PDA

View Full Version : Report: U.S. Open to Use Instant Replay

tennisfanxx
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:26 AM
1 hour, 26 minutes ago

The U.S. Open will be the first Grand Slam event to use instant replay to review disputed calls, the New York Times reported Monday.

The United States Tennis Association was expected to make a formal announcement Monday, the newspaper said.

"We wanted to identify accurate and reliable technology and add more interest and excitement into the game for our fans, and we think this does both," said Arlen Kantarian, the USTA's chief executive for professional tennis.

The WTA and ATP Tours will also begin regularly using instant replay, starting with the Nasdaq-100 Open in Key Biscayne, Fla., on March 22.

Players will have two opportunities in each set to have calls reviewed. A computerized model of the play will be shown on a review official's screen, as well as the stadium screen and on television, the paper reported. If a call is overturned, the player will keep their challenge opportunity. Otherwise, they'll lose one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060306/ap_on_sp_te_ne/ten_us_open_instant_replay_1&printer=1;_ylt=AsokDq11a4XyAYuNXoZC9RbC9bQF;_ylu=X 3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

eck
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM
That's good.
They should anyways
After that Serena blunder

~Carsten~
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:03 PM
That's good.
They should anyways
I agree! This is good for tennis I think and it's fast! It's all about the money :(

tenn_ace
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:07 PM
will they do it on all courts or just show courts? I doubt that some Tier III event could afford this technology on all courts.

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
i agree with the decision it can only be good for tennis!