PDA

View Full Version : How long will Momo stay №1?

RR-87
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
It seems that Momo will be number one after IW. How long will she keep her number one position?
I think she'll remain world number one till French Open (she is very unlucky there :rolleyes: )

arn
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM
She has almost nothing to defend at RG, so I doubt she would lose her #1 rank there.

Jenny.C.Fan
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I think ame could remain no1 for quite a long time :)

forever_rafter
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think ame could remain no1 for quite a long time :)

amen to that

RR-87
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I think Kim will regain her number one position after Rome or Berlin and Momo will be the second then ;)

Louis Cyphre
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM
It seems that Momo will be number one after IW. How long will she keep her number one position?
I think she'll remain world number one till French Open (she is very unlucky there :rolleyes: )
When Kim,Williams sisters,JHH are fit and if Masha and Lindsay remain fit ... I cant see Momo in top5 :tape:

Dexter
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM
10-12 weeks maybe, but not longer.

forever_rafter
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:58 PM
When Kim,Williams sisters,JHH are fit and if Masha and Lindsay remain fit ... I cant see Momo in top5 :tape:

I think you should forget about Williams sisters, they're no longer interested in tennis and Masha is so overrated...

turt
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I think she'll keep it till July...

RR-87
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I think you should forget about Williams sisters, they're no longer interested in tennis and Masha is so overrated...

Masha is not overrated :( she is playing gretly and consistantly
and Sisters will back, I'm sure

chuCKnorris
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I think Kim will regain her number one position after Rome or Berlin and Momo will be the second then ;)
I don't think Kim will play Berlin. In her schedule she has Warsaw and Rome (with three ???) but she's been advised by doctors not to play too much on clay because of her ankle. So I think Rome is with even more ?s now. But she has to play in Warsaw or I'll kill myself! :worship: :hearts: :)

Back to Amelie: I think she will remain until Wimbledon. Then either Kim or Justine will come ahead of her.

RR-87
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Back to Amelie: I think she will remain until Wimbledon. Then either Kim or Justine will come ahead of her.
Hope not Justine :tape: but she has nothing to defend on Wimbledon

supreme*
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Masha is so overrated...
no i dont think so... maria plays very good tennis - and her output is constant !

exactly ! i think the same... but i will add and linsday in the "game" !

azmad_88
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
she has rome to defend..and kim has nothing much after Miami.so its tough to decide before miami.we have to wait miami end and then compare

Louis Cyphre
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I`m sure Williams sisters will be back and they are too good for Mauresmo.And Masha is definitely better than her...It`s my opinion of course so I`m not sure that I`m right but honestly I cant see Mauresmo near top3 if these girls come back.And I forgot Hingis ... top5 will be a dream

tennisrox
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Dunno.Longer than last time though.
Its gonna be a real catfight b/w Kim,justine,and Amelie methinks.

Nicjac
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Until RG

Carmen Mairena
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I hope a long time. If she has to lose it, please be it because of Justine! :worship:

améliemomo
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM

and lindsay said that she will play less tournaments too...

amélie will stay n°1 till Roland Garros and even Wimbledon,she has few points to defend whereas henin has many.Kim clijsters said that she wont play as much on clay to prevent from injuries so amé n°1 :cool:

MinnyGophers
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Yeah like that's ever going to happen. When was the last time they've all been fit?
and by the way, Momo owns Maria.

marmite1
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I`m sure Williams sisters will be back and they are too good for Mauresmo.And Masha is definitely better than her...It`s my opinion of course so I`m not sure that I`m right but honestly I cant see Mauresmo near top3 if these girls come back.And I forgot Hingis ... top5 will be a dream

:lol:

MinnyGophers
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:13 PM

IF once again :rolleyes:
Momo has held her own when she was still "ChokoMomo" versus the Williams sisters, losing tight three setters to Serena and beating Venus, so now it might be a different story.
and by the way, I reckon Momo beat Hingis not too long ago...
Players a few years ago are different players today, always remember that.

Babolatpro880
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Well, in my opinion it depends on how much Kim plays on clay. If she plays three or four tournaments, then she'll probably go ahead of Mauresmo because she didn't play last year.

I think it might actually be impossible for Henin to go ahead of Mauresmo during the clay season, and I think she should worry about keeping her number three ranking till after the French Open when she doesn't have to a defend like half her points.

If Mauresmo can keep the number one ranking through the French Open, I say it's certainly gone by the end of Wimbledon because Kim will probably go farther in the French and Wimbledon than last year.

But, on the same token, Mauresmo also lost early in the French, so I guess there's really no telling.

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:23 PM
How long #1..?It's depend on W.Os and Ivanovic :tape:

wateva
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Well, in my opinion it depends on how much Kim plays on clay. If she plays three or four tournaments, then she'll probably go ahead of Mauresmo because she didn't play last year.

I think it might actually be impossible for Henin to go ahead of Mauresmo during the clay season, and I think she should worry about keeping her number three ranking till after the French Open when she doesn't have to a defend like half her points.

If Mauresmo can keep the number one ranking through the French Open, I say it's certainly gone by the end of Wimbledon because Kim will probably go farther in the French and Wimbledon than last year.

But, on the same token, Mauresmo also lost early in the French, so I guess there's really no telling.
yep. took the words right out of my mouth!:lol:

Marshmallow
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I was going to post this thread a while ago - but thought people will just be like .. "oh who knows, we can't predict the future". Which in itself is true. We don't know anything for sure.

Lets start with Miami itself, Amelie is in great form at the moment and she could get further than she did in Miami last year. She is a major title contender, so she very well could gain points. I don't really see kim defending this title.

What does Amelie have to defend during the clay season? I think she only plyed Berlin and Rome - so that's the rome title to defend, and quater final points in Berlin? I think she could do a little better in Berlin and get more points then.

With so little to defend (bar one title) - I can see Amelie holding on the the top spot. At roland garros Amelie has 3rd round points to defend - and given her stronger mentality and confidence, i think she very well could gain even more points here. It's too early for me to predict she'll win the title [lets see first how she performs in Miami and on clay]. But i think Amelie can very well make at least the quarters and even the semi's at roland Garros.

It also isn't a far fetched idea to think Kim will injury or pull something yet again, considering clay is a physical surface.

With all this in mind, Amelie may be able to keep the number one position till Wimbledon [she practically has nothing to defend in eastboure and kim must defend the title here... ].

For a long time i think.

:)

Marshmallow
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Kim did play on clay. Berlin and Warsaw (Semi's of warsaw losing to kuznetsova).

Louis Cyphre
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:35 PM
IF once again :rolleyes:
Momo has held her own when she was still "ChokoMomo" versus the Williams sisters, losing tight three setters to Serena and beating Venus, so now it might be a different story.
and by the way, I reckon Momo beat Hingis not too long ago...
Players a few years ago are different players today, always remember that.
might once again :rolleyes:

flyingmachine
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
As long as possible at least untill Justine has eoungh points to taken over :o but this is I hope a long while. :tape:

RJWCapriati
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM
a few more weeks, around 3-4

spencercarlos
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Kim is defending two Tier I wins (IW and Miami), Kim already lost IW and is to defend Miami, while Mauresmo is playing Indian Wells and scheduled to defend the rome title as well, so right now Kim as to win Miami (again) and Rome and Mauresmo to lose early... all posible but difficult...very

wateva
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Kim is defending two Tier I wins (IW and Miami), Kim already lost IW and is to defend Miami, while Mauresmo is playing Indian Wells and scheduled to defend the rome title as well, so right now Kim as to win Miami (again) and Rome and Mauresmo to lose early... all posible but difficult...very
:confused: :confused: :confused:

MinnyGophers
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM
might once again :rolleyes:

Yes, see unlike you, I do not have psychic powers, so I try to keep my predictions unbiased.

Bumsby
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, right... and if Suzanne Lenglen and Margaret Court were still alive, Amélie wouldn't make the Top10... :rolleyes:

Btw, I think we can start saying Momo's Australian Open victory was a fake because Suzanne Lenglen couldn't compete in the main draw as she had some health problems... like death or so.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:yawn:

I think Ame will stay number one at least until Rome, and in case she defends the title there until after Roland Garros. After that, if she does great at Wimbledon like I think she will she'll keep it till the US Open. :)

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah, right... and if Suzanne Lenglen and Margaret Court were still alive, Amélie wouldn't make the Top10... :rolleyes:

Btw, I think we can start saying Momo's Australian Open victory was a fake because Suzanne Lenglen couldn't compete in the main draw as she had some health problems... like death or so.

I think Ame will stay number one at least until Rome, and in case she defends the title there until after Roland Garros. After that, if she does great at Wimbledon like I think she will she'll keep it till the US Open. :)

Why do Momo's fan are so :rolleyes:

It's clear,Momo is #1 cause Williamses aren't motivated anymore and Belgium, Masha and Lindsay plays not enough or are too injured. How many tourneys did play Momo??21 in about a year..12 for Justine and 14 for Maria..
It's written in the books,Momo is less strong and competitive than the other . Her place is out the top 5... Objectively,I rank Momo #7.
And,honnestely, I can't undersatand why a player who won a GS in such inbelievable condition is considerer as the player of the year so far... Can someone explain me?? :tape:
I even stopped buying l'Equipe(sport daily newspaper in France),I'm so bored to see Momo everywhere :roll:

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Allez Momo :devil:

I don't know how long she will stay at n°1...but I hope she surpasses her own expectations :D

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:44 PM

It's clear,Momo is #1 cause Williamses aren't motivated anymore and Belgium, Masha and Lindsay plays not enough or are too injured. How many tourneys did play Momo??21 in about a year..12 for Justine and 14 for Maria..
It's written in the books,Momo is less strong and competitive than the other . Her place is out the top 5... Objectively,I rank Momo #7.
And,honnestely, I can't undersatand why a player who won a GS in such inbelievable condition is considerer as the player of the year so far... Can someone explain me?? :tape:
I even stopped buying l'Equipe(sport daily newspaper in France),I'm so bored to see Momo everywhere :roll:
gotta love Momo haters :hearts::kiss::rolls:

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
gotta love Momo haters :hearts::kiss::rolls:

I'm not a Momo's hatter..I'm a press' hatter... I admitt she plays well but not enough to be considerered as the REAL #1..You know what I mean?

rik du chesnay
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM
until roland garros I think.Maybye more...

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I'm not a Momo's hatter..I'm a press' hatter... I admitt she plays well but not enough to be considerered as the REAL #1..You know what I mean?
No I don't. :D

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:54 PM
No I don't. :D

Forcément!:lol: I knew you would say this!!:lol: To me,she is definitely overated..

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Forcément!:lol: I knew you would say this!!:lol: To me,she is definitely overated..
Évidemment je savais que tu allais répondre de la sorte !!! :lol: Tu es tellement prévisible ... J'avais déjà vu tes posts avant :D

continue de la voir ainsi, c'est bien !!! :yeah:

TomTennis
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:07 PM
So long as she continues to play week in week out and teh other top contenders (Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, Sharapova, Venus, Serena, Pierce) remain injured, not match fit, or dont wanna play a certain amount of tournaments etc etc etc...then yes she will remain there for a long time......or at least until the others pick up their game.

timafi
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM
troll alert
troll allert :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bumsby
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM
You know what I mean?

We either read different books or I don't know what you mean.

Of all the players you mentioned, Amelie has bad records against Serena and Davenport. For the rest:
she beat Venus the last 3 times they played;
she beat Clijsters the last 3 times they played;
she beat Sharapova the last 2 times they played (out of 2 total matches)

Only 17 tournaments are counted for total ranking points, so Amelie (17 effective) is not so far from Maria (15, not 14) or Davenport (14).

:confused:

Again, if Lenglen were alive, played 17 tournaments a year and sipped less brandy during changeovers, she'd probably deserve the #1 ranking better than Amelie :lol:

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Évidemment je savais que tu allais répondre de la sorte !!! :lol: Tu es tellement prévisible ... J'avais déjà vu tes posts avant :D

continue de la voir ainsi, c'est bien !!! :yeah:

T'es sur(e) que c'est moi??Je poste pas des masses sauf dans le thread francophone(too lazy to speak english :tape: )
It's forbidden not to consider her as the best or what? :what: I want joy, happiness, and good mood! :),in spite of the fact I don't share the same point of view ;)

MinnyGophers
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:11 PM

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THEY ARE NOT NUMBER ONE!!!!
Being the best doesnt mean being the best for one tournament, it means being the best right now. If a player doesnt want to play, is not interested or is injured, then they are out of the contest. How HARD is it to grasp??? The number one ranking doesnt necessarily means who is the best player ever, it means who is the best PLAYING player RIGHT NOW.

MinnyGophers
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:12 PM

Of all the players you mentioned, Amelie has bad records against Serena and Davenport. For the rest:

Only 17 tournaments are counted for total ranking points, so Amelie (17 effective) is not so far from Maria (15, not 14) or Davenport (14).

Again, if Lenglen were alive, played 17 tournaments a year and sipped less brandy during changeovers, she'd probably deserve the #1 ranking better than Amelie :lol:

hey do not underestimate the powers of a young Steffi Graf, a young Navatilova or an "not been stabbed" Monica Seles. :drool:

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:14 PM
T'es sur(e) que c'est moi??Je poste pas des masses sauf dans le thread francophone(too lazy to speak english :tape: )
It's forbidden not to consider her as the best or what? :what: I want joy, happiness, and good mood! :),in spite of the fact I don't share the same point of view ;)
non c'était bien toi, et j'ai vu tes posts dans le thread franco aussi :D

je t'ai déjà dit de continuer de la rabaisser à ton aise ! :scratch::wavey:

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM

And the previous matches don't count? :confused: Moreover,Kim was not in good shape in the last two..Venus is excuseless and Maria was either injured or she didn't really play(in the masters 2004). When you plays more tourneys,it's logic you have more points considering that teh 17 best scores are registred. That's the way I see things

Louis Cyphre
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:17 PM

Dont make :rolleyes: coz I have the feeling that you make me a :lick:

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM
non c'était bien toi, et j'ai vu tes posts dans le thread franco aussi :D

je t'ai déjà dit de continuer de la rabaisser à ton aise ! :scratch::wavey:

Les fans de Momo,vous etes souvent tres suceptibles et soupe au lait!:lol: Moi je souffre en tant que fan des Williams,je peux le dire!Entre l'anus et le popotin de Serena qui s'amplifient et les cuisses de Venus qui enflent a vu d'oeil:lol: Si on rajoute aussi mes 2 autres chéries que sont Myskina qui prend l'eau sans dicontinuer depuis 1 an et Maria qui perd toujours quand il faut pas... Est-ce-que je le prends mal??Nan :lol: Sérieux,j'espère que tu le prends pas comme une attaque personelle...

Bumsby
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:19 PM
How HARD is it to grasp??? The number one ranking doesnt necessarily means who is the best player ever, it means who is the best PLAYING player RIGHT NOW.
Exactly!
Some players skip tournaments and play less not too ruin their "reputation" of good players, because if they aren't 100% they'd play badly and ruin their reputation... so when players DON'T play, you should be suspicious about their "supposed" level of play...

So what does this say to you? That one thing is an "image" or a "reputation" of good player, and another thing is "actually" being a good player.

The ranking doesn't measure reputation or speculation: it measures reality.

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THEY ARE NOT NUMBER ONE!!!!
Being the best doesnt mean being the best for one tournament, it means being the best right now. If a player doesnt want to play, is not interested or is injured, then they are out of the contest. How HARD is it to grasp??? The number one ranking doesnt necessarily means who is the best player ever, it means who is the best PLAYING player RIGHT NOW.

