PDA

View Full Version : Hingis could win more slams than Davenport

Morrissey
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:23 AM
I look at Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport and I never thought that when Davenport won the 2000 Australian Open final..that it would be her last major. However, in the past six long years..Lindsay has failed to lift the winner's trophy which is very surprising. I think Hingis can and will win slams. Now I am not saying hingis will win a slam this year..but I feel Hingis can win the French Open for sure. Hingis clay results always have been excellent and with her unique game she can do well. If Hingis does not win a slam this year..she will win one next year for sure. As for Lindsay Davenport I really feel last year was her last big shot at winning a major. Now of course..she could surprise and win Wimbledon or the US OPEN this year...but...with all the talent on the tour..don't count on it..I just feel that Lindsay Davenport has a mental barrier..first it was with the Williams Sisters, then she got more problems with the Belgians, and now the Russians have come along..I think Lindsay's time to win majors has passed. In order for Lindsay to win a slam now..I think something really special will have to happen. Sure, Lindsay is very consistent and she will win WTA tour titles..but no one cares who wins Tokyo or Indian Wells..at the end of the day its about winning slams. And surprisingly Lindsay only has three..

tennisboi
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I don't agree with this thread. I think that Lindsay has a better chance than Hingis to win slams. Martina is blessed with amazing talent and her comeback is something to take seriously but however she dosen't hit the ball nearly hard enough on her ground strokes and serve to challenge at the majors. Lindsay was very unfortunate not to win a slam in 04 and 05 but in the future I would give her a better shot in the major tournaments except on clay of course

LeRoy.
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Hingis ALREADY has won more slams than Davenport. I don't see either of them winning a major again but i'd love to be proven wrong. :)

tennisIlove09
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Hingis
97 OZ
97 WB
97 US
98 OZ
99 OZ

Davenport
98 US
99WB
00 OZ

Hingis could win more? she HAS more ;)

hablo
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I guess the thread starter needs to do more research first before making such threads :lol:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:01 AM
she already has...if you're saying who's more capable now of winning slams, davenport is miles ahead of hingis.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I'll be charitable and interpret the thread title as meaning more additional slams. I actually think Davenport has the edge in that respect, but history will tell. :)

Ryan
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I think at this point Lindsay has the edge in winning another slam, but that certainly doesn't count Hingis out. This year is probably toooooo early, but in the upcoming years she definately has big chances at Oz and Rg, and even the US Open. That's not saying she WILL win one, but in two years I think Hingis has a better chance then Lindsay.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I think at this point Lindsay has the edge in winning another slam, but that certainly doesn't count Hingis out. This year is probably toooooo early, but in the upcoming years she definately has big chances at Oz and Rg, and even the US Open. That's not saying she WILL win one, but in two years I think Hingis has a better chance then Lindsay.
In 2 years Lindsay will most likely not be playing aymore

Ryan
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:52 AM
In 2 years Lindsay will most likely not be playing aymore

....and how does that refute what I said? :p

RJWCapriati
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:08 AM
I do believe Davenport leads Hingis head to head and Davenport is the better player.

PLP
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:53 AM
No question, Martina has a better chance :) ...not to mention many more of them. I love Lindsay as well but her time is limited now and I think it is very difficult for her body to hold up an entire 2 weeks...which is the main reason she hasn't won a GS in the past few years.

Also, Martina has already had the Slightly better career and she would probably already have a few more GS title's if she hadn't missed 14 GS's since 2002 RG (which she probably would have won at least 2X by now)...but I think it will become even better within the next 5 years. Don't get me wrong though, people can continue to doubt Hingis all they want :lol: ...less pressure for her, P

Prizeidiot
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I think he means Hingis could end up with more slams than Davenport, which didn't seem so likely in 2000.

I'd back Hingis to end up with more by the end of their careers. She's 2 ahead now, and Lindsay isn't going to hang around too much longer.

TonyP
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I think both have a chance, but Hingis probably has MORE chances, because she will probably play longer now than Lindsay will. I think if Davenport does not win a slam this year, she will seriously consider hanging up her rackets. I think ironically, Lindsay's best chance should have come last year, with the Williams sisters not being on form MOST of the time, and with the Belgian sisters injured much of the time and the top Russians struggling, and no Hingis to boot.

Right now, the Belgians are pretty much back and up to speed, Mauresmo is obviously playing her best tennis ever and the Russians, at least some of them, are looking good again, all spells trouble for Lindsay. And now there is Hingis, too, who is probably only going to get better as the year rolls on. And Hingis is both hungry and now even much more of a fan favorite. My guess is, Martina will get a minimum of one more slam singles title before she hangs it up and maybe more than that.

I am not optimistic about Lindsay's chances any longer.

The Daviator
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM
It really doesn't matter who has more, If Hingis ends her career with, say, 7, and Lindsay finishes with (prays!) 5, then I'll be happy...

Markus
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
this topic is coming again and again each year. it's always the same, this is the final year that lindsay has a chance to win a slam. perhaps she will surprise us all and win her last slam in 2008 with a ranking outside the top 10 when no one expect anything from her. that would be great! as for hingis i doubt that she will win another slam but the future will tell.

Grice
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:54 PM
i wouldn't count Lindsay out. It's when people think she can't do it, and when expectations of her are down, that she comes up strong and does the unexpected..

terjw
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:13 PM
i wouldn't count Lindsay out. It's when people think she can't do it, and when expectations of her are down, that she comes up strong and does the unexpected..

If they currently had the same number of slams - I'd fancy Lindsay's chances. But assuming Martina doesn't win any more slams - Lindsay would still have to win 3 more slams to beat Martina's record. IMO that's just too big an ask.

I believe she'll retire at the end of 2007 - same time as Kim. And if Martina is say top 10 but can't make any further inroads into the top 5 and hasn't won another slam that could be decision time for her as well.

danieln1
Mar 12th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Lindsay will beat Martina in the fourth round at indian wells!!!
But Martina has a great chance of winning Roland Garros this year, the only thing that canīt happen is henin-hardenne or dementieva get on martina way! hahahaha

Hingie
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Everyone talks about Martina's chances at RG - i'm sure i read somewhere that she is not playing many clay court tournaments - so who knows.

I'm sure i'll be in the minority here but i feel as though she has unfinished business at Wimbledon - don't know why.

Daniel
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Martina will win RG .

Buitenzorg
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Well, anything is possible ;)

mr_burns
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Martina won't win a slam, she isn't able to beat the ral top players anymore. lindsay has the same chance at wimbledon like last year. maybe she has more luck this time