PDA

View Full Version : Canberra International to be cut from Aussie summer

ezekiel
Mar 9th, 2006, 01:33 AM
http://www.sportsaustralia.com/articles/feb06/artid5018.html

According to a recent news article published by The Canberra Times, Tennis Australia has scrapped the Canberra International from the busy schedule of Australia’s popular summer tennis season.
The national body said the event, which was first played in 2001, was too difficult to sustain among the higher-profile tournaments in the Australian tennis season leading up to the Australian Open – the opening Grand Slam of the year.

Understandably, Tennis ACT has been left disappointed by the decision and has seemingly been left out of the decision-making process.

“We certainly feel aggrieved and it almost appears the decision was predetermined and this was merely a formality to get it across the line. We had no formal notification that this was under review,” said Tennis ACT president Tony Lane.

Despite the tournament’s growth over the years, including increased crowd figures and prizemoney, Tennis Australia general manager of events Peter Johnston explained to The Canberra Times that the process of eliminating the relatively new Canberra tournament from the series of Australian Open lead-up events was already under way.

“It is part of the WTA, so our decision has to still get ratified by the WTA Tour itself, but we’re in the middle of the process,” said Johnston. “That week is pretty much the busiest week of the tennis calendar. It just got down to the difficulty for us to sustain the event.

“We’ve underwritten the event significantly since the inception and our projections - even though it has grown, the crowds have grown in each year and there was a naming rights sponsorship, Richard Luton Properties, which has since expired - it was down to an economic decision and our capacity to sustain all that tennis that week. It's a painful decision.”

Tennis ACT general manager Gerard Corradini expressed that he would be holding talks with Tennis Australia concerning the issue.

We don’t have all the information from Tennis Australia and we will be seeking that as a matter of urgency,” he said. “We’re clearly disappointed to hear that this decision has been made.”

In its short six year history, the Canberra International boasts champions including four-time Grand Slam winner and 2006 Australian Open finalist Justine Henin-Hardenne and rising 18-year-old Ana Ivanovic of Serbia and Montenegro.

Wiggly
Mar 9th, 2006, 01:35 AM
So I think Hobart will be stronger now :confused:

Solitaire
Mar 9th, 2006, 01:48 AM
No big loss

monster
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:01 AM
They could keep it and play it the week after the Oz Open

Wiggly
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:07 AM
They could keep it and play it the week after the Oz Open

Everybody is leaving Australia as soon they lost, except if they play Tokyo.

Anywya, I heard the tournament offices and the stadium were "old" :confused:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:13 AM
To bad as this was a tourney that the lower ranked players really had a chance of winning :sad:

danieln1
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:18 AM
OMG, I really liked that tourney...
Sad for women´s tennis

Meesh
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:37 AM
What a shame for lower ranked players as others have said... here is some history of the tourney:

2006 Singles Final
(1) Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) d. Yoon Jeong Cho (KOR) 64 06 64

2005 Singles Final
Ana Ivanovic (QUALIFIER) def Melinda Czink (LuckyLoser :D )

Kirt12255
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM
:confused: Anyhow...hmmm...perhaps replaced with a WTA tourney in Adeliade? ;) Fingers crossed !!

switz
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:27 AM
this tournament never really took off. Sydney is too close to Canberra for them to running events in the same weeks. It's good for Hobart.

Kirt12255
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:29 AM
:wavey: Perhaps TA can throw some more money behind the womens events in the warm-up now. Their PM is chicken-feed. IMO :wavey:

tennisjay
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM
I hope IW is next.

Pheobo
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:47 AM
That kinda sucks...the lower tier tournaments can be interesting.

Sunny_Boy
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:36 AM
There are hardly any tournaments in Australia at all and now they decide to get scrap one of them

DutchieGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Everybody is leaving Australia as soon they lost, except if they play Tokyo.

Anywya, I heard the tournament offices and the stadium were "old" :confused:

I didn't think it was that old... Hobart was probably just as "bad" .;)

waratahsrock
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:51 AM
:confused: Anyhow...hmmm...perhaps replaced with a WTA tourney in Adeliade? ;) Fingers crossed !!

i'm thinking Christchurch would be a far better option ;)

Kirt12255
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:08 AM
i'm thinking Christchurch would be a far better option ;)

:wavey: Would Christchurch have enough paying customers to make it a viable tourney? I'm soooooo hoping Dokic want's to play for NZ ;) (can smell the bad-reps rolling over the hill like...dunno...Australia's biggest Loser's in a challenge?)

I know you have a youngen called Erakovic or something...Injured at the moment :( ....We have always cross-communicated with every other sport...never tennis :scratch: Olympic cyclists get the shits and squash players get the shits and head to NZ. You have plenty of talented sportspeople there, don't get me wrong...I think they will end up with a dual mens/womens at Memorial Drive Adelaide.....I also think the Hopman Cup has run it's course....Ohhh..my I'm in trouble LOL :p

tennisbum79
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:14 AM
While they are at it, they should just scrub the Ausie as well.

It is a tournament with many problems. The least popular of the 4 slams.

The players always complain about, least favorite of fans around the world, according to recent poll.

I am beginning to believe that China has a remote chance to one day wrestle the fourth slam for Australia.

waratahsrock
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:15 AM
:wavey: Would Christchurch have enough paying customers to make it a viable tourney? I'm soooooo hoping Dokic want's to play for NZ ;) (can smell the bad-reps rolling over the hill like...dunno...Australia's biggest Loser's in a challenge?)

I know you have a youngen called Erakovic or something...Injured at the moment :( ....We have always cross-communicated with every other sport...never tennis :scratch: Olympic cyclists get the shits and squash players get the shits and head to NZ. You have plenty of talented sportspeople there, don't get me wrong...I think they will end up with a dual mens/womens at Memorial Drive Adelaide.....I also think the Hopman Cup has run it's course....Ohhh..my I'm in trouble LOL :p

:lol: some interesting points there - i know of a few people who'll disagree about the Hopman Cup!
It would be ideal for Christchurch, bang in the middle of the summer holiday (and unlike auckland, we've got consistantly good weather down here). We had a couple of thousand show up for the Navratilova v Seles exhibition last year. I'd just love to see an event here because it would suit ME well!

Kirt12255
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:33 AM

The players always complain about, least favorite of fans around the world, according to recent poll.

I am beginning to believe that China has a remote chance to one day wrestle the fourth slam for Australia.

:wavey: Will never happen!

Agree with the rebound-ace...that's the main complaint.

Least Popular? Wasn't 2 years ago :rolleyes: Was the most popular for crowds being fair to both, service etc.

Perhaps China will "wrestle" for the AO....I'm thinking on average we will win an arm wrestle ;)

Personally I think the AO should move back to grass...but that will never be supported except for lovers of the game that realise their fav's can't always play on a surface that suits them in slams. Traditional nations have fallen by the points system and the tour deciding to throw soooo many clay court tourneys. Not everyone enjoys clay-court tennis!!

I'm waiting for our "Thomas Muster" of the womens game...to get to #1 playing on clay. America, Australia and Great Britain are struggling with the bull-shit tournaments offered them IMO :wavey:

switz
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:39 AM

1) most popular slam with players

2) least popular with fans around maybe because all the others slams aren't played when they are asleep. Look at the crowd figures for the tournament and the ratio of population to attendence.

3) every tournament has many problems - the australian has been the far most accomodating and innovative slam of the 4.

4) it is a completely ridiculous assertion to make that china will just take the slam of australia. slams are inherently about history - that's not going to change.

That is not to say the future of tennis isn't in Asia though

Kirt12255
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:04 AM
What he/she said without my politics ;) :worship:

Maryamator
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:14 AM
no:( i liked this tournament it also helped the lower ranked players improve there rankings here

DutchieGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Erakovic was recently playing some challengers in Aus...and God... send Dokic to NZ - let em have her! ;)

DutchieGirl
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:15 AM

you need a reality check, mate! :D

Carmen Mairena
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:09 AM
:smash: :retard:

Vut
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:28 AM
:sad:

Prizeidiot
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:41 AM
1) most popular slam with players

2) least popular with fans around maybe because all the others slams aren't played when they are asleep. Look at the crowd figures for the tournament and the ratio of population to attendence.

3) every tournament has many problems - the australian has been the far most accomodating and innovative slam of the 4.

4) it is a completely ridiculous assertion to make that china will just take the slam of australia. slams are inherently about history - that's not going to change.

That is not to say the future of tennis isn't in Asia though
Thank you. Couldn't have put it in better words myself. I think the Aussie Open is the best slam, and has produced the best matches in the past few years.