PDA

View Full Version : Will the Williams Sisters Show at Miami?

LH2HBH
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:14 PM
The Williams Sisters - will they show at Miami? It's really debatable at this point! They've only played 4 matches between them and the clay court season is already upon us!!! Discuss....

DemWilliamsGulls
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:07 PM
If they dont show...i wont watch it..

tennisjay
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:31 PM
If I was the WS I would just sat the rest of the season out they have nothing to lose at this point.

RJWCapriati
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I think Venus definitely will, don't know about Serena

Rachel_
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I really hope Rena comes back soon! I miss her Alot!

sunset
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM
If they dont show...i wont watch it..

I rest my case.

ceiling_fan
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:52 AM
they should. its mandatory right?

well i hope they do...
don't forget their historical come-backs

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:57 AM
I rest my case.

What case? :lol:

Diesel
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:13 AM
If I was the WS I would just sat the rest of the season out they have nothing to lose at this point.

Odd that you would think this. Sitting out the year does nothing for them in the long run especially if injury is not the cause and regaining their top spots are their priorities.

tennisbum79
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Odd that you would think this. Sitting out the year does nothing for them in the long run especially if injury is not the cause and regaining their top spots are their priorities.

Add to that, the age. Venus will be 26 soon, and Serena 25.
In women tennis, that is already on the down slope of one's career.

With Serena's body type and frequent injury, it may become harder to get herself into Serena-standard shape we have come to know in the 2002-2003.

Brooklyn90
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I belive they both will play, they need to play! Tennis is boaring and nothing with out them.

Diesel
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Add to that, the age. Venus will be 26 soon, and Serena.

With Serena's body type and frequent injury, it may become harder to get herself into Serena-standard shape we have come to know in the 2002-2003.

The age, fitness, and injuries are all factors as to why repititon becomes a must. As long as they want to be competitive they will have to do and not just want; sitting out if not due to injury won't work in gaining more success. I'm all for short breaks due to injury and taxing themselves, but they have to be in the game as well.

tennisbum79
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by tennisbum79

The age, fitness, and injuries are all factors as to why repititon becomes a must. As long as they want to be competitive they will have to do and not just want; sitting out if not due to injury won't work in gaining more success. I'm all for short breaks due to injury and taxing themselves, but they have to be in the game as well.

Just to clarify, I did agree with your original post arguing that sitting out the
year was not a good idea.

Brooks.
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I think at least one of them will show. No idea which one. Hoping Serena to be honest.

Diesel
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by tennisbum79

Just to clarify, I did agree with your original post arguing that sitting out the
year was not a good idea.

I realized you agreed with my initial post. I was adding on to the subject at hand.

Wiggly
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:41 AM
They will be in Miami for a pre-event party at least, I hopes they will play :bounce:

tennisboi
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Venus is a maybe but I serioulsy doubt that Serena will attend as she is quite unfit at the moment

tennisIlove09
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:57 AM
If one will, I think it will be Venus.

Diesel
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:57 AM
This whole argument that Serena is not quite as fit, where does it make a difference in whether she'll be back sooner or later? I ask because clearly at the Australian Open, Serena was not as fit as we'd like to see her or as fit as we're used to seeing her but she did make it out of the first round. So it goes to show that with her fitness she truly is remarkable, but her will dictates her play to a point as much as her fitness.

drake3781
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I have some questions:

1. How much net worth does each sister have right now? Is it enough to support them for the rest of their lives (notwithstanding other income they may earn later as celebrities) and to support the type of lifestyle they are living?

Or do they need to play more, to earn more to maintain their lifestyle?

2. When they decide to stop playing, what is their exit strategy?

I think they will need to find an exit strategy that allows them to leave gracefully and if not on top, somehow as heroes/idols, to support their future career as professional celebrities.

If they leave tennis losing what they used to be winning, with no explanation, and out of shape, that's not going to support those future goals.

I suppose their advisors are looking into these matters now, taking from the pages of other players-turned-celebrities like AK.

3. Or are these questions way off base and too early to be asked, and the sisters are both training hard and still have the drive to play now and to get back on top as their first priority? Over parties, celebrity events, and all other choices.

Anybody have some insights into what is going on and what are their priorities at this point? Not looking for or interested in defensive/attack responses but from people who may truly know what's going on and what we might see the remainder of the year and any changes that may be coming.

***I just remembered another post about a major announcement that was going to be made... the information was shot down by a lot of people but just wondering if it has passed or not. Was it about the WS and if who was it one or both? And when was that announcement supposed to come?

40-0
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:27 AM
nasdaq is a preview of what is gonna happen to venus for the rest of the year, she does well there, i hope she does this year!

fammmmedspin
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:43 AM
I have some questions:

1. How much net worth does each sister have right now? Is it enough to support them for the rest of their lives (notwithstanding other income they may earn later as celebrities) and to support the type of lifestyle they are living?

I think they will need to find an exit strategy that allows them to leave gracefully and if not on top, somehow as heroes/idols, to support their future career as professional celebrities.

If they leave tennis losing what they used to be winning, with no explanation, and out of shape, that's not going to support those future goals.

I suppose their advisors are looking into these matters now, taking from the pages of other players-turned-celebrities like AK.

3. Or are these questions way off base and too early to be asked, and the sisters are both training hard and still have the drive to play now and to get back on top as their first priority? Over parties, celebrity events, and all other choices.

Anybody have some insights into what is going on and what are their priorities at this point? Not looking for or interested in defensive/attack responses but from people who may truly know what's going on and what we might see the remainder of the year and any changes that may be coming.

***I just remembered another post about a major announcement that was going to be made... the information was shot down by a lot of people but just wondering if it has passed or not. Was it about the WS and if who was it one or both? And when was that announcement supposed to come?

What does motivate people at that level? Its obviously not love of playing or the tour with the sisters or they would play more and travel more. Is it GS wins - but why does it matter if you have 7 or 8 - particularly as your target person in the great lists Monica has an enormous asterisk next to her 9? 22 or 24 GS is simply out of sight - is it worth playing a year to possibly get one nearer? With Lindsay you can see why one more would round off her career, Martina wants the French, Momo has a point to prove, Mary is enjoying herself, Maria has a career to get going. Justine is fiercely competitive. kim would like more than one before she retires. For them its seems easier?

FaceyFacem
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:46 AM
i expect them both to go there, neither has skipped miami in their career unless there were dire circumstances...if serena and venus both want to commit fully mentally and physically, there is no reason they can't contend at wimbledon/us open this year, it's just up to them at this point

The Kaz
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Let face even if they do show up i dont see them goin' far. Serena being unseeded will be lucky if she reaches the 3rd or 4th round. Venus i think will make to at least the 4th round but no further than quarters - i think

hotandspicey
Mar 12th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Let face even if they do show up i dont see them goin' far. Serena being unseeded will be lucky if she reaches the 3rd or 4th round. Venus i think will make to at least the 4th round but no further than quarters - i think
Stop thinking!!! ;)

hablo
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:02 AM
I hope they show up and do well (just not against my fav :devil: ) :bounce:

Lulu.
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I believe they both will be there ready to play and I have a feeling one of them will win it

Reuchlin
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I have some questions:

Very thoughtful post :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Martian Stacey
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:38 AM
I'm sure Venus will play, but i don't know about Serena.

If she does play, it'll be interesting to see who she draws in the first round :hehehe:

Williams-forever
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I'm sure Venus will play, but i don't know about Serena.

If she does play, it'll be interesting to see who she draws in the first round :hehehe:

Maybe she'll draw Hingis :devil: That would be amazing :eek:

jj74
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I think they must return to the circuit but only if they are fit enough, they need to make a come bak in style

Sinnet
Mar 12th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Would they give Serena a top 10 seed or something in Miami given her past success, or is she going to go into the tournament ranked 40?

santhuruu
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I hope they are there, because I am having a real borring life without the Williams sisters playing, I am always at home and almost no one of my school envites me for parties and stuff like that. But when the Williams sisters were there I felt extremely happy. Now I feel really sad, I hope I can get to see them play:angel:

jenny161185
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:01 PM
has serena issued any statements etc lately I know she wanted to let her knee fully heel but it seems like its been a long time......

tennisbum79
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I hope they show up and do well (just not against my fav :devil: ) :bounce:

That is what my heart is telling me, but my head says otherwise.

I don't think they are match ready. And I suspect their current physical and mental readiness after such a long time w/o a competition is there.

Hopefully, if she does well, Venus will bring Mlle Mauresmo to reality.:D
...And establish order on the WAT tour.
Or is just wishful thinking?

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'll be really worried if at least one doesn't show up :scared:

tennisbum79
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I think they must return to the circuit but only if they are fit enough, they need to make a come bak in style

Forget about style.
Just put in the work and dedication it takes and come back before it is too late.

drake3781
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I hope they are there, because I am having a real borring life without the Williams sisters playing, I am always at home and almost no one of my school envites me for parties and stuff like that. But when the Williams sisters were there I felt extremely happy. Now I feel really sad, I hope I can get to see them play:angel:

Santhuruu, you will have to find ways to make your own life interesting! Please don't rely on the WS or anybody else.

Please explore the world, enjoy life, and take advantage of your young years!!

new-york
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I so want Venus on court.

Paneru
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Yes, both sister will be there.

Venus' elbow is better.
Serena working on fitness.

And I share your sentiments Drake.
Don't rely on or put that on anyone else
to make your life worth something.

Your life is what you make of it.

Kabezya
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Forget about style.
Just put in the work and dedication it takes and come back before it is too late.

Coming back in shape and healthy is a form of style. It shows they have put in the work and dedication as well as taken the time to heal.

tennisbum79
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Coming back in shape and healthy is a form of style. It shows they have put in the work and dedication as well as taken the time to heal.

If that is how you undestood it, I am all for it.
But I did not understand the original post that way.