Let's compare palmares!:lol: Anyway,this season Justine is the most impressive so far

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Les fans de Momo,vous etes souvent tres suceptibles et soupe au lait!:lol: Moi je souffre en tant que fan des Williams,je peux le dire!Entre l'anu sde Serena qui s'amplifie et les cuisses de Venus qui enflent a vu d'oeil:lol: Si on rajoute aussi mes 2 autres chéries que sont Myskina qui prend l'eau sans dicontinuer depuis 1 an et Maria qui perd toujours quand il faut pas... Est-ce-que je le prends mal??Nan :lol: Sérieux,j'espère que tu le prends pas comme une attaque personelle...

une attaque personelle :haha::tape:
pourquoi ? :scratch:

t'es sûr que t'es fan des soeurs williams, Myskina et Maria ? :spit:

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM
une attaque personelle :haha::tape:
pourquoi ? :scratch:

t'es sûr que t'es fan des soeurs williams, Myskina et Maria ? :spit:

Oui je les adore!!J'ai meme préparé un discours si je suis ammené a les croiser un jour a RG(ou au McDo pour Serena):lol: Mais ça m'empeche pas de les critiquer et de rester objectif ;)

saint
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM
She'sgoing to be no 1 for quite a few months, her record against other players in the top 10 in the last six months is excellent, i think bumbsy gave some good stats. She's probably one of the fittest on the tour and can only claim points for 17 tourneys and by the end of the season all of the top 10 would have played that many so its all equal as far as I am concerned.
What I'd like to question is why people feel the need to keep questioning her right to be no 1, why does she have less of a right than any other player, what has Sharapova done since winning Wimbledon, no-body questions that. Give the woman a break she has no less right than any other player who has been no 1 to take that slot, she's won the YEC and AO in tha last couple of months, what else does she have to do? And by the way someone said she's over rated, that is so wrong, she has been one of the most underestimated players as people don't believe in her, now she is proving herself, doubters please go away. Wait until the end of 06 and lets see where she is then, I would bet she will have been one of the most consistent players on the tour and have a number of other big wins under her belt.

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Oui je les adore!!J'ai meme préparé un discours si je suis ammené a les croiser un jour a RG(ou au McDo pour Serena):lol: Mais ça m'empeche pas de les critiquer et de rester objectif ;)
J'ai bien peur pour elles :tape::haha:
personne n'est véritablement objectif :D

saint
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:27 PM

Get real, momo can beat any of them now, she has new found confidence and her backhand is such a big weapon, any of the aforementioned will be frightened of it.

Bumsby
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:33 PM
And the previous matches don't count? :confused: Moreover,Kim was not in good shape in the last two..Venus is excuseless and Maria was either injured or she didn't really play(in the masters 2004).
Previous matches count for previous rankings.... (when Momo was losing 61 60 to Kim, not surprisingly she wasn't #1).

Being in good shape is part of the sport.... if you give 120% in a match or a tournament, and in the next match or in the next tourney you get injured, it often means you were previously playing at a higher level than your body could normally sustain.

About the Momo-Maria H2H's, in 2004 Momo didn't "really" play either as she was already qualified too, and in 2005 Maria was "so" injured that she beat Davenport, who had served her two bagels a few months before, two days before playing Amelie in the semifinals. :rolleyes:

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Get real, momo can beat any of them now, she has new found confidence and her backhand is such a big weapon, any of the aforementioned will be frightened of it.

OK momo is become a dangerous player but you seem forget that the others are not armless to... They didn't won their slams in the lotery!:lol:

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Previous matches count for previous rankings.... (when Momo was losing 61 60 to Kim, not surprisingly she wasn't #1).

Being in good shape is part of the sport.... if you give 120% in a match or a tournament, and in the next match or in the next tourney you get injured, it often means you were previously playing at a higher level than your body could normally sustain.

About the Momo-Maria H2H's, in 2004 Momo didn't "really" play either as she was already qualified too, and in 2005 Maria was "so" injured that she beat Davenport, who had served her two bagels a few months before, two days before playing Amelie in the semifinals. :rolleyes:

Maria played Davy two matches ago..In your mind,why she lost her match 61 61 against Petrova??Cause she wasn't in good shape and she wanted keep her strengh for her match against Momo. I saw the same(and I cry after :lol: ) and Maria wasn't able to serve anymore. Think whatever you want,you can't deny it ;)

Bumsby
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Let's compare palmares!:lol: Anyway,this season Justine is the most impressive so far
From the thread title I thought we were discussing current rankings here, not careers.

And for the current season, or what happened from the start of the year, you have to check the Porsche race (which Momo leads by almost 400 points anyway), not the one-year rankings :p

MinnyGophers
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM

Again you don't get it. If we were to compare palmares, Serena Williams would be number one right now. But is she really the true number one? When was the last time she played?
The number one ranking isnt about who has the best palmares in their whole career, it is about who is playing the best actually.
Who do you think should be number one? A player who shines when she plays, but barely plays from time to time, or a player who manages to maintain an elite level weeks after weeks?

You could also make the argument that IF Momo would rest and play only a handful our tourneys per year, she would play at a higher level during these tourneys since she would be 100%. But that is IF, and IF is not IS.

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I said "Let's compare palmares" cause when I read you I've got the impression that Momo is and has ever been the best player on earth. But for sure Serena counts as prunes!:lol: What I wanna say is simply that Momo is strong(now)but not as impressive than teh other when they are in good shape. That's all I can say. OK guys? It would be dumb to argue for that ;)

MinnyGophers
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I said "Let's compare palmares" cause when I read you I've got the impression that Momo is and has ever been the best player on earth. But for sure Serena counts as prunes!:lol: What I wanna say is simply that Momo is strong(now)but not as impressive than teh other when they are in good shape. That's all I can say. OK guys? It would be dumb to argue for that ;)

That I can mainly agree on ;)
But to say that Momo isn't a deserving actual #1, that is something we could argue about.

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:53 PM
That I can mainly agree on ;)
But to say that Momo isn't a deserving actual #1, that is something we could argue about.

OF course,it's definitely not like in 2004 :tape: ;)

Bumsby
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:53 PM
In your mind,why she lost her match 61 61 against Petrova??Cause she wasn't in good shape and she wanted keep her strengh for her match against Momo. I saw the same(and I cry after :lol: ) and Maria wasn't able to serve anymore. Think whatever you want,you can't deny it ;)
No player gives 100% in a "dead rubber" match, Ame lost her third RR match too.
Maria wasn't able to serve? Well, she had a good rest against Petrova because she served well in the semis against Amelie. 2 aces and 71% of first balls in, with 65% of points won. But Ame was too aggressive on Maria's second serve.

Match Summary Sharapova Mauresmo
1st Serve % 71% 60%
Aces 2 2
Double Faults 4 4
Winning % - 1st Serve Pts. 34 of 52 = 65% 29 of 36 = 81%
Winning % - 2nd Serve Pts. 4 of 21 = 19% 13 of 24 = 54%
Winners (including service) 20 13
Unforced Errors 39 17
Break Point Conversions 3 of 4 = 75% 4 of 7 = 57%
Net Approaches 11 of 15 = 73% 12 of 16 = 75%
Total Points Won 56 77

Il Primo!
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM
No player gives 100% in a "dead rubber" match, Ame lost her third RR match too.
Maria wasn't able to serve? Well, she had a good rest against Petrova because she served well in the semis against Amelie. 2 aces and 71% of first balls in, with 65% of points won. But Ame was too aggressive on Maria's second serve.

Match Summary Sharapova Mauresmo
1st Serve % 71% 60%
Aces 2 2
Double Faults 4 4
Winning % - 1st Serve Pts. 34 of 52 = 65% 29 of 36 = 81%
Winning % - 2nd Serve Pts. 4 of 21 = 19% 13 of 24 = 54%
Winners (including service) 20 13
Unforced Errors 39 17
Break Point Conversions 3 of 4 = 75% 4 of 7 = 57%
Net Approaches 11 of 15 = 73% 12 of 16 = 75%
Total Points Won 56 77

Of course but she definitely didn't serve as fast and as strong as usual ;)

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Wow, what a fine collection of haters Momo is acquiring since her mini domination began. :D

Bumsby
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Here you talk about comparing players at their peak. But that's not what the ranking measures. In a discussion about who can dethrone Ame at the #1 ranking, you have to take into account consistency and quality/level of play at the same time.

If all the players you mentioned were able to stay injury-free and play their A-game over an entire year, or over ALL the big tournaments (slams, YEC and Tier I's), then you could say they'd threaten Ame's position. But if they're either injured or inconsistent the ranking will remember everything they've done for 12 months, no matter if their "peak" level of play is higher than Momo's.

Il Primo!
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Wow, what a fine collection of haters Momo is acquiring since her mini domination began. :D

To easy to say that. When someone says Momo's not the greatest of all time,he's automatically a hatter :rolleyes: . It's not necessary to be sick to think the opposite of you, darling ;) Call me like you want, not important finally

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:08 AM
There, I thought that would stir them up a bit more. :hehehe:

Il Primo!
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Here you talk about comparing players at their peak. But that's not what the ranking measures. In a discussion about who can dethrone Ame at the #1 ranking, you have to take into account consistency and quality/level of play at the same time.

I agree ;) I think Justine is dangerous cause Kim is not solid physically enough. Maria plays like a novice on clay,so...

hablo
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:09 AM
There, I thought that would stir them up a bit more. :hehehe:
well done, :hehehe::lol:

Il Primo!
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Franck, alone against everyone :lol:

Bumsby
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Of course but she definitely didn't serve as fast and as strong as usual ;)
:confused: :scratch:
But even at her best, she doesn't serve better nor faster than Amélie!!
Mauresmo won a slam with a stiff neck, go figure how fast she was serving... :rolleyes:

:shrug:

Il Primo!
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:23 AM
:confused: :scratch:
But even at her best, she doesn't serve better nor faster than Amélie!!
Mauresmo won a slam with a stiff neck, go figure how fast she was serving... :rolleyes:

:shrug:

Not compared to Amelie but to the way she serves usually!!! You absolutely want the latest word!I give it to you!I'm so exhausted!I go to bed,it's 2 a.m in France(and Italy also :lol: ) Have a good night. Bonasera, passi una noce piacevole(parlo un po' italiano come lo vedi ;) ) :wavey:

Bumsby
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Not compared to Amelie but to the way she serves usually!!! You absolutely want the latest word!I give it to you!I'm so exhausted!I go to bed,it's 2 a.m in France(and Italy also :lol: ) Have a good night. Bonasera, passi una noce piacevole(parlo un po' italiano come lo vedi ;) )
I know, that's what I meant: in general, Sharapova's serve is not better than Amelie's so even if Maria served 100% in that match (which I think she was close to) she'd have had no chance: Amelie was just the better player... too good. Sometimes you just have to sit back and say "too good".

Bonne nuit à toi.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM
If Amelie does lose the number one spot in the near future, it will be to Justine. Just thought I'd point this out. Of course, Justine then has to defend RG, where Amelie went out early in 2005.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:35 AM
well done, :hehehe::lol:

:lol: :devil:

Brett.
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Untill she retires @ 33 years old

goldenboi356
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:50 AM
she won't be able to even get to num 1 cause 1. kim will certainly stay ahead 2. juju is right behind her...not mentioning lind and sharapova, who will i personally think r better.

Bumsby
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Untill she retires @ 33 years old
:lol: how's that for optimism?
With Amélie, you never know... if people say it's impossible, that's when she has her best chance ;)

Ceze
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Again you don't get it. If we were to compare palmares, Serena Williams would be number one right now. But is she really the true number one? When was the last time she played?
The number one ranking isnt about who has the best palmares in their whole career, it is about who is playing the best actually.
Who do you think should be number one? A player who shines when she plays, but barely plays from time to time, or a player who manages to maintain an elite level weeks after weeks?

You could also make the argument that IF Momo would rest and play only a handful our tourneys per year, she would play at a higher level during these tourneys since she would be 100%. But that is IF, and IF is not IS.I disagree, if you compare palmares among the active players, the number one should go to Martina Navratilova :p :lol:
(useless to add that I totally agree with all your arguments ;) )

Linnie
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:07 AM
she won't be able to even get to num 1 cause 1. kim will certainly stay ahead 2. juju is right behind her...not mentioning lind and sharapova, who will i personally think r better.
Um, Kim's Indian Wells points come off this week and Amélie's only 28 points behind her, so yes, she will become no. 1 next Monday. Justine is over 700 points behind Amélie; Lindsay is over 800 points behind Amélie; Maria almost 900 points behind. All of them are defending at least semi-final points this week.

And yes, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think Amélie is the best player right now :)

silverwhite
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Until her luck runs out! Anytime soon now!

fammmmedspin
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Until someone finds more points. Kim has to defend what she has and put in a better FO and Wimbledon. Justine has to defend and add something big at Wimbledon or stay fit long enough in the summer. Not easy when both are injured/ill/ so often. Wimbledon is someone's big opportunity but Maria needs more points than that, Lindsay is not playing enough and may have ruled herself out. Could be Momo for quite some time without her actually having to play better than last year.

DragonFlame
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:33 AM
i think amelie will be no1. till around wimbledon/beginning ushardcourts. justine just has too many to defend on clay and can't add any points anymore after miami so she'll take over amelie later. hopefully after a win in wimbledon :devil:
kim has a chance of getting it back but she would need to play really well in the upcoming claytournie's and amelie would probably need to lose early in rome.
it will be a belgian that eventually gets past amelie, that's for sure. so keep the seat warm momo! ;)

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:37 AM
she won't be able to even get to num 1 cause 1. kim will certainly stay ahead

Oh dear. Um, maybe we should teach you some arithmetic. It is impossible as a matter of simple arithmetic for anyone other than Momo to be # 1 when the 20 March rankings are announced.

In fact, I don't think it's possible for anyone (except maybe Juju if she wins both Indian Wells and Miami and if Momo loses her opening match in Miami?? :scratch: ) to pass her at Miami.

MinnyGophers
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:54 AM
I disagree, if you compare palmares among the active players, the number one should go to Martina Navratilova :p :lol:
(useless to add that I totally agree with all your arguments ;) )

oh right forgot about her, she has
disappeared off the face of the tennis world for a while now :lol:

stijntje
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:55 AM
we'll see ;)

hablo
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:59 AM
:haha::tape:

pav
Mar 12th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Not long I hope

Solitaire
Mar 12th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Till the stars fall from the sky

jas_123
Mar 12th, 2006, 03:55 AM
well for a while because alicia is out. alicia was beat mono easily be4 she got her virus

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Gotta love this board. People say the most amazing, left-fieldish things. :lol:

améliemomo
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM

so true :lol:

turt
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Um, Kim's Indian Wells points come off this week and Amélie's only 28 points behind her, so yes, she will become no. 1 next Monday. Justine is over 700 points behind Amélie; Lindsay is over 800 points behind Amélie; Maria almost 900 points behind. All of them are defending at least semi-final points this week.

And yes, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think Amélie is the best player right now :)As far as I agree with the first part of your post, it's not true all of them are defending at least semi-final points, as Justine has 0 points to defend until Miami ;)
And yes, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think your last sentence is true :p

That said, I have already said in this thread that Amélie will stay number one till July ;)

s_j
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Who do you think we'll see as #1 this year? Lindsay, Kim, Amelie... who else (if any)?

sapir1434
Mar 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Yes :lol: :tape:

DragonFlame
Mar 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Who do you think we'll see as #1 this year? Lindsay, Kim, Amelie... who else (if any)?

justine, and after justine there won't be anyone else ;) :p

anlavalle
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:12 AM
[QUOTE=franck]Why do Momo's fan are so :rolleyes:

I even stopped buying l'Equipe(sport daily newspaper in France),I'm so bored to see Momo everywhere :roll:[/QUOT

The only treats for Amelie are Serena and Lindsay, Amelie beat justin, kim, maria and venus the last time she played against them, so please give Amelie a break.

willrock
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Theoritically she'll be #1 till Us Open! She will have plenty of time to savourate!
Then i fear bitch Justine will overtake her but who knows... injuries :devil: