PDA

View Full Version : Did ESPN cancel their Sunday coverage?

ZAK
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I think so, its not on their schedule anymore. They were supposed to start at 1PM tomorrow

Vaidisova
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah it looks like they'll be showing the World Baseball Classic instead. Typical ESPN. :o

meggz_star
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Coverage starts Monday at 2pm :mad:

thesupernova
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

ZAK
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I'm dissapointed because its soooo much easier for me to watch on the weekends

PLP
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Yes, I can't believe this!! What idiots!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I was really looking forward to seeing some intersting 3rd round matches...Did Agassi and Roddick lose already? They are such nationalistic and chauvinistic pigs, that's the only reason I can think of that they would cancel for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH! :fiery:

K-Dog
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Coverage should start at 4 pm Eastern on ESPN2. It is for 4 hours.

Ty-Ty
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Yea. I think they just moved the time up two hours.

PLP
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:03 PM
It isn't on the ESPN2 schedule at all anymore...

K-Dog
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Actually I found something new. ESPN2 gave its Sunday coverage to TTC on Sunday beginning at 2 pm eastern time. Sorry for the faulty info!!

Ty-Ty
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:11 PM
That's not what like, three other t.v. listings say.

Oh well. I'll just wait till' tomorrow to see.

K-Dog
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:17 PM
That's not what like, three other t.v. listings say.

Oh well. I'll just wait till' tomorrow to see.

I looked on MensTennisForums.com and found that out. I believe it. Baseball (no matter how unimportant it is) takes top priority over tennis. Baseball is WAY more boring to watch than tennis and I prefer the athleticism tennis offers more than baseball. (you'll find out if you deal with me on a day-to-day basis that I am ALWAYS promoting tennis and challenging the other athletes at my school to who's sport is more athletic) GOOD OLE ESPN!!! NOT!

tennisjay
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM
If the tour continue to go down I think espn and other TV networks my get rid of it's tennis comverage all together.

pcrtennis
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
If the tour continue to go down I think espn and other TV networks my get rid of it's tennis comverage all together.

If it continues to go down? What are you talking about?

These kinds of changes are made from time to time, it's not a signal of more things to come...

RJWCapriati
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:36 PM
OMG, how dare them!!

UDACHi
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:37 PM
TTC's covering it tomorrow? Well, here's to more men's tennis on Court 2. :retard:

tennisjay
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:06 AM
If it continues to go down? What are you talking about?

These kinds of changes are made from time to time, it's not a signal of more things to come...

Believe me until womens tennis get more exciting it going to continue to get bumped. That's why in the following wks will be seeing more men's tennis than we care to see.

UDACHi
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Why is men's tennis more exciting?

TF Chipmunk
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:13 AM
It's not.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Because Jim Courior commentates :lol: :lol: :p

PLP
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Believe me until womens tennis get more exciting it going to continue to get bumped. That's why in the following wks will be seeing more men's tennis than we care to see.

Wow...no no not at all. Women's tennis is more exciting IMO but TTC and ESPN both prefer to show men's tennis, always have...though ESPN did do a good job at the AO, mostly because of Hingis and all the American men lost early...I just don't think it should be that way...Just because because I'm American doesn't mean I would rather see James Blake than Nadia Petrova, for instance, so I hope all the American men lose early :devil: and Martina is still in the tournament so by the time ESPN gets around to showing IW I can see some women's matches!!

selyoink
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Dammit! I was looking forward to watching tennis for the first time since the AO tomorrow. I guess I can study for a test instead. How fun.

tennisjay
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Wow...no no not at all. Women's tennis is more exciting IMO but TTC and ESPN both prefer to show men's tennis, always have...though ESPN did do a good job at the AO, mostly because of Hingis and all the American men lost early...I just don't think it should be that way...Just because because I'm American doesn't mean I would rather see James Blake than Nadia Petrova, for instance, so I hope all the American men lose early :devil: and Martina is still in the tournament so by the time ESPN gets around to showing IW I can see some women's matches!!

I think if the WS were there ESPN would show more women's tennis, like it or not they are the ones who made tennis more popular. I like petrova too but face it most people in the US don't know who in the H*ll she is. I bet you one thing you will get more than your share of Maria S. matches thought.

PLP
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I think if the WS were there ESPN would show more women's tennis, like it or not they are the ones who made tennis more popular. I like petrova too but face it most people in the US don't know who in the H*ll she is. I bet you one thing you will get more than your share of Maria S. matches thought.

I think if Venus and Serena had made it farther in Australia it would have been all women all the time, which would have been great :D ESPN loves Sharapova too, I forgot to mention that...& I am hoping that their love affair with Hingis doesn't abruptly end. You're right about Petrova...even if Nadia wins a GS this year, it probably wouldn't change much (as far as her being covered on ESPN...they are really thick :lol: )

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM

They don't choose theur scheduling as the year progresses based on what players are playing and how "exciting" it is. Coverage is planned way ahead of time and this weekend the Baseball Classic is still being covered and so they made a change, it has nothing to do with the "excitement level" of women's tennis. You're making alot out of nothing... :rolleyes:

Scotso
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Men's tennis is far superior to women's tennis right now.

WBC :woohoo:

harloo
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I see Sunday coverage still scheduled on ESPN2 on my direct tv menu.

Martian KC
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Isn't the tennis channel covering Sunday's coverage now?

minihil
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I think ESPN2 is still showing tennis today. The baseball is actually covered by ESPN Deportes. That's what I just heard on ESPN2. But not sure whether they'll show women matches though. It starts at 4pm ET.

Linnie
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM
They have it listed as:

Mar. 12 ESPN2's Telecast of The World Baseball Classic Is presented by Taco Bell

Andre Agassi vs. Paul Goldstein
Indian Wells Tennis Garden Indian Wells, CA USA

4:00 pm to 7:00 pm

:lol: :p

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM
On the Pacific Life Website, they don't show any ESPN2 coverage until Monday.

tennisbum79
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I think ESPN2 is still showing tennis today. The baseball is actually covered by ESPN Deportes. That's what I just heard on ESPN2. But not sure whether they'll show women matches though. It starts at 4pm ET.
I saw the 4:00pm time slot on mt TV program as well.

star
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:18 PM
And I'm getting TTC tomorrow :o

ZAK
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
If they do show tennis at 4pm it will probably be Hingis

TennizFan
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
They have it listed as:

Mar. 12 ESPN2's Telecast of The World Baseball Classic Is presented by Taco Bell

Andre Agassi vs. Paul Goldstein
Indian Wells Tennis Garden Indian Wells, CA USA

4:00 pm to 7:00 pm

:lol: :p

I am expecting lots of homeruns from Agassi :tape: :lol:

WimbledonGreen7
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM
i just checked TVguide and it says ESPN is showing tennis today at 3pm for 240 minutes

the cat
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM
ESPN's television schedule says they are showing tape delay tennis from Indian Wells on Monday March 13th between 2am and 5:30am.

ZAK
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM
ESPN's television schedule says they are showing tape delay tennis from Indian Wells on Monday March 13th between 2am and 5:30am.

Mine doesnt say that

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Mine says it will be on 4:00pm EST showing Agassi...It didn't say that yesterday!

Tennace
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Mine says 4 PM today and hopefully Sybille will be shown against Hingis!

UDACHi
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Mine says it's on 4-8 PM and 2-6 AM.

ZAK
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:52 PM
no tennis

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I wonder if they're holding the Hingis match until 3 so ESPN can show it.

LeonHart
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM
WHy is the tennis channel showing some match on court 2 rather than Hingis on stadium court?!?! This is soo retarded.

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah they showing the stupidass "Baseball CLassic" instead...too bad...

