PDA

View Full Version : Hingis Says Quest for French Open Fuels Her Comeback

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM
PARIS (March 6) - Martina Hingis says she came out of retirement for the French Open, the only Grand Slam title she is yet to win.

The former No. 1, who has won three Australian Opens, one Wimbledon and one U.S. Open, returned to tennis in January after foot, heel and ankle injuries forced her to retire three years ago.

"I truly hope that I will be in Paris to win," the Swiss star said in Monday's edition of French sports newspaper L'Equipe. "Returning to Roland Garros to try to win the only Grand Slam title that I am missing was one of the principal motivations for my comeback."

The 25-year-old Hingis said she will finalize her preparations for the May 28-June 11 French Open after she has competed at Indian Wells and Miami.

Hingis, who spent 209 weeks at No. 1 in five stints, reached the quarterfinals at this year's Australian Open and won the mixed doubles with Mahesh Bhupathi.

In 1997, Hingis won three of the four majors but lost the French Open final to Iva Majoli 6-4, 6-2.

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
good luck to Martinka! :bounce:

I hope French crowd is not tough on her though.

Meesh
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Great to hear! I think she is older and wiser and will be able to handle the FO crowd now. :worship:

hingis-seles
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Good to hear. Complete the collection, Marti!

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Great to hear! I think she is older and wiser and will be able to handle the FO crowd now. :worship:

true, although when you egt booed by 15,000 people, you do really need a very superthick skin.

Wojtek
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Myskina won, Dementieva with her shit serve was in the final, Petrova and Likhotseva in the 1/2...... Martina can do better

Chrissie-fan
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM
true, although when you egt booed by 15,000 people, you do really need a very superthick skin.
Maybe she should ask McEnroe or Connors for advise. Those guys played great in a hostile atmosphere.

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Maybe she should ask McEnroe or Connors for advise. Those guys played great in a hostile atmosphere.

You can only learn so much - the rest comes from inside. That's why there people who are called hot heads and there others. I hope it works out for Martina, but if she doesn't win, I hope it's Sveta who wins FO.

Martian Mel
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
It would be a dream come true! Go Marti!:angel:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
i think she'll definitely go deep in this tournament, but winning it? no way.

1star
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
What will happen if she plays Amelie or Mary there?

The linemen will change, the crowds wont be the same, and the same attitude!
It will be tough to play local players there! But wont be like that in 1999 for sure. :cool:

Best of luck to Matina!! :bounce:
Bonne chance!! :bounce:

ezekiel
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
she will needs lots more motivation

Alecia Moore
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM
What will happen if she plays Amelie or Mary there?

She'll beat them. :p :angel: ;)

jonny84
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Who knows?

Let's see what she is like playing clay first and then we will have a better picture.

Sagittarius
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
That was wonderful to read. I love to see her so motivated.

Pureracket
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
true, although when you egt booed by 15,000 people, you do really need a very superthick skin.Well, it happened to Serena, and Serena actually won the whole tournament.

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM
It's good that Martina has set goals for herself and is motivated. :clap2:

however, allez Momo :devil:

Martian Jeza
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM
It's good that Martina has set goals for herself and is motivated. :clap2:

however, allez Momo :devil:

Hors de question ;)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I think it would be great if she could win the French Open.

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Well, it happened to Serena, and Serena actually won the whole tournament.

I think when she won it, she still had a honey moon relationship with the French crowd. If I'm wrong good on her - it made it even more valuable.

RAA
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Myskina won, Dementieva with her shit serve was in the final, Petrova and Likhotseva in the 1/2...... Martina can do better

:lol: :lol:

ok. I totally agree.

TeamUSA#1
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
If there is any cosmic justice in the world of tennis, Martina will win the FO and Jenny C will come back this summer and win the USO!

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
If there is any cosmic justice in the world of tennis, Martina will win the FO and Jenny C will come back this summer and win the USO!

I'm afraid there is not one - otherwise I would have won that jack pot ($360m) :cool:

blumaroo
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM
SHe can definitely do it with a good draw.
I mean, someone like Sveta can take out Justine and play inconsistent the next round. A little bit of luck is needed. But if Likhoveseva (sp) can make the semis, then Hingis can too.

thrust
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM
If Justine can^t win the FO, I would like to see Martina win it. I was rooting for Martina against Graf, but after throwing her temper tantrum, I turned against her as did the FO crowd. If she plays against Amelie or Mary, naturally, they will root for them but will be fair. I am sure she will be greeted with respect and affection at the FO and everywhere else.

lolo21
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM
i read the whole interview in the L Equipe: great stuff. :)

so winning RG was one of the main reasons she came back.....very interesting....and not that surprising at all. :)

frankly if Amelie doesn t win it,i would love her to win it.

come on Martina! :)

Helen Lawson
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I've won it all in my career, so I have no regrets.

lolo21
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM
If Justine can^t win the FO, I would like to see Martina win it. I was rooting for Martina against Graf, but after throwing her temper tantrum, I turned against her as did the FO crowd. If she plays against Amelie or Mary, naturally, they will root for them but will be fair. I am sure she will be greeted with respect and affection at the FO and everywhere else.

i think the same :)
as i said before,Martina seems to have matured a lot.....and the french crowd will note that.

another interesting thing i learnt in that interview is that Patty was one of her best friends.......i thought that they didn t really like each other...... but guess i was wrong

-sugi-
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM
a very nice read :)

I hope Marti can win it, I am not a fan but I hope she does, I would be happy for her.

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Hors de question ;)
tjrs pas remis de sa récente defaite ? :devil:

AKJH
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I think she'll be one of the favorites, just because she is sooooo consistent and nowadays none of the top players are consistent enough.

BUT, I dont think she'll do it unless Justine, Mauresmo, Clijsters and Pierce are on the opposite side of the draw, and that is virtually impossible. I do expect her to go to the second week though, but that's only if she is not in a any of these four ''favorites" brackets.

She needs to draw Sharapova, or one of the inconsistent russians i.e.: Dementieva, Petrova, Myskina, Kuznetsova.

-my 2 cents

marion
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I hope that she will not win roland 2006 because i prefer mahree but im certain that one day she will win roland why? because graf said it in 99 and its the principal motivation for martina
i m french and i love martina but i hope for her that she will not play mary or amé in paris

Almalyk
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Good luck Martina - I hope her goal is not solely to do this in 2006 - I hope she is around to give it a crack for a few more years.

Chrissie-fan
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:10 PM
If Justine can^t win the FO, I would like to see Martina win it. I was rooting for Martina against Graf, but after throwing her temper tantrum, I turned against her as did the FO crowd.

I hope she can do it. I wouldn't mind if she lost her cool again either. Marti and Jen can do no wrong for me. They can argue each and ever line-call, raise their middle finger to the crowd, put a hand granate in the pants of the umpire...whatever. Come on Marti, kick some ass! Play some rock'n'roll tennis! :music: :rocker2: :rocker:

Sam L
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Mary is majorly slumping and won't be out by French. Choko will be at it again under home pressure.

French hopes will be gone by the quarter finals and Martina will become the sentimental favourite.

She'll win it this year, I know it.

Barlos
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Winning the French would be the best thing imaginable for Martina, even better than winning Wimbledon or getting her no. 1 spot back. I think she can do it, there won't be anyone in Paris more determined this year.

ivan88
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Martina will do it

LoveFifteen
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Allez, Martina!

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM

True..but Hingis has been cheered many times more then booed...i am sure she has a special place in her mind reserved for the cheers aswell... ;)

AjdeNate!
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Allez.

tennisboi
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:32 PM
This doesn't suprise me one bit :bounce:

LoveFifteen
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:45 PM
If Hingis wins the French Open and then immediately retires again, I will be :fiery:

RJWCapriati
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I think Hingis will win the French within the next 4 years!!

Stamp Paid
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Serena/Hingis FO Final?! Allez bitch!

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I think Hingis will win the French within the next 4 years!!

I can see her winning a couple more slams by the time she is 30... :worship: :bounce:

go hingis
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Take IT Martina!

LoveFifteen
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Maybe Hingis will when the French when she's 30 years old against some talented teenager who comes undone after a bad line call ... :tape:

clark.kent
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:36 AM
"I truly hope that I will be in Paris to win"

as do i :smooch:

clark.kent
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM
"Returning to Roland Garros to try to win the only Grand Slam title that I am missing was one of the principal motivations for my comeback."

i know you will win it :smooch:

LTT
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Martina :inlove:

PLP
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:54 AM
If Hingis wins the French Open and then immediately retires again, I will be :fiery:

She wouldn't...If she does win it it will give her more confidence and she won't want to quit again...I seriously think she will be around for 4-5 more years...she has already called this her second career, Plus as much as I love her I really don't think this will be her year at RG...but I would love for her to prove me wrong, P

shap_half
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:24 AM
There are only two women I want winning RG, and Martina is one of them!!!

Allez!

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Mary is majorly slumping and won't be out by French. Choko will be at it again under home pressure.

French hopes will be gone by the quarter finals and Martina will become the sentimental favourite.

She'll win it this year, I know it.

Well, I heard Steffi and Andre are playing mixed doubles this week. Oh, but how I wish Steffi would play at Roland Garros this year. You know, for old time sakes. :devil:

Martina will lucky to take a set off of Justine.

-VSR-
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Imagine Sharapova taking out Hingis at Roland Garros! :eek:

dinhd82
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Why would Sharapova even play RG? She sucks on clay!!!

Martian Stacey
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:34 AM
I would love to see Martina finally win the French :D Doesn't have to be this year, i think its a bit too soon for her to win a grand slam. She'll definately have a better chance over the next few years if she continues to stay healthy and be consistent :bounce:

Solitaire
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:37 AM
It's a possibility but I highly doubt she'll win the FO. Martina couldn't do it in her prime and with the current depth at the top of women's tennis it'll be even harder.

jojoseph
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM
PARIS (March 6) -
"I truly hope that I will be in Paris to win," the Swiss star said in Monday's edition of French sports newspaper L'Equipe. "Returning to Roland Garros to try to win the only Grand Slam title that I am missing was one of the principal motivations for my comeback."

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :bounce:

Veritas
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Too many false starts for me to jump up and say "YES! HINGIS ALL THE WAY!"

If Martina does win it, great! If not, then there's at least another 4-5 years for her to get it right. I'm not fussed at all. As a fan, I'm already happy with the impact Marti's made and the records she's broken :)

Drake1980
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Good luck Martina:banana:

clark.kent
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Martina Hingis will do better at the the French Open than she has been doing at these recent tournaments. She will get a day break between each match at the French Open. She will be a seed and avoid serious opposition in the first 3-4 rounds of the French Open. And the power hitters will be less threatening at the French Open. :ras:

swissmisshingis
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:27 AM
of course i really want her to win RG so badly, but it's not going to be that easy..i'll just wish her all the luck, and hope she wins it.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Serena/Hingis FO Final?! Allez bitch!

yesssssss:lick:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Why would Sharapova even play RG? She sucks on clay!!!

wow, i didn't know that getting to the quarterfinals last year meant you sucked?!?:rolleyes:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 8th, 2006, 02:36 AM
wow, i didn't know that getting to the quarterfinals last year meant you sucked?!?:rolleyes:

:worship: