PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova delays debut for Russia

itzhak
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:33 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4788132.stm

Maria Sharapova will not make her Fed Cup debut for Russia when they launch the defence of their title against Belgium in April.
The Florida-based 19-year-old has repeatedly denied she does not want to represent her native country.

"It's quite untrue that I don't want to play for Russia," she said. "I have a Russian heart."

Sharapova does not want to follow hard-court events in Indian Wells and Miami with clay in Belgium.

"My body is just not ready after two tough tournaments to go and play Fed Cup," said Sharapova.

"It's my own personal decision, and I'm not going to be influenced by what anyone else does.

"I won't be forced into it. My body just isn't ready to go from hard courts to clay courts that quickly."

Anastasia Myskina has also pulled out of the tie.

"It's too much for me," she said. "This year I want to play for myself. I've played every time they asked me to play again, but it's been too much now."

Belco
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
give natsya a break!

morningglory
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Anya too? I know Maria wouldn't be good on clay anyway, but who's replacing Anya?...
Elena D and Svetlana/Nadia for the doubles will have to do the job...

Wiggly
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Now Belgians has an edge...

LilMashaFan
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:39 PM
kirilenko will be the replacement

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Wow...they really need her as both Kim and Justine will be playing :eek: I hope Nadia and Elena are both bealthy :D

PLP
Well Kirilenko was the alternate so I am assuming her. Great chance for her! :) I really like watching her play and she seems very sweet! I also don't know if it gives Belgium an edge...it should be a great tie though...P

DragonFlame
we all knew this. sharapova playing in belgium on clay to make herself tired and lose anyways?:o

myskina already said last year she wont play fedcup this year.
no new information.

all will depend on if both justine and kim play the first fedcup round, if 1 of them doesn't play russia still has a good chance to win.

PLP
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Also I think Maria K. is playing far better tennis at the moment then Myskina so I really don't consider this a loss at all, P

PLP
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:44 PM
we all knew this. sharapova playing in belgium on clay to make herself tired and lose anyways?:o

myskina already said last year she wont play fedcup this year.
no new information.

all will depend on if both justine and kim play the first fedcup round, if 1 of them doesn't play russia still has a good chance to win.

They have both confirmed that they WILL play...however would it shock me if they both pulled out at the last minute...hell no! Especially Justine...P

DragonFlame
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:47 PM
They have both confirmed that they WILL play...however would it shock me if they both pulled out at the last minute...hell no! Especially Justine...P

that's exectly what i meant. i wouldn't be suprised if 1 or both of them decides not to play because of injury etc. this will be the important factor for this tie. if both play, they will win it. if 1 withdrawls.... i give the edge to russia

itzhak
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Elena Dementieva said that she and Nadia petrova will play...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-feddc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

No Name Face
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:22 PM
though i'd prefer Elena and Sveta, Elena and Nadia will have to do :rocker2:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:27 PM
well at least she's being honest. she'll play in the future, not a big deal.

TeaMMashA
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:35 PM
im so glad she wants to play in the future!!

itzhak
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:45 PM
im so glad she wants to play in the future!!

wait with this- The SF is in the week after Wimbeldon... and the final is inthe week folowing US open....so, it is not less difficult there...
beside this- the Fed cup starting more than 2 weeks after Miami so she could have some time for rest if she wanted to play against Belgium...she can decide what she want but her explanations are somehow weird...

clonesheep
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:46 PM
But Sharapova's head-to-head against Kim+Justine is 1-8 (one win, eight losses), so even if she had joined the team it would not help anyway.

go hingis
Mar 9th, 2006, 12:39 AM
It's an individual sport, so they've got to make the right choices for themselves.

Solitaire
Mar 9th, 2006, 01:46 AM
I guarantee she'll make room for FC during an Olympic year.

Dan23
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:09 AM
http://www.wtnphotos.com/showphoto.php/photo/29704/cat/500/ppuser/40080

:angel:
:shrug:

Wiggly
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM
If Dementieva plays like last September Final, I would not like to be Belgian :lol:

If not, I would love ot be a Belgian :)

Brett.
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Is Makiri any good on clay?

Meesh
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:32 AM
It's an individual sport, so they've got to make the right choices for themselves.

True but I wish she would just play for Russia and get it over with!

tennisjay
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Anya too? I know Maria wouldn't be good on clay anyway, but who's replacing Anya?...
Elena D and Svetlana/Nadia for the doubles will have to do the job...

You got that right, she would have a better chance beating Justine or Kim on quicksand. :lol:

TennizFan
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:49 AM
ehh, allright, whatever... but why are you posting with huge fonts. Do you have farsigtedness or something ?! :tape:

xin_hui
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:00 AM

would it have made a difference even if sharapova had played?

8-1;)

Dan23
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM
would it have made a difference even if sharapova had played?

8-1;)
who knows ;)

xin_hui
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:02 AM
who knows ;)

on clay, in belgium? sorry;)

maybe when it's on grass;)

DomenicDemaria
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:08 AM
wait with this- The SF is in the week after Wimbeldon... and the final is inthe week folowing US open....so, it is not less difficult there...
beside this- the Fed cup starting more than 2 weeks after Miami so she could have some time for rest if she wanted to play against Belgium...she can decide what she want but her explanations are somehow weird...

I actually agree with you. It will be harder for her to play after Wimbledon and Us Open than after Miami. She has two week break and her next tournaments will be on clay anyway. I guess she realises that playing Kim and Justine on clay would take alot out of her.

Prizeidiot
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:50 AM
She wouldn't have been of use playing singles on clay, or doubles regardless of surface. The big loss is Myskina. As cheesy as it sounds, she's an inspiratiponal Fed Cup player. Not just because she rises to the occasion herself, but she brings others with her (ie 2004 doubles Final with Vera Zvonareva)

Nadia is a very good player, but can she really beat the Belgians on clay, if she has the chance? I've seen her struggle in big grand slam matches she's had the upper hand in. But then again, she beat Mauresmo last week, so who knows?

Maryamator
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Is Makiri any good on clay?
hmm the only thing i know Belgium will win:(

leeber
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:51 AM
A russian heart? haah ;)

Carmen Mairena
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:07 AM
:tape: Who said that Russia needs her to win anyway? :tape:

vutt
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:38 AM
A russian heart? haah ;)

me to had to read it twice before... :devil:

leeber
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM
me to had to read it twice before... :devil:
yeap.. quite the skeptic aren't we? :hehehe:

Hots4Safin
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM
someone is afraid of the big bad belgians.

goldenlox
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:24 PM
She was never going to play this tie.

leeber
Mar 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
someone is afraid of the big bad belgians.
KC and JH, big? :hehehe: