PDA

View Full Version : Best Doubles teams of the past decade?

Martina2
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Hiya, Im liking doubles more and more for some reason (sadly its never on TV), but was anting to know who you thought have been the best doubles teams of the past 10 years or so? Also be good to hear your favourites and why! :)

Some of my ideas:

-Hingis/Novotna: FO, Wim, USO 1998

-Williams/Williams: All 4 grand slams and Olympic gold and have a really good win loss record(i think)

-Hingis/Kournikova: Hardly ever defeated as a team...2 grand slams and 2 SE champs

-Stubbs/Raymond: A few slam titles, held no.1 spot for quite a while

-Ruana Pascual/ Suarez: Lots of slams....esp French Open!

-Suigyama/Clijsters: 2 slams but i thought they were a really good team!! :)

selyoink
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Suarez and Ruano Pascual

~Carsten~
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Raymond/ Stosur are a great Team! The best at the moment on the WTA Tour.

Ferosh
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:14 PM
:bowdown: Suarez and Ruano Pascual :bowdown:

CJ07
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:18 PM
The Williams Sisters

CanIGetAWhat
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Gigi Fernandez and Natasha Zvereva

smiler
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Kuznetsova / Molik

damn illness! Get well soon Alicia babe :)

~Carsten~
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Kuznetsova / Molik

damn illness! Get well soon Alicia babe :)
I agree! I saw a few days ago the QF Groenefeld/ Navratoliva vs. Kuznetsova/ Molik at the US Open. That was a great Match!!

I hope to see Alicia back soon!!!

henmanhill
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Navratilova/Kuznetsova.
Navratilova/Groenfeld were on the way to greatness. Shame they fell out.

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Stubbs/Raymond - great team

aussie_stars
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:16 AM
The Williams Sisters would be unbeatable if they played regular doubles.

Hingis and Kournikova were awesome to. (great FO final between these 2 teams)

PLP
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Hingis & anyone she has played with ;) ...seriously

Tripp
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Agree with the previous poster about Hingis. She is probably one of the best 3 doubles players in the history of women's tennis.

Although I do think that Vivi/Paola were the best TEAM of the last decade :worship:

Martian Jeza
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Hingis with anyone especialy Anna Kournikova : The spice girls :hearts:

Ryan
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Hingis/Kournikova were probably the most consistantly dominant team, but Williams x2 won more slams together. Davenport/Zvereva were pretty good as well.

Bitter Blue Bong
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Venus and Serena. They didn't play much but usually won when they did, not to mention they have all four slams (some twice) and an Olympic gold medal.

darrinbaker00
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM
The Williams Sisters would be unbeatable if they played regular doubles.
They would be unbeatable if they played regularly, period. ;)

Ellery
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Vivi and Paola

TonyP
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hingis and anyone she picks as a partner.

She proved that again in Australia, winning in mixed doubles with somebody she had never played with before.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:48 AM
ruano pascual and suarez have been the best team since navratilova/shriver

i think sveta/molik would have created a legacy if alicia hadn't got ill, it seemed like the perfect combination

hopefully both suarez and molik get over their illness/injury problems so both teams can race back up to the top of the rankings

Seyz
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:09 AM
ruano pascual and suarez are the most decorated doubles team surely. Sooo many grandslams.

However, when the Williams Sisters are playing, I think they're the ones to beat. I can't imagine how intimidating it is to play BOTH Venus and Serena.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:11 AM
williams/williams and stubbs/raymond have been superior.

gorecki
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Fernandez/Zvereva
Hingis/partner

Raymond/Stubbs
Williams/Williams
Suarez/Ruano-Pascual
Davenport/Zvereva
Clijsters/Sugiyama
Black/Stubbs
Sugiyama/Halard-Decugis

Likhovtseva is a decent doubles player but yet to win a ladies doubles GS title (she did win the MD at Wimbledon with Bhupathi) while most of her former regular partners (Black, Sugiyama, Kuznetsova, Kournikova) went on to win GS doubles titles...

darrinbaker00
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:39 AM
As much as I L-O-V-E las hermanas Williams, I have to go with Hingis and (insert name here). If you can win two majors (TWO!) with Kournikova on your back, you're playing some doubles. ;)

pcrtennis
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Sugiyama/Clijsters would have won many more slams if Clijsters hadn't quit doubles...They were so fun to watch...

Also, Hingis/Kournikova!

RJWCapriati
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:12 AM
The Best - Williams/Williams

very close runners up -

Ruano Pascual/Suarez

Davenport/Raymond

spec7er
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I think if we're talking about just the results, consistency and frequency in playing, then Ruano Pascual and Suarez are the ones that have been consistently winning titles whenever they played. But, we have to remember that during their rise the two teams that were most dominant during the previous years were playing scarcely. These teams were the Williams Sisters and the Spice Girls. But it's not their fault that they weren't able to really contend with them, as they faced only those who were playing and you can't fault them if the other teams are not playing or if they were they might've been hobbled by injuries. (the Williams sisters already won every doubles grand slam so, the incentive of playing was less than before and they were having injury troubles then)

But based on just how they dominated the field if and when they played, I think it's between the two teams I mentioned earlier.

Prizeidiot
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Hingis and anyone for me

lauramariana
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:35 AM
:bowdown: Suarez and Ruano Pascual :bowdown:
I agree... :yeah: