PDA

View Full Version : Have you met players coaches/relatives etc at tournaments? Experiences?

Martina2
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Hi was just wondering what your experiences were if you have met any players' relatives or coaches etc?

I was at Wimbledon last year and ended up sitting right next to the Davenport camp while she was playing doubles on an outside court in the first week. I had my photo taken with Ann Davenport and Adam Peterson....they were really nice and friendly and quite surprised that someone recognised them! :)

The previous match I was also sitting near to Mary Pierce's camp but I didnt dare talk to them as Mary wasnt playing so good (she won 9-7 in the third eventually tho!), and they were looking concerned.

AjdeNate!
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I sat next to Hana Mandlikova (at the time, Novotna's coach) in Chicago in the early 90s... 91? I said 'hi' and she smiled. That was that.

Paris 2002, I talked to Mike Sell (at the time, Seles' coach) for like 1 second. I gave him a bear to give to Monica for Valentine's Day.

go hingis
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:26 PM
My sister and I were on the same hotel floor as Tatiana at the Gold Coast Tournament, we bumbed into her and her mother afew times. Also shared a lift with Meghann Shaugnessy and Lucie Safaravo asked us if we where going up, but we where going down. Bumped into afew players around the hotel especially on the lifts.

DutchieGirl
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I've met Amanda Coetzer (and kinda met Gavin Hoppen and Nigel Sears :tape:), Patty Schnyder (and her husband :tape: ), Misa Krajicek (and her Dad, and Hans Felius - who was semi-coaching her during the Aussie circuit this year) - talked to all 3 of those players, plus some Dutch juniors too (Renee Reinhard, Marrit Boonstra, Bibi Schoofs)...

saint
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:45 PM
i,ve met Navratilova, Martinez and gigi fernandez in a hotel in eastbourbe. They were all friendly and smiled a lot.

selesfan1
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hmmm, well I guess I'll focus on some of the more odd/different experiences I've had with players and coaches.

I once met Samantha Hammond at the airport( who the heck is samantha hamond you say?) she is was a player from Australia who seemed to have a decent future coming up. She got ranked but I haven't heard a single thing from her since 2003.

So I was at the airport picking up my dad's friends and see a girl with a tennis bag and just walked up to her and introduced myself and asked if she was playing in the satellite event that week. Her father didn't seem to thrilled at the moment I was talking to his daughter but he seemed really nice when I saw him at the tournamente site.

I once sat in front of who I believe is Richard Williams in Oklahoma City. He seemed pretty ok except he kept talking about Alexandra Stevenson's legs.

At the same tournament I sat next to benny Simms coach of chanda Rubin and he seemed very quiet.

I also once sat next to Alexandra's Stevenson's mother who would not get off her cell phone even during Alexandra's match

At the same tournament the year before I held some things for Ms. Stevenson( I was a ballkid) while she gave Alexandra her jacket. She said here Alex we'll hold your stuff so you can sign autographs for the kids.

Melissa Torres was speaking to me and her sister came to fetch her. Melissa said there is my sister and her sister just kind of turned away. ( shy I hope/think). Her coach seemed really cocky. He was a Spaniard and his name is Juan and had a tatoo of a black panther on his leg.

I stood next to Maria fernanda Alves' sister Claudia. She was really nice and we talked about the world cup. That was back in 2002 and Brasil had made the finals.

I sat next to Salome Devidze's mom, coach, and little sister. Apparently her little sister also plays tennis because she was talking about how her leg still felt week after having broken it and she couldn't play because it still felt weak. Her mom seemed quiet and her coach seemed critical but not supportice during the match when salome would look up.

Mark Spruce
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I met Steffi Graf's coach at Wimbledon 1999 he seemed really nice.

Mark

tenn_ace
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I talked to Nastya's coach who was super nice... (and he's so cute too :devil: )

talked to a drunken Joe after Lena Bovina dropped him.. he was ok. he sounded a little like a kid who didn't get a favourite toy :p

tenn_ace
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I talked to Richard (in Miami, right after an incident at IW). He was very nice. :angel:

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Well I've met the entire extended family of Steph, they were all incredibly nice, especially her dad and her boyfriend!

Funny thing with Nigel Sears: After Daniela retired in her match against Jidkova, I told Nigel: Take good care of our girl. And he looked at me and rolled his eyes ;)