PDA

View Full Version : How can the WTA market the tour better?

Morrissey
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:21 AM
If you were the CEO of the WTA what would you do to make the WTA more fan friendly? Also what would you do to make sure the top women participate in events? I have a few suggestions.

1. Pay the women more money: I look at the Masters events and the men's champ gets $400,000 dollars yet on the WTA most tier I events its only 189,0000 with the exception of Miami and Indian Wells. Also I believe those two events pay the men more.

2.Pay more money at the tier II and tier III level

3. Have more meetings..try to reach out to the top women..to help them to see its important for them to support the tour more..

4. Be nice to the top women..because if you're not nice to them...they will not listen to you...

tennisjay
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I think the biggest problem with the WTA is that the two biggest stars on the tour are boycotting the tour right now for good reasons. I honestly think that there is no return of the good wta we knew and loved, because they have settled for second and third best, but I want say who they are.

wateva
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:18 AM
publish nude calenders of the players. :hehehe:

Wiggly
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:27 AM
publish nude calenders of the players. :hehehe:

Women tennis would lost respect for decades... :rolleyes:

fammmmedspin
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Produce some decent competitive GS finals.

Find a new top US player and hope the Germans, Japanese, Brits and Chinese find a top player too.

Pray Hingis or a sister wins a GS this year.

ico4498
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:53 AM
women's tennis has such rich themes ...

1.) personally i believe the men's game provides a more pleasing visual aesthetic ... so i'd ride the contrasting personalities/cultures to spark interest.

2.) for professional female athletes the WTA remains a prime source for income ... encourage (financial support!) diversity. the tour will be stronger and its a no brainer that the Williams, Mirza, Peng, etc adds different groups to the mix. (p.s. attracting top male athletes is much more difficult ...lotsa opportunities for a world class male athlete)

3.) herd the various powers that profit from the WTA to an advertising budget. yeah, yeah ... its an impossible goal.

4.) my personal fav. ... blow (no perv, i'm talking dynamite) the hell out of the WTA ... start anew. (not my original idea btw ... Navratilova suggested this ages ago)

ezekiel
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:55 AM
stop throwing stereotypical kournikova and williams clones because we are all sick of them. Find something original.
As far as the rules, make players forfeit money if they withdraw from a match and make about 10 events like masters events a must for top 50 players or they lose.

tennisjay
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:01 AM
stop throwing stereotypical kournikova and williams clones because we are all sick of them. Find something original.
As far as the rules, make players forfeit money if they withdraw from a match and make about 10 events like masters events a must for top 50 players or they lose.

Forfeit money if they withdraw, are you serious. You mean to tell me a player don't deserve to keep their earnings when they work hard to make it to the next rounds.

ezekiel
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:08 AM
I mean it's too easy to withdraw and fans get screwed and sport loses reputation. It doesn't happen in any other sport or at least not as easy.

anlavalle
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:09 AM
have a tv program of the wta tour

ico4498
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:11 AM

pretty good formulae to kill interest.

Anna, Venus & Serena brought women's tennis to groups that wouldn't ordinarily follow tennis.

wanna grow the sport? ... throw some accolades their way and encourage the new folks.

VeeDaQueen
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:26 AM
There isn't one dominant figure. I must say I like men's tennis more than I did three years ago now that Federer is dominating. Women's tennis needs one, too. If only Serena would get off her lazy ass.

Wiggly
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:43 AM
WTA should have more high night match drama (each year, it's seems drama is only at US Open :rolleyes: )

Less 6-0 6-0 trash, not exciting at all :tape:

Ferosh
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:24 AM
By marketing other players besides the usual ones. I wont name names.

Veritas
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Produce some decent competitive GS finals.

Find a new top US player and hope the Germans, Japanese, Brits and Chinese find a top player too.

Pray Hingis or a sister wins a GS this year.

And more diversity as well. The tour's gotten boring ever since the Russian brigade swarmed through with its fleet in 2004.

darrinbaker00
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:21 AM
If you were the CEO of the WTA what would you do to make the WTA more fan friendly? Also what would you do to make sure the top women participate in events? I have a few suggestions.

1. Pay the women more money: I look at the Masters events and the men's champ gets $400,000 dollars yet on the WTA most tier I events its only 189,0000 with the exception of Miami and Indian Wells. Also I believe those two events pay the men more.

2.Pay more money at the tier II and tier III level

3. Have more meetings..try to reach out to the top women..to help them to see its important for them to support the tour more..

4. Be nice to the top women..because if you're not nice to them...they will not listen to you...
1 and 2. You can't offer what you don't have. If the tour can get more deep-pocket sponsors involved, the prize money will increase.

3 and 4. First-round byes, free airfare and lodging, per diem allowances, no repercussions for habitually withdrawing from tournaments.....how much nicer can the tour be?

tommyk75
Mar 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I don't really think the public cares that much about prize money (although of course the players do).

I say: Get rid of small events and instead make the big events even bigger. In fact, I say merge the ATP & WTA Tours into a Grand Prix Series of 10-12 two-week co-ed events (just like Miami and Indian Wells) in addition to Davis/Fed Cup & the Slams. And have the season end in October at the latest. Right now, the tour is too long and too spread out, with all the parties (players, ATP/WTA, tournament directors) all at odds with each other. I say bring everything together and save the spotlight for the events that really do matter.

Sample tour: Sydney - MELBOURNE - Johannesburg - Key Biscayne - Buenos Aires/Sao Paulo (rotating) - Barcelona/Madrid - Monte Carlo - Rome - PARIS - Halle - WIMBLEDON - Los Angeles - Montreal/Toronto - FLUSHING MEADOW - Davis/Fed Cup (played together over 2 weeks) - Shanghai/Tokyo.

Helen Lawson
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Whatever money they required, I'd pay: Little Masha and Big Masha play doubles at all the tournaments.

Aquanetta
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Promote the players as ATHLETES, as opposed to cover girls.

drive-volley
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I think the biggest problem with the WTA is that the two biggest stars on the tour are boycotting the tour right now for good reasons. I honestly think that there is no return of the good wta we knew and loved, because they have settled for second and third best, but I want say who they are.
:worship:

tennisjay
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Promote the players as ATHLETES, as opposed to cover girls.

Amen.

IceHock
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:12 PM
well i think for fans at tourneys they should have events like they did at the las vegas open i mean they had paddle tennis and a bunch of festivities that looked fun.they should have some music goin on durin the matches,and i think to get the players to play more the host tourneys need to offer them more to get them to play.they need to pamper them i know sound kinda weird but if you give them things most likely they will play

Corswandt
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM

That's the biggest problem for you, because you are a fan of those players whose name you won't say. Or you suppose every problem with the WTA would disappear, and women's tennis would become the biggest sport in the world, should those players whose name you won't say become contenders for the big titles again?

tennisjay
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:32 PM
That's the biggest problem for you, because you are a fan of those players whose name you won't say. Or you suppose every problem with the WTA would disappear, and women's tennis would become the biggest sport in the world, should those players whose name you won't say become contenders for the big titles again?

Honestly that wouldn't solve it either. The wta has an uphill battle one of the so called tennis great of the game said the WS where bad for tennis made it seem tennis was dead to people who just beginning to watch tennis because of them. When you make stupid statements like that you don't do the WTA any service. Martina should have just kept her nasty mouth closed and let the WS take the WTA to new hights, but I beat she along with the Mary C, John M, P Mac, and the other haters are eating their words now.