PDA

View Full Version : 2002 vs 2006 IW: Will there be another breakout champion like Hantuchova?

spiceboy
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:35 PM
If Henin-Hardenne and Dementieva fall in the top half of the draw, it will open up an opportunity for one of the young up-and-coming stars to try her luck in the final. That's what happened in 2002 when Daniela Hantuchova took the title :hearts:

Among the players to watch in the top half of the draw will be No. 8 Ana Ivanovic, No. 11 Maria Kirilenko, No. 12 Tatiana Golovin and No. 28 Sania Mirza.

SilK
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
the draw wasn't 'opened' for Daniela, she beat the number 3 and number 2 seed back then! :shrug:

Darop.
What was Dani's rank when she won IW?

Ryan
I doubt it. The top 2 (Justine / Lindsay) shouldn't fall to ANY of the other players in the draw not in the top 5 seeds. Except for Hingis. Lindsay can lose to her if she wants. :p

Dexter
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM
What was Dani's rank when she won IW?All I know is that she was seeded #18
So probably between 20-30 I guess :shrug:

spiceboy
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
What was Dani's rank when she won IW?

Dani was ranked #26 WTA

selyoink
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I don't see it happening. One of the top players will win the title.

spiceboy
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM
the draw wasn't 'opened' for Daniela, she beat the number 3 and number 2 seed back then! :shrug:

Nobody is saying so. Any of the players who want to be in the final will have to play either Justine or Elena (if not both)

spiceboy
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I don't see it happening. One of the top players will win the title.

Probably yes. But I'm awaiting the tournament when Ana will explode. That moment doesn't look too far IMO and she's got a nice seeding here too.

ezekiel
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Hantuchova didn't really breakout since she couldn't follow it up . More like one tourney wonder

ezekiel
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Probably yes. But I'm awaiting the tournament when Ana will explode. That moment doesn't look too far IMO and she's got a nice seeding here too.

Yeah, I am waiting since RG for her to break out and her recent slump is discouraging to say the least but she says she is working on her game and this year will either make her or break her . Indian Wells and Miami will be telling.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
hantuchova WON indian wells? wow, didn't know that.

ys
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:03 PM
No, no flukes this time..

Helen Lawson
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Little Masha will take the title!!!! But unlike Daniela, Little Masha will go on to win at least one Major this year. At least I hope so! :hearts: I swear, if it wasn't for Little Masha, I might not even watch tennis anymore and I don't think I'd care about any of life's pleasures.

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Tati was on fire in the last 2 tournaments she played... can't wait to see what happens in this tournament :D

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:53 PM
hopefully it will crown a new champion, miss maria sharapova:)
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.56981152rb013_pacific_life_.jpg

her practicing in indian wells!!!

Helen Lawson
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:54 PM
hopefully it will crown a new champion, miss maria sharapova:)
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.56981152rb013_pacific_life_.jpg

her practicing in indian wells!!!

Why would she wear "13" on her shirt? :eek: I broke a mirror in my house a few days before the '55 Oscars, and I think we all know the consequences of that. :sad:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Why would she wear "13" on her shirt? :eek: I broke a mirror in my house a few days before the '55 Oscars, and I think we all know the consequences of that. :sad:

hahaha. i doubt she's too worried about it;)