PDA

View Full Version : Henin-Hardenne def. Pironkova 62 62

Europe rocks
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Looks like Justine is going for another title here!

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I hope JHH enjoys that win because I really don't see her getting past Aiko in the next round.

ghosts
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM
91 minutes - Tzveti's fighting spirit was there but everything else she left home :(

wasn't aggressive at all and Henin beat her with some old-fashioned shots :o

Vaidisova
Justine:yeah:

Dexter
Great job Justine :worship:
Allez!

Hard luck with that draw Tzveti :sad: :hug:

The Daviator
Good game Justine :yeah:

shap_half
Allez Justine!!! Keep it going!

eck
:woohoo:
Pretty impressive win.
Pironkova...
What's there to say?
At 5-1 down in the first set you only won 5 points on both 1st and 2nd serves. :tape:
Bad luck
Congrats Ju :)

K.U.C.W-R.V
Decent performance from Justine.

turt
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Well done :worship:

pcrtennis
Pironkova was a flash in the pan, this was an expected easy win.

jochem
I don't know how she played.... good win anyway especially against a player she never played before... equally impressive as Lindsay's double bagel. I really think if both women stay healthy it will be Henin-Hardenne vs Davenport final. Outside Maria Sharapova I don't really see any other player beating the top seeds. Go Justine!!!!

Dexter
I hope JHH enjoys that win because I really don't see her getting past Aiko in the next round.funny :)

LDF
Well done Justine :yeah:

Justine hit 27 winners to just 6 by Tzveti.
Justine hit 3 more UEs, with 25 to 22.

For Justine: 1 ace, 3 DFs, 58% of first serves in.

Spunky83
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Hehe...one and a half hour.

The scoreline surely doesn´t show the fighting spirit of Pironkova. On the other side it was funny and interesting to see Justine trying to come up with the weirdest and hardest shots sometimes.

Almalyk
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Better luck next time Tsvetana!

Justine Fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I hope JHH enjoys that win because I really don't see her getting past Aiko in the next round.

Now why would you not see the no. 3 in the world do that?

Ty-Ty
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Expected. Do better next time Tzveti.

pla
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah, an hour and a half.. Tzveti fought but Justine is just toooooo good. The bad thing is it's just a second round match. I hope Tzveti learned a lot from this as she did from the first match against Venus ;)

Aide Tzveti, ern some cash this week, and good luck in Miami (try to have a better draw :fiery: )

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
funny :)

Thanks ;)

Justine Fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM
pcr tennis

Are you going to answer my question as to why you can't see JHH beating whomever it is she's going to play next?

goldenboi356
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Outside Maria Sharapova I don't really see any other player beating the top seeds.

don't forget elena..she's in juju's half ;)

eck
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:54 PM
pcr tennis

Are you going to answer my question as to why you can't see JHH beating whomever it is she's going to play next?

No need to get impatient :angel:
What matters is that she won. :worship:

arn
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
The scoreline surely doesn´t show the fighting spirit of Pironkova. On the other side it was funny and interesting to see Justine trying to come up with the weirdest and hardest shots sometimes.

Justine was experimenting?

blumaroo
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Justine played well. She really went for her forehands.
Pironkova was too defensive. She reminded me of a defensive Golovin most of the time. Hitting hard but in the middle of the court. It's enough to beat lowerranked players but she needs to be more aggressive to beat the top.

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM
pcr tennis

Hahahaha...I was joking around ;)

Settle down :o

Justine Fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:59 PM
No need to get impatient :angel:
What matters is that she won. :worship:

I'm not getting impatient eck, I just thought as they'd just posted, I'd remind them of my question. I just want to know his reasoning as to why, that's all!

But from what I can see .... I don't think they have an answer :lol:

I wonder why? ;)

Justine Fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Exactly - that's what I thought - something in between experiment and practice! :worship: :worship:

tard~tard
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Exactly - that's what I thought - something in between experiment and practice! :worship: :worship:

Could you elaborate on the experimenting part Justine Fan,
or anyone else please?
In which way exactly do you think she was experimenting?
(I didn't see the match, had to follow it on the scoreboard)
Thanks.:)

UDACHi
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Long match. Great try, Tszveti. :worship:

Marshmallow
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Hahahaha...I was joking around ;)

Settle down :o

You'll have to excuse my dear Friend Justine Fan; he is challenged when it comes to spotting humour and sarcasm alike. Poor thing.

:)

Marshmallow
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Good effort Tsvetana. The scoreline is a tad bit misleading in my opinion, because many many games were very close and going to Deuce.

