PDA

View Full Version : Why do people only compare Maria to Serena?

tennisrox
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I have seen this comparison on every idiotic Sharapova hate thread on this forum. What does Serena winning a slam as a teenager and slumping for a year have to do with Maria? How does that indicate the upper limits of maria's potential? They are two completely different players who failed to backup their initial splash for two different reasons.

Please explain rationally(none of that mindless crap from haters please)) .I fail to see the logic in this argument. Why not compare one slam wonders, Myskina,or Kuznetsova to Serena based on such arguments?Kuz is 20 and is slumping because of mental issues.She actually has a game complete enough to beat players as varied as Clijsters,and Mauresmo,and almost beat Justine the queen of clay at RG.Why is only Maria projected as the brightest talent of this generation?What does she have that no-one else does?Mental toughness can only take you so far( Hewitt ).She is solid top- 5,and the most developed of the teenagers as shown in her consistent results(for the whack-jobs who think she'll drop out of the top ten,go boil yer 'ead :o ),but why is it that only she is seen as having the game to dominate?One assumes that being only 18,she will definitely improve and get better.The question is,how much better can she get?How much better does she need to become to take Serena's place?

She never showed the kind of talent that we see in someone like Justine,who herself couldn't dominate( for physical reasons).What makes people so sure that Maria has what it takes to be more than consistent top-5.She held the number 1 ranking for a few weeks,but did not at any time look like she would have a stranglehold on it. Usually players reach that level when they peak,and it is very difficult to dislodge them from that ranking if they have the ability to dominate (hingis,seles,graf etc.).Has maria shown glimpses of this?

Junex
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:46 AM
i think it all boils down to Wimbledon 04 finals! since then....

Both have become not just rivals in tennis but in popular media as well....

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:23 AM
because they both are incredibly smart business women and maria at 17 reminds me of serena at 17. they'll both go very far in their careers.

No Name Face
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:35 AM
maria isn't that much of a prodigy. sveta is far more talented and the results will show that, over time. if sveta was classically pretty, she'd be noticed more. sad but true.

morningglory
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:38 AM
bcuz they're both divas with feisty attitudes?
They're also no. 1 and 2 in the earnings department.
They both like shopping....
teenage slams winners...
so many similarities

bellascarlett
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:47 AM
maria isn't that much of a prodigy. sveta is far more talented and the results will show that, over time. if sveta was classically pretty, she'd be noticed more. sad but true.

true but if sveta had maria's physical attributes and therefore the hype and popularity but still retained her post-US Open results, she'd be beaten up and bashed twice as much as Maria on these boards. ;) ( :secret: her results are relatively weak compared to Maria after that first slam )

xin_hui
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:52 AM
true but if sveta had maria's physical attributes and therefore the hype and popularity but still retained her post-US Open results, she'd be beaten up and bashed twice as much as Maria on these boards. ;) ( :secret: her results are relatively weaker than Maria after that first slam )

there are more reasons than the physical attributes that haters allude to. her one-dimensional game?:tape:

and u know, talking about physical attributes, sveta has a bigger........front......than maria;)

msharafan
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:00 AM
i think the reasons for this recent slagging of maria not having won a tournie since birmingham in june is because of her injury she didnt play after wimby until the usopen well she did once but had to pull out, then after the us open she had to pull out of the china open, then i think on purpose or getting over injury she lost to safina in moscow, then she played the yec where she was still getting over her injury, then australian open lost to justine(no shame) hingis (bad day made up for it/ surprised by martina) then justine again in the final, so really its marias injury that has caused her to win less tournies than expected of her most of davenports titles were from weak fields too were no one hardly played due to injury except mauresmo. so marias injury has side lined her second half of the year for her, so no one should be slagging maria over only having birmingham as a title cause actually dont see justine amlelie or even lindsey with a grass title. the reason why i am saying this is to stick up for maria as i think she has been getting unfair rap of recent, she is still young( i know clichee) and i think we will be seeing a lot more of sharapova in the near future maybe not in the clay season but after that and now with iw and miami. so please give the girl some credit for her achievement(being the most consistent on tour with lindsay), and if you cant conceive even that then at least stop giving her a hard time!

xin_hui
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:02 AM
i so no one should be slagging maria over only having birmingham as a title cause actually dont see justine amlelie or even lindsey with a grass title.

erm....that's because justine, lindsay and amelie dont play wimby warmups! how the heck are they supposed to win grass titles;)

and BTW, the most consistent on tour is lindsay

why am i replying to so many threads today? bored stiff in uni :o

Kirt12255
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM
:rolleyes: Most of the time to cause friction on the board and cause arguments (or debates :lol: ).