Derek.
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM
:mad:

No Name Face
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:07 PM
bleh :fiery:

harloo
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:08 PM
ugh! I wanted to see Andre. I changed my plans to watch the match. I'm so pissed!:fiery: :mad:

UDACHi
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Pathetic.

tennisjay
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I told you they wouldn't show womens tennis on espn. Until the WS comeback we won't be seeing tennis on major networks for awhile.

Leo_DFP
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Those lying shitheads.

Simplicity
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
:o

Derek.
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
:rolleyes: So far ESPN's coverage of IW has sucked. Wait, there hasn't been any coverage to start with. :fiery:

Simplicity
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
If the Williams Sisters don't play, most Americans don't care :shrug: :tape:

ZAK
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM

Most Americans wouldnt be watching in the first place

UDACHi
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM

That is extremely incorrect.

meggz_star
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:14 PM
ESPN SUCKS :fiery: :mad:

UDACHi
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'm assuming/hoping it's still on at 2 AM?

Simplicity
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Most Americans wouldnt be watching in the first place
:o

tennisjay
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM

True, most Americans want to watch the WS lose to some unknown player so they can say, see I told you those girls weren't good tennis players, anything to down play their greatness. Tennis will never be the same while the WS are gone. Without the WS tennis would just be a boring white person sport, it would return to the days of Chris Evertt no athleticism at all.

Simplicity
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM
True, most Americans want to watch the WS lose to some unknown player so they can say, see I told you those girls weren't good tennis players, anything to down play their greatness. Tennis will never be the same while the WS are gone. Without the WS tennis would just be a boring white person sport, it would return to the days of Chris Evertt no athleticism at all.
:eek: I agree, it would be very boring, and would lack diversity. :wavey: If it weren't for the WS I wouldn't know who Steffi Graf, nor tennis for that matter-is! :tape: :o

Leo_DFP
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:21 PM
It says they will show something on tape from 1 am - 5:30 am EST.

Simplicity
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:22 PM
It says they will show something on tape from 1 am - 5:30 am EST.
:yawn: Who will be awake then?! :rolleyes: :mad: Stupid ESPN! :o

tennisjay
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I could careless if they show IW or not I'm just waiting for Miami. Where the real tennis will begin.

PLP
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM
That is extremely incorrect.
Thank you...I am so tired of people assuming I only want to watch Serena and V...I was really looking forward to Hingis thumping Bammer...AAAAAAAAAAAAH! ESPN sucks so much!!! :fiery:

GogoGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Hey All,

I am outraged at both ESPN an TTC. I disagree that the Williams' sisters would/should gain more coverage. I think the powers that be are clueless - unworldly - biased - unintelligent - stupid and some more stuff as it pertains to women's tennis. I am going to shoot off two emails to the losers. And don't think that is just us that are annoyed and perturbed about this. Surely, fans of womens' and tennis period are outraged about this TV coverage and have already shot off emails about their feelings on yesterday.

I mean these knuckleheads must be smoking something to show us all of these womens' matches on schedule - but intentionally only show the men's matches.

We all should send off emails showing our disgust and outrage - and I mean all of us to include fans from other countires that wouldn't be able to see it anyway. I mean really!

It would serve these clueless folks right if their ratings went south - and when studied after this weekend - they reliaze that they would have had more folks tuned in if there showed a couple of women's matches.

Again - don't think we are alone. I suspect hundreds have been sending in emails. What they are doing is showing their bias and chauvinistic side and tudes - indeed. This treatment is almost unbelievable. Many of us want to see the women! They will be getting an earful from me in a few.

How's that for a rant?

No Name Face
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:29 PM

agreed

njnetswill
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Even the "World Baseball Classic" would get better ratings than early round matches of tennis people. Maybe not in California or Florida, but in most places in the country tennis is not a sport that people have any real interest in.

tennisjay
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Hey All,

I am outraged at both ESPN an TTC. I disagree that the Williams' sisters would/should gain more coverage. I think the powers that be are clueless - unworldly - biased - unintelligent - stupid and some more stuff as it pertains to women's tennis. I am going to shoot off two emails to the losers. And don't think that is just us that are annoyed and perturbed about this. Surely, fans of womens' and tennis period are outraged about this TV coverage and have already shot off emails about their feelings on yesterday.

