PDA

View Full Version : Retirement can wait for Davenport

spiceboy
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Retirement can wait for Davenport

The Desert Sun
March 10, 2006

INDIAN WELLS - When it's time for Lindsay Davenport to hang up the racket and call it a career, she figures she will have an epiphany.

"I'm going with the flow," said Davenport, who has been a finalist at the Pacific Life Open the past three years. "I feel when the time is right to stop, it will be flashing in neon lights for me, like this is it. It could be this year, it could be next year, I have no idea. Anyone in their profession seems to think it's fairly clear when it's the right time. I haven't had that moment of clarity."

Davenport is coming off a 2005 in which she ended the year No. 1 and she's still a contender for major titles, so she doesn't expect to leave any time soon.

"There's stuff I feel I can still accomplish and it's very tough to leave when you feel like you're the best," she said. "It's a tough pull. I talk about it a lot. I still enjoy playing." As of right now, Davenport wants to play through Wimbledon.

msharafan
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
yeah it will be sad whenever davenport retires, and i for one will miss her she is a respectable great player, and the tour will not be the same without her and besides i love maria dav matches there so entertaining barr 1(i think you know which one), and i hope to see another showdown in the semi finals this week! with maria winning though!

!<blocparty>!
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Davenport is coming off a 2005 in which she ended the year No. 1 and she's still a contender for major titles, so she doesn't expect to leave any time soon.

No, she's not. She currently sucks badly, and needs to start beating fucking Juju and MIA OUTSIDE slams before she has a hope in hell in one.

msharafan
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:29 PM
well i agree she needs to improve a bit but shes going through a bad patch i for one think she is a great contender for wimbledon and thats as a masha fan! even thoguh i think maria will win, and if not she will lose to lindsay or venus.

Lindsayfan32
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:02 PM
well i agree she needs to improve a bit but shes going through a bad patch i for one think she is a great contender for wimbledon and thats as a masha fan! even thoguh i think maria will win, and if not she will lose to lindsay or venus.

Nice to see a Maria fan without tunnel vision. I would like Lindsay chances at Wimbledon but I would right Maria off either one thing about her she can take one hell of a beating and then bounce right back the next week and do well again.

:inlove:
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Hey, if you can still double bagel an opponent ranked in the top 90, I believe, you don't need to worry about retiring!

I think that the semi-finalists at Wimbledon may well be Davenport, Mauresmo, Sharapova and Serena/Venus/Justine (can't decide yet - the WS are so damn unpredictable! :rolleyes: )

bellascarlett
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM
If Maria does not win Wimbledon, I'd really like to see Lindsay win her final slam. It would just be a fitting end to a great career.

RJWCapriati
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I think Lindsay will come through @ Wimbledon this year. I think she should skip the French.

miss_molik
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:57 PM
i like lindsay. it will be sad when she retires

tennisboi
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Don't retire Lindsay i've a felling in my bones about Wimbledon!!

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:09 AM
No, she's not. She currently sucks badly, and needs to start beating fucking Juju and MIA OUTSIDE slams before she has a hope in hell in one.

oh okay, and lets see davenport was in the final at wimbledon, sharapova wasn't? davenport is WAY more capable of winning slams than sharapova:rolleyes: and i LIKE sharapova, so don't bring up the fact that i don't like her.