How there is any comparison is absolutely beyond me, even those without a maths brain can calculate slam wins. :scratch:

bellascarlett
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:10 AM
there are more reasons than the physical attributes that haters allude to. her one-dimensional game?:tape:

and u know, talking about physical attributes, sveta has a bigger........front......than maria;)

being a hater goes beyond disliking maria for her one-dimensional game. in most cases, that becomes an excuse. hate is too strong a word. and i freely welcome those who criticize her lack of variety given that it is done objectively.

anyway, despite her one-d game, maria has produced better post-first slam results than sveta (or myskina) and i was just commenting on the fact that sveta would be more noticed if she had a prettier face. i just imagined the kind of hate sveta would get if she kept her post-US open results but had maria's face and thus fame.

msharafan
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:11 AM
how is lindsay the most consistent on tour they both got to the quaters or more all last year and so far this year?

xin_hui
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:30 AM
how is lindsay the most consistent on tour they both got to the quaters or more all last year and so far this year?

2 GS finals? 6 titles? never having lost before the qtrs?;)

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Theres alot of Comparisons between Maria and Serena 17 1st Grandslam, Hype, Divas etc but this is getting silly ive only been here a few days an the amount of hate i have seen towards Maria is ridiculous.

Dasha_
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Theres alot of Comparisons between Maria and Serena 17 1st Grandslam, Hype, Divas etc but this is getting silly ive only been here a few days an the amount of hate i have seen towards Maria is ridiculous.

And you haven't seen any towards Serena?

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:05 AM
And you haven't seen any towards Serena?

So far only one which was involved in a Maria thread will Maria end up like the WS but people like tennisjay only seem to try and put players like Maria down who are obviously very talented as they have achieved what they have at such a young age its ridiculous, some of the stuff he has been saying you can tell is full blown jealousy.

borisy
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Because of their great looks (!)

Solitaire
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Maria being compared to Serena is a compliment towards Maria. I'm sure Maria would love to have all the slams/titles Serena posses.

Dasha_
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:14 AM
So far only one which was involved in a Maria thread will Maria end up like the WS but people like tennisjay only seem to try and put players like Maria down who are obviously very talented as they have achieved what they have at such a young age its ridiculous, some of the stuff he has been saying you can tell is full blown jealousy.

I don't like Maria for many reasons. But, she is а good tennis player, she won Wimbledon at 17, and she is very popular. For that reason, I think people compare her with Serena, because they are the only one tennis players so far, with so much media attention. Further more, Maria is doing the very same things Serena did - swim suit photo session, close design, acting. Some people may see this as a imitation. I admit to be one of them, by the wayÖ

Dasha_
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Maria being compared to Serena is a compliment towards Maria. I'm sure Maria would love to have all the slams/titles Serena posses.

To love and to wish is one thing.... To achieve is something completely different.... And I don't see her getting there...

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Alot of people may not have seen Serena achieving as much as she has when she went through a little slide around 18 19??? all i can say is wait and see!

This non stop arguements between fans is ridiculous makes the GM section look so hateful will this ever stop i mean i was looking at tennisjays posts he seems to be obsessed with hating on Maria! why spend so long on players he doesnt like? this has to stop sometime!

Dasha_
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:53 AM
this has to stop sometime!

I don't think it will stop ever!

Well, maybe when they both retire...

xin_hui
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Alot of people may not have seen Serena achieving as much as she has when she went through a little slide around 18 19??? all i can say is wait and see!

This non stop arguements between fans is ridiculous makes the GM section look so hateful will this ever stop i mean i was looking at tennisjays posts he seems to be obsessed with hating on Maria! why spend so long on players he doesnt like? this has to stop sometime!

this kind of hate does not only exist for maria's case. look at venus, serena, JHH and even kim. it exists for all top players

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
this kind of hate does not only exist for maria's case. look at venus, serena, JHH and even kim. it exists for all top players

Thats why i said arguements between fans in GM section, i no its a terrible thing!! why cant everybody find common ground! why! i no we are all here because we like tennis!

xin_hui
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Thats why i said arguements between fans in GM section, i no its a terrible thing!! why cant everybody find common ground! why! i no we are all here because we like tennis!

this is a forum. u must be living in heaven if there's no arguments

if you want everyone to conform, go to that player's forum

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
this is a forum. u must be living in heaven if there's no arguments

if you want everyone to conform, go to that player's forum

:lol: The extent of some of these arguements is ridiculous i mean how they get started etc

Reuchlin
Mar 6th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I have seen this comparison on every idiotic Sharapova hate thread on this forum. What does Serena winning a slam as a teenager and slumping for a year have to do with Maria? How does that indicate the upper limits of maria's potential? They are two completely different players who failed to backup their initial splash for two different reasons.

Please explain rationally(none of that mindless crap from haters please)) .I fail to see the logic in this argument. Why not compare one slam wonders, Myskina,or Kuznetsova to Serena based on such arguments?Kuz is 20 and is slumping because of mental issues.She actually has a game complete enough to beat players as varied as Clijsters,and Mauresmo,and almost beat Justine the queen of clay at RG.Why is only Maria projected as the brightest talent of this generation?What does she have that no-one else does?Mental toughness can only take you so far( Hewitt ).She is solid top- 5,and the most developed of the teenagers as shown in her consistent results(for the whack-jobs who think she'll drop out of the top ten,go boil yer 'ead :o ),but why is it that only she is seen as having the game to dominate?One assumes that being only 18,she will definitely improve and get better.The question is,how much better can she get?How much better does she need to become to take Serena's place?

She never showed the kind of talent that we see in someone like Justine,who herself couldn't dominate( for physical reasons).What makes people so sure that Maria has what it takes to be more than consistent top-5.She held the number 1 ranking for a few weeks,but did not at any time look like she would have a stranglehold on it. Usually players reach that level when they peak,and it is very difficult to dislodge them from that ranking if they have the ability to dominate (hingis,seles,graf etc.).Has maria shown glimpses of this?

I disagree with your statement that she "slumped" for a year after her win. She had a very consistant year-- and while she did not win a slam-- she remained the best week-in, week-out performer on the tour.

If you want to see who is in a slump check these players out:
1.Myskina
2.Kuznetsova
3.Serena (although we all know this girl can turn it around in a heart beat)
4.Sugiyama

skindeep
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:39 PM

oh shut up. if sveta was better she'd have done better than maria. but she hasnt :o

goldenlox
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I can understand any good young player being compared to Serena because Serena has the most majors of all active players.

tennisjay
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM
One thing Maria didnít get that both WS did was criticism, the WS are constantly criticized they can never do anything right in the eyes of many people mostly Maria fans and tennis commentators who glory Maria. All I hear is Maria this and Maria that. Iíve even heard Mariaís fans on this board and others boards say Maria is the best thing that happen to tennis. I think they only reason Maria fans and Tennis commentators like to compare the two is to try and overshadow Serena 7 Grandslam title so they wonít have to give Serena the credit she deserves for being a real champion. Maria has one Slam and already her fans are talking as if she has 10. I wish Maria fans would just stop with the stupidity and compare Maria to other fluke slam winners like Iva M.

bellascarlett
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
One thing Maria didnít get that both WS did was criticism, the WS are constantly criticized they can never do anything right in the eyes of many people mostly Maria fans and tennis commentators who glory Maria. All I hear is Maria this and Maria that. Iíve even heard Mariaís fans on this board and others boards say Maria is the best thing that happen to tennis. I think they only reason Maria fans and Tennis commentators like to compare the two is to try and overshadow Serena 7 Grandslam title so they wonít have to give Serena the credit she deserves for being a real champion. Maria has one Slam and already her fans are talking as if she has 10. I wish Maria fans would just stop with the stupidity and compare Maria to other fluke slam winners like Iva M.

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Ha your really obsessed with Maria is this all you post about Maria Maria Maria! you seem really jealous! what is it with you what has she done wrong?? to deserve constant criticism from you?

tennisjay
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Ha your really obsessed with Maria is this all you post about Maria Maria Maria! you seem really jealous! what is it with you what has she done wrong?? to deserve constant criticism from you?

Until she win more than 7 Grandslam title only than I will be jealous, so in Maria case thatís never.

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Until she win more than 7 Grandslam title only than I will be jealous, so in Maria case thatís never.

Jesus if every player has to win 7 grandslams to get respect from you wtf is going on!! anyway you didnt answer the rest of my question, why are you so obsessed with posting about Maria?

tennisjay
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Oh and for the record I donít hate Maria Iím just tired of her being forced down our throats, that why most people here and on other boards doesnít like her. I guess Maria fans will final realize some of use just donít like Maria and her style of game or the why her fans like to compare her to players that are way out of her league when it comes to being a legend as far as tennis goes..

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Oh and for the record I donít hate Maria Iím just tired of her being forced down our throats, that why most people here and on other boards doesnít like her. I guess Maria fans will final realize some of use just donít like Maria and her style of game or the why her fans like to compare her to players that are way out of her league when it comes to being a legend as far as tennis goes..

:haha: whenever they compare her to players its not the way they are now its the way they were like with Serena, Maria had basically the same amount of success as Serena ta 17 18 but liek somebody has already said Maria is making semis of Grandslams whereas Serena was making quarters, if your fed up of Maria why enter the threads she doesnt have to be forced down your throat like you say you can just as easily ignore it as any othr thread! but you come in to hate on her its ridiculous! theres just as many other threads of other players around but for some reason you are picky with Maria :confused:

densuprun
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Somehow I feel that it's you rather than Maria fans who forces her down our throats...

Matze
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Donīt count Maria out!!!! Iīm a big Williams-Fan, but I like Mariaīs game and attitude on the court... We all know, that Serena needed three years to win her second Grand Slam after the 99 Us Open... So give Maria some extra time and she will do it... She has one season left, but she should accomplish that feat by 2007 if she wants to be compared with Serena...

Personally Iīd say Maria and Serena are comparable with their game-styles and off-court business... The only thing where they are completely different is only their look and their skin-colour... Thatīs all...

Cheers

thelittlestelf
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:59 PM
This is like, a really sad argument.

Reuchlin
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Well let's see:

They both won a top slam early in their career.
They both have star-potential
They both love fashion
They are both intense
They both have powerful groundstrokes
They both have a controversial father
They both have been raised to be champions
They both have overcome undesirable economic/social conditions
They both have good serves
They both have personality.
They both have a love-hate relationship with America(ns)
They both grunt very loud.

I say paint Maria black, give Yuri a Camera, put some junk in her trunk and you've got your answer to the "who will be the next Serena?" thread.

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Well let's see:

They both love fashion
They are both intense
They both grunt very load.

Id say that sounds about right! :)

tennisjay
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Well let's see:

They both love fashion
They are both intense

I say paint Maria black, give Yuri a Camera, put some junk in her trunk and you've got your answer to the "who will be the next Serena?" thread.

I disagree; Maria is treated like a queen here in the US while Serena has been treated like Shit. Maria was given every advantage by the US while Serena was given the finger so letís not continue to try and compare the two when you know they were treated differently by America and Tennis writers and Sports commentators and so on. You say their games are similar which I disagree, but when have you heard any tennis commentators call Maria style of game bad for tennis, and please lets not go there with the black and white thing because thatís a fight you will never win so just leave it alone.

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Strange fellow that one

Morrissey
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I notice when I read American or British tennis magazines or newspapers they always go out of their way to praise Lindsay Davenport. Sure she has over 50 WTA tour titles...but she also has only 3 grand slams..that's it. Whether people like to admit it or not..the emergence of the Williams Sisters and the Belgians really derailed Davenport's career. I think when Davenport retires in my mind I see a choker. I see a player that had the potential to win at least 4 or 5 slams or even more..and yet in the semifinals or finals of slams she chokes and finds a way to lose. Between 2004 and 2005 Lindsay should of won 4 slam titles. She found ways to lose 4 times..up a set against Sharapova at Wimbledon, and Kuznetsova at US OPEN. And Davenport had the best summer record that year..beating the Williams Sisters back to back in Stanford and LA. And yet...she failed to deliver. In 2005..Serena has a bad shoulder injury...Lindsay blasts through the first set..She had 6 breakpoints in the match when it was tied 2-2 in the second and she found a way to lose that match. At Wimbledon 2005...Lindsay has a 6-4 6-5 on Venus..serve for the match blew it. Next, has a chance in the tiebreaker..blows that too..Had 4-2 40-15 lead..five points from the title..found a way to lose that..had a match point..at 5-4 blew that..and loses 9-7 in the fifth. At the US OPEN she has a match point against Dementieva finds a way to lose at. At the Australian Open 2006..wins the first set against Henin Hardenne finds a way to lose that too....

Yet people never call Lindsay Choker..I wonder why?

WIMBLY2004
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Somehow I feel that it's you rather than Maria fans who forces her down our throats...
:lol: :lol:
this guy is much more devoted than most of Maria fans, talk about obsession :lol:

msharafan
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM
i think maria and serena are each their own respective individual and thats that, whether youre a maria fan serena fan or neither none of us know what the future holds for both players, and both players should be respected for both their achievements. however i do not think it is fair for some serena/justine/lindsay fans to say when maria has 7 grand slams or whatever she can be mentioned in the same sentance, because this is bull, obviously serena lindsay and justine have respect for maria because she has beaten them all, and anyone who thinks this will im afraid be proven wrong. i think both maria and serena are great players of their generation or generation to come, so what is the point in making critisicm to both players. sure ws fans have had to put up with all the mc donalds and no commitment rubbish but as ws fans they should understand what also masha fans are going through aswell(maybe not to the same extent) and both ws and maria fans should unite and not slag each other player off.
even after saying all this there is still some honest jealousy going on in this board due to recent circumstances but to those people(you know who you are) im sure the future will brighten up eventually. now please can we for once and for all put this issue to bed cause i for one am getting sick of it!

tennisjay
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:01 PM
i think maria and serena are each their own respective individual and thats that, whether youre a maria fan serena fan or neither none of us know what the future holds for both players, and both players should be respected for both their achievements. however i do not think it is fair for some serena/justine/lindsay fans to say when maria has 7 grand slams or whatever she can be mentioned in the same sentance, because this is bull, obviously serena lindsay and justine have respect for maria because she has beaten them all, and anyone who thinks this will im afraid be proven wrong. i think both maria and serena are great players of their generation or generation to come, so what is the point in making critisicm to both players. sure ws fans have had to put up with all the mc donalds and no commitment rubbish but as ws fans they should understand what also masha fans are going through aswell(maybe not to the same extent) and both ws and maria fans should unite and not slag each other player off.
even after saying all this there is still some honest jealousy going on in this board due to recent circumstances but to those people(you know who you are) im sure the future will brighten up eventually. now please can we for once and for all put this issue to bed cause i for one am getting sick of it!

Jealous of what? What do WS fans have to be jealous of. Both sisters have more than one grandslam title and probably will win another before Maria, they did last year or did you mean to say Maria fans are the ones Jealous of the WS.

Stamp Paid
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Because Serena is the best. As a competitor, who else would u want to be compared to?

tennisjay
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Because Serena is the best. As a competitor, who else would u want to be compared to?

Well thats true. I want to know if Maria have posters of Serena on her wall at home, but it's kind of creepy how she's copying Serena's every move though.

Stamp Paid
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Its like Lebron James and Michael Jordan. :p

Maria:Serena::Lebron:Michael (sorta)

Dan23
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Its like Lebron James and Michael Jordan. :p

Maria:Serena::Lebron:Michael (sorta)
:lol:

Wsisters45
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I notice when I read American or British tennis magazines or newspapers they always go out of their way to praise Lindsay Davenport. Sure she has over 50 WTA tour titles...but she also has only 3 grand slams..that's it. Whether people like to admit it or not..the emergence of the Williams Sisters and the Belgians really derailed Davenport's career. I think when Davenport retires in my mind I see a choker. I see a player that had the potential to win at least 4 or 5 slams or even more..and yet in the semifinals or finals of slams she chokes and finds a way to lose. Between 2004 and 2005 Lindsay should of won 4 slam titles. She found ways to lose 4 times..up a set against Sharapova at Wimbledon, and Kuznetsova at US OPEN. And Davenport had the best summer record that year..beating the Williams Sisters back to back in Stanford and LA. And yet...she failed to deliver. In 2005..Serena has a bad shoulder injury...Lindsay blasts through the first set..She had 6 breakpoints in the match when it was tied 2-2 in the second and she found a way to lose that match. At Wimbledon 2005...Lindsay has a 6-4 6-5 on Venus..serve for the match blew it. Next, has a chance in the tiebreaker..blows that too..Had 4-2 40-15 lead..five points from the title..found a way to lose that..had a match point..at 5-4 blew that..and loses 9-7 in the fifth. At the US OPEN she has a match point against Dementieva finds a way to lose at. At the Australian Open 2006..wins the first set against Henin Hardenne finds a way to lose that too....

Yet people never call Lindsay Choker..I wonder why?

Lindsay gets her fair share amount of criticism too. And "only 3 slam titles"? How about you try to win 4 slams. Till then,shut up. :) And this thread is about Serena and Maria, not Lindsay.

Maria and Serena are always compared because their the two biggest stars. Both have great fight and determination. Their a lot more alike than their fans want to admit ;)

Diesel
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:15 AM
sure ws fans have had to put up with all the mc donalds and no commitment rubbish but as ws fans they should understand what also masha fans are going through aswell(maybe not to the same extent) and both ws and maria fans should unite and not slag each other player off.

While I'm not down for bashing of any players, only heavy criticism of Justine, I'm not for kumbaya hand holding deep cries over experiences on this board with Maria fans.

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM
While I'm not down for bashing of any players, only heavy criticism of Justine, I'm not for kumbaya hand holding deep cries over experiences on this board with Maria fans.

I'm not for bashing Maria either, remember I'm not the one who started this thread so it's obvious their are others who feel the same way about Maria and her fans as I do and their constant cries of stop bashing Maria when these same people say horrible things about the WS and other players. I admit I don't like Maria, but I will give her credit when she reach this so call greatness her fans, sport reporters, and tennis commentators have already awarded her with.

Diesel
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM
I'm not for bashing Maria either, remember I'm not the one who started this thread so it's obvious their are others who feel the same way about Maria and her fans as I do and their constant cries of stop bashing Maria when these same people say horrible things about the WS and other players. I admit I don't like Maria, but I will give her credit when she reach this so call greatness her fans, sport reporters, and tennis commentators have already awarded her with.

The problem I have though is why care, why even talk about Maria or her fans when the time doesn't call for it. As far as anything Serena goes, her legacy is strong and as long as she contines to play, she'll continue to build on it and further cement it. It's all sucess with Serena J. Williams. In any of that, I don't see how Maria or her fans need to be mentioned. Who cares if they (fans/commentators) say bad things about Serena, why bring yourself down to their level? Regardless of what any of us fans on this board say, the true stuff that matters is on the court. Stupid hateful words against Serena matter not to her 7 grandslam titles and other success. It's not that serious - stop letting others steal your joy. By dwelling on a uselss battle against Maria/the commentators you make Maria/the fans/commentators more important and crucial than they actually are.

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:40 AM
The problem I have though is why care, why even talk about Maria or her fans when the time doesn't call for it. As far as anything Serena goes, her legacy is strong and as long as she contines to play, she'll continue to build on it and further cement it. It's all sucess with Serena J. Williams. In any of that, I don't see how Maria or her fans need to be mentioned. Who cares if they (fans/commentators) say bad things about Serena, why bring yourself down to their level? Regardless of what any of us fans on this board say, the true stuff that matters is on the court. Stupid hateful words against Serena matter not to her 7 grandslam titles and other success. It's not that serious - stop letting others steal your joy. By dwelling on a uselss battle against Maria/the commentators you make Maria/the fans/commentators more important and crucial than they actually are.