I mean these knuckleheads must be smoking something to show us all of these womens' matches on schedule - but intentionally only show the men's matches.

We all should send off emails showing our disgust and outrage - and I mean all of us to include fans from other countires that wouldn't be able to see it anyway. I mean really!

It would serve these clueless folks right if their ratings went south - and when studied after this weekend - they reliaze that they would have had more folks tuned in if there showed a couple of women's matches.

Again - don't think we are alone. I suspect hundreds have been sending in emails. What they are doing is showing their bias and chauvinistic
side and tudes - indeed. This treatment is almost unbelievable. Many of us want to see the women! They will be getting an earful from me in a few.

How's that for a rant?

You need to understand that espn is doing the right thing, why should they show some matches of unknown players we know nothing about. I am pleased with espn for doing the right thing that will give them more viewers and wait until Miami to give everybody what they want GOOD TENNIS. As I said before tennis is dying in the US because the WS are getting back at the WTA for all the disrespect they showed the WS and their father.

Know how's that for a rant?

GogoGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I don't think this boils down to the sisters. This boils down to the powers that be satisfying the fans. No one can convince me that I along with countless of others wouldn't tune in to watch women's matches. Women's tennis will never cease to exist because the sisters aren't playing.

This boils down to poor management of this particular tourney point blank - and as it pertains to TV coverage. And it boils down to some in the biz thinking that the mens' matches are more important than the womens. Point blank!

Surely, Mary - Mary Jo - Pam, BLJ, Chris E., Tracy A., and other female commentators would love to see a women's match this weekend. Wonder how they are feeling?

ZAK
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Even the "World Baseball Classic" would get better ratings than early round matches of tennis people. Maybe not in California or Florida, but in most places in the country tennis is not a sport that people have any real interest in.

But if they showed it more and promoted it better, there would be more interest. Nothing is set in stone

GogoGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
tennisjay - we all have the right to our opinions. Forget ESPN - and let's just concentrate on TTC. I mean - they will be covering this tourney until 12:30 A.M. EST.

I also disagree that this has anything to do with the sisters - and to insist it does is an insult to the other WTA players. The sisters aren't getting back at nothing. Because if that were the case - then we wouldn't see any women's matches period at this tourney. So if we do - how are the sisters getting back at jack? We will see the women eventually - but they should have scheduled some of their matches even steven to the mens.

njnetswill
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
But if they showed it more and promoted it better, there would be more interest. Nothing is set in stone

You're talking about Americans here. The biggest thing this country got out of the Torino olympic games was the snowboarding because it is the only thing left where Americans dominate. :tape:

Derek.
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:48 PM
We just have to accept that tennis isn't a premiere sport in the U.S. Knowing that, I don't know why TTC doesn't make themselves available everywhere in the U.S. so that true tennis fans such as us, not casual ones, can see tennis when we want it. :(

Meesh
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM
ESPN SUCKS :fiery: :mad:

My thoughts exactly. I got all my stuff done today so I could watch some tennis this afternoon. Even if it was mens tennis.

ZAK
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM
You're talking about Americans here. The biggest thing this country got out of the Torino olympic games was the snowboarding because it is the only thing left where Americans dominate. :tape:

Yes, I'm talking about Americans, if you promote any crap correctly you'll get viewers

Derek.
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM
My thoughts exactly. I got all my stuff done today so I could watch some tennis this afternoon. Even if it was mens tennis.

Men's tennis is better than no tennis.

njnetswill
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Yes, I'm talking about Americans, if you promote any crap correctly you'll get viewers

Americans aren't going to watch foreign athletes on TV. :wavey: The casual ESPN viewer would rather watch Mardy Fish than Roger Federer.

Cam'ron Giles
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Well...there goes ESPJEN...:lol:

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Americans aren't going to watch foreign athletes on TV. :wavey: The casual ESPN viewer would rather watch Mardy Fish than Roger Federer.

That's not true, people know Federer...no one, noooo one knows Fish...

Derek.
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I agree. People would watch Federer over Fish.

PLP
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM
:fiery: None of this really matters...The POINT is that they had it on their schedule, in fact it was still on the schedule in my area and then at some point within the last few days they put this inane Baseball crap on instead!!! There were many players today that are 'worth' showing, even if you are one to believe Americans only want to watch Americans (BS IMO) Agassi/Goldstein, Roddick, Davenport, the Frazier/Perry match, Sharapova/Raymond...Oh I forgot Maria isn't actually American AND Mardy Fish AS WELL AS the story of the WTA this year, Martina's second coming, and finally Federer and Nadal...so no excuses, they suck beyond words, the end.

selyoink
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:02 AM
To think Americans would watch Fish over Federer is ignorant. The only way any casual American fans would know Fish is if they remember him from the Olympics. Other than that Fish would be a complete nobody.

UDACHi
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:16 AM
:fiery: None of this really matters...The POINT is that they had it on their schedule, in fact it was still on the schedule in my area and then at some point within the last few days they put this inane Baseball crap on instead!!! There were many players today that are 'worth' showing, even if you are one to believe Americans only want to watch Americans (BS IMO) Agassi/Goldstein, Roddick, Davenport, the Frazier/Perry match, Sharapova/Raymond...Oh I forgot Maria isn't actually American AND Mardy Fish AS WELL AS the story of the WTA this year, Martina's second coming, and finally Federer and Nadal...so no excuses, they suck beyond words, the end.

I agree with your post, but while Maria isn't American, Lisa is, so it doesn't matter. ;)

Dawn Marie
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Americans are not going to watch the WTA Indian Wells on ESPN if no Williams Sisters are not in the lineup. V@S are great for tennis. Many people love to see then win and play hard and some enjoy seeing them lose and still play hard. People love them and they love to hate them.

ESPN and Indian Wells tourney is going down the tubes. Indian Wells is losing money and prestige. the tourney just isn't what it used to be. ESPN is not going to cover womens tennis because V@S are not there to help bring others in to watch the others players in lineup. Jen isn't around either. no help at all. Davenport isn't enough eyecandy. Masha will get on tv soon. Probababy tonight.

I am looking forward to seeing Monfils,Nadal and Federer and Hingis in a later round.

Miami is when the real tennis party will get started. MIAMI ROCKS OVER THE LIFE OPEN.

PLP
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Americans are not going to watch the WTA Indian Wells on ESPN if no Williams Sisters are not in the lineup. V@S are great for tennis. Many people love to see then win and play hard and some enjoy seeing them lose and still play hard. People love them and they love to hate them.

ESPN and Indian Wells tourney is going down the tubes. Indian Wells is losing money and prestige. the tourney just isn't what it used to be. ESPN is not going to cover womens tennis because V@S are not there to help bring others in to watch the others players in lineup. Jen isn't around either. no help at all. Davenport isn't enough eyecandy. Masha will get on tv soon. Probababy tonight.

I am looking forward to seeing Monfils,Nadal and Federer and Hingis in a later round.

Miami is when the real tennis party will get started. MIAMI ROCKS OVER THE LIFE OPEN.

Seriously, you are wrong and there are many of us in this thread who are American, and still up in arms about this, so...we obviously would have been watching on TV :mad: instead of following along on the livescoreboard...ESPN has known for a long time neither sister was playing IW so if what you say is true, why not just cancel every tournament that the sisters AREN'T confirmed for...oh wait, there goes the WHOLE season! :fiery:

Simplicity
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't watch tennis if Venus and Serena aren't playing :shrug: Well, maybe to see Sharapova get her arse torn up, but nothing else, sorry. Just too boring :yawn:

tennisjay
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Seriously, you are wrong and there are many of us in this thread who are American, and still up in arms about this, so...we obviously would have been watching on TV :mad: instead of following along on the livescoreboard...ESPN has known for a long time neither sister was playing IW so if what you say is true, why not just cancel every tournament that the sisters AREN'T confirmed for...oh wait, there goes the WHOLE season! :fiery:

"why not just cancel every tournament that the sisters AREN'T confirmed for...oh wait, there goes the WHOLE season"

I know you were just kidding, but to be honest I think most major networks are going to be cutting there tennis coverage sooner or later espically when viewers stop tuning in because the lack of good tennis. You can put all the eye candy you want of TV if it's not entertaining you can forget it. The WS bring excitment to tennis that no other tennis player bring. Every year when IW rolls around the first question that is asked is will the WS show up knowing they want but it is always that hope from tennis fans of the WS, hater, sports writers, and tennis commentators that they will.

Wsisters45
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't watch tennis if Venus and Serena aren't playing :shrug: Well, maybe to see Sharapova get her arse torn up, but nothing else, sorry. Just too boring :yawn:

:rolleyes:

ZAK
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:56 AM

I'd hope you'd watch Tati!

venusfan
Mar 13th, 2006, 03:23 AM
As an American and a tennis fan "not casual" I would rather watch Fish over Federer. Yea, Federer is the #1 player but just not interested. I was in switzerland a week during the olympics and the coverage was night and day compare to the coverge over here in the states. There were at least 5 channels covering the olympics and they showed EVERYONE. I watched EVERYONE skated in the figure skating competition from start to finish live which we would never see over here.

Our sports channels have too much original programming if you ask me.. I would rather watch sports than watching 12 hours of sportscenter a day. ESPN is only good for college football and basketball if you ask me. I say give all the coverage to The Tennis Channel except for Slams and we would be happy. Imagine getting coverage like the Tennis Channel Open a couple weeks ago. I love the tennis channel.

Anyway, I'm not too interested in tennis now though.. Williams sisters are not playing so not interested.. MARCH MADNESS IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solitaire
Mar 13th, 2006, 03:35 AM
The less tennis ESPN shows the better. Just give up the rights and let TTC handle things. Their dedication to tennis is evident in how they manage things. Granted their coverage has improved over the years but thatís not saying much.

PLP
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM
"why not just cancel every tournament that the sisters AREN'T confirmed for...oh wait, there goes the WHOLE season"

I know you were just kidding, but to be honest I think most major networks are going to be cutting there tennis coverage sooner or later espically when viewers stop tuning in because the lack of good tennis. You can put all the eye candy you want of TV if it's not entertaining you can forget it. The WS bring excitment to tennis that no other tennis player bring. Every year when IW rolls around the first question that is asked is will the WS show up knowing they want but it is always that hope from tennis fans of the WS, hater, sports writers, and tennis commentators that they will.

I really think that many people overestimate the importance of Venus and Serena, and I am a fan of theirs: Tennis players come and go, no matter how great they are...they leave a hole and then it is basically filled by younger talented players who are hungry to win and prove themselves, but I do not believe that ESPN NOT showing tennis today had anything to do with them not playing IW. The network probably got their wires crossed because they are idiots...baseball is supposedly the most popular sport in America, blah blah blah

On V and Rena though: Do they bring excitement? Of course they do! Do I want to see them play? Hell yeah! Will I not watch if they aren't playing? Hell no! & the tought of not watching because they aren't playing is absurd to me. If they withdraw or lose early in Miami the tournament will go on...P

PLP
Mar 13th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I can't believe it baseball is actually over and they are showing...Tennis??? I am in shock and awe of the great gods of ESPN2 who have chosen to bless us with...well men's matches, but it's a step in the right direction, P