PDA

View Full Version : Serena May Be First For Instant Replay

Denise4925
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Posted on Thu, Mar. 09, 2006
SPOTLIGHT | ON TENNIS

Serena might be one of earliest to experience instant-replay system

BY MICHAEL KAUFMANmkaufman@MiamiHerald.com

As it turns out, Serena Williams might be among the first players to test the new instant replay system at the NASDAQ-100 Open.
Top players typically get the first day of tournaments off, but Williams has slipped to No. 58 and could very well be on center court in Key Biscayne on March 22 for instant replay's official debut.
It was a controversial call in Williams' 2004 U.S. Open quarterfinal loss to Jennifer Capriati that got the instant replay debate going full-steam. ''I feel cheated,'' she said after that match, in which there was one call in particular that clearly was wrong after a replay was shown on television.
Williams has not played since losing in the third round at the Australian Open. The only headlines she has made of late were in New York last week, where she joined with a cosmetic firm, Flirt!, to launch an ''Exotic Jewels'' lipstick line.
Other players who will be on the courts in the early days are No. 41 Taylor Dent, No. 45 Tim Henman, No. 53 Marat Safin and No. 82 Vince Spadea. Wild cards were granted to Mark Philippoussis, Nicolas Lapentti, Gustavo Kuerten, Donald Young, Ashley Harkleroad and Shenay Perry, fresh off a win at the $75,000 Mirage Challenger.
Mardy Fish and Alexandra Stevenson got wild cards into the qualifying draw.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14053008.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_sports

drive-volley
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:40 PM
That would be exciting! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:40 PM
NO..i doubt it. She will probobly be the NIGHT MATCH. Now amy fazier could very well be the first to use it at 10 am in the morning :lol: :lol: There is no way they would put serena on at that time :p

Wiggly
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Well, yes, she mught be first player ever to test it on night :lol:

*Joey*
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM
NO..i doubt it. She will probobly be the NIGHT MATCH. Now amy fazier could very well be the first to use it at 10 am in the morning :lol: :lol: There is no way they would put serena on at that time :p
That's true...Serena is going to play a night match! ;)