PDA

View Full Version : Make IW a one-week event!

Andy T
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM
This last week has been the most useless and boring one, tennis-wise, since the beginning of the year - just the IW qualies and a handful of first matches of the leading players - a total waste of 6 days in the WTA tour calendar!

Let the men have a two-week event there if they wish but by making IW a one week event (starting on Sunday, if necessary) the WTA would recuperate a week which they could use to:

insert a new tournament into the schedule...........or
move the early season later (and thus extend the off-season)...........or
move the later tournaments forward..............or
get the 1R of the FED Cup over and done with........or
have an official week's break.

What do you guys think?

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Well it basicaly is for the top 32 players :p

Meesh
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I guess I look at it as a break for my favorites to get some down time... rest before they hit the Miami heat!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
dont agree,

this gives players some some days off in between matches (well it was supposed to if it didnt rain).
having a one week event would mean 6 matches in 7 days. (no byes if they make it a 64 draw)

WTA were the 1st ones to move to a 2 week event, the ATP followed suit 2 yrs ago.

ZAK
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM
The first week is quite a nice break for players with busy schedule

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 11th, 2006, 07:17 PM
The first week is quite a nice break for players with busy schedule

And a nice chance for the lower ranked players to win some matches at main tour level :D :bounce:

Andy T
Mar 11th, 2006, 07:19 PM
dont agree,

this gives players some some days off in between matches (well it was supposed to if it didnt rain).
having a one week event would mean 6 matches in 7 days. (no byes if they make it a 64 draw)

WTA were the 1st ones to move to a 2 week event, the ATP followed suit 2 yrs ago.

If they start on the Sunday, they'd have 8 days. Only the finalists play six matches and in almost all non-slam tournaments (including other tier 1 events) the quarters, semis and final are on consecutive days, so it wouldn't make that much difference.

The players could still take the week before as a break if they wanted to and even the finalists would have at least 4 days before their first match in Miami.

tennisjay
Mar 11th, 2006, 07:28 PM
This last week has been the most useless and boring one, tennis-wise, since the beginning of the year - just the IW qualies and a handful of first matches of the leading players - a total waste of 6 days in the WTA tour calendar!

Let the men have a two-week event there if they wish but by making IW a one week event (starting on Sunday, if necessary) the WTA would recuperate a week which they could use to:

insert a new tournament into the schedule...........or
move the early season later (and thus extend the off-season)...........or
move the later tournaments forward..............or
get the 1R of the FED Cup over and done with........or
have an official week's break.

What do you guys think?

You know I never thought about that, as much as I dislike IW I would love to see it go to a 1wk tournment and I think the players and the fans would love that.

drake3781
Mar 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I don't understand. There is a LOT going on this week and it is very interesting; a lot of great matches. I suppose if someone is only iterested in soemthing that a top player may be doing, there is not so much happening, but there are MANY players in WTA and everything cannot be decided based on top 10. Why not cultivate interest in mid-ranked players instead?

tennisjay
Mar 11th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I don't understand. There is a LOT going on this week and it is very interesting; a lot of great matches. I suppose if someone is only iterested in soemthing that a top player may be doing, there is not so much happening, but there are MANY players in WTA and everything cannot be decided based on top 10. Why not cultivate interest in mid-ranked players instead?

You name one person who is interested in a bunck of Mid-ranked players other than Serena or Hingis that fan want to go and see, I don't know to many people who want to spend hundreds of their hard earn money see a bunch of no name players show off their cute outfits because thats all they will be doing.

Nickk
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I absolutely agree.

It's a total waste of time.
Chance for minor players or not, that week could be used so much more efficiently.
I hope they dump it soon.

PLP
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I think there are very few players who have a right to complain about the long season at this moment. Only a few of them have played more than 2 or 3 tournis and the season has been going on for 21/2 months!!! Amelie, Martina, Nadia and a few others are the only players who are on track at playing a 'full' season at this point and I don't hear them complaining(yet :lol: ). Of course, the season IS too long, no question about that, but one week at IW is not going to fix the problem. IMO there is a need for

1. a few less Hardcourt tournaments leading up to RG, a bit more clay

2. then a longer period before Wimby and a few more grass warmups

3. & a good 2 1/2 to 3 month break for the players

Unfortunately the WTA doesn't really seem to care about the players much. P

alfajeffster
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I've been a proponent for moving the U.S. Open to the Indian Wells Tennis Garden for a couple of years now. It's the best big tennis event staged in America- not only fan friendly, but player friendly at the same time, and the weather is predictably outstanding for tennis, which is rare in this tennis world. Why not go the other direction and make it the two-week major it's potential deserves? The USTA and Slew Hester have proven over the years that tradition is a fickle friend, so why not let the sunshine?

Solitaire
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:51 AM
^ :lol: The fans weren't too friendly when they booed Serena. I don't mind it being two weeks cause all of my favs aren't top tenners. So I'm still entertained the first week as are many other people. The thing that I don't like is it being a combinded event. The WTA gets the shaft in these kind of tournies expect for the GS.

pcrtennis
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Bad idea, I disagree.

wateva
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:27 AM
firstly there were complaints of an over packed schedule.
now u want to make it worst by making a 2 week tournament into one. what next?
make all grand slams into one week? :retard:

drake3781
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:36 AM
You name one person who is interested in a bunck of Mid-ranked players other than Serena or Hingis that fan want to go and see, I don't know to many people who want to spend hundreds of their hard earn money see a bunch of no name players show off their cute outfits because thats all they will be doing.

I know you must be a guy, and here is something else I know, you are a terrible lover :lol:

You like everything short and sweet, get down to business, but you might try letting it start out slow... get a little more interesting as it goes, plan some extra time for some extra special things, really enjoy the process instead of focusing on the results, and then when you finally get to the end it's gonna be so good because of all that went into it and how much you enjoyed it along the way.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Well you do have to consider that in the next 5 years if Miami continues to be a mandatory event, that Indian Wells will continue to pay because of it.
It will probably be a Teir II in about 5 years (if it lasts that long) so this idea isnt as crazy as it seems.
I can see this tourni being shortened to a week and a 48 field draw.
The tourni could start on Sunday as said before.
To compensate for the players who use this tourni as a opprortunity to play perhaps their only WTA tourni in the entire year, Scottsdale could be used as a Teir IV or Teir V site.

Carmen Mairena
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
And a nice chance for the lower ranked players to win some matches at main tour level :D :bounce:

:worship: