PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Players at Commentary

alwayshingis
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Let's talk about the best players (current and former) at in the booth commentary during matches. So we can dispense with the Tim Ryan bashing right now. I started thinking about this when I heard Nicole Pratt doing commentary on the Tennis Channel at the Las Vegas 75K. I thought she sounded comfortable and knowledgable in the booth. That would be a good career for her after she finishes playing. I also have to say I am an MJ Fernandez fan, but anyway have at it. What do you all think?

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Best is Helene Pelletier :worship:

Solitaire
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:55 AM
I really like MJ, Pammy, and Virgina Wade. The worst has to be Martina N., she's sooooo boring. Tracey Austin is ok tho she can get annoying at times.

CJ07
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:58 AM
i think the most objective one is MJ Fernandez. She tries hard to not be biased

hablo
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Best is Helene Pelletier :worship:
oh no...she really irritates me :lol:

Martian Stacey
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:02 AM
I really liked Billy Jean King's commentary when she did the AO here a few years ago :) I also enjoyed Martina Hingis' commentary, but i am biased of course :p I also thought Martina Navratilova was good.

We used to have Pam Shriver and Liz Smylie do the AO commentary a few years ago, and i never really liked them back then, though compared to some of the people i've heard since, they're actually alright :lol:

I'm not sure who i would pick as the worst though, as the majority of commentators that i don't like didn't actually play tennis ;)

pp2006
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Hmmm , I will say this Jim Courier is interesting......

and annoying

Marcus1979
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I like Virginia Ruzicci

ctan88
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Jim Courier is pretty good, as is Annabel Croft ...

Hingis was okay when she did commentary ... she did repeat herself alot though ...

"What a great shot right there .... Beautiful shot ... Beautiful volley ... Beautiful serve ..."

ctan88
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I like Virginia Ruzicci

Yeah, this chick is pretty good also ... I know alot of people dislike him, but i like John Barret as well .... (please dont kill me) hahahaha

louisa2k2
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Lol yep definately love martina on comentary and she can repeat herself as much as she wants :), I also like Annabel Croft.

Sue Barker can be the most annoying because she can just get rediculously negative but then so can most british comentators so they usually end up on mute.

but when they cant even get simple things rite like a certain eurosport commentator that has called Martina- seles and schiavonie ?????? :(

Alicia Rocks
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Alicia Molik was great :D So down to Earth while commentating :kiss:

Geoffry
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Sabine Appelmans can be nice to listen to, especially when she starts gossiping about a player she knew from her heydays :p

-Em-
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:35 AM
i really like babsi schett :)

mandy7
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
worst:
haha, in holland, jacco elthing, he hates women's tennis
and we have to put up with him, bashing high ranked girls,
while all he was good at was playing doubles
total idiot, can't stand him
thinks women make to much money and that they only care about how they look :rolleys:

best?
everybody else, lol

crazillo
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I loved Jana Novotna for BBC.

Martian Stacey
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah, this chick is pretty good also ... I know alot of people dislike him, but i like John Barret as well .... (please dont kill me) hahahaha
i like John Barrett as well :o though when it comes to mens commentators, i pretty much prefer anyone over Fred Stolle and John Alexander :lol:

Prizeidiot
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:02 AM
i like John Barrett as well :o though when it comes to mens commentators, i pretty much prefer anyone over Fred Stolle and John Alexander :lol:
I like Fred, but John Alexander seriously wants to get into Lleyton Hewitt's pants. :tape:

I'm a big fan of McEnroe as a commentator. People tend to underestimate how knowledgeable he is, and how much he genuinely cares about the game. And he also has the ability to make things seem more exciting than they really are. He's my favourite.

I also like Courier, who is similar to McEnroe in that he has interesting comments, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. Of the Aussies, John Fitzgerald is good, because he's measured in his comments. He's an Aussie, but he tends not be biased, and provides intelligent discussion.

In regards to female commentators, there are none that I am a huge fan of. I kind of like Tracy Austin, despite the bad things other people say about her. It's just her voice irritates me a little tiny bit. Hingis had lots of good insights as a commentator too, but she spoke slowly, and her comments dragged on during points.

Invisible Fan
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I like Courier too, it's just a pity they had to have that idiot JA with him most of the time.
Martina Navratilova is good also, although she can be a bit negative at times.

clark.kent
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Hingis had a great voice for commentary, soft and slow, easy to listen to :drool:

PamShriverRockz
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Pam wins (for once) easily! ;) I am also fond of Virginia Wade though. She's like a grandmother figure to us all ;)

FaceyFacem
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:12 PM
mary joe and hingis are really great, the one time i heard jana she was really nice to listen to...i've always been dying to hear arantxa's commentating! maybe some day

Allez-H
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Tracy Austin is annoyyyyyyyying :p She blabla's too much; Chris Evert commentated on the BBC for a while and I quite liked it, unfortunatly she doesn't commentate anymore :sad:

Jmac can be annoying too sometimes, it as if he thinks he's on the court and he says too much "you can't be serious"
It's getting old :unsure:

lolas
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:19 PM
hm, I never liked Babsi Rittner - her voice sounds strange somehow.

I loved it when Martina Hingis and Michael Stich were commentating on Capriati against Serena (RG 04)

Reuchlin
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Jim Courier is pretty good, as is Annabel Croft ...

Hingis was okay when she did commentary ... she did repeat herself alot though ...

"What a great shot right there .... Beautiful shot ... Beautiful volley ... Beautiful serve ..."

She commentated on some of her own matches? :angel:

Greenout
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Interesting question.

Good former players don't always make great commentators, and average tour players don't always make for entertaining commentary either. :lol:

I find some former player commentators annoying, yet others are good. Jo Durie is great, and Annabelle Croft are pretty good. Virginia Wade is good sometimes, but only when she's paired up with David Mercer. Ok- anybody paired up with David Mercer is good, he steers the commentary into an interesting direction.

Leif Shiras is ok, and Tracy Austin too- but again. It depends on who their paired up with.

Since I moved abroad, and heard commentators from out of the USA, I do find American commentary too chatty. Boris Becker is pretty good, but Martina Nav is way too critical. I think Mary Jo, and Pam are overly biased in favour of their personal friends.

John Alexander is ok, when he's paired up with someone more neutral like Karin Pratt.

Virginia Wade, and John Barrett together equals way too much bitching, and school teacher type scoldings.

LH2HBH
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Thumbs way up to Mary-Jo Fernandez, John McEnroe, Cliff Drysdale, Pam Shriver

Thumbs down to Tracey Austin, Tim Ryan, Anna Kournikova, Mary Carillo

RJWCapriati
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I prefer MJ and Pam

alwayshingis
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I think Mary Jo, and Pam are overly biased in favour of their personal friends.

That's true, but I never seem to mind. I love how biased Mary Jo is toward Lindsay.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:53 AM
pam shriver rocks my world....she's so damn funny. martina nav is amazing, too.

meyerpl
Mar 8th, 2006, 03:57 AM
I like Cliff Drysdale, but the man swears on-air like a drunken sailor.
M J Fernandez is great.
I can't help it, I like John McEnroe. On-court, he was insufferable. On-air he's entertaining as hell.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Alicia Molik was great :D So down to Earth while commentating :kiss:
I thought Alicia was so funny when she was commentating she was saying heaps of quirky things at just the right time.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Thumbs way up to Mary-Jo Fernandez, John McEnroe, Cliff Drysdale, Pam Shriver

Thumbs down to Tracey Austin, Tim Ryan, Anna Kournikova, Mary Carillo
I actually thought Tracey did quite good at Aus Open this year

Havok
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Mary Carillo, Pam Shriver, Virginia Ruzicci, Martina Hingis, Billie Jean King. Tracy Austin, Chris Evert and Martina Nav are decent also. Virginia Wade is also really good.

Corina Morariu SUCKS so bad, she commentaded the Myskina/Zvonareva San Diego 04 match that I have on DVD and I want to shoot her everytime she speaks.

Brooklyn90
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I love Mary Joe Mernandez

Morrissey
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:09 AM
I definitely think Mary Joe Fernandez and Cliff Drysdale are very good unbiased commentators..I think Jim Courier is good..and actually McEnroe can be good sometimes..but I find the other American women commentators very biased and their comments are often offensive and disgusting. I do not like Carillo, Shriver, or Austin..

gsm
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:15 AM
all my favs;

john mcenroe, john newcombe, fred stolle, john fitzgerald, john alexander, jim courier, keryn pratt :worship:

my hate list;

john barret. IMO his voice is sooo annoying!!! :fiery:

Brooklyn90
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I definitely think Mary Joe Fernandez and Cliff Drysdale are very good unbiased commentators..I think Jim Courier is good..and actually McEnroe can be good sometimes..but I find the other American women commentators very biased and their comments are often offensive and disgusting. I do not like Carillo, Shriver, or Austin..
I agree with you on all the American Women Comintators, it gets me so mad when they say rude coments all the time on serena :mad:

meyerpl
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:21 AM
When Carillo starts talking, my gag reflex spontaniously kicks in.

Brad Gilbert can't spell cat. Calling him stupid is an insult to stupid people.

I wish I had heard Molik. I suspect I would have enjoyed her.

Shriver usually doesn't bother me.

I really like Drysdale. Especially since the time he slapped Carillo around on the air. (It was Miami, '04. He thought it was a commercial break.)

Vacant
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I like Pam. Wade is good too, she cracks me up. I love Sue Barker, but she isnt really a commentator, more of a presenter.

Sam Smith and Tracy Austin are good also.

darrinbaker00
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:38 AM
That's true, but I never seem to mind. I love how biased Mary Jo is toward Lindsay.
The fact that they won six doubles titles together is purely coincidental, of course... ;)

Marcus1979
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:13 AM
what do the aussies here think of Wally Massur

he really pisses me off at times

Prizeidiot
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Oh, I said I didn't really like any of the female commentators, but that's not true. Pam Shriver is fantastic. I only just remembered her thanks to some other posts.

Wally Masur? Haven't heard much of him.

gsm
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:45 AM

dont think i have ever heard him commentate.

i thought he would have had a great insight into the game, is he that bad :confused:

Martian Stacey
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I haven't heard him commentate since he became Davis Cup coach. But i do remember hearing him calling at the Hopman Cup the year Martina won, and i thought he was alright :)

Chrissie-fan
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:45 AM
John McEnroe and Pam Shriver. Jimmy Connors was great at last year's Wimbledon too.

Marcus1979
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I haven't heard him commentate since he became Davis Cup coach. But i do remember hearing him calling at the Hopman Cup the year Martina won, and i thought he was alright :)

he does it on Foxtel a lot

Alicia Rocks
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I thought Alicia was so funny when she was commentating she was saying heaps of quirky things at just the right time.

:lol: One of the reasons I :hearts: Alicia, her personality :worship:

Martian Stacey
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:00 AM
he does it on Foxtel a lot
yeah i know, but i don't have Foxtel :(

LefandePatty
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Eurosport France : Sarah Pitkowski :D :drool:

hingis-seles
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM
John Barrett is my hands-down, all-time favourite. Brilliant. :worship:

I love Virginia Wade, Ann Jones, Pam Shriver, Mary Joe Fernandez and Tracy Austin as well. :)

alfajeffster
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Let's talk about the best players (current and former) at in the booth commentary during matches. So we can dispense with the Tim Ryan bashing right now. I started thinking about this when I heard Nicole Pratt doing commentary on the Tennis Channel at the Las Vegas 75K. I thought she sounded comfortable and knowledgable in the booth. That would be a good career for her after she finishes playing. I also have to say I am an MJ Fernandez fan, but anyway have at it. What do you all think?

I think the two best (far and away) are Billie Jean King and John McEnroe, and the two worst are Jim Lampley (not even sure if he still covers tennis) and Tracy Austin. Let me qualify by saying I like Tracy as a person quite a bit. I just don't think she has (1) the voice for commentary- the squeaky cheerleader takes all of 5 seconds to get annoying; and (2) she's gotten better, but needs a great deal of improvement with her knowledge of tennis history, and the players who came before her.

Jakeev
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I miss Martina N and BJK doing commentary at Wimbledon. By far, they were the two of the best commentators of that event.

I am also beginning to grow on Katrina Adams on the Tennis channel. She seems rather objective about all the players she comments on.

esdee
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Jimmy Connors was great at last year's Wimbledon too.

I thought Jimmy was superb last Wimbledon, very interesting and easy to listen to. I liked Mac a player but as a commentator I find a little of him goes a long way!

Piotr'ek
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Worst - Katarzyna Straczy :tape:

Martina2
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Sam Smith is definately one of the best, but as legends of the game go i really liked Chris Evert when she did it a few years back.....does she still commentate in the US at all?

ToeTag
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Can't stand Courier, the McEnroes, Ted Robison, Shriver, MJF, and that little weasel at the US Open{the guy who does the on court "interviews"}, and Enberg

I love/hate, and love Carillo. The few times I've heard MN I liked her commentary. Tracy Austin would be better working with another woman. She is always on the defence with Robinson and McEnroe.

thinks women make to much money and that they only care about how they lookWell, unfortunately, many of the players come off that way. :o

Kunal
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM
courier....mcneroe

David Barker
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM
McEnroe with Wade are very good. :) :)

Loath Chris Bradnam - that laugh..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chrissie-fan
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I think the two best (far and away) are Billie Jean King and John McEnroe, and the two worst are Jim Lampley (not even sure if he still covers tennis) and Tracy Austin.

Jim Lampley??? Besides tennis I'm also a boxing fan and have lots of fights on dvd.....Is he the same guy that does the commentary on HBO boxing with Larry Merchant?

jj74
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Arantxa Sanchez is trully awfull, the most egocentric comentator in the worl (even i was a fan of her as a player) her brother Emilio sucks too. But Alex Correjta and Pato Clavet are really nice to hear

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Tracy Austin is the best. She can get a little over analytical at times, but at least she flexing her neuro synapsis.

Pam Shriver is the worst, for her far-reaching ability to read others minds and subjective reporting. Did she ever get that elusive GED? I will never forget her diatribe about Justine post AO final on ESPN's website. Just as she purposefully didn't give Justine the benefit of the doubt, nor will I her.

Jimmy Connors is a really great men's commentator. Wish he would do that more often.

Martina2
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Oooo for British Eurosport viewers....what du think of Lucie Ahl? she only does occasional commentary and when she first started she was so bad i thought, but I heard her at the Paris indoors and she has got so much better and is far more natural, so I take back my original thoughts of her.....plus her brother worked at the sameplace where i play tennis! lol

SelesFan70
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:28 PM

I couldn't believe that was Nicole Pratt! She sounded so comfortable! I thought it was Louise Pleming at first. :D

Gerri
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Pam's the Queen of commentary, I find her hilarious :worship: I love John Barrett, he's so formal but can come out with ridiculous phrases. Also Virginia Wade, I love the way she always sounds cheery but slightly detached from what's going on. Bill Threlfall can be funny too.

I can't stand Jo Durie, she seems entirely humourless and Chris Bailey's just a complete arse.

Martina2
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Elise Bergin (i think thats how you spell her name!).....she does the US open for sky sports and used to do some europsort back in 2000....shes really funny and good!

Filippo-Nastya
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Last January at the AO, one of the commentators of Italian Eurosport was Silvia Farina Elia. She was simply great, she said a lot of interesting things about the game, about herself and her (former) opponents. Then, I love her because she described Nastya as a "friendly and sunny girl".
Silvia :yeah:
Nastya :hearts:

alfajeffster
Mar 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Jim Lampley??? Besides tennis I'm also a boxing fan and have lots of fights on dvd.....Is he the same guy that does the commentary on HBO boxing with Larry Merchant?

Yes, and he's okay with boxing, but was awful with HBO's tennis commentary. His botched pronunciations of names was almost as irritating as his arrogant display of apathy for tennis and the players- "Gerin" for Goran, and "Stish" for Stich, and just like Tracy Austin, very little came out of his mouth that wasn't obviously a parrot repeating the feed. I remember a scene from the recent version of the film 'The Manchurian Candidate' where the political control gurus were flexing their power by making a TV news anchor repeat (during live telecast) a few random word fed into his ear. Right then and there I wanted that job in a tennis context.