PDA

View Full Version : Martina Then and Now

alfajeffster
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
It's a difficult thing to compare a player whose career includes a 3 year absence, but I have seen a couple of her matches on TV from the Aussie, as well as clips from other tournaments, and I think she's actually improved on a couple of things in comparison to when she was on top a few years ago. Where things used to come so easy for her, she's looking like she's learned to use effective defense a bit better, and while her serve will probably never be that great- she's getting better and actually winning some cheap points now. What do you think are/were her strengths and weaknesses in comparing Martina Hingis then and now?

jas_123
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM
hingis is way better now

Hingie
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:25 AM
hingis is way better now

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Have you watched any of her matches prior to 2000?

jas_123
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM
nope sorry

clark.kent
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM
At her peak Hingis was the most consistent baseliner in tennis history. She is very consistent right now but yet to regain maximum accuracy on her groundstrokes. That will come with time. Her serve is better right now than it ever was. Her volleying is better than ever too. Her power off the ground is better than ever. She has improved nearly all parts of her game, but groundstroke consistency hasn't fully returned yet, but it will. Those flawless groundstrokes are the most important part of her game and will enable her to be number one again. She will be better in the 2nd half of her career than in the first half, when its all said and done. :tennis: :singer:

PLP
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:44 AM
At her peak Hingis was the most consistent baseliner in tennis history. She is very consistent right now but yet to regain maximum accuracy on her groundstrokes. That will come with time. Her serve is better right now than it ever was. Her volleying is better than ever too. Her power off the ground is better than ever. She has improved nearly all parts of her game, but groundstroke consistency hasn't fully returned yet, but it will. Those flawless groundstrokes are the most important part of her game and will enable her to be number one again. She will be better in the 2nd half of her career than in the first half, when its all said and done. :tennis: :singer:

I completely agree with your post. I think Martina will absolutely be adding to her singles GS's, of course doubles and mixed are nearly givens if she enters...She is probably the best doubles player who ever lived, though she doesn't have that many Doubles titles as she hasn't entered that many (except of course the early part of her career). Besides RG I keep wondering if she truly is aching to get back to #1 :) and possibly passing Evert on that list(she would need about 100 weeks I think?) :bounce: I can't help but believe that she wants it, she just isn't telling anybody, which is smart.

Anyway, I just rewatched the Sharapova match from Tokyo and she is a MUCH better player now, but like you said is still making errors at times when you know she will not be making them later this year :kiss: ...no she isn't perfect but she will start to miss less and less as she regains match toughness and gets used to her new power which will also keep growing, and how to deflect everyone elses...Who knew that Martina would someday rely on her SERVE to get her out of tough matches (Kuznetsova)! I am very excited for the Princess this year and love being able to watch her grow! P

MLF
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
At her peak Hingis was the most consistent baseliner in tennis history.

I'm assuming that you've never seen Chris Evert or Tracy Austin play. You shouldn't make sweeping statements like that without knowing the fuller picture.

Hingis won a lot of matches when she was #1 as she had that fear factor of a #1 at the time, and often had won the mental battle before going onto court. She doesn't have that this time around and had lost it before she retired so the top players on the tour who didn't play her first time round don't have a fear of her and those that are still around were scoring wins over her by the end of Martina Part 1 and so fear her even less now.

Supermonica
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I completely agree with your post. I think Martina will absolutely be adding to her singles GS's, of course doubles and mixed are nearly givens if she enters...She is probably the best doubles player who ever lived, ....

I don't think Martina will add to her singles GS's as she is almost 50 years old. And she doesn't play singles any more, IIRC.

thrust
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Neither is she the greatest doubles player of all time. If she is hitting the ball harder now, she is not likely to be as consistant as she was but will probably hit more winners and cause more errors from her opponents. I hope to see he play on TV this week and IW.

alfajeffster
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=PLP]...She is probably the best doubles player who ever lived...QUOTE]

I think it's time for you to pee in the cup for us soldier. Ever heard of Margaret Osborne duPont? Is the name Martina Navratilova current enough for you?:rolleyes: I agree that Hingis has a lot of potential to become one of the best doubles players ever, but she just doesn't play enough of it to be up there on the greatest ever list of doubles players.

spencercarlos
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Have you watched any of her matches prior to 2000?
Hingis was better then, phisically she is not running balls down the way she used to. That takes a lot out of Martina. Groundies she is hitting harder but i think her backhand, especially the DTL which was a killer is lacking these days. Alsoher return of serve is not near the way it was before.

spencercarlos
Mar 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Neither is she the greatest doubles player of all time. If she is hitting the ball harder now, she is not likely to be as consistant as she was but will probably hit more winners and cause more errors from her opponents. I hope to see he play on TV this week and IW.
But you canīt deny that whover Hingis picks to play doubles with, she wins.
That is something that you can not say about many players.
Hingis is indeed of the best ever doubles players.

swissmisshingis
Mar 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM
But you canīt deny that whover Hingis picks to play doubles with, she wins.
That is something that you can not say about many players.
Hingis is indeed of the best ever doubles players.

i agree ;)