PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there should be any 5 set match at any Grand Slams for women?

Brett.
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I heard about this last year and they were saying that there will be 5 set match on women's tour so............... i thought it was a good idea so you can enjoy yourself on the couch (or else) watching these womens playing much longer!

What do you think?

ZAK
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM
No. Maybe for the finals or something, but it would mostly be very boring

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:42 PM
What about Henin..?Considering she has already difficulties to finish matches in 3..

Blonde_Ambition7
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:43 PM
no, 5 sets gets boring IMO. and it would probably lead to more withdraws

:inlove:
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Longer matches = more injuries.

And we certainly don't need more injuries in tennis right now! :awww: :banghead:

CJ07
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I think 5 set finals aren't a bad idea. It'd prevent these lopsided finals.

And if you're not fit enough to play, then you shouldn't be out there.

Rachel_
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
What about Henin..?Considering she has already difficulties to finish matches in 3..

:haha:

njnetswill
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Best of 5 for finals of GS and Tier 1's maybe. It's not like these girls dont train for several hours regularly before.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I'd have 5 sets in GS finals & YEC finals.

vogus
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:23 PM
womens best of 5 set finals is not a bad idea for GS, YEC, and Tier 1 events.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
sorry the women arent physically capable of 5 set matches.
it would be a terrible idea
but then again it might make them train to be much more fitter than they are right now, cos in their current fitness levels, no way.

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:35 PM
best of 5 is boring enough in men's game :zzz:

it's especially bad when you notice tanking from players in order to save energy for the next set :tape:

RJWCapriati
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:35 PM
No, I think the men should also play best of 3

meyerpl
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:37 PM
No, I think the men should also play best of 3
Ditto

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM
best of 5 is boring enough in men's game :zzz:

it's especially bad when you notice tanking from players in order to save energy for the next set :tape:

It's depends on the player on court!Have you seen Federer-Nalbandian in Shanghai?? Wonderfull!!

henmanhill
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM
It would help the argument for equal pay.

tennisboi
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Women just don't have the stamina of men so this would be a stupid move by the wta

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Women just don't have the stamina of men so this would be a stupid move by the wta

Agree,I don't want to have to guess who's the girl who will give up the first!!

ceiling_fan
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM
think of the injury and heatstroke...

NO!

Chrissie-fan
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I think that with the proper training the girls would be able to do it as far as stamina is concerned, after all, they run marathons, compete in triatlons, etc... But it would increase the chance of injuries, and we already have enough of those. But it would be possible to come up with a kind of inbetween idea, like play best of five set matches but get rid of the advantage points. So, in case of a 40-40 score, whoever wins the next point wins the game. That way they could play exciting five set matches without sets that last for 75 minutes.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I'd have 5 sets in GS finals & YEC finals.

agree with ya. maybe also semis of YEC

henmanhill
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I really don't think that the women are so weak that they couldn't manage to play the best of 5 in the slam finals. Even in the extremely unlikely event that the same two people reached the final of all the slams it would only be 4 potential five-setters a year.

ceiling_fan
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM
OK, they might have the stamina to play it out ... YES.

But i think the quality of play would decline due to their loss of energy and stamina, does anyone agree???

micha
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I'd say 5 sets would be a good idea since both players would still have a possible chance to win and the match wouldn't be so predictable.

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:30 AM
No, it's biological.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:33 AM
NO..they should take the 5 sets away for the men aswell. You would get more people to watch matches :bounce:

lucashg
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Big fat NO.

Mark Spruce
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Big HUGE NO

Martian KC
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Poor Elena Dementieva.:p

FaceyFacem
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:42 AM
i really loved it when they did 5 sets for the YEC final...that steffi v. martina final in 1996 was so dramatic...i loved it, even though it was hard watching martina cramp so badly, so i wish they would keep it at the YEC final, that's enough for me

Solitaire
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:43 AM
First off female tennis players can handle 5 setters. Some people in this thread think these players are weaklings. It doesn't matter what sex u are if ur not fit u can't play a 5 setter and most of the girls on the tour are fit. YEC use to have a 5 set final and I thought it was pretty cool. So I'd go for Tier 1 and GS finals.

As for the men they should only play 5 setters in MS finals and quarterfinals onward in GS.

meggz_star
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:49 AM
OK, they might have the stamina to play it out ... YES.

But i think the quality of play would decline due to their loss of energy and stamina, does anyone agree???

:worship:

fammmmedspin
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:49 AM
YEC 5 set finals were good matches except when a two set mismatch became a three set one. The 5 setters though might end up looking like the Steffi -Anke one though where they alternated sets playing well until Steffi took the fifth.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I would love to see a best 3 out of 5 sets final for the YEC again.
The winner of the YEC gets a pretty hefty paycheck for winning the YEC.
Its a year round competition yes but you know the regulars will always be there. Lindsay, Amelie, Maria, Kim, and Justine (when she feels like playing).
Its a nice added incentive for them.
I dont see why these girls cant play one 5 setter to get the biggest paycheck per amount of days played on the womens tour.

selyoink
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:10 AM
No. I think the quality of play would be terrible if the matches were 5 sets long. There is already too many poor quality matches in best of 3. Adding the possibility of more sets isn't going ot help.

ceiling_fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:25 AM
I'd say 5 sets would be a good idea since both players would still have a possible chance to win and the match wouldn't be so predictable.

THat's the thing. I'm generalizing here but...

in 3 sets, the better player would win. But in the men's 5 setters, there's more chance of an upset because it's more about who has the moment in which set. I wouldn't want the women's to be like that, even if it was just the finals.

micha
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:32 AM
oh well, scrap the 5 sets idea, tho it would have been interesting to see a change.

pav
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:54 AM
It wasn't that long ago they said women could never run a marathon. I think 5 set finals of slams and YEC would be a good idea, how often do you see a doodle swinger lose the first two sets and then go on to win the match? quite a lot, well if they were luscious women and down two sets they would be dragging their sorry asses back to the locker room. There is always the chance they would lose in 3 sets of course.(all this for everyone except momo, two set is quite enough time for her to be on public display)

Volcana
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Certainly in finals

parn2257
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:15 AM
that idea was very suck!!!
come on 5 set. they are women not a car that can run forever.
and let face it even if they will have to play 5 set, it will not be a fun match to watch.
they would walk to the ball!!

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I don't think there should be. But if there had to be some, it would certainly be in Wimby!

Drimal
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Hell nooo! :devil:

I think men shouldn't be playing five sets at Grand Slams too. ;)

And with 5 set matches for women Wimbledon would never be finished on time! :rain: :silly:

Tripp
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:42 AM
I consider men and women equal beings. Therefore, I believe that women can play 5 set matches. Come on, some of the girls out there are just not fit.

Yes, it would take much more effort for them. But then the quality would improve big time.

If a man can do it, then a women can do it too, and making them play shorter matches is a way of saying they can't do it, which is wrong.