PDA

View Full Version : * DRAMATIC MATCH WRITE UP* Bethanie MATTEK fights past Nicole PRATT...6-7, 6-4 & 6-3!

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:26 PM
:bowdown: WHAT A FIGHT BETH! :worship: Good luck in rd 2 !!! :D :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM
3 hrs 11 minutes and 46 seconds. BETH IS FIT !!! :worship: :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
BETH will play SANIA MIRZA IN R D2 ! ;) :bounce:

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Pratty :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Corswandt
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:34 PM
It took me poking fun at her outfits on that "goth chicks" thread for Mattek to decide No way I'm gonna let some loser on the Internet have the last laugh! I'll DIE rather than lose this match! That'll show him!

Maybe I should start a thread ridiculing Lena's outfits or hairstyle.

UDACHi
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Well, I think she'll lose to Mirza. So many long matches, even an off form Sania should be able to take her out. :p

CooCooCachoo
Good win for Bethanie :hearts:

But Mirza will be too tough.

CrossCourt~Rally
It took me poking fun at her outfits on that "goth chicks" thread for Mattek to decide No way I'm gonna let some loser on the Internet have the last laugh! I'll DIE rather than lose this match! That'll show him!

Maybe I should start a thread ridiculing Lena's outfits or hairstyle.

:lol: ;)

iPatty
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Nicole. :sad: But a great job on qualifying.

Congrats, Bethanie. :yeah: I think Sania will be too strong, but you've done well to win a Main Draw match.

cometz9
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Beth :banana: what a long battle but you pull thru, good luck against Sania :yeah:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 9th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Beth :banana: what a long battle but you pull thru, good luck against Sania :yeah:

:wavey:

Corswandt
Mar 9th, 2006, 11:45 PM
So I've just been at the IW website checking the pics. And my question is: WHO OR WHAT CONVINCED PRATT THAT SHE WOULD LOOK GOOD ON NIKE'S HANTUCHOVA/MYSKINA TOP?.

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/en/players/photogallery/photos/2006-03-09/f_pic-09-03-06-n08-g.jpg

I hope she wasn't wearing the shorts too. :scared:

I was going to hit the sack and get some badly needed sleep, but I'm afraid I'm too shaken for that now.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM
So I've just been at the IW website checking the pics. And my question is: WHO OR WHAT CONVINCED PRATT THAT SHE WOULD LOOK GOOD ON NIKE'S HANTUCHOVA/MYSKINA TOP?.

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/en/players/photogallery/photos/2006-03-09/f_pic-09-03-06-n08-g.jpg

I was going to hit the sack and get some badly needed sleep, but I'm afraid I'm too shaken for that now.

She looks a bit like Sharon Stone there :eek:

starr
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I saw this match from beginning to end! What a match. It had everything. It was so dramatic and things got a little personal, and I have to say

I LOVE BETHANY MATTEK!!!! Oh my god, she is so much fun to watch! So much fun. The girl SERVES AND VOLLEYS. She comes to the net over and over and over and over and puts away great volleys, and gets down in her serve and fights and scraps and digs out everything she can. I watched parts of her two qualie matches too and I knew from that I wanted to see this match today, and it was worth it. SO long!!! Babies grew up and went to college. But it was tense and exciting and ... Bethany! What can I say? She looks like she belongs at the skate park with the boys. But she's got her cute little flowered skirt and torso hugging top on to contrast with her black cap and black shoes. She's a doll.

Btw, Pratt looked a lot nicer in person than in that photo. The outfit looked fine on her. She looks very fit and athletic.

If anyone is interested in a match write up let me know, and I'll send you all the drama filled details. :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:19 AM
I saw this match from beginning to end! What a match. It had everything. It was so dramatic and things got a little personal, and I have to say

I LOVE BETHANY MATTEK!!!! Oh my god, she is so much fun to watch! So much fun. The girl SERVES AND VOLLEYS. She comes to the net over and over and over and over and puts away great volleys, and gets down in her serve and fights and scraps and digs out everything she can. I watched parts of her two qualie matches too and I knew from that I wanted to see this match today, and it was worth it. SO long!!! Babies grew up and went to college. But it was tense and exciting and ... Bethany! What can I say? She looks like she belongs at the skate park with the boys. But she's got her cute little flowered skirt and torso hugging top on to contrast with her black cap and black shoes. She's a doll.

Btw, Pratt looked a lot nicer in person than in that photo. The outfit looked fine on her. She looks very fit and athletic.