Keep your head held high.

Well done Justine. Great player, and where hardwork and fight are concerned, a good example. Shame about other stuff...

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Justine :hearts: :D

Justineladivine
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Could you elaborate on the experimenting part Justine Fan,
or anyone else please?
In which way exactly do you think she was experimenting?
(I didn't see the match, had to follow it on the scoreboard)
Thanks.:)

IMHO it wasn't so much experimenting as trying to get into her groove. On her own site they underline she made some gross errors (as she often does in her first matches).

flyingmachine
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Well Done Justine.:yeah:

Lady
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
pcr tennis

Was it a really nassasary question?
It was an obvious joke, and even if it wasn't... People aren't allowed to have different opinions anymore?

Anyway, well done Justine. The cinditions sucked big time with the wind.
In the end Justine rushed so much just to finish it.
But Tzveti is a great fighter. :D

Lady
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:42 PM
IMHO it wasn't so much experimenting as trying to get into her groove. On her own site they underline she made some gross errors (as she often does in her first matches).

I think the eind had a lot to do with it, sometimes she just didn't get the footwork right as the ball changed direction. And sometimes she was just lazy to adjust. ;)

msharafan
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
yeah justine started off great but in the second set a few ue creeped in, but still good dominating win i can see her getting to the final but i see either maria or lindsay taking her out!

Justineladivine
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think the eind had a lot to do with it, sometimes she just didn't get the footwork right as the ball changed direction. And sometimes she was just lazy to adjust. ;)

Yeah, this is always the fearsome part about her, she's got much leeway so she's generally able to pull through those first rounds but she tends to be frightfully lackadaisical at times in the said moments

Justine Fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Was it a really nassasary question?
It was an obvious joke, and even if it wasn't... People aren't allowed to have different opinions anymore?

Anyway, well done Justine. The cinditions sucked big time with the wind.
In the end Justine rushed so much just to finish it.
But Tzveti is a great fighter. :D

If you would have read my other post, I asked him this question because I wanted to know more about his opinion and his thoughts. Am I not allowed to ask questions? Also, if it was a joke, why didn't he put a :) or :lol: next to it?

~Carsten~
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I saw it on Eurosport, a good match from Justine!
Congrats

Justine Fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah, this is always the fearsome part about her, she's got much leeway so she's generally able to pull through those first rounds but she tends to be frightfully lackadaisical at times in the said moments

I think she just gets bored with matches like that. You're right, she gets lacksadasical and tends to go of course. She needs matches which really challenge her and psyche her up and I think she could tell form the beginning of the match that it wasn't going to be a big challenge, so she tends to not charge herself up so much. I feel she also loves the big crowds a la Dubai final etc and that also urges her on.

What do you think?

selyoink
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Good work Justine.

Justine Fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
You'll have to excuse my dear Friend Justine Fan; he is challenged when it comes to spotting humour and sarcasm alike. Poor thing.

:)

Firstly, I am not your friend.

Secondly, I can spot humour and sarcasm (you spew a lot of sarcasm when it comes to Maria), I am not familiar with pcr so wouldn't know if he was being humourous or not. Now I've seen a few of his posts, I will know for next time.

I'm not the one on here that everyone slags off, you are, so there's no need to call me poor thing! :haha:

Poor thing!

Justineladivine
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I think she just gets bored with matches like that. You're right, she gets lacksadasical and tends to go of course. She needs matches which really challenge her and psyche her up and I think she could tell form the beginning of the match that it wasn't going to be a big challenge, so she tends to not charge herself up so much.

This is what I always find scary with her, however good you may be you're never immune to a bad surprise

[/QUOTE] I feel she also loves the big crowds a la Dubai final etc and that also urges her on.

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Well, like most great players she's got her favourite tournaments. Charleston, Dubai and Berlin have so far been very inspirational to her. Plus she's always said she gets more inspiration and fire from finals but we'd better not get started on this, given what happened recently... I mean I don't want to start off another mad party on this forum.

Louis Cyphre
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Also, if it was a joke, why didn't he put a :) or :lol: next to it?
why you dont use your brain?

eck
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:18 PM
This is what I always find scary with her, however good you may be you're never immune to a bad surprise

She loves to scare us doesn't she? :devil:
My fingernails are all chewn up because of her. :(
I love the moment in the match where she hit her first ace and followed up with a DF. Lovely. :hearts: :kiss:

Spunky83
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:21 PM

She didn´t treat it like a practice match that would be too much and unfair towards Pironkova, however it was noticable that Justine tried to mix up a lot and today she basically hit every shot she can do, lots of inside outs, extreme cross court backhands with a lot of spin on them, bunch of slices, a drive volley forehand a metre in front of the baseline (Federer does that pretty often) and especially at the end of the match she came up to the net more often and there were some mistakes but it really seemed to me as if she was trying to see if those shots worked. It was interesting to follow.

loppy
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM
6-2, 6-2 :bounce:

Not a bad scoreline for a first match after much delay!

