PDA

View Full Version : Confidence In Lindsays New Coach?

DENNYLEG
Mar 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I know it is a fairly new season and Lindsay has only played a few tournaments so far but she has not had great results up to this point.Do you think this has alot to do with getting a new coach and adjusting to him and trying new and different strategies on the court. I had mixed feelings when she let Adam Peterson go because she was winning many Tier I and Tier II titles the last few years and got the #1 ranking but on the flip side,Lindsay didnt reach her ultimate goal,which was winning another major.Although she was in the finals,of The Australian Open in 2005 and Wimbledon as well and came within a point of winning Wimbledon. I thought a new coach might be good for her and this new coach might help her with her confidence and attitude on the court,which has hurt her in the past.So far,maybe I cant see the change in the construction of points,from when Lindsay had Adam to having David now but the strategy seems the same,attack first and paint the lines with bullets,from both wings.Also,I dont see a change in Lindsays attitude and confidence.In todays match with Martina, Lindsay came back from a set down and cruised in the second set and had the momentum,going into the third set but she seemed to unravel,as a call,at a crucial moment, went against her in the fourth game of the third set and made. In addition, Lindsay made so many unforced errors,in crucial situations.She didnt seem very positive out there in the third set and mentally lost it with that call.Can any coach help Lindsay with this problem? She has done so well at this tournament over the years, both reaching and winning the finals.It is disappointing that Lindsay lost in the fourth round,although Martina is a higher quality opponent,than her ranking shows and that is only due to the fact that,Martina has not played in a few years.Finally,do you think the injury to Lindsays back had anything to do with the way she played today? Lindsays winding down, with her career and another coaching change, is highly unlikely but up to this point,in the season,do you think it was a good move for Lindsay to change coaches?

RJWCapriati
Mar 15th, 2006, 02:46 AM
well..... i'm not sure how much we should blame the coach.....Lindsay has been playing a very long time and I think could be without a coach and be very successful!!

funkydynamo
Mar 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM
No, I think Lindsay did the right thing changing from Adam to David. Adam got her so far, but she needed someone else to help get her over the line. The results will come, if she can get a decent run without injuries.

mike/topgun
Mar 15th, 2006, 12:45 PM
There's no doubt the injury "had soemthing to do" with that loss.
She's not keen to play and win tier II events anymore. She desperately wants that GS title. The new coach could do nothing bout her attitude and confidence when she's feeling uncomfortable on court now with her back problems. We saw in Melbourne - till the ankle injury crept in - she was fired up...then she felt that the ankle problem won't allow her to beat JHH and evantually she lost (next had to withdraw from Tokyo). Same thing here...but she said the back was bothering her since Dubai, so it's not a new case. I was predicting this before this season that if her body doesn't hold up she's not going to do well...We could not see much of the work they've put in cos of Lindsay's physical problems. :tape:

funkydynamo
Mar 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Exactly. When she's hurting, her interest in winning goes out the window. I think she losses confidence in her body going the distance and when she can't serve properly or really move properly it makes it hard to win a tennis match.

I really believe in Lindsay and that she can get over the line at Wimbeldon or US Open this year. The thing that is standing in her way is her body more so than her lack of heart or a bad attitude that some people refer to. If she's injury free her attitude is positive and she's focussed; its when she gets an injury, even a small one, she loses focus, gets angry at herself and a "I don't think I can do this" attitude creeps in.

