PDA

View Full Version : How would you qualify Martina's come back until now??

lolo21
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:56 PM
it's been 3 months now. :)
i would say "very good" personnally. :)

Justineladivine
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM
As I put it in another thread she's outstripped my wildest expectations.

felipe2004
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Yeah, very good would be apropriate. A bit better than I expected :), but I hope she can go further :wavey:

TeaMMashA
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Pretty good better then i expected i must say

Carmen Mairena
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Successful ;)

LeRoy.
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:00 PM
great but not super (not "Monica-esque" considering she has yet to win a title) :yeah:. I don't see her making the finals of GS let alone winning one this year but she could prove me wrong by winning RG :eek: :bounce:

loppy
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Wonderful! Way beyond my expectations!:bounce:

ezekiel
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
decent, just as I expected and predicted but if you look at the hype from her own words and media and even this board, she has let herself down slightly and surely now knows it's not going to be easy . One thing to note is that she is physically all right and has no residues of foot injury which probably means she will play much longer this time.

supreme*
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Very Good ! better than I expected...

miffedmax
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:52 PM
The best thing that's happend to Dementieva;)

No, seriously, she's has done much better than I dreamed possible. My last meal consisted of my hat, followed by a helping of humble pie.

I am not a Martina fan by a long shot, but she has proved herself to be much better than I thought. I still don't see her winning any majors, but she will probably pick up a title or two in 2006.

Okay, now I'm gonna go back to hatin' on her.

Martian Jeza
Mar 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM
She excedeed my expectations but she has still to work on a better physical shape and also a better serve...

selyoink
Mar 9th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I'd go with wonderful. I thought she would compete but wasn't sure if she could compete at the highest level. Definitely did not expect her to compete at such a high level so quick since she did at the AO.

go hingis
Mar 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Wonderful!!! And it's only the beginning.

swissmisshingis
Mar 9th, 2006, 11:21 PM
she did better than i expected.

Martian Stacey
Mar 9th, 2006, 11:50 PM
i voted very good :) definately better than i expected, but she can still improve.

i'll upgrade it to wonderful when she has some more big wins :D

TonyP
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:10 AM
The fact that she started at 349th in the world and is already down to 32 in the world says quite a bit in my view. I don't think many players over the years have gained that many places in less than three months on the tour. And remember, Monica came back with a protected ranking. Martina started from the bottom, so she has encountered some tough draws. No singles titles, but she already has a slam mixed doubles title. And she is ranked number five in the race to the championships.

There have been disappointments, including the loss to Dementieva, who played maybe the best tennis of her life, and to Amelie --not that it was a loss, but a bad loss --but I think some bumps in the road were to be expected.

Marshmallow
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Very good. She has played amazing tennis, and has been an absolute pleasure to watch. It's real shame she hasn't won a title and i hope soon she can.

I'm really loving her, and i hope she can perform really well in IW and Miami.

Is she playing many clay tournaments or skipping a few due to the demands on the body? I think her title drought would be over if she played a few clay tournaments. She should be extremely hard to beat on it.

:)

Morrissey
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I actually think Martina is much fitter now than she has never been. Its clear to me Martina carefully planned this come back from last year. She played team tennis and Martina is correct she realized not much has changed from the top 10 since 2002..the same women that were dominating then are the same women dominating now..So Martina was honest with herself and felt like "yeah I can beat most of the women..I'm still young and talented." And I admit I wasn't sure how things would go..because you are never sure.when someone has been gone for over three long years..but Martina came back strong. I was surprised at her lost to Penetta...I do think she could of won Gold Coast. And at the Sydney event..I think Martina got a reality check in her brutal loss to Justine..I actually felt kind of bad for her there..I thought damn...but at the Australian Open she soared through her draw and I think she should of beaten Clijsters if she had a better serve.Martina's game is excellent and since she has the complete package..she will beat most of the women..However, yes Martina needs to go more on her first serve..She can serve harder..and I think she needs to gamble a bit more...
I was shocked that she almost beat Clijsters..and in Tokyo beating Sharapova incredible...but she has already beaten some top 20 players..Myskina, Kuznetsova,
Schiavone, I am impressed by these wins...I think Hingis will continue to soar up the rankings..and here is the thing..Martina is an excellent clay court player...To see Martina jump from 349 in the world all the way to no.32 in incredible. Martina took a risk..some people thought she would fall flat on her face...but she has showed just how incrediblly talented she really she. She volleys so well, excellent anticipation, and Hingis in my opinion is actually quite quick she has superb movement...She has the complete package..but Martina needs a more powerful serve..she needs to continue her hard fitness routine...I think she can really do some damage this year..the top women had better watch out...

Derek.
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I rate it as very good. :)

Solitaire
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Very good! Esp for being out soooooo long. When ur gifted ur gifted.

switz
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:27 AM
i stated on numerous occasions before she even stated she was returning that she was capable of this sort of comeback because she is class above most players and the tour simply has not moved on as some people like to state.

At the same time i questioned whether she could compete with the very best again - i'm going to give her until the US Summer to prove whether she can or not - obviously she beat Sharapova and pushed Clijsters but she's been soundly beaten by Henin, Mauresmo, Dementieva and Sharapova as well.

I think it's been pretty much what i expected - an amazingly good return in terms of getting back to the upper levels of the game but now the real questions will be asked.

any event it's great to have her back :bounce:

Mightymirza
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Well I voted for the last Option :D just for the heck of it.I mean obviously everyone knows how great her comeback is...Such an obvious poll...

Miranda
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:45 AM
very good, i didn't expect her to reach 32 rankings so soon, coz she was beaten in first round of the tourney in Indonesia :wavey: , but i do think she needs to win a title, even a small one in this year, to prove that her come back is really successful :wavey:

clark.kent
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Its been a brilliant comeback, getting better every week. Her best chance at winning titles will be at the grand slams. A day break between each match will make it a lot easier for her. :sport:

hablo
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I'd say wonderful :D

bigshow21
Mar 10th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Awesome! She has definately proven herself. I didn't think she would do so well so soon. But kudos to her. Keep it up! ;) :yeah:

louisa2k2
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Well I voted for the last Option :D just for the heck of it.I mean obviously everyone knows how great her comeback is...Such an obvious poll...

lol i thought it was migi :p

I voted wonderful cos its so early on and shes only lost befire the QFs once which is amazing. And QFs at the Aus opena nd pushing kim to 3 sets dfinately encouraged me her come back. just wait til shes been playin for a yr who knows what will happen :D

Prizeidiot
Mar 10th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I'd say Incredible. I thought it would take her at least 6 months to even look like getting to the top 30, let alone actually being there in half that time.

Barlos
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Martina has performed brilliantly so far! It is a little upsetting that she's not won a title yet considering the great chances she had to do so at Gold Coast and Tokyo but still, Martina's comback has only just began. Soon the performances she gave in her crushing wins over Zvonareva (6-2 6-1), Sharapova (6-3 6-1) and Schiavone (6-2 6-1) will become more routine. Martina has yet to gain the consistancy she once had, it seems one great performance takes a lot out of her, but soon everything will fall into place :)

Kunal
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:27 AM
i voted very good but im thinking it should have been wonderful.....because she has brought back much more to the wta

Kunal
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:32 AM
i hope she can step it up a notch...i guess shes gonna have to muscle up a lil bit more.....more heavy shots i guess

Almalyk
Mar 10th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Very good Marti xx!

Kimiko Latte
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Very good: she performed incredibly well even though she still hasn t won a title

It's been great to have her back. The tour really needs big stories right now to keep even the average fan interested and Hingis is that kind of draw. :)

hwanmig
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I'd rate it as very good though I do not understand how she can trashed Francesca, Maria and others and then lose so soundly in the next round.