadium was less than half full when the match ended at 11:40 p.m. EST, but the fans were noisy. Three times they jeered Sharapova for taking a break leading 5-4 in the second set.

if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write(""); if (window.yzq_a) { yzq_a('p', 'P=QlDpyULaR9H6aPu4QZ49KwBmwKkpIUQs0TUACeHG&T=13q198269%2fX%3d1143787829%2fE%3d95862560%2fR%3d sports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3 d858360338%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d044ADA42'); yzq_a('a', '&U=139sdnv3u%2fN%3d4CCBC9FJq1w-%2fC%3d397153.7973997.8891762.1806201%2fD%3dLREC%2 fB%3d3295464'); } http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=QlDpyULaR9H6aPu4QZ49KwBmwKkpIUQs0TUACeHG&T=13vpal370%2fX%3d1143787829%2fE%3d95862560%2fR%3d sports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3 d227271611%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d044ADA42&U=139sdnv3u%2fN%3d4CCBC9FJq1w-%2fC%3d397153.7973997.8891762.1806201%2fD%3dLREC%2 fB%3d3295464
The interruption didn't deter Golovin, who won the crowd's favor by completing her comeback from a 5-1 deficit in the set to force a third set.

"I should have finished it off, but that's not the way it went," Sharapova said. "But I have to forget about it and get ready for the final."

Like Federer, Sharapova is bidding for back-to-back titles after winning at Indian Wells. She's 2-2 against fellow Russian Kuznetsova, winning their past two meetings.

Sharapova led the No. 22-seeded Golovin 5-1 in the second set and held four match points serving at 5-3. But the situation inspired Golovin to raise her level of play, and she hung on by winning a series of long rallies to cut the deficit to 5-4.

Sharapova requested a bathroom break. Because of the timing of the request, the chair umpire initially turned her down before relenting.

Fans jeered as Sharapova trotted off the court and booed again when she returned. She said the jeering didn't surprise her.

"It's part of the sport," she said. "It happens everywhere. The crowd needs entertainment."

Golovin twice held serve to force the tiebreaker. She reached set point at 6-5, then hit a forehand that skipped off the net cord and landed on the baseline for a winner. Sharapova challenged the call, but instant replay confirmed the ruling, and the crowd erupted. pretty pathetic to challenge a call on SP :haha:

Sharapova took another bathroom break, and the crowd booed her again. There were no further jeers, and only cheers for Golovin at the finish as she limped off the court, her arm around a trainer.

She was then taken to a hospital.

"I just overran the ball after I hit the ball," she said. "I felt the pain as soon as I landed on that ankle."

nouf
Mar 31st, 2006, 07:08 AM
:-/ if you want to let a message for tati! you can

http://tatiworld.free.fr/livredor.php

she knows my website since open gaz of france!

get well soon tati!

martirogi
Mar 31st, 2006, 07:13 AM
:sad: tania! take my ankles!

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 31st, 2006, 07:20 AM
Tati :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad: she was playing the best tennis of her life in the past weeks... this girl is so unlucky with injuries. :fiery:

Orgasmpova on the other hand should burn in hell :fiery: Geez... I hate that girl even more (if that was possible)

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 07:27 AM
Tati :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad: she was playing the best tennis of her life in the past weeks... this girl is so unlucky with injuries. :fiery:

Orgasmpova on the other hand should burn in hell :fiery: Geez... I hate that girl even more (if that was possible)
Lucy :hug: Hope it's not Kournikova all over again :(

rseto
Mar 31st, 2006, 08:19 AM
i wonder when we'll get any news about the severity of tati's injury. but reading the news articles and other posters in GM, it doesn't sound good. hoping for the best.

Harju.
Mar 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM
it's night in miami. we'd prolly have to wait till tomorrow for the news.

it looked very nasty though. let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

pcrtennis
Mar 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM
I was never a fan of any player from France but watching Tatiana play this match and the incredible effort she put forth is what makes fans of people like me... AMAZING. I will cheer for her from now on and she should be proud of the effort she made. I was speechless, I didn't know she had it in her. But now I do. I hope she gets better and returns to form soon!

Maria Croft
Mar 31st, 2006, 11:23 AM
Feel better soon Golovin!

yukon145
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
i was on a school trip all week and just got back.

so happy to see Tati playing well again and making the semis of the nasdaq but im so pissed about her ankle, it doesnt sound good at all. i have a bad feeling about it and i think if its really bad she could be out until the french

knowing Tati though i bet she will want to play the french really badly and try her hardest to be ready for it, hopfully its not too serious. :sad:

Oural56
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:01 PM
Tati... :sobbing:
I'm with you

Swiss_fan
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Tati :sad:

poor girl , you where playing so well since February.

For me you are the real winner of Miami 2006

Swiss_fan
Apr 1st, 2006, 01:37 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/9350019

Golovin sidelined after tearing ligaments in left ankle

KEY BISCAYNE, Florida -- Tatiana Golovin is expected to be sidelined four to six weeks after injuring her left ankle in her semifinal loss at the Nasdaq-100 Open, the WTA Tour said Friday.

Golovin tore two ligaments and bruised a bone when she twisted her ankle and fell chasing a shot in the third set of her match Thursday night against Maria Sharapova.

After a trainer taped Golovin's ankle, she played one more point but was forced to retire with Sharapova serving and leading 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 4-3, ad in.

The 18-year-old Golovin won the crowd's favor by rallying from a 5-1 deficit in the second set and overcoming four match points to even the match. She received a standing ovation as she limped off the court afterward with an arm around a trainer.

Golovin will be in a cast for 10 days, the tour said. She hopes to return for the clay court tournament in Berlin beginning May 8, three weeks before the French Open.

Sharapova will play fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova in the final Saturday

ZAK
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:06 AM
This was the best tournament of Tati's career so far

Get better soon!

UDACHi
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:09 AM
Lucy :hug: Hope it's not Kournikova all over again :(

Good lord no! :eek:

UDACHi
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:35 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/9350019

:sad:

Harju.
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:52 AM
Somehow I felt it's going to take more than 6 weeks to recover. The reason why she's coming back to Berlin is prolly because they saw her name on the commitment list. :shrug:. And y'all know what happened last year when she had minor issue with her ankle. She was losing early. And with the worse one this time, it's going to be an ugly year ahead. :( I don't care as long as she's healthy.

Swiss_fan
Apr 1st, 2006, 03:04 AM
maybe it's best for her she skips the clay court season, she can't take risks for the rest of the season or the rest of her career, and clay tennis is already the most difficult one for ankle's.

martirogi
Apr 1st, 2006, 03:12 AM
i think tati now knows a high level of play on a big stage and she'll not take long to get back there. obviously the ankle will take time, but i think once she is back and healthy she'll have an amazing year. i think she'll have a deep run at the french or wimbly and i cant wait for it to happen.

if her fist tourney back is berlin she'll prob lose early, but probably do better at stratsbourg or paris.

FrenchY52
Apr 1st, 2006, 08:01 AM
Anyway Congrat's Tati

TatiAnnahølic
Apr 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
She should rest and comeback in Rome or Strasbourg.

Magic07
Apr 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM

That's going to be long :sad:

FrenchY52
Apr 1st, 2006, 09:38 AM
It'll be long but the comeback can just be wonderful !
C'mon

yukon145
Apr 1st, 2006, 12:31 PM
she just needs to rest and not rush coming back, even if that means skipping the french. hopfully shes better before then though. a return at strasbourg would be a good idea because its smaller.

her ranking wont suffer much. she gained points in miami and will probally lose about the same amount from the family circle. other than that she has little to defend before the french.

rseto
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM

yeah, she'll probably try really hard to get ready for and play the FO. hope she doesn't rush her return. red clay isn't her strongest surface and i don't think she's an expert slider on that surface.

Swiss_fan
Apr 1st, 2006, 06:14 PM
Some stupid reactions in the GM abouth tati's comments abouth the non-reaction abouth maria...

rseto
Apr 1st, 2006, 07:50 PM
Some stupid reactions in the GM abouth tati's comments abouth the non-reaction abouth maria...

:rolleyes: :lol: that means tati has made it to the big time!

Swiss_fan
Apr 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM

to much "abouths' :lol:

Harju.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
The biggest troll is MarJen something something. Just because everyone (non Tati fans) is bashing Sharapiss, she has to bash Tati :tape:

rseto
Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:54 AM
The biggest troll is MarJen something something. Just because everyone (non Tati fans) is bashing Sharapiss, she has to bash Tati :tape:

apparently, that troll is looking out for amelie. can't have tati moving up towards amelie. :lol:

Harju.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM
apparently, that troll is looking out for amelie. can't have tati moving up towards amelie. :lol:
no she didn't. she's allez (justine) and vamos (maria) fan. :p

rseto
Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
no she didn't. she's allez (justine) and vamos (maria) fan. :p

not to give the troll more publicity but she has a line about tati and amelie. or maybe my original interpretation is wrong! :p

Harju.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:22 AM
not to give the troll more publicity but she has a line about tati and amelie. or maybe my original interpretation is wrong! :p
"Sorry" Maria Haters, but Tatiana Golovin is no Amelie Mauresmo.....

:spit: Who said she's Amelie Mauresmo in the first place.

andrewbroad
Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
===============
NAZGÛL-100 OPEN (Miami, Florida, USA; outdoor hard; WTA Tier I)
=============== http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/ (http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/)

I have been a demi-fan of Tatiana for two years now, but I'm still considering whether or not to induct her into my eternal fanship.

I haven't seen any matches from Miami 2006, but I'm planning to order Tati's semi-final from Tennis Videos International (http://www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/) (if and when they add it to their catalogue) to help me make my mind up about her.

In the meantime, here's a Tatiana-edit of my Miami reports that I posted on the jeldani Yahoo! Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/).

I'm very sorry to hear about Tatiana's injury, and I wish her a full recovery.

------
Photos
------

On court:
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=golovin (http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=golovin)
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=golovon (http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=golovon)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=133235&page=38 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=133235&page=38)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=226035&page=7 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=226035&page=7) (and p.9)
Search Getty Images for "golovin"

So cute but so sad...

martirogi's photos (Saturday and Sunday):
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/tennisy/nasdaq%202006/ (http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/tennisy/nasdaq%202006/)

Off court:
http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/news/photos/gallery21786.html (http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/news/photos/gallery21786.html)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=226035 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=226035)

Semi-final highlights video (warning: horrible):
http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/wta-miami/2006/mc_vid24400.shtml (http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/wta-miami/2006/mc_vid24400.shtml)

------------
Early rounds
------------

TATIANA GOLOVIN [22]:
1r bye
2r + Lourdes Domínguez Lino, 7-5 6-0
3r + Elena Vesnina, 6-2 6-3

--------------------
Fourth-round preview (as I wrote it at the time)
--------------------

Tatiana has almost scored some massive wins in the last couple of months, with match-points against Mauresmo at Paris, and Clijsters at Antwerp.

But "almost" is a very important word in tennis - Tatiana is such a choker that she lost to Gisela Dulko at Indian Wells after leading 6-1 5-3.

Tati beat Dementieva 6-4 6-4 at Paris 2004, when she was young and fearless, but lost to Dementieva twice in 2005 after winning the first set - including 4r Miami 2005. With Dementieva having been runner-up at Indian Wells, and dropping just five games in her two matches here, the chances of a Tatiana-victory look very slim.

------------
Fourth round
------------

+ TATIANA GOLOVIN [22] d. ELENA DEMENTIEVA [6], 6-2 6-1

www.wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com/):
>>>
No.22-seeded teen star Tatiana Golovin routed No.6 seed Elena Dementieva in just over an hour, 62 61, for her 100th career singles match victory. Golovin had lost to Dementieva in the same round here last year, so Monday's victory was a bit of friendly revenge for the 18-year-old Miami resident.

"I knew my game plan, I really stuck to it, I think that's really what made the difference," Golovin noted. "We're actually pretty good friends, so we know each other pretty well. I knew how she was gonna play. I knew that I had to be really tough out there. Playing at home really helps. And I've been playing pretty well the last couple weeks. I'm feeling confident."
<<<

-------------
Quarter-final
-------------

+ TATIANA GOLOVIN [22] d. Zheng,Jie, 3-6 6-3 6-2

In contrast to her 6-2 6-1 thrashing of Elena Dementieva, Tatiana struggled quite a bit against the unseeded Zheng, needing over two hours to win a match that featured 14 breaks of serve.

I'm not surprised that Tatiana followed her thrashing of Dementieva with such a struggle. Against Dementieva she had nothing to lose, but when you have an unseeded player between yourself and reaching the biggest semi-final of your career, the mentality is "I'd better not blow it", you become inhibited by the pressure, and you play to the level of your opponent.

Tatiana had a W:UE ratio of 25:33, but benefited from some poor serving from Zheng, who had a blister on her left sole in the third set. Zheng served her fourth double fault on Tatiana's match-point - which is just as well, because Tatiana has lost from match-point up at her last three tournaments!

Tatiana quotes
--------------

"I don't think I played that well in the first. I think she kind of surprised me by the way she played. She was taking the ball early, and really going for her shots. You could see she had no pressure, and she just kind of wanted to go out there and win.

"So, you know, I was a little bit nervous. I wasn't really hitting through the balls in the first set. But then I think mentally I was really tough out there, and I kept fighting all through the end, and that's kind of what got me through it."

[Re. Hawkeye]
"It gives a little break to the umpires because you're not like screaming at them. And it makes you feel better, too."

[Re. her improvements in the last year]
"I think mentally I got a little more mature, and I'm kind of - you know, I think I'm handling situations better. I think I've improved on my serve. Just physically. I think just kind of all-around game. I had a good two and a half months - like two months of practice over the winter, where we worked on my backhand and my forehand and coming in. I think my volley's improved.

"I think, you know, going for the right shots at the right time, and especially trying to - staying, I think - against Dementieva, you know, when you have a game-plan, you have to stick to it no matter what happens. I think that's kind of what happened, and just that type of maturity, the things that only come with experience, I guess."

[Re. being a Miami-resident]
"I moved down here after Wimbledon last year. I've been in Bollettieri's for seven years; I spent a year and a half at Evert's. Florida is kind of like my second home... It feels really nice to be driving your car to the courts, sleeping in your own bed, knowing you know everything around. I know the courts so well, I know the conditions and the wind. I have my friends and family, so it's definitely a lot more support."

[Re. nationality]
"I always see myself as French. I mean, this is kind of where I grew up. When I go home, I do call, you know, France 'home' for me. I think America is just somewhere where I can practice and is good for my tennis. Russian, I think, is just in the family."

[Re. Russian-born players]
"We're just really tough, and I think there's a lot of confidence when you're from Russia. You're kind of expected to win, and there's no other solution but to win. So I think, you know, that's why all the Russian girls are doing so well, because it's so natural to win. It's not like something exceptional."

Tatiana's full interview:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=7692641 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=7692641)

------------------
Semi-final preview (as I wrote it at the time)
------------------

Maria v Tatiana promises to be a mouthwatering match. They've played each other (professionally) twice before:
+ Birmingham 2004 final: Maria d. Tatiana, 4-6 6-2 6-1
+ Birmingham 2005 semi-final: Maria d. Tatiana, 7-5 6-1

I had the very great pleasure of attending both matches, and if there's one day in my life that I could relive, it would be that final day of Birmingham 2004 (the Super Maria Sisters won the doubles-title too).

Maria is quite possibly the best exponent of flairsome power. Her groundstrokes are powerful and heavy, yet sharp and flairsome as her soft hands whip through the ball - often on the rise - with immaculate timing. She goes for her shots and makes many brilliant winners. She also has the most amazing passion, intensity, and will to win. Maria is second only to Monica Seles in my eternal fanship.

Tatiana is an intelligent player with a good command of length, who relies on excellent point-construction, rather than sheer pace, to hit a lot of winners. She also has a good serve. She's a member of my casual demi-fanship, and I consider her one of the three leading contenders for possible future induction into my eternal fanship (my passion has already brought me close to inducting Tatiana a couple of times, but my reason requires a stronger justification of her tennis-qualities).

Both girls are currently 18, but Maria's birthday is 19th April, while Tatiana's is 25th January (the same as Maria Kirilenko, who is one year older).

Playing Maria Sharapova seems to bring out the best in Tatiana, even if only for the first set. Both girls hit plenty of winners, and make lovely noises on the court, so their matches are already very entertaining before we consider how sexy they look! ;)

Maria is, IMHO, currently the fourth-most attractive player on the tour (behind Daniela Hantuchová, Jelena Dokic and Iroda Tulyaganova). She's sexy and sophisticated, with long legs and amazing shoulders. Her facial beauty varies greatly, but is better than anyone's when she's really happy: those sunny smiles and very pretty eyes.

I used to find Tatiana even sexier than Maria - not so much now, as she has become more muscular (especially her upper legs). But at Birmingham 2004 she was absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, with her amazing dress-sense (those microshorts!), allied to the way that she sashayed around the court, and her alluring grunt ("uy! uy! UY!"). Since Birmingham 2005 I've only seen her in photos, but photos don't do full justice to her sex-appeal, because they lose the animation and the sound-effects!

Maria: "She's had a really good week here. She's beaten some good players. Just have to keep improving with every match. It's going to get tougher and tougher as you go along in the tournament. I think I played a lot better than I did in my three previous matches, which is a really good sign, and hopefully I keep improving in my fifth. I look forward to improving in the semis, and will hope for the best."

Tatiana: "It is good to get to the semi-final. It's gonna be different situation, different atmosphere, different conditions. I'm just happy to be in the semis. {I'm going/I want} to go out there and just really play my best. I think it's definitely going to be a different match than today because I got nothing really to lose tomorrow."

If Maria and Tatiana both play like they did in the quarter-finals, then it could be a very quick, easy win for Maria.

But Tatiana has nothing to lose, and if she rises to the occasion like she did in their first sets at Birmingham, and against Dementieva here, it could be a very tough match. Tatiana feels very comfortable here as a Miami-resident, and Maria doesn't have the advantage of playing on grass.

They have both dropped one set en route to the semi-finals: Maria against Maria Kirilenko in the fourth round, and Tatiana against Zheng,Jie in the quarter-finals.

So there's a wide spectrum of possibilities... but not many of them end up with "T. Golovin" on the left side of the "d." operator. Tatiana has choked from match-point up in her last three tournaments, and Maria is so strong mentally that she's bound to exploit any such frailties tonight.

----------
Semi-final
----------

Nice winner, nice loser, sad ending:
+ MARIA SHARAPOVA [4] d. TATIANA GOLOVIN [22],
6-3 6-7 (5/7) 4-3 (ad Maria) retired (left-ankle sprain)

I'm very sorry to hear about Tatiana's injury. She limped off the court assisted by two officials, then went to hospital to determine the extent of the damage: two torn ligaments and a bruised bone. This was no way for the biggest semi-final of her career to end, and I wish her a speedy recovery - but more importantly, a full recovery. Tatiana is expected to be sidelined for four to six weeks.

I am relieved to learn that it was Tatiana's left ankle that she sprained, because she struggled with a persistent right-ankle sprain from about May to November 2005 (fortunately, there's no sign of any strapping on that ankle in this year's photos).

It sounds like it was a wonderful match up to Tatiana's fall at 4-3 (40/40). I'm thinking of including it in the big order to Tennis Videos International (http://www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/) that I intend to place in the near future.

Match-report
------------

Steven Wine, AP Sports Writer: "The two feisty 18-year-olds waged the most dramatic match yet at the Nasdaq-100 Open. Sharapova blew a big lead, riled the crowd and won [on] Thursday night only when Golovin was forced to retire in tears because of an ankle injury."

Maria led 6-3 *5-1, then Tatiana staged an amazing fightback, saving four match-points as Maria served for the match again at *5-3!

Steven Wine: "But the situation inspired Golovin to raise her level of play, and she hung on by winning a series of extended rallies to cut the deficit to 5-4."

Maria took a bathroom-break after being broken back to 5-4* (the umpire initially denied permission, then relented), and another one at the end of the second set. She was booed as she left the court and came back on, but the crowd were totally out of line. Going to the toilet whenever you want is an inalienable human right. It would save some time, and having to ask to leave the court, if they just fitted a toilet-cubicle under the umpire's chair.

First Set
SHARAPO _*@*@__*@ 6
GOLOVIN *____@*__ 3

Second Set
SHARAPO *@*@ @____*_ 6(5)
GOLOVIN ____@ @*@* * 7(7)

Tatiana used a drop-shot to go 6/5 up in the tiebreak, then won the set-point against Maria's serve.

Third Set
SHARAPO _* *@*_ 4(ad)
GOLOVIN * *___* 3(40) retired

Tatiana led 1-0* and 2-1* by virtue of serving first, but Maria gave herself a very strong chance of victory by breaking for *3-2, especially as she held for 4-2* to confirm this break.

Tatiana was fine physically as she held for 3-4*, but with Maria facing break-point at 30/40, Tatiana rolled over on her left ankle while attempting to run down a shot into the corner.

Tatiana took an immediate medical time-out and, with the score at 40/40, tried to continue, but the pain was too bad, and she retired after hitting a return wide.

I can't understand why Maria has attracted so much criticism - even from some of my fellow Maria-fans - for not going over to Tatiana's side of the net to show some compassion. Personally, if I were in the position Tatiana was in, the last thing I'd want to see would be my opponent trespassing on my side of the court!

The match had lasted 2h43m and finished at 23:40 EST - 1h15m after Maria's match-points in the second set.

Tatiana left the court in tears, but to cheers from a half-empty stadium, whereas Maria was booed off court (this coming from the same crowd that booed Monica Seles off court after she injured an ankle and lost 6-0 6-0 to Martina Hingis in the Miami 2000 semis). I've never heard of a more disgracefully-behaved tennis-crowd... with two exceptions: (a) Roland Garros, and (b) certain Davis Cup crowds.

Maria quotes
------------

"It's just very unfortunate; I feel terrible for her. She played unbelievable tennis, the best I've seen her play. She just played basically out of her mind in the second set - didn't miss a ball. She was just too good on those long points.

"And it was so close in the third set, and I hit a shot, I turned away, and the next thing I know, the crowd went silent, and I turned and she's on the ground... I did not know what happened until the ankle was being taped.

"She was really unlucky; I feel bad for her. She was probably playing her best tennis, it was amazing, the game started to turn into a physical battle."

[Re. being in the final again]
"In a way it's exciting. Obviously, unfortunate how I got there based on today. But I've played solid tennis. I should have finished it off, of course, but that's not the way it went. But I kind of have to forget about it and {look forward to/get ready for} the final."

[Re. the booing]
"It's part of the sport. It happens everywhere. The crowd needs entertainment."

Great words from Maria, and very encouraging what she says about Tatiana, who might still be the next player I induct into my eternal fanship.

My passion says that if I consider inducting Tatiana then I should also consider inducting Maria Kirilenko, so I think I'll order both this match and the Super Maria Sisters' fourth-round match, to see what my reason says about Tatiana's tennis-qualities and about Little Maria's tennis-qualities...

Tatiana quotes
--------------

"I just overran that ball, after I hit the ball, I felt the pain as soon as I landed on that ankle. We were even, and I've tried to resume the game, but when I felt the pain going through the whole ankle, I realised I could not go on.

"With the tape and adrenaline, I kind of forgot about it. It was deuce and I wanted to give it a try. But then, I could feel the pain on both sides of my ankle, and I just knew.

"I've been playing better in my last three or four tournaments, especially going to three sets against top players such as Amélie [Mauresmo] and Kim [Clijsters] at previous events. Against Maria, I felt like I had another good opportunity. I played solid tennis during this tournament. I had a great win against Dementieva here and tonight, the crowd was amazing.

"In the second set, I just focused more and got my rhythm back. The crowd was amazing and helped me out there, especially when I was down 5-1.

"It's quite a nasty sprain, and two ligaments are torn. I'll need to keep a cast on for ten days, and then there will be quite a lot of physio."

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)

rik du chesnay
Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:23 PM
allez tati