Lady
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:41 PM

Well, like most great players she's got her favourite tournaments. Charleston, Dubai and Berlin have so far been very inspirational to her. Plus she's always said she gets more inspiration and fire from finals but we'd better not get started on this, given what happened recently... I mean I don't want to start off another mad party on this forum.

I wish I could send you a PM with few my thoughts, cause i can't reply via reputation as you turned them off. ;)

Conservative
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:43 PM
To be honest, was anyone on here a Pironkova fans on here before she upset Venus?

Sounds like a lot of people suddenly became a big fan of her since.

tard~tard
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
She didn´t treat it like a practice match that would be too much and unfair towards Pironkova, however it was noticable that Justine tried to mix up a lot and today she basically hit every shot she can do, lots of inside outs, extreme cross court backhands with a lot of spin on them, bunch of slices, a drive volley forehand a metre in front of the baseline (Federer does that pretty often) and especially at the end of the match she came up to the net more often and there were some mistakes but it really seemed to me as if she was trying to see if those shots worked. It was interesting to follow.

Thanks for the report Spunky! Phew, I was nervous for that first
match -- as for all her first round matches.

@Justineladivine : I should make a habit of first reading the French
version on her website, before I go to the Dutch section (or just skip
the latter), because the French version is more up to date and the
translation from French to Dutch isn't always entirely correct.
Anyway, thanks for answering my question.:)

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Allez!!! The Boss wins again!

UDACHi
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:24 PM
To be honest, was anyone on here a Pironkova fans on here before she upset Venus?

Most of the Bulgarian posters were. :)

But in my own and the other new Pironkova fans' defense, I became a fan because it was the first time I had seen her play and thought she played a wonderful match and loved her fighting spirit. Now, if I were to give up on her the next time she lost a match, I'd give you good reason for your post. But some of the people who have liked her since then, such as myself, plan on supporting her for quite a while.

bgbgbg
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:27 PM

:o

why don't you look at her cheering thear http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=107378&page=1&pp=40 - to see when it started and how many posts were there before the match vs. Venus
:rolleyes:

DragonFlame
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM
good first round match for justine, she seems to be getting back on track :bounce: :)

RJWCapriati
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:33 PM
easy win :yeah:

Mightymirza
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Justine...Really solid today..Great win....Now roll through ur draw...

Wsisters45
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Allez!

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:35 AM
who does she play next

TennizFan
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:42 AM
who does she play next
... Aiko Nakamura

Junex
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Justine!!!!!!

Modiac.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Match Highlights and Interview:
Henin-Hardenne vs Pironkova(Low quality) (http://www.atpmastersseries.tv/page/media/0,,~,00.asx?path=zzf%3A//ngc.ivqrb.cerzvhzgi.pb.hx/ngc/NGC/cnpvsvpyvsr06_fhaqnl/NGC_VaqvnJryyf06_Uvtuyvtugf_UneqraariCvebaxbin_yb. jzi)
Henin-Hardenne vs Pironkova(High quality) (http://www.atpmastersseries.tv/page/media/0,,~,00.asx?path=zzf%3A//ngc.ivqrb.cerzvhzgi.pb.hx/ngc/NGC/cnpvsvpyvsr06_fhaqnl/NGC_VaqvnJryyf06_Uvtuyvtugf_UneqraariCvebaxbin_uv. jzi)

Justine's Interview after match (http://www.atpmastersseries.tv/page/media/0,,~,00.asx?path=zzf%3A//ngc.ivqrb.cerzvhzgi.pb.hx/ngc/NGC/cnpvsvpyvsr06_fhaqnl/NGC_VaqvnJryyf06_Vagreivrj_Uneqraar_uv.jzi)

morningglory
Mar 13th, 2006, 03:11 AM
:sad: ahhh well... you put up a good fight... we'll be seeing more of you later, Tsvetana :yeah:

Mightymirza
Mar 13th, 2006, 03:25 AM
yeah saw the highlights...Justine was just awesome..And that forehand of hers :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: Amazing stuff..Good net play too..Tsveti cudnt do anything...Allez justine... :worship: :worship:

tennisrox
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Allez Justine!! Thanks for the highlights. :worship:

Brett.
Mar 13th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Well Done Justine!
Bad luck Pironkova - you have done your best and hopefully you get a better draw in Miami!

mimosa
Mar 13th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Well Done Tzveti!
This is a good experience for you.

arn
Mar 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Thanx for the highlights and the report :)

Well done Justine, keep it up :)

Lulu.
Mar 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Has Pironkova done anything special since beating Venus?

xXSarajevoXx
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Tzveti :(

skanky~skanketta
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
go juju!

Corswandt
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM
The outcome of the match was never in doubt, and Pironkova might well have walked out with at least a bagel if JHH didn't step off the accelerator when she felt she had the first set in the bag. Like Fed, JHH steps up her game when she needs to, and then goes back into cruise speed so as not to waste her strenght unnecessarily in these early rounds.

JHH plays so well that it makes her many haters’ task all the more difficult. Some say her shot variety (slice, topspin, volleys, supersonic flat shots when they are needed) is her best weapon – it’s one of her major strengths, I agree; her variations in play aren’t as flashy as Mauresmo’s, but since JHH hits a bit harder, particularly with her forehand, they end up being just as effective. But I think JHH’s biggest strength is the fact that, of all the players who mix mobility with firepower, she’s the one who has the tactical sense to nearly always selects the most appropriate moment to take the initiative and hit a hard forehand or step forward and finish off a point with a crosscourt winner. Clijsters is too defensive and will let many opportunities pass, Kuznetsova is too aggressive and will try to hit a winner too early and eventually lose the point with a needless UE. JHH is aggressive as well, and makes a few UEs here and there, but nothing that will cost her a game, let alone a set or a match. Having a very dependable net game also helps (it got worse as this particular match went on and Pironkova also started hitting her passing shots properly, but nothing serious).

The pundits, presumably in awe of her perfect backhand (I never played tennis, so that kind of technicality eludes me), forget to mention JHH’s weaknesses, that nonetheless are there: the serve is erratic (I’m saying this based on the AO, not on this match, since the wind was at times so strong it was impossible to serve properly), and she’ll never earn that many free points off it; a bit like Schnyder, she will on occasion miss a shot completely or hit a UE that goes out by miles (maybe when she’s trying to put spin on the ball?); she hits very hard when she has time to reach the ball and prepare her shot but can be put on the defensive by a more powerful player who hits consistently deep shots (fortunately for JHH, she moves very well and defends even better).

The first time I saw Pironkova play, I didn’t acknowledge how much her game resembled Lena’s (something other people immediately noticed at the time), but now I see her almost as a Brunette Dementieva. Even if her game wasn’t consciously modeled after Lena’s, there are some similarities: she’s tall and powerfully built; her groundstrokes, particularly the backhand, seem quite similar to my untrained eye; she’s very consistent, giving away few free points; she’s an excellent returner of serve.

If there are differences, the causes for those lie, IMO, on their distinct builds: Pironkova’s legs are somewhat shorter and her torso longer. If she bulks up her upper body, she can hit her groundstrokes even harder, and become one of the heaviest hitters on the Tour; her shorter legs explain why her mobility is adequate rather than good (though she seemed to improve as the match went along, as did the rest of her game), whereas mobility is one of Lena’s main weapons.

Her highly unconventional serve isn’t as much of a liability as it could be, but it’s hardly an advantage either.

Her main weakness is her almost total lack of shot variety and net game. It wouldn’t hurt her to use her powerful groundstrokes a bit more aggressively - on a number of occasions when she was totally in control of the point and JHH’s defensive shots were coming short, she would return them with low-risk shots rather than blasting them away, and then immediately withdrew back to the baseline.

Porcupine
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Allez Justine :)

Belco
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM
She loves to scare us doesn't she? :devil:
My fingernails are all chewn up because of her. :(
I love the moment in the match where she hit her first ace and followed up with a DF. Lovely. :hearts: :kiss:

:lol:

alibaby
Mar 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Well Done Justine!
Bad luck Pironkova - you have done your best and hopefully you get a better draw in Miami!
true,yes!she impressed me mostly with her attitude(tsveti..)many give a match away,when they are 4-0 or so.but tsveti pushed herself all the time!respect.a good indication for the future.courage can take you very far...

and for ju-ju:what can you say,she did,what she had to do.and she did it well.
allez,my justine-baby!! :bounce: :kiss: