PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Davenport play Miami??

henree
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Was just wondering why she hasn't played Miami all these years?

cometz9
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:07 AM
i think she doesn't like the conditions there, really windy and the last few times she played there, she had injuries.

Martina2
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Well she always plays Indian Wells the week before and she isnt really the type of player who's body consistently holds up playing many weeks in a row even though her finess has imporved out of sight. (at least from 2002 onwards)

Also a more important point i think is that the fast desert air in california suits her game so well, whereas the conditions in Florida can cause her problems as it is more humid and therefore the ball is slower......I remember the 2000 Miami final where the windy conditions completely neutralised her.

vogus
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:12 AM
because people from California dislike Florida, and vice versa. It's a rivalry.

Elldee
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:29 AM
She loves Amelia and Indian Wells, so it makes sense to skip it and not play lots of weeks in a row. Injuries. Unfavourable conditions. She's playing this year though, cause, you know, she has to and it will help keep her ranking up.

ys
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:30 AM
The conditions in there are not really appropriate for quality tennis.. She is right.. I also don't like the tourney.

Pheobo
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Because IW is better :worship:

Volcana
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I think she finds that playing IW, then skipping Miami, givers her a chance to spend an extra two weeks at home with her Mom, and now her husband. She's real close with her Mom, and her husband doesn't travel with her, so that's a good time for a break, since the tour has just returned from Europe and Africa (or if you prefer, the 'Middle East').

The only real downside is that Davenport is the task facilitator on the women's tour. If she doesn't play Miami, the whole idea of mandatory tournaments goes out the window. Davenport isn't a maverick. If she does something, that's damn nnear the 'Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval'.

tennisjay
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Itís wonderful how everyone seems to be speaking for Lindsay here and no one knows her personally on this board. Only Lindsay knows and until she says why we will never know.

Andrew..
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:18 AM
She's said most of the above. She hates the conditions, and she gets injured.

Personally, if I was a top player, I'd avoid Miami like the plague. The conditions are awful, and a pain to play in.

cartmancop
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I think its b/c she has had several injuries @ Miami, as others said. Didn't she screw up her knee here really bad one year? I don't blame her...she has earned the right to avoid a tournament she dislikes and might consider unlucky...

mike/topgun
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Lindz doesn't like Miami - that's a fact. She damaged her knee badly in 2001 against Dementieva and next time she played there (in 2003) went out to Bartoli. The condidtions are so hard there - heat, humid, windy and the schedule. She'll play this year it seems. And one more thing I'd add to the above - maybe the court surface is slightly different from decoturf/plexipave...its slower I think not only becouse of the weather conditions.
However, I wonder why she does like Amelia Island where the courts are even slower and the conditions are more or less the same as in Miami:p

Slumpsova
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM
she just wants to give other players a chance to win big title :devil:

vogus
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Davenport isn't a maverick. If she does something, that's damn nnear the 'Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval'.

a well noted point.

416_Man
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM
She doesn't like Spanish people :shrug:

vogus
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
However, I wonder why she does like Amelia Island where the courts are even slower and the conditions are more or less the same as in Miami:p

Amelia is almost 400 miles north of Miami, so it's not as hot, and the AI site is surrounded by trees that block the wind. Totally different conditions.

mike/topgun
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Of course you're right Vogus, but still AI is held on an island and the surface there is clay - green clay but always 'clay'.I do agree bout the heat, but wind is always someway a factor when you play on 'the coast'.

msharafan
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM
is dav not playing miami i though it was compulsery?

LoveFifteen
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Lindsay has said many times that she just doesn't like the tournament, and she's also had a lot of bad luck there. So she figures, why bother to return now that I am in the twilight of my career ... I can afford to pick and choose where I play now.

SelesFan70
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:22 PM
She doesn't like Spanish people :shrug:

:confused:

vogus
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM
is dav not playing miami i though it was compulsery?

it IS compulsery, but Dav is sticking her tongue out at the WTA and refusing to play it anyway.

alfonsojose
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Amelia is almost 400 miles north of Miami, so it's not as hot, and the AI site is surrounded by trees that block the wind. Totally different conditions.
:yeah:

Andrew..
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:26 PM
it IS compulsery, but Dav is sticking her tongue out at the WTA and refusing to play it anyway.
This year she's not playing? :confused:

tennisboi
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Well she always plays Indian Wells the week before and she isnt really the type of player who's body consistently holds up playing many weeks in a row even though her finess has imporved out of sight. (at least from 2002 onwards).

IMO this is the reason

Carmen Mairena
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Lindsay :worship: