PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cronin: Shuai hates Nike, Glatch picks up Lindsay leftover Adam Peterson

pierce0415
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:33 PM
FROM THE PACIFIC LIFE OPEN IN INDIAN WELLS – China's Shuai Peng, who took a tight 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 match over France's talented yet erratic Stephanie Foretz on Thursday. After she fell to Peng in San Diego last year in her only lost in the summer hard courts, Kim Clijsters declared that Peng would soon become a Top 5 player. She hasn't yet (she's fallen to No. 60) and the reasons why are too exhaustive to go in detail:

The abbreviated version

She spent a good part of last year battling with her provincial team and national federation as to who should coach her, how much money she should give back to government and federation, what clothes she should wear, where she should train, etc. She's a very independent sort who spent a fair amount of time training under in Delray Beach and got a taste of freedom, on court and off. As a result, she's the most promising player of a fair-sized lot of solid Chinese players, reaching a career high No. 31 last year, the highest ever for a Chinese player.<LI class=body_copy>After the Chinese Olympics last year, her province stopped paying her coach. She was forced to play in the Chinese national games on four different occasions last year, and was tired of being told where and when she could play. Consequently, she threatened to quit the national team, but eventually she and the federation worked out a deal where she pays some of her own expenses and hires her own coach, but the federation will pay that coach. <LI class=body_copy>The Chinese national tennis team has a deal with Nike for clothes and shoes and Peng doesn't seem to thrilled with her outfit. <LI class=body_copy>Peng hasn't played since the Aussie Opens because she had some corns on her feet removed and couldn't walk for five weeks. She also got sick.
She's now traveling with the rest of the Chinese national team and is no longer working out in Florida.
She teared up considerably when talking about the emotional turmoil she went through with her federation last year. She wants to move on, but doesn't feel like she will progress in a big way unless she finds a new coach whom she can relate to and, of course, whom the Chinese Federation can afford.

Peng did say she will play Fed Cup for China this year and compete in the '08 Olympics in Beijing.

"I don't like to talk about the last two months," said Peng, who still is without a coach. "I just want to move ahead."

She is a terrific ball striker who needs to improve her movement and serve in a big way, but if she can find some peace of mind, she should crack the Top 20 this year. But, if she can't work out her troubles at home and develop a situation she is comfortable with, she may fall out of the Top 100.

'Hard designation' hard on Pacific Life Open
There's no question that the Sony Erickson's WTA Tour's decision to hard designate Miami has hurt the women's Pacific Life Open field, with only eight of the Top 21 showing up. "Hard designation" means that every player must show or risk a fine, like at the Slams. Amelia Island, which is the week after Miami, is sure to suffer, too.

However, most players seem to favor the tour's move, with SoCal's Lindsay Davenport backing up CEO Larry Scott by saying that it's the NASDAQ-100 that's been the most supportive of the WTA over the years, offering then more prize money and making the biggest contributions to their bonus pool. Loyalty should always be honored.

The WTA will move to hard designating more Tier Is in the future, but Indian Wells will have a tough time getting on that list because it's played just before Miami. Additionally, since the Super-Nine formula of hard designations has essentially failed on the ATP Tour with the stars choosing to play when they want to, it's difficult to see a similar system working on the injury-riddled WTA Tour either. Heck, the WTA can't seem to get the Williamses to play anything these days (even though they may show for Miami). Serena's fines must have hit a solid $300,000 by now, but she's not playing.

Easter Bowl
A broken wrist may have broken the career of Alexa Glatch.Henin-Hardenne says she's picking her schedule based on how her body's feeling. The belief here is that the Clijsters would have attempted to defend her Indian Wells title if the tour would have let her out of Miami. There just doesn't appear to be a surefire formula for success.

We've been propping American junior Alexa Glatch for a couple of years now as the nation's most promising girl, but the tall blonde jockette took a major step backwards in November, when she busted her right wrist and left elbow when she slammed into a dog on a motor scooter. She just started practicing three weeks ago and, on Wednesday, was plastered by Martina Sucha in her first match back. Glatch said the wrist fracture was almost career ending, but added that her elbow is almost completely healed and her wrist is feeling much stronger. But, when she got back on court a few weeks ago, it was if she had picked her racket up for the first time again. She's trying to stay positive, but it's not easy. During the off-season she parted with her coach, Katie Schulkebir, and picked up Adam Peterson off the Lindsay Davenport waiver wire.

Babolatpro880
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM
:eek: I thought that Shuai had lost to Foretz?!

tennisjay
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
IW is a lost cause and should be put to rest, ever since the WS stop playing there it has went down the tube. I say move IW to Texas and you will see more players playing it I don't care if it is before Miami. Some players just don't like going to IW because of racism there and players from other countries won't put up with it.

darrinbaker00
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:55 PM
IW is a lost cause and should be put to rest, ever since the WS stop playing there it has went down the tube. I say move IW to Texas and you will see more players playing it I don't care if it is before Miami. Some players just don't like going to IW because of racism there and players from other countries won't put up with it.
Please read this:
http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/en/news/new_archive/06_partnership.asp

The tournament isn't going anywhere, and to my knowledge, the Williams sisters are the only players who have had any problems there.

JonBcn
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I hope the dog was OK.

Berlin_Calling
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:54 PM

:rolleyes: @ the racism remark.

the cat
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Good heavens Alexa Glatch what have you done? :eek: :( She may have irreversibly ruined her tennis career or atleast lowered her potenital by getting into an accident on a moto scooter last November. This is the first I've heard of the accident. And what is it with athletes and motor scooters and motor cycles? :scratch: I hope Alexa can make a full recovery. But she's set her promising career back atleast in the short term with her motor scooter accident. And why was Alexa allowed to play a real match after only prectiicng for 3 weeks after her serious right wrist and left elbow injuries? :confused: I find that inexcusable. It's no wonder she lost. She wasn't ready to play a solid WTA Tour player in Martina Sucha.

Good luck to Peng.

Rising Sun
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I thought the whole reason why Adam Peterson stopped working with Lindsay was because he was tired of travelling on the WTA tour? :tape: :confused:

BTW, how random is that comment about Shuai not liking her outfit. :o

First I've heard about her corns. :eek:

Andrew..
Mar 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
LOL. Probably one of the stupidest things I've seen on this board, and that's saying alot.

drake3781
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:13 PM
:eek: I thought that Shuai had lost to Foretz?!

She did. I don't know why the article says that.

About her outfit, she looked terrible and I'm glad to hear that she was not happy with it too... I wondered. For one thing, she does not strike me as the kind of girl who wants her nipples showing to thoursands of people and being photographed. (Apparently a lot of other players don't mind.)

I don't think she actually "hates Nike" but probably not having a choice of what to wear. That is VERY UNDERSTANDABLE.

If she has to wear Nike, OK, but please let them have a choice of which pieces to wear!!

This coaching situation is not good.

@danieln1
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Peng Shuai was leading a set against Davenport in last year´s French Open, but then lost the second set in the tiebreak, and consequently the match...
ESPN showed that match here, and Peng fighted a lot before falling,
She should have won that match, it was so close.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I think Adam Peterson doesnt have to do much with Alexa.
She is tall. Just get her timing right and she does have top 20 potential in the next 3-4 years.
I feel bad for Peng but its to be expected.
Once you get an inkling of feeling free, you dont want to feel like you are stuck doing things.

drake3781
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Peng Shuai was leading a set against Davenport in last year´s French Open, but then lost the second set in the tiebreak, and consequently the match...
ESPN showed that match here, and Peng fighted a lot before falling,
She should have won that match, it was so close.

Why are you all red....... say something bad? :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Why are you all red....... say something bad? :lol:

Sorry. I did it. It was a cute statement but at no time does it link to this article well or do I think Peng life would be any different now if she beat Lindsay.

drake3781
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Sorry. I did it. It was a cute statement but at no time does it link to this article well or do I think Peng life would be any different now if she beat Lindsay.

Don't forget a lot of people here don't have English as a first language (they do extremely well !).

Can one badrep make someone all red? (Don't know how it works really.)

Derek.
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:42 AM

I made him green! :nerner:

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Don't forget a lot of people here don't have English as a first language (they do extremely well !).

Can one badrep make someone all red? (Don't know how it works really.)

I know and if beating Kim didnt change anything why would beating Lindsay on her weakest surface. :)
Logic is an universal language.
No they are a newbie. If you care so much, good rep them. They should be back in green.

drake3781
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I know and if beating Kim didnt change anything why would beating Lindsay on her weakest surface. :)
Logic is an universal language.
No they are a newbie. If you care so much, good rep them. They should be back in green.

No, I don't really care, just wondering. I should be getting some more important things done, that's for sure. :wavey:

hammerhead
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Good heavens Alexa Glatch what have you done? :eek: :( She may have irreversibly ruined her tennis career or atleast lowered her potenital by getting into an accident on a moto scooter last November. This is the first I've heard of the accident. And what is it with athletes and motor scooters and motor cycles? :scratch: I hope Alexa can make a full recovery. But she's set her promising career back atleast in the short term with her motor scooter accident. And why was Alexa allowed to play a real match after only prectiicng for 3 weeks after her serious right wrist and left elbow injuries? :confused: I find that inexcusable. It's no wonder she lost. She wasn't ready to play a solid WTA Tour player in Martina Sucha.

Good luck to Peng.

I know the Glatch family. The accident wasn't her fault. She doesn't have her driver's license yet and she was just riding the scooter uphill to the gym within her gated community to workout. A large, aggressive dog got loose from its owner and charged at her and caused the accident. She was trying to avoid the dog and was scared of being attacked by it. Sad. :sad:

the cat
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info hammerhead. What you said makes sense and it was bad luck for Alexa. But still she was on a motor scooter and a possible accident riding the motor scooter could alter her tennis career. And it has. :( Now let's hope she can get back to 100% healthy this year and play some good tennis. :)

Meesh
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:18 PM
WoW, I didn't know about Alexa. That's a shame.

CooCooCachoo
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM
He can't write. His writing style is so poor :help: Who hired the guy?

darrinbaker00
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:54 PM
He can't write. His writing style is so poor :help: Who hired the guy?
Nobody. Matthew Cronin started his own website.

CooCooCachoo
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Nobody. Matthew Cronin started his own website.

OK :p

I was wondering, cause I doubt anyone would want to hire that guy.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 13th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Shuai needs to find someone ASAP or shes gonna fall even more