Well she can do it ... and she will. Just wait and see!

mike/topgun
Mar 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I noticed that f.e. Andrew has a very critical view towards Lindsays attitude - he's like - "give 100% or don't play". Of course he's right but when did the "attitude thing" appeared? When she was injury free in 2004 summer she was positive then the thigh strain before USO semi...Even earlier in her careere when injuries begun to creep in (98-2001) this was the case. Her body is a wreck after all those injuries and she's not that young either to recover in no time like Kim. Look at JHH - she's never had any serious injury that affected directly her movement - like muscles, ligamnts or bones structure...but when she's not 100% fit she loses to Danilidou in Wimbledon's 1st rd just after winning RG.
Injury's a thing that would bother every player...
Some off the player have more luck other have less of it. How many caereres of talented young players was stopped by INJURIES.
Lindsay's been having less luck lately. :tape:

GrandSlam05
Mar 15th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Lindsay's been having less luck lately. :tape:

I agree. I mean we hear everyone say "play thru injuries" and all that crap, but it's easier said than done. If I was in the twilight of my career I don't think I'd want to play thru pain when I'm basically playing for the icing on the cake anyway. It's not worth it. I just hope by June she's injury free and can go on at least one more great run.

punk
Mar 15th, 2006, 05:13 PM
At the moment i'm a bit dubious about the decision but give it time Lindsay has been injured for most of this year. Adam did a great job on Lindsay's technical game look how he improved her forhand and fitness but he lacked tactics and motivation in key matches and that's why Lindsay hired David he's famous for getting peoiple reved up so hopefully it will prove the right move on Davenport's part. Just give it time

jonnymac
Mar 16th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I have to say I was so dissapointed with Lindsay yesterday vs. Martina. I think she had every reason to control that match from the start of the 3rd set and as usual it became a mental battle. Not sure if anyone agrees with me, but I don't think Lindsay has looked the same and with the same fire in her eyes since her painful Wimbledon lose to the pain in the ass Venus, who had to stop Linds for what could have been a beautiful moment. (NOT BITTER OR ANYTHING haha) I just don't see the same confidence and really am unsure as she drops in the rankings and takes time off, if this will spiral in the wrong direction and eventual be the end. I really hope she can pull herself out of this and find that fire again, as well as get healthy. Not sure how she is feeling injuries as she has played 3 tourneys this yr. Not sure what ill do if Linds is gone and cap is out, could be very painful couple of yrs. :(

Lindsayfan32
Mar 16th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I still think it was a great move. Adam took her so far. David will take her to the next step. She has had a charmed run with injuries the 18 months so before the wimbledon final last year. What I want to know is this the same injury of last year or something new. Keep faith in Lindsay if she get injury free again and hopefully it will happen by Wimbledon she has a great chance at that one last great run in her if not it could mean retirment sooner rather than later.

funkydynamo
Mar 16th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Absolutely, don't lose faith now Lindsay fan. She knows what she has to improve on to win the elusive 4th slam, and she knows that David can help her get over the line. Now if only her damn body would cooperate.

I get the feeling the back never fully recovered from wimbeldon. Could be wrong. Just different comments that i've read make me think that its been an ongoing battle.

mike/topgun
Mar 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I've posted before that the back problem probably troubled her since Wimbledon final...The bulging disc - I'm quite sure it's a result of that injury which preveiled her - along with great performance from Venus - from winning Wimby. The truth is when you injure your back sooner or later it's going to come back...worse.

tennisboi
Mar 16th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Adam took Lindsay to a point and now it's David's job to take her to the next level so she can win slams again just give it time

GrandSlam05
Mar 16th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I have to say I was so dissapointed with Lindsay yesterday vs. Martina. I think she had every reason to control that match from the start of the 3rd set and as usual it became a mental battle. Not sure if anyone agrees with me, but I don't think Lindsay has looked the same and with the same fire in her eyes since her painful Wimbledon lose to the pain in the ass Venus, who had to stop Linds for what could have been a beautiful moment. (NOT BITTER OR ANYTHING haha) I just don't see the same confidence and really am unsure as she drops in the rankings and takes time off, if this will spiral in the wrong direction and eventual be the end. I really hope she can pull herself out of this and find that fire again, as well as get healthy. Not sure how she is feeling injuries as she has played 3 tourneys this yr. Not sure what ill do if Linds is gone and cap is out, could be very painful couple of yrs. :(
I think you're right. It's like Lindsay doesn't put her whole heart into big events anymore against the top players because she knows how bad it can hurt when she plays well and loses (like it did at Wimbledon), so she goes in with this "I don't give a crap" attitude. Sort of like a mental pre-emptive strike to keep her from being too sad if she loses. Problem is she's never going to win a big event with that attitude.

lindsayno1
Mar 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM
some of you guys are taking this way out of proportion. If she was healthy, then fair enough, but shes not. That changes things a little. Probably explains why she played unimpressively in Dubai aswell.

GrandSlam05
Mar 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM
some of you guys are taking this way out of proportion. If she was healthy, then fair enough, but shes not. That changes things a little. Probably explains why she played unimpressively in Dubai aswell.
The only qualm I have with that is that she is demolishing lower-ranked players and there are no signs of injury and then she faces a top player and just falls apart or is streaky as hell. :shrug:

mike/topgun
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
What's presumably the difference between playing against Harkleroad or Granvile and playing a 5 time GS Champ?...I'm asking, becouse I don't know if your serious?
Didn't Lindsay give her best in the second set Vs Hingis? Martina played great and she's one of the best players out there atm along with JHH, Sharapova, Clijsters, Mauresmo etc. When you're not 100% physically you' re not able to compete against those players in 3 sets(or your name's Serena Williams;)). Remember AO 1/4 Kim Vs Martina...Clijsters nearly lost that one...

GrandSlam05
Mar 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM
What's presumably the difference between playing against Harkleroad or Granvile and playing a 5 time GS Champ?...I'm asking, becouse I don't know if your serious?
Didn't Lindsay give her best in the second set Vs Hingis? Martina played great and she's one of the best players out there atm along with JHH, Sharapova, Clijsters, Mauresmo etc. When you're not 100% physically you' re not able to compete against those players in 3 sets(or your name's Serena Williams;)). Remember AO 1/4 Kim Vs Martina...Clijsters nearly lost that one...
No, I expect her to beat Granville more comfortably than Hingis obviously. What I mean is that she keeps the momentum against players like Granville, but not against top players. She had all the momentum going into the 3rd set against Hingis and the same with Sharapova in Dubai, but she just lost it.
Take Kirilenko for example. Lindsay could've easily gotten down on herself after losing the 2nd set, but she refused to be beaten by a lesser (in her mind) player and fought through.
She just has a totally different attitude when she knows she's going to be challenged by a top player. I think that's why she's so consistent in getting to the semis and quarters, but then when she faces a top players then Lindsay plays differently. Just my 2 cents.

mike/topgun
Mar 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
So, we've kinda the same view on her attitude GrandSlam05. If something is bothering you while fighting back a "lesser player" (like Kirilenko f.e.) then your "pride" doesn't allow you to lose? or it's easier to turn the match on your favour? I mean both...no doubt about it.
It's easier - or more tolerable - to lose to a great Champ, who's eventually playing superb match than falling down to some Granvilles(no offence).
I guess here's your change GrandSlam05.
I agree that Lindsay's fighting spirit is "down" when she is feeling uncomfortable, not confident with her body.
Once again - it's almost virtualy impossible, to keep on fighting against the best players out there when you're not 100%.
Or, am I being naughty?

funkydynamo
Mar 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Think about it guys. I work with people in customer service. When i'm sick, there is no way that i do my job as well or have as good a attitude as i do when i'm healthy. I don't want to be there when i'm sick, and the more effort required the less like i am to do my job properly. For a sportswoman the case would be the same.

Also Lindsay's injury didn't appear to hamper her as much in the early rounds because she was taking on lower ranked players who require less energy, movement and strategizing for her to beat. When she gets deeper in the draw the opposition improves and requires more from her body and her mind. The move she moves the more she hurts. Hence the reason that she "appears" to us to be injury free and of positive attitude in the early rounds, but we see her struggle in the later ones.

She's human and just like us ... but that's why we love her