PDA

View Full Version : WTA's major fumble...

Andrew..
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
While something needed to be done to get more of the top players to play Miami, the way the WTA has done it, IW has been screwed over. By making Miami mandatory, players have chosen to skip IW and rest for Miami. This has left IW with it's weakest field ever - weaker than alot of tier II's. I understand that Miami puts up a ton of money to be a huge tier I, but IW is also a massive tier I, and it is unfair to the tournament that the WTA has really just ignored them in favor of Miami.

Alot of unhappy fans for the next two weeks...

-VSR-
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I'm over it. :lol:

RJWCapriati
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM
definitely agreed, it shouldn't be mandatory.

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Well top players do have to rest and prevent injury ;)

So in that respect, I'm glad Momo and kimmie are taking it easy :shrug:

Same with Patty and Nadia (people always complaining that they play too much)...

Sorry, I can't think of who else is missing besides the Williams sisters :o

Andrew..
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Well top players do have to rest and prevent injury ;)

So in that respect, I'm glad Momo and kimmie are taking it easy :shrug:

Same with Patty and Nadia (people always complaining that they play too much)...

Sorry, I can't think of who else is missing besides the Williams sisters :o
If the men can do it, the women should also be able to.

Four of the top 10 in the draw of the sixth largest event of the year. I'm not sure why you think that's so good.

lindsayno1
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM
yes and ppl like anna lena groenfeld have BYES...whats that all about!

jonny84
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:19 PM
But it is great to see lower-ranked players play in the second week, and is a great chance for lower-ranked faves to do well at a major tournament!

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:20 PM

Four of the top 10 in the draw of the sixth largest event of the year. I'm not sure why you think that's so good.

Exactly..i mean this tour is missing much more then just "2 players". Players should be able to play these tourneys back to back as they have 1st rd Byes and most will not even get to play untill Thursday or Friday! :lol:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:20 PM
with my 2 faves (sveta and serena) skipping this indian wells it is less interesting to me-hopefully there will be good tennis to make up for the poor entry list

i'm hoping Pennetta or Groenefeld win the title :worship: :rolleyes:

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM

I think I was pretty clear in my last post :shrug:

To prevent injuries and some players play too much already :p

mens' tour was decimated with injuries too last year, no ? :help:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM

hey! no dissing ALG...especially when jill craybas and amy frazier got byes :eek:

PLP
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I don't think Miami should have become mandatory when IW isn't because I have always enjoyed IW more. However, I don't feel that the draw is that weak. I think it is a very interesting draw and just becausze a lot of the 'top' players aren't playing doesn't mean it won't turn out to be an extremely competitive and fun tourni to follow, P

itzhak
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
The first 32 have bye....including Jill Craybas...

Andrew..
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I think I was pretty clear in my last post :shrug:

To prevent injuries and some players play too much already :p

mens' tour was decimated with injuries too last year, no ? :help:
It's not a tier II. It's the sixth biggest event on tour. Players should suck it up. They play too much already? Yes, that's true. Maybe, instead of playing Dubai and Doha, they should play the BIG events.

The men still manage to play both IW and Miami back to back. The field for both IW and Miami on the men's side this year is amazing. The WTA needs a Masters Series system, or something with at least a little more substance...

Brooks.
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM
The event has pretty much sucked ever since the Williams decided to stop playing :p

lol j/k :angel:

well mostly ;)

-VSR-
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM
The event has pretty much sucked ever since the Williams decided to stop playing :p

lol j/k :angel:

well mostly ;)

Actually it has in more ways than one.

A big way I think is because once they said decided they would never go there again, more players thought you know if they can skip it so can they.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:40 PM
hey! no dissing ALG...especially when jill craybas and amy frazier got byes :eek:

:rolleyes: Amy Frazier almost always gets a bye in this tourney as she has been ranked in the top 50 forever..WAKE UP :lol:

Andrew..
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Actually it has in more ways than one.

A big way I think is because once they said decided they would never go there again, more players thought you know if they can skip it so can they.
They skip alot of things. Not every player follows.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:43 PM

Well the two players i was talking about were were #1 and #2 in the world MOMO and KIM. Having the top 2 players ( and defending champion) in the not world here is a huge hit :sad:
Oh well...some lower ranked players are bound to have a great tourney :D :bounce:

ys
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I am OK.. There are so many exciting players around.. At least the TV translations will likelier to have players that I like to watch. There will be more of Sharapova, Hingis, Dementieva and Myskina on ESPN. Who can possibly be unhappy about it? I _am_ happy about it.. Give it to me any day, any tournament..

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I am OK.. There are so many exciting players around.. At least the TV translations will likelier to have players that I like to watch. There will be more of Sharapova, Hingis, Dementieva and Myskina on ESPN. Who can possibly be unhappy about it? I _am_ happy about it.. Give it to me any day, any tournament..
do you know if there are any online live feeds ? :p:help:
Canadian coverage of tennis :rolleyes:

Andrew..
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Well the two players i was talking about were were #1 and #2 in the world MOMO and KIM. Having the top 2 players ( and defending champion) in the not world here is a huge hit :sad:
Oh well...some lower ranked players are bound to have a great tourney :D :bounce:
I understand that... The poster was saying that the other players were skipping the tournament because Venus and Serena were. I'm saying that they skip alot of things, and players don't follow them. For example, Dubai.

Players are skipping this as a direct result of the WTA making Miami a mandatory event.

ys
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:47 PM
do you know if there are any online live feeds ? :p:help:
Canadian coverage of tennis :rolleyes:

Not to my best knowledge..

-VSR-
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:48 PM

It is getting there.

Also, why are you acting like such an asshole all the time. Lighten up.

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Not to my best knowledge..
ok. thanks.

Andrew..
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
It is getting there.

Also, why are you acting like such an asshole all the time. Lighten up.
I'm sure it's because they're following in Vee and Ree's footsteps!!!!111

:retard:

tennisjay
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I say move it and you will have more of the top and better players playing the tournment.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I understand that... The poster was saying that the other players were skipping the tournament because Venus and Serena were. I'm saying that they skip alot of things, and players don't follow them. For example, Dubai.

Players are skipping this as a direct result of the WTA making Miami a mandatory event.

Oh ok...well the big hits to the draw were when the top 2 players in the world did not enter. People want to see the top 2 best players in the world...especialy when they are playing like it. Thats what sells the most tickets . Thats what i was saying... :D

:wavey:

tennisIlove09
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:01 PM
DutchieGirl
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Mandatory tourneys SUCK whatever tourney it is! ;)

Rtael
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:29 PM
While something needed to be done to get more of the top players to play Miami, the way the WTA has done it, IW has been screwed over. By making Miami mandatory, players have chosen to skip IW and rest for Miami. This has left IW with it's weakest field ever - weaker than alot of tier II's. I understand that Miami puts up a ton of money to be a huge tier I, but IW is also a massive tier I, and it is unfair to the tournament that the WTA has really just ignored them in favor of Miami.

Alot of unhappy fans for the next two weeks...

Not to mention that this event is already in debt up to its eyebrows!

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Miami last year had
Clijsters
Sharapova
Serena
Venus
Dementieva
Mauresmo
Henin
all really big names how did they need to make it mandatory to get people to go there.

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Miami last year had
Clijsters
Sharapova
Serena
Venus
Dementieva
Mauresmo
Henin
all really big names how did they need to make it mandatory to get people to go there.

Coz Larry Scott's running it, and so they have to follow what the ATP do! ;) No bonus points, now mandatory tourneys... ;)

Havok
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I'm sure it's because they're following in Vee and Ree's footsteps!!!!111

:retard:

:haha:

Cmon! :retard:

VS Fan
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I am SURE V & S would play both tourneys if were not for the UGLY incident in 2001 when Serena played and WON the final. ESPN is partly responsible for this by hyping the so called RW conspiracy. ("Serena's turn to win")

Up until then they had played BOTH IW and Miami when they were healthy.

IW COULD apologize for the incident. They might come back.
As it stands now, IW said it doesn't need them, and WS says they certianly can skip this place with no regrets.

ys
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:32 AM
IW COULD apologize for the incident. They might come back.
As it stands now, IW said it doesn't need them, and WS says they certianly can skip this place with no regrets.

As it stands now, players ranked #10 and #40 missing in the draw is not really an issue for an elite level Tier I tournament.

Clijsters injury, that I agree.. But, comparing to last year we have Hingis, we have JHH.. It's better field than last year, I think.