TRUE. ;)

SelesFan70
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:14 AM
I read this thread and the first thing that came to my mind is a George Michael song..."Father Figure" :tape:

WIMBLY2004
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:16 AM

You are so desperate that you are actually becoming entertaining now :lol:

TeaMMashA
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:52 AM

This guy is truly amazing he doesnt bash Maria!!! :confused: LOOK AT ALL HIS PAST POSTS IT UNBELIEVABLE THE GUY IS OBSESSED WITH IT!

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:37 PM
This guy is truly amazing he doesnt bash Maria!!! :confused: LOOK AT ALL HIS PAST POSTS IT UNBELIEVABLE THE GUY IS OBSESSED WITH IT!

I never bashed her; I just said her game is not good as people make it out to be. I know Maria fans hate to admit it but Maria still has a whole lot improvement to do before she can win another Grandslam Title. I go on record and say Kim, Justine and both WS will win another Grandslam title before Maria does, and the WS are out of shape. What Maria fans think is bashing is not really, Iím just point out major flaws in her games that other players already know of.

TeaMMashA
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I never bashed her; I just said her game is not good as people make it out to be. I know Maria fans hate to admit it but Maria still has a whole lot improvement to do before she can win another Grandslam Title. I go on record and say Kim, Justine and both WS will win another Grandslam title before Maria does, and the WS are out of shape. What Maria fans think is bashing is not really, Iím just point out major flaws in her games that other players already know of.

shutup mate ya boring me ya get to the point where your just.....yeah boring!!

as for you never bashing maria thats the biggest load of BS ever your non stop on the topic!! give it a rest do us a favour and yourself! we all no Maria isnt perfect in her game we dont need some crazy ass hater who doesnt shutup about it every single time he comes online to tell us this!

Sinnet
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Maria doesn't possess the natural athleticism nor natural talent/skill that Serena Williams has. If Serena would apply herself now as much as she did in 2002, there'd be no comparison, despite the outside interests, grunting, hard-hitting. Serena would still be number one NOW if she'd just focus and apply herself. Whereas with Maria, she knows one thing: hit the ball as hard as you can all the time. This plan often flops on her, and she has no backup. Serena hits hard all the time, but she has more variety, (angles, spins) and more competitiveness overall than Maria.

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Maria doesn't possess the natural athleticism nor natural talent/skill that Serena Williams has. If Serena would apply herself now as much as she did in 2002, there'd be no comparison, despite the outside interests, grunting, hard-hitting. Serena would still be number one NOW if she'd just focus and apply herself. Whereas with Maria, she knows one thing: hit the ball as hard as you can all the time. This plan often flops on her, and she has no backup. Serena hits hard all the time, but she has more variety, (angles, spins) and more competitiveness overall than Maria.

Thank you, thatís what Iíve been trying to explain to the Maria fanatics, but they wonít listen. You could never compare Maria to the Serena of 2002, but the Serena of 2006 maybe.

densuprun
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM
You may be surprised but people don't compare Maria of 2004-2006 to Serena'2002. Only to Serena of 1999-2001. Their achievements at the same age are similar.

TeaMMashA
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Thank you, thatís what Iíve been trying to explain to the Maria fanatics, but they wonít listen. You could never compare Maria to the Serena of 2002, but the Serena of 2006 maybe.

Are you actually mentally challenged? noone compared her to the Serena of 2002 were all comparing their starts to their careers, jesus!! we all no maria aint the best!! just we get sick and tired with your obsession for her!!

morningglory
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM
TeamMasha, please stop. And make ample use of the "ignore" function.

msharafan
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM
ok thats it
'Jealous of what? What do WS fans have to be jealous of. Both sisters have more than one grandslam title and probably will win another before Maria, they did last year or did you mean to say Maria fans are the ones Jealous of the WS.'
no i meant some not all ws fans are jealous of the fact that maria is actually playing tennis at the moment and is in the top 5, who cares how many slam they have won theyre not playing anything apart from the grand slams i tried to be nice but some serena fans think serena is the best in the world when if you look at the rankings she is not. she was once the best player in the world but im sorry she aint any more. so get over it and stop acting like maria cant be mentioned in the same sentence as serena just cause she won 7 slams, i mean where is her ranking now? #53/#54?
i have respect for most ws fans and this is not directed as an insult to them but i have to shut these self obbsessed fans up!

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Are you actually mentally challenged? noone compared her to the Serena of 2002 were all comparing their starts to their careers, jesus!! we all no maria aint the best!! just we get sick and tired with your obsession for her!!

Yes, and just we get sick :lol: of Maria fans consistent hype of her when she hasnít done much of anything to be hyped about.

TeaMMashA
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM
TeamMasha, please stop. And make ample use of the "ignore" function.

somebody has to say something its beyond a joke!

TeaMMashA
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Yes, and just we get sick :lol: of Maria fans consistent hype of her when she hasnít done much of anything to be hyped about.

nah i suppose your right winning a grand slam and YEC at 17 aint no big deal really sorry i ever thought she might have a promising career, please forgive me for being optimistic (btw i never said she was the best noone did)

morningglory
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:59 PM
somebody has to say something its beyond a joke!
look, I dunno what tennisjay said, except for the parts you all quoted, but it's no use arguing with a troll. And no, it's not a joke, tennisjay probably isn't joking with ya'll, but what do you gain by... well as we Thai call it... "fiddling to a buffalo" or "preaching to a horse"?
Let other Serena fans be resposible for their own. We have no business with tennisjay.

msharafan
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM
'(btw i never said she was the best noone did)' by teammasha
well said everyone says maria fans thinks maria is the best in the world i for one have never said such a thing and yet i have to put up with all this bull, i know maria is not the best but i think she has the potential to be in the future when she gets older she seems the suitable candidate for me and thats from a perspective i believe justine is the best player in the world at the moment followed by kim then mauresmo then sharapova then dav. so stop saying every maria fan thinks shes the best in the world because not every maria fan is that stupid, maria is a great player but at the mo she is not the best but like i said i think she has the potential to be in the future.

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I glad some of you Maria fans have pointed out the obvious, that Maria is far from greatness so at this point my works is done, but I still laugh when I think of what Ted Robinson said I'll quote him "TENNIS GREAT MARIA SHARAPOVA" one Grandslam Title and sheís Greatness.

skindeep
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I'll compare serena to maria when she enters the top 40

THANK GOD she's retiring soon and her fans will be out of here :bounce: :bounce:

skindeep
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I still laugh when I think of what Ted Robinson said I'll quote him "TENNIS GREAT MARIA SHARAPOVA" one Grandslam Title and sheís Greatness.
U dont laugh. u cry from bitterness ---> :sad: :fiery:

:lol:

waratahsrock
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I admit I don't like Maria, but I will give her credit when she reach this so call greatness her fans... have already awarded her with.

Understatement of the century.

You keep saying that her FANS are labelling her as the greatest etc, yet your not providing us with any examples, and actual links to where this has been said.

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I'll compare serena to maria when she enters the top 40

THANK GOD she's retiring soon and her fans will be out of here :bounce: :bounce:

I bet you will be jumping for joy most of Maria fanatics will. Most Maria fans will be happy to get rid of the WS, beside they are among the two players who and have and will stop her from winning another Grandslam title. :lol:

skindeep
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I bet you will be jumping for joy most of Maria fanatics will. Most Maria fans will be happy to get rid of the WS, beside they are among the two players who and have and will stop her from winning another Grandslam title. :lol:

like in the 04 WIMBLEDON final right??? the williams have lost it. i fear the best players, mauresmo, clijsters...not ws

WIMBLY2004
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:08 PM
look, I dunno what tennisjay said, except for the parts you all quoted, but it's no use arguing with a troll. And no, it's not a joke, tennisjay probably isn't joking with ya'll, but what do you gain by... well as we Thai call it... "fiddling to a buffalo" or "preaching to a horse"?
Let other Serena fans be resposible for their own. We have no business with tennisjay.

But he is just starting to provide some entertainment to us, I put him on ignore before, but I had to take him out as his desperation and stupidity is getting funny, it's like watching a clown :lol:

tennisjay
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:19 PM
like in the 04 WIMBLEDON final right??? the williams have lost it. i fear the best players, mauresmo, clijsters...not ws

I noticed you left off Maria and you did right by doing so. Maria never had it and never wil. I to was jumping for joy when Serena beat Maria at last years AO, Justine at FO, Venus at Wimbledon, and Kim at the US Open, then Justine again at the AO, who will be next to keep Maria from winning a Grandslam Title and reaching her so called greatness. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PLP
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Also the way Maria plays reminds me more of Davenport than Serena...She's such a great ball striker but has some movement issues, Serena's def. not the cleanest player but will run for days, when she is in peak form of course. Maria obviously has some work to do before she can logically be compared to the greats, P

Diesel
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Yet another stupid statement. Being a fan of Serena doesn't mean you are responsible for anyone's postings on this board other than your own. The simplicity of a name, whether it's Serena fan or Royal Court seems so complex to some that it's beyond ridiculous. Take up shit with the individual people who deserve it and stop lumping and generalizing. Anyways, it's tough to talk when you Maria fans aren't doing a good job with skindeep.

msharafan
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:52 AM
' but will run for days, when she is in peak form of course.' on serena

yeah and when is she going to be in peak form, well see whos laughing when maria wins wimby cause serena and venus wont. resons why are
#1 theyre unfit(fom all the mc donalds)
#2 serena is fat(from all the mc donalds)
#3 theyre too busy worrying about what colour lipgloss will go with their outfit and how to make a dress.
#4 theyve no match practice.
#5 did you see what happened at aussie open venus(the better one at the mo) couldnt get past the first round and the nearest serena got to defending her title was the third round!
#6 theyve lost all hunger passion and commitment to the game.
now this is directed at the serena fan who keeps on slashing maria saying she wont win a slam, so no other ws fans are to take offence. also look at serenas ranking whos laughing now whay is it #53?

Dasha_
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:39 AM
' but will run for days, when she is in peak form of course.' on serena

yeah and when is she going to be in peak form, well see whos laughing when maria wins wimby cause serena and venus wont. resons why are
#1 theyre unfit(fom all the mc donalds)
#2 serena is fat(from all the mc donalds)
#3 theyre too busy worrying about what colour lipgloss will go with their outfit and how to make a dress.
#4 theyve no match practice.
#5 did you see what happened at aussie open venus(the better one at the mo) couldnt get past the first round and the nearest serena got to defending her title was the third round!
#6 theyve lost all hunger passion and commitment to the game.
now this is directed at the serena fan who keeps on slashing maria saying she wont win a slam, so no other ws fans are to take offence. also look at serenas ranking whos laughing now whay is it #53?

and they have 5 and 7 GS titles! Maria will never have that much, even if she plays for 50 more years.... And please don't tell me "she's only 18"

TeaMMashA
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Lat thing i have to say on this tournament is Marias H2H with the Williams Sisters is 4-3 in her favour and one of those defeats to Serena came when she was 16 am i right!! Serena - 2-2 Venus 2-1! (ive had enough of this arguement its old and boring, and maria fans are getting critisised for defending our fav player and saying shes the best which actually never happened)

skindeep
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I noticed you left off Maria and you did right by doing so. Maria never had it and never wil. I to was jumping for joy when Serena beat Maria at last years AO, Justine at FO, Venus at Wimbledon, and Kim at the US Open, then Justine again at the AO, who will be next to keep Maria from winning a Grandslam Title and reaching her so called greatness. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i left her out because shes one my fave players therefore i dont fear her, dumbass :tape:

skindeep
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM
and they have 5 and 7 GS titles! Maria will never have that much, even if she plays for 50 more years.... And please don't tell me "she's only 18"

you dont know this :tape:

Maria has already won the best grand slam and she will win A LOT more, trust me.

besides, i'd be happy with being the most popular player in the world like masha :drool:

Dasha_
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
who will be next to keep Maria from winning a Grandslam Title and reaching her so called greatness. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The quality of her game will keep her from winning it? Or perhaps the fact that all the others are playing and are healthy, as the difference from 2004?

Dasha_
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
she will win A LOT more, trust me.

And you know this ? :tape:

skindeep
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:05 AM
The quality of her game will keep her from winning it? Or perhaps the fact that all the others are playing and are healthy, as the difference from 2004?

just like nobody was really healthy when the serena slam took place? :tape:

TeaMMashA
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM

and you know this :tape: (i guess just becuase hingis JHH and clijsters werent at wimbledon 04 the quality of the field was shit right?? :lol: :confused: there was 12 people seeded higher then Maria at wimbledon thats a challenge in itself )

skindeep
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:13 AM
and you know this :tape: (i guess just becuase hingis JHH and clijsters werent at wimbledon 04 the quality of the field was shit right?? :lol: :confused: there was 12 people seeded higher then Maria at wimbledon thats a challenge in itself )

i know right? the fact is that maria killed serena in the final and got her first GS :bounce:

Dasha_
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
i know right? the fact is that maria killed serena in the final and got her first GS :bounce:

her first and her last

skindeep
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM
her first and her last

I bet it makes you lose sleep at night :drool: :bounce:

Volcana
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I have seen this comparison...You make a lot of valid points. They certainly haven't played each other enough to have any personal rivalry, and their styles aren't really comparable. However, a lot of women's tennis fans, at least on this forum, are more into the celebrity aspect of it than the athletic aspect. So what's relatively trivial to the players becomes very significant to those fans.

Simplicity
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Well let's see:

They both love fashion
They are both intense

Basically what this person is saying is that Sharapova is trying to mimic Serena! :mad: :rolleyes: Why can't she be someone esle! Anna kopurnikova perhaps! :fiery: :mad: Leave Serena alone you twat!! :mad:

Simplicity
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I prefer Serena losing 6-1 6-1, than her losing 2-6 7-5 8-6 :shrug: I mean, it's a lot easier to get over being doubles bageled, just ask Sharapova :tape: Well maybe not :o No one wants to lose 6-0 6-0... I am not afraid of giving Sharapova credit for beating Jamica's ass in that finally, BUT come on. If we're being realistic here, she won't win another grand slam for decades :wavey: :shrug:

skindeep
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I prefer Serena losing 6-1 6-1, than her losing 2-6 7-5 8-6 :shrug: I mean, it's a lot easier to get over being doubles bageled, just ask Sharapova :tape: Well maybe not :o No one wants to lose 6-0 6-0... I am not afraid of giving Sharapova credit for beating Jamica's ass in that finally, BUT come on. If we're being realistic here, she won't win another grand slam for decades :wavey: :shrug:

somebody forgot to give you your pills today? :drool:

Simplicity
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM
somebody forgot to give you your pills today? :drool:
Your mom... That's not all she forgot to give me :hehehe: omg, what if your mom is like 50 :eek: :bolt: