N Vaidisova 26.00

S Kuznetsova 34.00

M Pierce 34.00

N Petrova 41.00

A Ivanovic 51.00

E Dementieva 67.00

A Myskina 67.00

Vaidisova over Kuznetsova, Pierce, Petrova,and Dementieva?? :rolleyes: :o

Sharapova favourite?Who are the people who make the odds??

Simplicity
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Maira fans, to answer your question.. Petrova :o :help: Petrova or a WS will in ;)

bellascarlett
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Maria is the fave so far with good reason. It's not that much of a mystery. :rolleyes: She's one of the top players on grass. And I wouldn't care if she isn't the utmost fave but anyone here who denies she is among the favorites is well.....in denial lol. I'd say Maria is more dangerous this year than last and I'd put Lindsay and Amelie higher than the Belgians at this point.

TeaMMashA
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
i think the odds seem about right maybe momo a little higher!

xin_hui
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
i'd place maria 3rd. you simply do not, do not, overlook the williamses at wimby

TeaMMashA
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
i'd place maria 3rd. you simply do not, do not, overlook the williamses at wimby

very true, but the bookies have no choice at the moment their not competing on the tour these odds will change as the days go by but they are there because they are not competing at the moment. if they were to get some good playing up they will surely rise in those odds

Elldee
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I'd bet on Lindsay with those odds.

Pureracket
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Umm. .. I wish that Venus' odds weren't so high. That way, I could almost be assured of a victory from her.

bellascarlett
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM
very true, but the bookies have no choice at the moment their not competing on the tour these odds will change as the days go by but they are there because they are not competing at the moment. if they were to get some good playing up they will surely rise in those odds

yup...of course, the williams will always be great threats at wimbledon but I understand why they aren't so high in that list at the moment. As you say, Aaron, the odds will change for sure depending on what happens between now and when the championships begin.

skindeep
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:22 PM
lol @ all the jealously of maria :D

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM
yup...of course, the williams will always be great threats at wimbledon but I understand why they aren't so high in that list at the moment. As you say, Aaron, the odds will change for sure depending on what happens between now and when the championships begin.

odds change all the time, all it needs is someone to put down a wad of cash on someone and they'll be fav until some other loser puts some on another person.

Carmen Mairena
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I think it should be Amélie > Kim > Lindsay > Justine > Maria...

bellascarlett
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM
odds change all the time, all it needs is someone to put down a wad of cash on someone and they'll be fav until some other loser puts some on another person.

or that...:lol:

Jenny.C.Fan
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I would put my house on amelie winning wimbledon, cannot believe how high the odds are on sveta and mary

rikvanlooy
Mar 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM
http://www.willhill.com/iibs/en/buildcoupon.asp?couponChoice=TE1074599

M Sharapova 5.00

K Clijsters 5.50

J Henin - Hardenne 6.00

Venus Williams 9.00

Serena Williams 9.00

A Mauresmo 10.00

M Hingis 13.00

L Davenport 13.00

N Vaidisova 26.00

S Kuznetsova 34.00

M Pierce 34.00

N Petrova 41.00

A Ivanovic 51.00

E Dementieva 67.00

A Myskina 67.00

We will see what the form is of the two Belgians.

The way they gave the AUS Open to Mauresmo still baffles me.

Kim hasn't done a lot of practising since her slam win and thus she ran a lot of risk injuring herself (what happened). - look at the final at Antwerp, Mauresmo plainly outrun her.

And then Justine, everytime she doesn't feel 100 % healthy, well ...

I still believe Mauresmo isn't as good as Justine or Kim, but ... (just as I believe Venus and Serena are the best players, but ...).

tennisjay
Mar 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Maria is the fave so far with good reason. It's not that much of a mystery. :rolleyes: She's one of the top players on grass. And I wouldn't care if she isn't the utmost fave but anyone here who denies she is among the favorites is well.....in denial lol. I'd say Maria is more dangerous this year than last and I'd put Lindsay and Amelie higher than the Belgians at this point.

I thought Maria was the favorite at last years Wimbledon, and this years AO, in fact isn’t she the favorite every time a Grandslam rolls around it never fails, the hype machine continues too roll, but to bad it will be Maria who as to put up with all the criticism of why she can’t live up to the hype.

!<blocparty>!
Mar 8th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Ivanovic would be a good bet.

jenny161185
Mar 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM
think ill put a bet on lindsay!

TeaMMashA
Mar 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Id say the best bet there is Lena D or Hingis not much point on betting on the fav altho i hope their right and i believe shell win!! :)

mauresmofan
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I'd take those odds on Momo in a heart beat - she's great on grass. 3sfs in her last 3 appearances!

Varvagina
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:25 PM
What a stupid odds :haha:

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I thought Maria was the favorite at last years Wimbledon, and this years AO, in fact isn’t she the favorite every time a Grandslam rolls around it never fails, the hype machine continues too roll, but to bad it will be Maria who as to put up with all the criticism of why she can’t live up to the hype.

Maria Sharapova Maria Sharapova Maria Sharapova Maria Sharapova

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:49 PM

i agree, especially since one of them WILL win it this year:hearts:

bellascarlett
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM

You're wrong...it should be:

:haha: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner:

lindsayno1
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:22 PM
those odds are stupid. the WS's have done naff all in ages, Lindsay that low on grass is rediculous and i cant believe sharapovas fave!

selyoink
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Vaidisova's odds are way too good. Davenport should be higher.

lindsayno1
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
ha we should go bet on someone like davenport with those odds...! i think shes in with a shot this year!

:inlove:
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Vaidisova over Pierce, etc.? wot a joke... :rolleyes:

I'd say something like Mauresmo < Sharapova < The Williamses < Davenport < Clijsters and so forth...

tennisjay
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM
those odds are stupid. the WS's have done naff all in ages, Lindsay that low on grass is rediculous and i cant believe sharapovas fave!

Yes I can't believe with Lindsay’s game they would place her that low, and what gets me is that the draw is not even out and they have predicted a winner already.

Steve-o
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM
The WS ahead of Momo... oh please :rolleyes:

ezekiel
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Vaidisova sure is overrated :eek:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM
The WS ahead of Momo... oh please :rolleyes:

has mauresmo ever beaten them on grass? no:rolleyes:

it should be something like

davenport
sharapova
venus
serena
clijsters
pierce
henin-hardenne

hablo
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM
has mauresmo ever beaten them on grass? no:rolleyes:

it should be something like

davenport
sharapova
venus
serena
clijsters
pierce
henin-hardenne
So in response, let's just skip Momo altogether, why don't we ? :lol:
:spit: Momo overlooked, loves it!!! (the bookies should just forget about her too :lol: ) :devil:

hablo
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM
M Sharapova 5.00

K Clijsters 5.50

J Henin - Hardenne 6.00

Venus Williams 9.00

Serena Williams 9.00

A Mauresmo 10.00

M Hingis 13.00

L Davenport 13.00
N Vaidisova 26.00

S Kuznetsova 34.00

M Pierce 34.00

N Petrova 41.00

A Ivanovic 51.00

E Dementieva 67.00

A Myskina 67.00

Momo ahead of Davenport ? :spit:

Hots4Safin
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I think it should be Amélie > Kim > Lindsay > Justine > Maria...

right b/c between the above ladies they have 2 wimbledon's total. Compared to Venus and Serena's 5. You and the bookmakers are absolutely right in your thinking... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TomTennis
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:36 PM
everyone in the uk loves Maria, and no matter what her seeding, ranking or previous grass form or wins have been, she will always be given the best odds at Wimbledon. That is a fact.

Its stupid i think. Venus should be ahead of Justine, and not level with Serena.

Davenport should be higher than Justine too.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
everyone in the uk loves Maria, and no matter what her seeding, ranking or previous grass form or wins have been, she will always be given the best odds at Wimbledon. That is a fact.

Its stupid i think. Venus should be ahead of Justine, and not level with Serena.

Davenport should be higher than Justine too.

agree. doesn't really matter though, i can't believe they're doing odds already. who knows what can happen in 3 months.

saint
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
i think they've got that wrong. momo at 10/1 is striking odds considering her consistent semi appearances and form of late. I'd better have a bet.

PLP
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I don't think either one of the WS will win this year, though I would put them 3rd and 4th as favs...I would bet on Davenport (if her serve % is high) then Hingis...I don't think Martina will win RG this year and if she serves well she could be tough because of her anticipation and fantastic net play :worship: ...of course the draw will be a good determing factor and both Serena and Venus could come through at any point, maybe Amelie as a darkhorse? P

Stamp Paid
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:09 PM
lmao...Im still betting on the greatest grass court player this century on any grass court surface against any player.

Tennace
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:11 PM

Now think, who is better on grass, Vaidisova or Dementieva :tape:

Simplicity
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
lmao...Im still betting on the greatest grass court player this century on any grass court surface against any player.
That's right yall! He is talking about my home girl Venus! :devil: :worship:

Invisible Fan
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Maria won two years ago and then made the semis and last years champion has played one match this year. It's not that surprising she's the favourite now - but I agree Davenport's odds are a bit high.
You should be happy if your favourite is down the list - it gives you a chance to make some money :D

I'm not surprised odds are available already. The odds on who will win the world cup have probably been out for years!

morningglory
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM
http://www.willhill.com/iibs/en/buildcoupon.asp?couponChoice=TE1074599

M Sharapova 5.00

K Clijsters 5.50

J Henin - Hardenne 6.00

Venus Williams 9.00

Serena Williams 9.00

A Mauresmo 10.00

M Hingis 13.00

L Davenport 13.00

N Vaidisova 26.00

S Kuznetsova 34.00

M Pierce 34.00

N Petrova 41.00

A Ivanovic 51.00

E Dementieva 67.00

A Myskina 67.00

smart people who know statistics for their business...
see a lot of people will put their money on Maria, since she's popular, and Maria has a shot of winning it. If they give her like 10/1 they might be bankrupt... :lol:

lindsayno1
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
davenport
sharapova
venus
serena
clijsters
pierce
henin-hardenne

agreed. u have to have momo in there somewhere. but i dont see her winning wimbledon

Wsisters45
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Kim and Justine before Venus,Serena,and Lindsay? :lol: Venus obviously is the favorite. There's no way I'd bet against her on the grass.

Rachel_
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I have no idea why Maria is the fave. Henin and Amelie are surely more likely to win it then her i'd have her 3rd or 4th favorite.

Elena such an outsider..i know shes not had too much success on grass but her game can be deadly on any surface im sure!

Invisible Fan
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I meant Lindsay's odds should be closer to Maria's - like about 5.50. Just getting the terminology mixed up since I don't gamble!

Leo_DFP
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:17 PM
L Davenport 13.00 :eek: Ummm, kay.

RJWCapriati
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Davenport will win :yeah:

Leo_DFP
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Now think, who is a better player with GS credentials, Vaidisova or Dementieva? :tape:

AKJH
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM
These odds are a little bogus...the odds are sort of biased with Maria, because they WANT her to win, since she won in 2004, she's been the overwhelming favorite, which shouldnt be the case.

To Me the odds are more like this:

1. Venus Williams-Defending champ, on grass-cannot be counted out...aka last year.

2. Amelie Mauresmo- She's finally learned to win big matches, her game is perfect for the grass especially when she comes to net.

3. Justine Henin-Hardenne- Would be at the top if she wasnt such an overwhelming French Open favorite, which means she could be tired by Wimbledon.

4. Sharapova- Of course she's a favorite, her game is deadly on grass, but hasnt won a BIG match in quite a long time.

5. Davenport-Always a favorite

Kirt12255
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:12 AM
:lol: I don't think I can even reply to this....Myskina at "anything" on grass? She's a darl...just can't play on grass ;)

Dave B
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:48 AM
First, these are oddsmakers, so they are making odds to simulate how they think the british will bet, not really on who they think will win.

But more importantly, I am suruprised the big take away from this is that Maria has the best odds. 5.00 are not really great odds at all, and still indicate that it is fairly likely she will not win. What is surprising is that there is no front runner. I would bet 5.00 on Maria now...great return for a good grass courter. I would just think venus would have like 3.00 or something lol.

Barlos
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:55 AM
I see 3 good bets!

Very strange odds on both Davenport (12/1) and Dementieva (66/1). These are well worth a flutter :)

I already have a bet on Martina which I made early in January at 50/1. Since then Martina has moved in gradually to her current odds (12/1). I guess they'll move in even further as she's likely to improve more between now and Wimbledon.

Prizeidiot
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Betting odds like that shouldn't be taken seriously. Consider that odds shift in accordance with money put on players. It's understandable that Maria would have a lot of backers. People outside of tennis probably don't know anyone else. The way she is promoted, they probably think she is by far and away the best tennis player in the world.

Prizeidiot
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'd say Dementieva actually. She made fourth round last year, and should have gone further. Nikki on the other hand, despises grass. She has the serve for grass, but the rest of her game suits a consistent bounce more.