PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Banishes Purple and Green

Hayato
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Wimbledon banishes purple and green
March 9, 2006 - 7:24PM

The tradition that oozes from Wimbledon has been compromised, with officials to no longer wear the traditional purple and green.

Chair umpires, line judges and ball-kids will instead wear navy and cream outfits following a sponsorship deal between the All England Club and Polo Ralph Lauren.

The fashion label will become the first company to sponsor official apparel in the club's 129-year history.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Wimbledon-banishes-purple-and-green/2006/03/09/1141701628181.html

__________________________________________________ ____________

Wimbledon officials get stylish
09/03/2006 12:53 - (SA)

London - Wimbledon court officials and ballkids could soon be on the best-dressed list in tennis after Wednesday's' announcement of a clothing contract between the prestige Grand Slam and the Polo Ralph Lauren fashion firm.

The summer grass-court tournament, known as much for its decorum and understated British ambience, is the second major event where the company fashion rules after an agreement last season to supply the US Open through 2008.

The clothing pact runs through 2010 and makes Polo the first official designer in Wimbledon's 129 year history.

Reflecting upon the history and heritage of English tennis, Polo will aim for an understated look of navy blue and cream, amid the traditional green-and-violet corporate colouring of the iconic event in the southwest London suburb.

"I've long been inspired by the rich heritage and traditions of England. I am thrilled to be partnering with the All England Club and playing a major role in such a historic sporting event," said company founder Ralph Lauren.

"We are delighted to have entered into this partnership with Polo Ralph Lauren," said Ian Ritchie, club chief executive.

"Wimbledon and Polo share the same non-compromising standards and determination to maintain and enhance the values for which our two brands are famous throughout the world.

"The Polo brand will bring to Wimbledon the look of timeless elegance, drawing on our rich history and traditions."

The Championships, staged June 26 to July 9, are attended by around 450 000 visitors, with 562 million homes across 183 countries watching 7 043 hours of television coverage of the event.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,6119,2-9-32_1894846,00.html

Hayato
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:19 AM
why ruin something that isn't ruined?

alwayshingis
Oh man, can we talk about the lineswomen outfits at Wimbledon....ugliest things ever.

CrossCourt~Rally
:yeah:

Martian Stacey
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:32 AM
That is a misleading headline ;) They're only changing the clothing of the officials, its not like the every other aspect of the tournament will no longer use green and purple :p

daffodil
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Any more changes in the traditions of Wimbledon will ruin tennis' greatest tournament.

I honestly believe this. First, they banish the curtsey. Now, the traditional purple and green is gone from the clothes of the officials.

VeeDaQueen
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I wonder when they'll start letting players where different colored outfits.

pcrtennis
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Wimbledon she keep as much of it's tradition as possible, I sense them trying to let it go when the tradition is exactly what makes it so special. These kinds of changes (In the name of sponsorhips) are sad...

Prizeidiot
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Any more changes in the traditions of Wimbledon will ruin tennis' greatest tournament.

I honestly believe this. First, they banish the curtsey. Now, the traditional purple and green is gone from the clothes of the officials.
My biggest issue is that it's turning into Green Clay. No one needs to volley anymore to win Wimbledon. I wouldn't mind all the other little things if Wimbledon would just stay a true fast court surface. I mean, when Tim Henman prefers the French Open surface, you know you have a problem.

Rising Sun
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:09 AM
About time. They had the ugliest outfits among the slams... :o

vertigo
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I liked the purple and green. Ralph Lauren should have kept the colours. More money for Wimbledon....

vertigo
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
About time. They had the ugliest outfits among the slams... :o

The hideous orange and light blue worn at the Australian is worse :p

mandy7
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM
orange and blue at the oz rocks!!! :rocker2:
the colours at wimbles were fine, the designs were a pain t o look at though :bigcry:

fifiricci
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I mean, when Tim Henman prefers the French Open surface, you know you have a problem.

If Tim had ever managed to win Wimbly, I hardly think you'd find him slagging off the surface. Does this whingeing pom remind you of one of your own when it comes to discussions about the surface of your home slam?

(here's a sublte hint: Lleyton Hewitt). ;)

Hayato
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
That is a misleading headline ;) They're only changing the clothing of the officials, its not like the every other aspect of the tournament will no longer use green and purple :p

Yeah but it's still a significant change.

Stamp Paid
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Wow, money talks. Tradition walks.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:46 PM

The tradition that oozes from Wimbledon has been compromised, with officials to no longer wear the traditional purple and green.

Officials in Purple and Green ?? WHEN ?

i only seen them in Green Jackets and Beige trousers :spit:
stripey green shirt :spit:
and the women in that yucky green dress :spit:

tennislover
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Oh man, can we talk about the lineswomen outfits at Wimbledon....ugliest things ever.
true

drive-volley
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Sad but true :sad: . However ugly the old outfits were, they were unique, which was cool to me. My Wimbledon is getting rid of tradition - God, You see it and You don't do anything!

Pureracket
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM
The only real tradition they need to changing is not paying the women equal prize money.

alfajeffster
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Chair umpires, line judges and ball-kids will instead wear navy and cream outfits following a sponsorship deal between the All England Club and Polo Ralph Lauren.

The fashion label will become the first company to sponsor official apparel in the club's 129-year history.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Wimbledon-banishes-purple-and-green/2006/03/09/1141701628181.html

__________________________________________________ ____________

Wimbledon officials get stylish
09/03/2006 12:53 - (SA)

London - Wimbledon court officials and ballkids could soon be on the best-dressed list in tennis after Wednesday's' announcement of a clothing contract between the prestige Grand Slam and the Polo Ralph Lauren fashion firm.

The summer grass-court tournament, known as much for its decorum and understated British ambience, is the second major event where the company fashion rules after an agreement last season to supply the US Open through 2008.

The clothing pact runs through 2010 and makes Polo the first official designer in Wimbledon's 129 year history.

Reflecting upon the history and heritage of English tennis, Polo will aim for an understated look of navy blue and cream, amid the traditional green-and-violet corporate colouring of the iconic event in the southwest London suburb.

"I've long been inspired by the rich heritage and traditions of England. I am thrilled to be partnering with the All England Club and playing a major role in such a historic sporting event," said company founder Ralph Lauren.

"We are delighted to have entered into this partnership with Polo Ralph Lauren," said Ian Ritchie, club chief executive.

"Wimbledon and Polo share the same non-compromising standards and determination to maintain and enhance the values for which our two brands are famous throughout the world.

"The Polo brand will bring to Wimbledon the look of timeless elegance, drawing on our rich history and traditions."

The Championships, staged June 26 to July 9, are attended by around 450 000 visitors, with 562 million homes across 183 countries watching 7 043 hours of television coverage of the event.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,6119,2-9-32_1894846,00.html

I'll be the first to cheer when they close the roof on Polo by Ralph Lauren at the AELTC. He's got a purple label- and Wimbledon is quite a bit more venerable than Ralphie could ever dream to be. The players in the heavens should not have to see this.

Mike_T
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM
If Wimby wants to swell it’s coffers, without compromising the traditions of The All England Club, they should try installing pay-to-view web-cams in the Ladies locker rooms.

fifiricci
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM
If Wimby wants to swell it’s coffers, without compromising the traditions of The All England Club, they should try installing pay-to-view web-cams in the Ladies locker rooms.

:lol:

And just for the sake of equality and some of us ladies, can we have the same in the mens' locker rooms? :drool:

btexas
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
It was about time.. the combination was terrible!

Klaudia
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Too bad! That is why this tournament is so special. I can't believe they will change some of the great tradition.

Lapin
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I liked the purple and green. Ralph Lauren should have kept the colours. More money for Wimbledon....

I agree! The designs weren't that great, but it's sad they're losing the traditional purple and green colours :sad:.

smiler
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Yes this is so true and so sad :( as if they don't make enough money out of wimbledon anyway - I hope they put this extra bit of cash into making the prize money equal for the ladies. In my opinion it's just absolutely disgraceful to turn your back on tradition like that. Every day I see the UK slowly turning into the US & I don't like it one bit. :sad:

alfajeffster
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM
When are the hardcourts going to be installed- that's the real question?

tennisrox
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:36 PM

The way they've been slowing down the courts, they might as well replace the grass with clay. :rolleyes:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:17 PM

lol you are sooo right:worship:

Spunky83
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:25 PM
The hideous orange and light blue worn at the Australian is worse :p

Ralph Laurenīs probably already thinking about his next big thing...on the other side thereīs still Lacoste and I am sure they hate to see one their biggest direct rivals to have one slam more than they do.

Which clothing sponsor does the AusOpen has anyway? Russel Athletic?

wally1
Mar 10th, 2006, 08:28 PM
While quite possible Wimbledon will at some time change from grass, I think it very unlikely to happen anytime within the next 20 years. Getting rid of the white clothing rule could be a little earlier...

tennisboi
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I'm not happy about this really but what can we expect from Wimbledon. It's the biggest tennis tournament in the world and the last to go commercial but I hope they keep the rest the same. Why tamper with perfection?

alfonsojose
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:28 PM
:sad: In the end, money rules :shrug:

meggz_star
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM
The only real tradition they need to changing is not paying the women equal prize money.

Couldn't agree with you more on that issue :worship:

Carmen Mairena
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:47 PM

So true! :haha:

controlfreak
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I would have gone with pink and orange.

RJWCapriati
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:33 PM
2 of the 3 of my favorite colors.....no!! :lol:

henmanhill
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Ralph Laurenīs probably already thinking about his next big thing...on the other side thereīs still Lacoste and I am sure they hate to see one their biggest direct rivals to have one slam more than they do.

Which clothing sponsor does the AusOpen has anyway? Russel Athletic?

George at Asda!

SloKid
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM
But it's a tradition. What's next? Building a roof over the centre court, pfff...:rolleyes: :p :lol:

martinailuv
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:15 PM
why ruin something that isn't ruined?

:yeah:

Soon they'll allow players to wear any colour they want. :(

daffodil
Jul 18th, 2006, 04:25 PM
My biggest issue is that it's turning into Green Clay. No one needs to volley anymore to win Wimbledon. I wouldn't mind all the other little things if Wimbledon would just stay a true fast court surface. I mean, when Tim Henman prefers the French Open surface, you know you have a problem.

Other than the grass courts, the little things are what makes Wimbledon what it is. The curtsey, the purple & green, the all-white, the Wimbledon Ball etc....If these things would be taken away from the world's greatest tennis tournament, it wouldn't feel like Wimbledon;;;it would feel like just a grass court Grand Slam tournament.