PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson pleased in Indian Wells loss

tennisrox
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Comebacking Stevenson encouraged in loss

March 9, 2006

AP - Mar 9, 7:46 pm EST
More Photos

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP) -- Alexandra Stevenson was encouraged by her play in a 7-6 (1), 6-2 loss to Croatia's Ivana Lisjak in the first round of the Pacific Life Open on Thursday.

Stevenson has spent the past 17 months recuperating from surgery to repair a torn labrum in her right shoulder. She was a semifinalist at Wimbledon as a WTA Tour rookie in 1999 and ranked No. 18 in the world at the close of the 2002 season.

Her ranking now at No. 617, Stevenson was given a wild card into this event, and she said her first set against Lisjak was probably the most competitive she's played in two years.

But at 5-6 she felt pain in her rebuilt shoulder, and after losing the tiebreaker, she was advised to quit by the tour trainer. Instead, she won the opening two games of the second set before Lisjak took command.

"I haven't played a set like that in two years and I pretty much haven't played tennis like that," Stevenson said, an ice pack taped to her shoulder. "I guess the shoulder got fatigued and then it strained a little bit. It's just bad luck."

Stevenson, 25, cried briefly when she talked about what it felt like to walk on the court and hear the crowd cheer for her. She is 0-5 this year, the previous four losses coming in minor-league Challenger tournaments, but she is convinced that brighter days are ahead.

"I'm getting close," she said. "Today I played some good points and I felt like I belonged on the court for the first time (since the surgery). I see each day progressively getting better.

"I think I'm hitting the ball better than I ever have been and I think I'm smarter on the court. It's just a matter of putting it all together and getting my serve back. Everything else has come back progressively better each week."

Lisjak will meet No. 6 seed Flavia Pennetta in the second round, which begins Friday along with the opening round of the men's tournament.

Others advancing were Lourdes Dominguez Lino of Spain, Stephanie Foretz and Severine Bremond of France, Viktoriya Kutuzova of the Ukraine, Na Li of China, and Bethanie Mattek and Vania King of the U.S.

How her priorities have changed..... ;)

darrinbaker00
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:37 AM
If only a couple of Alex's friends had her commitment.....

Kunal
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:37 AM
so she played a tennis match after how many years?

Kunal
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:41 AM
whatever happened to her...

LefandePatty
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM
:worship:

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Go Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Work it baby!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO

Equipped
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Funny, but I'm kinda pleased she lost, too. (Go Lisjak!)

S-T-E-V-E
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Smarter on court? She was never smart and she will never be....

jacobruiz
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Well, good luck to her; perhaps the shoulder surgery will give her a reason to commit to restarting her career.

spencercarlos
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
"I haven't played a set like that in two years and I pretty much haven't played tennis like that,"
I really doubt that playing a tiebreak against the 126th ranked player is hardly an acomplishment.
And her comment is really dumb about not playing that much tennis, as she has played 5 tournaments on the past six weeks.

She sounded like this is her first tournament back in so long. She also played some events at the end of last year. :confused: :tape:

Indian Wells USA
WT 08 Mar 2006 to 19 Mar 2006 Entry : WC Hard (O)
128 Ivana LISJAK (CRO) 6-7 2-6

$75,000 Las Vegas USA
C75 28 Feb 2006 to 05 Mar 2006 Entry : WC Hard (O)
32 L Maria-Emilia SALERNI (ARG) 2-6 2-6

Memphis USA
WT 19 Feb 2006 to 25 Feb 2006 Entry : WC Hard (O)
32 L Sofia ARVIDSSON (SWE) 2-6 4-6

$75,000 Midland, MI USA
C75 07 Feb 2006 to 12 Feb 2006 Entry : WC Hard (O)
32 L Maria-Jose ARGERI (ARG) 3-6 6-1 3-6

$25,000 Rockford, IL Qualifying Draw USA
C25 29 Jan 2006 to 30 Jan 2006 Entry : DA Hard (O)
32 L Eva FISLOVA (SVK) 4-6 7-6(5) 4-6

Williams-forever
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Its good news that she feels better on court now...:yeah:

vogus
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:37 PM
what Stevenson should be especially pleased about is that Yahoo published an article on HER match, instead of some 30-odd others that were also played yesterday at IW.

Williams-forever
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM
"I haven't played a set like that in two years and I pretty much haven't played tennis like that,"
I really doubt that playing a tiebreak against the 126th ranked player is hardly an acomplishment.
And her comment is really dumb about not playing that much tennis, as she has played 5 tournaments on the past six weeks.

She sounded like this is her first tournament back in so long. She also played some events at the end of last year. :confused: :tape:

Indian Wells USA
WT 08 Mar 2006 to 19 Mar 2006 Entry : WC Hard (O)
128 Ivana LISJAK (CRO) 6-7 2-6

$75,000 Las Vegas USA
C75 28 Feb 2006 to 05 Mar 2006 Entry : WC Hard (O)
32 L Maria-Emilia SALERNI (ARG) 2-6 2-6

Memphis USA
WT 19 Feb 2006 to 25 Feb 2006 Entry : WC Hard (O)
32 L Sofia ARVIDSSON (SWE) 2-6 4-6

$75,000 Midland, MI USA
C75 07 Feb 2006 to 12 Feb 2006 Entry : WC Hard (O)
32 L Maria-Jose ARGERI (ARG) 3-6 6-1 3-6

$25,000 Rockford, IL Qualifying Draw USA
C25 29 Jan 2006 to 30 Jan 2006 Entry : DA Hard (O)
32 L Eva FISLOVA (SVK) 4-6 7-6(5) 4-6

Its her best result giving of the rankings...Only Salerni and Arvidsson is higher placed than Lisjak and she won more games against her...Even though i think she accomplished a bit more in her match against Arvidsson...But who knows, if her shoulder has been better, then im sure she would have won at least a set...

Lachrymarum
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'm glad to see that Alex is being positive about a comeback and feeling better with each tournament. It seems as though her priorities are back on track.
:)

spencercarlos
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Its her best result giving of the rankings...Only Salerni and Arvidsson is higher placed than Lisjak and she won more games against her...Even though i think she accomplished a bit more in her match against Arvidsson...But who knows, if her shoulder has been better, then im sure she would have won at least a set...
What result? She just lost in straight sets to the 124th ranked player, she had a great draw, one of the worst ranked players on this kind of event.
She played a Tiebreak set against this player, so what? If she had challenged a top 20 player like that on this stage, could be something.
Sure its not easy to comeback, but she has a lot more work to do.

SelesFan70
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I'm glad to see that Alex is being positive about a comeback and feeling better with each tournament. It seems as though her priorities are back on track.

Jakeev
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Nobody mentioned that her shoulder nearly gave out on her. The woman needs to stay off a tennis court until that shoulder can survive match after match without pain..........

Williams-forever
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:07 PM
What result? She just lost in straight sets to the 124th ranked player, she had a great draw, one of the worst ranked players on this kind of event.
She played a Tiebreak set against this player, so what? If she had challenged a top 20 player like that on this stage, could be something.
Sure its not easy to comeback, but she has a lot more work to do.

Yeah she has a lot more to do, but with her mind focused on tennis, (which she says it is) then it isn't impossible for her, to reach her goals...
And it seems like the only way for her to get out of the pain, is to let her shoulder play more tennis...She complained about "getting it used to the level"...

borisy
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Wow is she already 25? A comeback is impossible at that age.

spencercarlos
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah she has a lot more to do, but with her mind focused on tennis, (which she says it is) then it isn't impossible for her, to reach her goals...
And it seems like the only way for her to get out of the pain, is to let her shoulder play more tennis...She complained about "getting it used to the level"...
She canīt continue playing more tennis to get used to it, she already has a sore shoulder, she should do some training in order to get her muscles stronger and avoid the injury, and eventaully of course prepare it to endure playing long matches.
Contrary to what Borisy said (not sure if he did it on sarcasm) i think she is still young to compete, and if she finds consistency on her game, she will win matches again for sure.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Wow is she already 25? A comeback is impossible at that age.

Umm Hingis?:rolleyes: I hope you were being sarcastic.

I'm glad to see Alex showing some commitment and really sticking this out despite the difficult times. It's very admirable on her part and I hope she starts experiencing some success.

At the same time, by her own admission, she said her opening set against Ivana was the best she's had in two years. That in itself is proof she is nowhere near ready to play on the WTA Tour again. She needs to go back to challenger/satellites and stay there. It's going to be a while before she gets her ranking back into the top 100. She's not Hingis and she's not going to be cracking the top 30 within three months. She should play challengers and satellites full time and get her match form back so when she starts getting wild cards into WTA events again, she'll be in a position to actually do something with them.

Williams-forever
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Umm Hingis?:rolleyes: I hope you were being sarcastic.

I'm glad to see Alex showing some commitment and really sticking this out despite the difficult times. It's very admirable on her part and I hope she starts experiencing some success.

At the same time, by her own admission, she said her opening set against Ivana was the best she's had in two years. That in itself is proof she is nowhere near ready to play on the WTA Tour again. She needs to go back to challenger/satellites and stay there. It's going to be a while before she gets her ranking back into the top 100. She's not Hingis and she's not going to be cracking the top 30 within three months. She should play challengers and satellites full time and get her match form back so when she starts getting wild cards into WTA events again, she'll be in a position to actually do something with them.

Yeah, ITF's may be the answer...If she says she is feeling better each day, shes not a long way from winning a couple of matches there. That would give her some confidence and maybe it would engage her to work even harder.

About the age comment :rolleyes: :o :retard:

LHarris1
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Good luck Alex....keep your head up and keep striving for what you want...you don't have to please anyone but yourself!

Slumpsova
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
she can't even win a qualifying match in 25K but still has a lot of WCs to waste :o :rolleyes:

Martian KC
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Lol.

Daniel
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:00 PM
lol