PDA

View Full Version : Hawk-Eye during Miami : official

Wiggly
Mar 6th, 2006, 01:23 PM
http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/?contentid=298

Instant Replay Comes To Tennis

US Open and North American ATP and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Events to Utilize Line Calling Technology - With Player Challenges

Sport Takes Steps to Improve Officiating for Players, While Adding TV and Fan Enhancement

Players Receive Two Challenges Per Set Plus One Additional Challenge for Tie-Breaks

Three Governing Bodies Come Together to Ensure Consistency

The USTA, the ATP and the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour announced Monday that electronic line calling technology, along with a player challenge system, will become part of professional tennis in North America. This breakthrough for the sport has been developed to improve officiating for players, while increasing the interest and excitement for in-stadium fans and television viewers.

The 2006 US Open will be the first Grand Slam to introduce instant replay technology and player challenges. The NASDAQ-100 Open will be the first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and ATP event to utilize the technology and on-court challenges. The NASDAQ-100 Open begins on March 22.

The on-court player challenge system for review of line calls will be as follows:

* Each player will receive two challenges per set to review line calls.
* If the player is correct with a challenge, then the player retains the same number of challenges.
* If the player is incorrect with a challenge, then one of the challenges is lost.
* During a tie-break game in any set, each player will receive one additional challenge.
* Challenges may not be carried over from one set to another.

Once a player challenges, the official replay will be provided to the chair umpire. In addition, the official replay will be provided simultaneously to the television broadcast and in-stadium video boards, allowing on-site fans and television viewers the opportunity to see the live results of a player challenge.

Hawk-Eye Officiating has been approved for use in professional tennis, and will be implemented at the NASDAQ-100 Open. In addition, tennis' governing bodies are continuing to explore other line calling technologies. The specific technology to be used at the 2006 US Open and US Open Series will be announced at a later date.

"With the speed and power of today's game, the time has come for tennis to benefit from new technology - while adding to the fan experience," said Arlen Kantarian, Chief Executive, Professional Tennis, USTA. "This new breakthrough - perhaps the most significant change to the game since the tie-breaker - will improve line calls for players, while adding excitement and intrigue for fans and TV viewers. This new protocol was developed in partnership with our friends at the ATP and the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, and we look forward to a consistent system that will benefit the entire sport."

"Introducing this technology will make our sport more TV and fan friendly," said Sony Ericsson WTA Tour CEO Larry Scott. "Given the stakes in professional tennis, the ability to have more accurate line calls that can change a match is great news for players."

"The electronic line calling system and protocol will enhance the officiating for players and tournaments but more importantly offer an exciting and interactive element for the fans," said ATP Executive Chairman & President Etienne de Villiers. "The ATP Board approved the protocol with a rule that all tournaments using it must employ in-stadium video boards as a way to upgrade the entertainment experience for fans. We're very pleased to work with our friends at the USTA and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour on this initiative, the first of what we plan to be many such joint activities in the years ahead."

"Instant replay is a compelling addition to the televised coverage of tennis," said Tony Petitti, Executive Vice President and Executive Producer, CBS Sports. "Television viewers have enjoyed witnessing the decision making process surrounding rules and scoring in other major sports, including the NFL."

"This is another example of bringing 21st-century technology to a great game to serve the fans and competitors," said Len DeLuca, Senior Vice President, Programming and Acquisitions, ESPN and ABC Sports. "We look forward to settling the arguments on ESPN2."

"Electronic line calling is a revolutionary development for the game of tennis," said Butch Buchholz NASDAQ-100 Open Chairman and Co-Founder. "As good as the line judges are, having the ability to back them up with state-of-the-art technology is great for the game and for the players."

Players/Former Players on Instant Replay Technology Coming to Tennis

Andre Agassi
"In my 20 years in professional tennis, this is one of the most exciting things to happen for players, fans and television viewers. This new technology will add a whole new dimension to the game."

James Blake
"The ball's moving so fast these days that sometimes it's impossible for anyone to see, even a trained official. With instant replay we can take advantage of technology and eliminate human error. Having just a few challenges will make it both fun and dramatic for fans at the same time."

Jim Courier
"Yet another terrific step forward for tennis, something that will benefit players and spectators and bring more intrigue into the game. Based on my experience in the booth with this technology, we'll all be surprised at how good the linesmen's eyes are compared to the players."

Cliff Drysdale
"This would add another dimension for the viewer and the spectator at a tournament. Tennis is singular in the number of close calls you have in a match. Every time the ball hits the ground there is a question, with so many balls landing close to the lines."

Amelie Mauresmo
"For players out there giving it our all, it's great to know that we now have the ability to use technology that will make the game more accurate and better than ever, and more exciting for the fans."

John McEnroe
"If anyone's been listening to my commentary the past year then they know I'm in favor of using replay. I think it will make tennis more interesting."

Andy Roddick
"On top of just getting the calls right time after time, which will be nice, it'll add another aspect for TV viewers. If a player has two challenges per set, it will add drama and excitement. This will add to tennis and take out a lot of human error."

Maria Sharapova
"As a player, I want to know that line calls are as accurate as technology will allow. In that sense, today's announcement is great news for all players."

Pam Shriver
"As a player, and now as a TV commentator, I always dreamed of the day when technology would take the accuracy of line calling to the next level. That day has now arrived."

Barlos
Mar 6th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Excellent news. Can't wait :)

Meesh
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Finally... i like this!

babolat-blast
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Finally!

random fan
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM
yay!

10nisfanofruz
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Wow! That's awesome. :bounce: :yeah:
I can't wait ;) :rocker2:

ezekiel
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM
what were they waiting for ? Was it all about the costs?
Because a game like tennis where everything is about precision , video replay is just common sense

volta
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM
it's about time.

hopefully it all goes well and more and more tournaments start using it including Grand slams (i cant see Wimbledon adding it though :o )

alwayshingis
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Problem: When this is implemented everywhere, it is going to make the tournaments where we have to follow live scores online EXCRUCIATING. The scoreboard will stop and we won't know what's going on and then the score could change...ah, people will be dying.

ezekiel
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
that's the least of my worries. When I watch a match, I just want to know where the ball landed

1star
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Good news!!! :worship:

Cant find a reason against it :lol:

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Well it's about damn time :banana:
it's especially nice since the crowd also gets to see it (there will be less booing when a player challenges what is perceived as a controversial call :D)

Once a player challenges, the official replay will be provided to the chair umpire. In addition, the official replay will be provided simultaneously to the television broadcast and in-stadium video boards, allowing on-site fans and television viewers the opportunity to see the live results of a player challenge.

Mark Spruce
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Great news I hope it works

mark

K.U.C.W-R.V
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I would have been against the use of technology if players had been able to challenge every line call, but 2 or 3 challenges each per set is ideal.

Hawk-Eye with restricted challenges should add even more drama to tennis, which can only be a good thing.

morningglory
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM
no more bad calls! :)

Almalyk
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Excellent news!

martirogi
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:09 PM
but will it be on all courts or just the stadium?

alwayshingis
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM
but will it be on all courts or just the stadium?

Yeah. I would imagine that the smaller tournaments and outer courts at other tournaments won't have the same technology, and that seems unfair to those players playing on outer courts because some matches can have calls fixed while others can't.

AceTennisGrrrl
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I am so happy to see hawkeye finally being put onto the courts aswell as TV. I hope its a sucess!

bailey
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I love it because players can not go to the umpire anymore and argue around (maybe even trying to impress the linesman with this). => Just ask the hawk eye or just leave it! that's cool!

-VSR-
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I cannot wait, this is so exciting. Miami is getting everything this year! :lol:

meyerpl
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I love it because players can not go to the umpire anymore and argue around (maybe even trying to impress the linesman with this). => Just ask the hawk eye or just leave it! that's cool!
Good point. It would have taken the wind out of John McEnroe's sails. It may have altered his career and changed his image completely!

Invisible Fan
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
With the two challenges rule there will still be bad calls. In fact matches and sets will still be still be decided by mistakes. I can understand why they want a 2 challenges rule but I don't like that part of it personally.

msharafan
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM
its about time after all the bad line calls maria got against justine maybe now she can beat her!

Wintermute
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Good point. It would have taken the wind out of John McEnroe's sails. It may have altered his career and changed his image completely!

They actually used the Hawkeye system at the Masters Tennis event at London's Albert Hall last year. McEnroe called upon it to challenge a few calls during his match against Courier and I think he was found to be wrong each time.

It will add an extra element to matches; tactically when do you use your two challenges. You could get a situation where the player thinks a call is bad but they used their two challenges already. Should be interesting. We'll see how it pans out.

joaco
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:01 PM
this is so great! thanks for the article!!

RJWCapriati
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM
should be fun!!!!!

-VSR-
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:25 PM
its about time after all the bad line calls maria got against justine maybe now she can beat her!

Umm... too easy. :haha:

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Umm... too easy. :haha:

OH MY GOD NO HE DIDN'T.

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Problem: When this is implemented everywhere, it is going to make the tournaments where we have to follow live scores online EXCRUCIATING. The scoreboard will stop and we won't know what's going on and then the score could change...ah, people will be dying.

dude - seriously... the challenge usually takes like 10 seconds to come up so... it's not really a problem!

I'm glad they are implementing it, but 2 challengers per set... pfft! that's weak!

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:26 AM
With the two challenges rule there will still be bad calls. In fact matches and sets will still be still be decided by mistakes. I can understand why they want a 2 challenges rule but I don't like that part of it personally.

:yeah:

Junex
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:12 AM
dude - seriously... the challenge usually takes like 10 seconds to come up so... it's not really a problem!

I'm glad they are implementing it, but 2 challengers per set... pfft! that's weak!

Its not only limited to 2 challenges but "2 mistake challenges"

if the player challenges found to be right, like if she challenges the ball to be out and the hawkeye proves it to be out, she can still have 2 challenges thereafter till the end of the set...

so bad calls can be prevented all throughout...except that when a player have used up all her challenges due to her own mistakes which is fair IMO.

Junex
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:12 AM
The on-court player challenge system for review of line calls will be as follows:

* If the player is correct with a challenge, then the player retains the same number of challenges.
* If the player is incorrect with a challenge, then one of the challenges is lost.* During a tie-break game in any set, each player will receive one additional challenge.

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Its not only limited to 2 challenges but "2 mistake challenges"

if the player challenges found to be right, like if she challenges the ball to be out and the hawkeye proves it to be out, she can still have 2 challenges thereafter till the end of the set...

so bad calls can be prevented all throughout...except that when a player have used up all her challenges due to her own mistakes which is fair IMO.

yes - I can read, and did understand that, and I STILL think it's WEAK! :p

eg you question 2 balls that were good (making your call wrong) by like 2mm... and then later there's a really bad call, you now can't questions it... that's not fair either imho.

They should do it how the did at HC, where the umpire didn't have to accept the challenge if it was a really stupid challenge. ;)

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:18 AM

* If the player is incorrect with a challenge, then one of the challenges is lost.* During a tie-break game in any set, each player will receive one additional challenge.

yeah, and that's the bit (in bold) that I don't like! :p

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:19 AM
:yeah:

Junex
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:23 AM
yes - I can read, and did understand that, and I STILL think it's WEAK! :p

eg you question 2 balls that were good (making your call wrong) by like 2mm... and then later there's a really bad call, you now can't questions it... that's not fair either imho.

They should do it how the did at HC, where the umpire didn't have to accept the challenge if it was a really stupid challenge. ;)

that is just fair because if you dnt limit it then players may abuse in challenging calls....

which often happens even when they are sure tha call was good...

Mary Peirce for instance....

without the limit, these could be used as a delaying tactics by a player....

i think that is just the fairest compromise to come about..

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:25 AM
that is just fair because if you dnt limit it then players may abuse in challenging calls....

which often happens even when they are sure tha call was good...

Mary Peirce for instance....

I understand also that they want to cut down on abuse of challenges BUT 2 wrong challenges is STILL IMHO WEAK... not saying you have to agree, but that's how I see it. (and you ain't gonna change my mind btw). ;)

and as I said - if the umpire thinks it's a bullshit challenge, make it that they don't have to accept it - they did it at HC and it worked fine and that was unlimited challenges!

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Seriously, the players can argue any calls they want NOW with the umpire - and that can't also be used as delay tactics? ;) The challenges takes like 10 seconds to come up on the screen (I was at HC when they were testing it)... it DOES NOT take long at all! Players being able to argue calls right now for like 1 minute with the umpire takes longer than hawk eye does!

Junex
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:29 AM
I understand also that they want to cut down on abuse of challenges BUT 2 wrong challenges is STILL IMHO WEAK... not saying you have to agree, but that's how I see it. (and you ain't gonna change my mind btw). ;)

and as I said - if the umpire thinks it's a bullshit challenge, make it that they don't have to accept it - they did it at HC and it worked fine and that was unlimited challenges!

It works well in HC because its more af an exhibition event with a friendly environment...

just try to imagine imposing an unlimited challenge rule on a, lets say GS final, with Justine and Mary playing on it....or Fran...and any other"great personalities against each other.....

we might think were watching a court drama with jury and a judge....

Junex
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Seriously, the players can argue any calls they want NOW with the umpire - and that can't also be used as delay tactics? ;) The challenges takes like 10 seconds to come up on the screen (I was at HC when they were testing it)... it DOES NOT take long at all! Players being able to argue calls right now for like 1 minute with the umpire takes longer than hawk eye does!

that is why im saying "a fair and good compromise"......

giving in both not too much or too tight......

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:31 AM
It works well in HC because its more af an exhibition event with a friendly environment...

just try to imagine imposing an unlimited challenge rule on a, lets say GS final, with Justine and Mary playing on it....or Fran...and any other"great personalities against each other.....

we might think were watching a court drama with jury and a judge....

yeah and as it stands at the moment if they wanted to, they could also go question the umpire after every call if they wanted to use it as a stall tactic...so sorry, but I don't see the comparison, as I said, hawkeye is quicker. ;)

DutchieGirl
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:31 AM
that is why im saying "a fair and good compromise"......

giving in both not too much or too tight......

yeah, and I don't agree...end of, pretty much! ;)

VS Fan
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Uhhhh.... If it is only in or out by 2mm, DON'T challenge.

This is simple and a GREAT system. It eliminates the nuisance challenges and allows for correction of the more obvious errors that have been shown so clearly in many MAJOR recent tourneys.

GREAT NEWS!!

Martian Stacey
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I'm so happy to hear they will be using it at Miami! :D :bounce: Especially because Martina is playing there ;)

I also don't like the idea of only 2 challenges, though i think its good that it only counts if you get it wrong. I understand that they want to limit the number so that players don't abuse the system, but i think they should have more than 2! There can be way more than 4 close calls in a set!

Martian Stacey
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Uhhhh.... If it is only in or out by 2mm, DON'T challenge.

This is simple and a GREAT system. It eliminates the nuisance challenges and allows for correction of the more obvious errors that have been shown so clearly in many MAJOR recent tourneys.

GREAT NEWS!!
So what happens then, the player just conceeds the point because they are scared of loosing a challenge? I don't like that idea.

Prizeidiot
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:15 AM
So what happens then, the player just conceeds the point because they are scared of loosing a challenge? I don't like that idea.
Yeah, I used to be up for the 2 challenges per set, but recently, I've been thinking that that would wear on a players mind.

You want the players to just play tennis, not have to wonder "oh, should I save this challenge for a bigger point?" At the end of the day, the most important thing is good tennis.

But I can see the flip side. I could imagine someone like Nicolas Kiefer just challenging everything just to be a tool.

Others have suggested the umpire can ignore challenges if they think its a waste of time, but that would be the decision of the umpire, which isn't entirely objective, thus taking us back to where we started.

rottweily
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
A new stat for each match:
Who had the most correct calls :D

Alicia Rocks
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Yay :D
But don't like the 2 challenger per set thingy...

Martian Stacey
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I used to be up for the 2 challenges per set, but recently, I've been thinking that that would wear on a players mind.

You want the players to just play tennis, not have to wonder "oh, should I save this challenge for a bigger point?" At the end of the day, the most important thing is good tennis.

But I can see the flip side. I could imagine someone like Nicolas Kiefer just challenging everything just to be a tool.

Others have suggested the umpire can ignore challenges if they think its a waste of time, but that would be the decision of the umpire, which isn't entirely objective, thus taking us back to where we started.
Well, Kiefer played at the Hopman Cup when they had hawk eye in place, and i don't think he abused it there, but i do see the point you are making, and i agree, players shouldn't be able to abuse the system, i just think only 2 incorrect challenges per set is a bit harsh, especially when so many players hit balls so close to the lines.

vutt
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:01 AM
So we now can safely say that JenCap won't return :angel:

bailey
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Is it really official? In todays Newspaper I read, it's going to be the US Open who will have the Hawk-Eye first...?

Prizeidiot
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM
A new stat for each match:
Who had the most correct calls :D
Now won't that be fun here?

"Serena Williams has made 4 correct calls out of 7. Maria has made 3. (insert journey woman here) made 7 out of 7. The top players are bloody cheats"

Martian Stacey
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Is it really official? In todays Newspaper I read, it's going to be the US Open who will have the Hawk-Eye first...?
US Open will be the first grand slam to have it. It is official that it will be used at Miami :)