PDA

View Full Version : Will Dubai become Tier I???

felipe2004
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Dubai tournament has recently said that they'll increase the prize money to $1.5 milion. That's more than eight of the Tier I tournaments, whose prize money are $1.34 milion. Is it fair that Dubai is still a Tier II even if the prize money is bigger? :confused: Will something be made to prevent this from happening? :wavey:

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:31 AM
:shrug: Who knows... It's possible it'll become a Tier 1.

Geisha
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM
It should be.

Henin-Hardenne, Hingis, Mauresmo, Davenport, and Sharapova all played this year - very deserving.

PLP
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I give it 2-3 more seasons...

RJWCapriati
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:49 AM
I think it should

Wiggly
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Dubai can buy WTA Tour if they want :rolleyes:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM
i hope so

Almalyk
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:01 AM
The field this year was looking far more like a Tier 1 than Tokyo was. I certainly say make it Tier 1.

Junex
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:40 AM
It deservely so...it should make WTA more global with a tier 1 event in Mid-east - Africa region....

But then again, tier 1 or not duabi already enjoys so much which other tier 1's could only envy...

does it really matter....?

TeaMMashA
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:41 AM
It deserves to be, great tournament and hefty prize money also!!

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Indian Wells should probably be a Teir II on the womens side.
It has really played like Teir II on the womens side for the last couple years compared to some other big tournis.
Dubai this year had a better field than Indian Wells this year. The same can be argued for last year.
Indian Wells can still have a big field like it does but it would be an opportunity for the lesser ranked girls to play some WTA matches and give California tennis a chance to see some up-and-comers.
Dubai would take its place as a Teir I.

cartmancop
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Yes for sure. With the great players who came this year, plus the Williams sisters who only missed due to injury/fitness, Dubai will continue to grow into one of the best stops on the WTA tour. Players seem to LOVE it, so it will only grow in popularity with them also. I agree that IW seems to be on the way down...maybe they'll trade their Tier I & II status :)

pp2006
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Sure ! I would love it to be , and it will make the WTA more global.

saphir1
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I don't think it should be Tier I for several reasons.

1. Doesn't fit in the schedule with Tier Is coming up after Dubai (Indian Wells/ Miami)
2. What is the special thing of "Tier I" - it just means you have to pay more prize money and WTA is required to bring 7(?) out of top 10 players, but they are coming anyway, since Dubai is even paying more than the usual Tier Is, so no need to upgrade it
3. It already has a special status with Dubai Duty Free being one of the main sponsors of the WTA Tour.
4. Do they actually meet the requirements of Tier I (e.g. number of seats)

Alicia Rocks
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:25 AM
I think so!

1star
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Should be tier1 in view of so good prize money and so many top players:D

The seats, however, need to be increased! It's half empty most of the time! Even top football games could not attracte full audiance there!
Hope the middle east people care more for sports ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM
4. Do they actually meet the requirements of Tier I (e.g. number of seats)

they got more seats than Tokyo or Zurich :o

in another 2-3 yrs
Dubai prize money will be higher than Miami

Sam L
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Dubai can buy WTA Tour if they want :rolleyes:
Not if the world switches to alternative energy resources soon enough.

hingis-seles
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Dubai had just one big court. Court One and Court Three were not proper stadium courts.

Dubai needs to increase their seating capacity. The bid to increase prize money is a clear sign that they want to become a Tier 1. And I think it's going to happen soon.

LadyLil
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Have to say I was surprised this wasn't a Tier 1 based on who came to play. I'm sure it will be soon for all the reasons stated above.