If anyone is interested in a match write up let me know, and I'll send you all the drama filled details. :)

I would love to here a MATCH WRITE UP :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Ps...How did things get personal on court?? ;) :bounce:

tucker1989
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:21 AM

I would also love a match write-up, Bethanie :hearts:

Meesh
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Of course Bethanie won cuz I spent all my vcash (a whole 2 dollars) on Nicole

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Of course Bethanie won cuz I spent all my vcash (a whole 2 dollars) on Nicole

:spit:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Waiting for the dramatic write up... ;) :bounce:

starr
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I would also love a match write-up, Bethanie :hearts:

Ok... Just for you and Frazier Force. :)

This is from an email I sent to a friend tonight about the matches I saw today. Just pretend Bethany is Bethanie... cause I've been misspelling her name. :) and I'm too lazy to go back and correct everyone.

Now, I had to miss some of the matches you were interested in because I wanted to see Bethany Mattek against Nicole Pratt. here were two qualifiers -- one a young fighter, and the other a veteran trying for a comeback. I had watched Bethany, or "B" as her coach calls her, in her qualifying matches and knew her to be a gritty fighter who didn't give up. I thought that could make for an interesting match.

So it did. It went 3 hours and 12 minutes. Nearly all of them hard fought except for the two injury timeoutsl. :eek: Bethany is so much fun to watch. She comes to the net and even serves and volleys... I know that is hard to believe, but it is part of her game. She wants the short ball and works her way to the net as well and puts away some tremendous volleys when she gets there. Her big weakness is that she will put backhands into the net... I mean low into the net for apparently no reason. Bethany was up a break in the first set and looked to be going great guns, and then got careless on her own serve to be broken. The set went to a tiebreak and there were minibreaks back and forth, but finally, Pratt won it 8-6. Already the match was over an hour long. But so much excitement and fun!! I didn't want to leave to check out Stevenson on court 2... and just as well because... well just because.

Second set, Bethany got an early break. She was looking good, but while ahead... I think 4-2, she called for a trainer and had her feet attended to. My seatmate verified with his binoculars that she had blisters and bad ones at that on her right foot.. toes. And then they doctored the second foot as well. At one point Nicole was up looking at the feet and talking and pointing. My seatmate was laughing and saying... yeah, she's saying, oh you'll never be able to play with feet like that. :lol:

Anyway, she managed to hold serve and seemed to be testing her feet a little bit. At first she had a little hop in her step like she was trying to avoid limping, and then she was running again and charging the net and everything seemed fine as she won the second set. All through the set there's plenty of Come Ons and fist pumping and looking at her coach.

Again, an early break in the third set, and then another break. It's looking swell for our girl. The games are always close though and very few are won at love or 15 all through the match. Bethany again got careless on her serve, and lost one break. Plus Nicole is playing some great shot and getting crowd support. She even takes a bow when the crowd that has been totally behind Bethany cheers one of her shots.

Then when Nicole was serving Bethany took a nasty fall... nasty.. She laid face down on the court breathing fast and shallowly. Her legs were writhing as one does when in pain. Immediately when she went down, her coach... siting a few rows away, called... Get up B. She didn't respond. A linesman brought her towels, but clearly she didint' want towels. She was just lying there face down. The umpire was down looking at her too, but there was apparently no trainer to be had. Her coach called again. Try to get up! Bethany responded firmly and clearly, Fuck you, [coach's name]. But about 3 minutes later her legs quieted and she rolled over and got to her feet and walked without limping excessively to her chair and put her left foot up on a chair. The trainer came and taped her foot. Don't know where the trainer had been during the previous 7 minutes! I mean, I was almost crying looking at her lying there on the court.

Then she was up, and limping a bit and lost that game. There's only a one break cushion now, but she also has only to win 2 more games for the victory. Drama on her serve. But suddenly she is fighting and running and charging the net again. Nicole is pissed. She is muttering behind the baseline... one woman thought she said something about "drama queen" And then during Nicole's serve, Bethany trots to the sideline and changes her racquet. Nicole is steaming now. "Are you ready now?" "yup" "Are you sure everything is all right?" (heavy scarcasm) "Perfect" is the reply. And then the game is on. Fight fight fight. deuce. match point duece match point deuce. and then it's finally over as Nicole once again hits out on the sideline.

There was a nice firm handshake at the net. I had wondered if there would be one at all. Hope Bethany recovers because next up is Mirza. :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:06 AM

This is from an email I sent to a friend tonight about the matches I saw today. Just pretend Bethany is Bethanie... cause I've been misspelling her name. :) and I'm too lazy to go back and correct everyone.

Now, I had to miss some of the matches you were interested in because I wanted to see Bethany Mattek against Nicole Pratt. here were two qualifiers -- one a young fighter, and the other a veteran trying for a comeback. I had watched Bethany, or "B" as her coach calls her, in her qualifying matches and knew her to be a gritty fighter who didn't give up. I thought that could make for an interesting match.

So it did. It went 3 hours and 12 minutes. Nearly all of them hard fought except for the two injury timeoutsl. :eek: Bethany is so much fun to watch. She comes to the net and even serves and volleys... I know that is hard to believe, but it is part of her game. She wants the short ball and works her way to the net as well and puts away some tremendous volleys when she gets there. Her big weakness is that she will put backhands into the net... I mean low into the net for apparently no reason. Bethany was up a break in the first set and looked to be going great guns, and then got careless on her own serve to be broken. The set went to a tiebreak and there were minibreaks back and forth, but finally, Pratt won it 8-6. Already the match was over an hour long. But so much excitement and fun!! I didn't want to leave to check out Stevenson on court 2... and just as well because... well just because.

Second set, Bethany got an early break. She was looking good, but while ahead... I think 4-2, she called for a trainer and had her feet attended to. My seatmate verified with his binoculars that she had blisters and bad ones at that on her right foot.. toes. And then they doctored the second foot as well. At one point Nicole was up looking at the feet and talking and pointing. My seatmate was laughing and saying... yeah, she's saying, oh you'll never be able to play with feet like that. :lol:

Anyway, she managed to hold serve and seemed to be testing her feet a little bit. At first she had a little hop in her step like she was trying to avoid limping, and then she was running again and charging the net and everything seemed fine as she won the second set. All through the set there's plenty of Come Ons and fist pumping and looking at her coach.

Again, an early break in the third set, and then another break. It's looking swell for our girl. The games are always close though and very few are won at love or 15 all through the match. Bethany again got careless on her serve, and lost one break. Plus Nicole is playing some great shot and getting crowd support. She even takes a bow when the crowd that has been totally behind Bethany cheers one of her shots.

Then when Nicole was serving Bethany took a nasty fall... nasty.. She laid face down on the court breathing fast and shallowly. Her legs were writhing as one does when in pain. Immediately when she went down, her coach... siting a few rows away, called... Get up B. She didn't respond. A linesman brought her towels, but clearly she didint' want towels. She was just lying there face down. The umpire was down looking at her too, but there was apparently no trainer to be had. Her coach called again. Try to get up! Bethany responded firmly and clearly, Fuck you, [coach's name]. But about 3 minutes later her legs quieted and she rolled over and got to her feet and walked without limping excessively to her chair and put her left foot up on a chair. The trainer came and taped her foot. Don't know where the trainer had been during the previous 7 minutes! I mean, I was almost crying looking at her lying there on the court.

Then she was up, and limping a bit and lost that game. There's only a one break cushion now, but she also has only to win 2 more games for the victory. Drama on her serve. But suddenly she is fighting and running and charging the net again. Nicole is pissed. She is muttering behind the baseline... one woman thought she said something about "drama queen" And then during Nicole's serve, Bethany trots to the sideline and changes her racquet. Nicole is steaming now. "Are you ready now?" "yup" "Are you sure everything is all right?" (heavy scarcasm) "Perfect" is the reply. And then the game is on. Fight fight fight. deuce. match point duece match point deuce. and then it's finally over as Nicole once again hits out on the sideline.

There was a nice firm handshake at the net. I had wondered if there would be one at all. Hope Bethany recovers because next up is Mirza. :)

:haha: :bigclap: :yeah: :drive:

AUSBOY
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Sounds like Betthany has been watching too much of Meng Yuan!!

Seems to be a new tactic to pretend you are severly injured, almost dead, making your opponent start to think they are going to get a walkover by taking a huge amount of time out, then coming back on court with no real problems and winning as your opponent is so pissed off!

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:18 AM

Seems to be a new tactic to pretend you are severly injured, almost dead, making your opponent start to think they are going to get a walkover by taking a huge amount of time out, then coming back on court with no real problems and winning as your opponent is so pissed off!

...or she could have been really hurt.

Mr_Molik
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:26 AM
...or she could have been really hurt.
yea she must have been soooooo hurt to be able to finish, and win, the match :rolleyes:

starr
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:30 AM

no, no... you weren't there. I was only a few rows from where she went down. She went down with a scream and she went down in an awkward position, and she laid there with that awful rapid shallow breathing that signals pain, fright, etc. She wasn't acting that, and she didn't fake the fall either. And although her upper body was still... she was holding the injured foot up in the air and her other leg was writheing... as one does when in pain. She definitely hurt herself, and I think she was completely frightented that it was very very bad, and was trying to gather herself. The time out need not have been so long except the trainer took FOREVER to get there. Once the trainer was there, it was quickly treated. Also we don't know how Behanie will pull up tomorrow.

And to put it honestly, Nicole was tired tired tired and her nerves were on edge.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Why can't the top 10 players get so personal ;)

Alicia Rocks
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Nice write-up :p

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:51 AM
no, no... you weren't there. I was only a few rows from where she went down. She went down with a scream and she went down in an awkward position, and she laid there with that awful rapid shallow breathing that signals pain, fright, etc. She wasn't acting that, and she didn't fake the fall either. And although her upper body was still... she was holding the injured foot up in the air and her other leg was writheing... as one does when in pain. She definitely hurt herself, and I think she was completely frightented that it was very very bad, and was trying to gather herself. The time out need not have been so long except the trainer took FOREVER to get there. Once the trainer was there, it was quickly treated. Also we don't know how Behanie will pull up tomorrow.

And to put it honestly, Nicole was tired tired tired and her nerves were on edge.

Thanks for clearing that up... :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:53 AM
yea she must have been soooooo hurt to be able to finish, and win, the match :rolleyes:

THATS what INJURY TIME OUTS are for. To get yourself fixed up so you can play and finish the match ! :rolleyes:

~Carsten~
Mar 10th, 2006, 08:19 AM
wow what a turn! Congrats Beth! great fight!

SloKid
Mar 10th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Bethanie - what a character :worship:
Great fight :banana:
I wish I could've seen that match :(

SloKid
Mar 10th, 2006, 08:40 AM
She does wear those too :lol:
http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/en/players/photogallery/photos/2006-03-06/f_pic-06-03-06-n08-g.jpg

Sebastien123
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
hey Starr, thank you very much for your write up, i really enjoyed reading it, once again thank you :yeah:

Hachiko
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks very much for the great review. I'm really suprised Mattek swore, that must have been rather awkward for the crowd as well as the coach. Poor Nicole though!

xXSarajevoXx
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Bethanie :D

Dexter
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Great fight Bethanie :worship: Congrats!

Corswandt
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Bethany is so much fun to watch. She comes to the net and even serves and volleys... I know that is hard to believe, but it is part of her game. She wants the short ball and works her way to the net as well and puts away some tremendous volleys when she gets there.

[...]

Whoa. Thanks for the report.

Net game and S&V? If I ever catch Mattek on teevee, I'll bet she'll get herself a new fan.

starr
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:11 PM
There's a picture of Bethanie up on the Pac Life Open site now that captures her perfectly.

Yeah Bethanie has a net game... but I don't know how it will hold up against the big girls. I don't know if she can play that game with the power coming at her.

starr
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks very much for the great review. I'm really suprised Mattek swore, that must have been rather awkward for the crowd as well as the coach. Poor Nicole though!

:lol: It wasn't the first time we heard her curse. One time she was talking to herself after she hit the ball into the net yet again, and she said "just hit the fucking ball" She said it in normal tones, but we were close to the court and heard it distinctly.

Her coach just put his head down on the railing in front of him... he's young guy.. he looked like... I should have known to keep my mouth shut. Almost amused. He was so young and so caught up in the whole thing.. Sometimes he was sitting there with his fists clenched in front of him. It was great to see them.. she had another guy sitting with her coach... he seemed to be more of a friend.. not a boyfriend either. I spoke to him briefly. And then later on a teen aged boy came and sat behind the coach. He was very excited and happy. It was a nice group.

starr
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:26 PM
She does wear those too :lol:
http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/en/players/photogallery/photos/2006-03-06/f_pic-06-03-06-n08-g.jpg

Once again, It's not right to make fun of Nicole. She looked very nice on the court. She is an athletic veteran not a pin up girl. She looked fit and athletic in the outfit, and not ridiculous or freakish. She looked neat and put together.

SloKid
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Once again, It's not right to make fun of Nicole. She looked very nice on the court. She is an athletic veteran not a pin up girl. She looked fit and athletic in the outfit, and not ridiculous or freakish. She looked neat and put together.
I didn't make fun of her, I just answered a question. :)

starr
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:45 PM
oh yeah.

It's all about deniablity, baby. :lol:

SloKid
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
oh yeah.

It's all about deniablity, baby. :lol:
Well show me where I made fun of her then :angel: :p

Ellery
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Nicole :bigcry:

Harju.
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Bethanie :banana: :bowdown:. Great fight :bounce:.

Mark Spruce
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
WOW thanks so much for the report. I hope that she will be ok for her next match.

Mark