PDA

View Full Version : Worst Achilles Heel

No Name Face
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:57 AM
which attribute of the following players is the biggest detriment to them being the perfect player? in other words, what is worse to have, venus's forehand or dementieva's serve?

and so on and so forth. which of the top player's weaknesses is the worst?

Derek.
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Daniela's mental strength and consistancy. :smash:

No Name Face
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Going with Elena's serve here. If it hadn't given her so much trouble, she'd have won at least 3 slams and tripled the amount of titles she has right now.

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:05 AM
When Venus is on her forehand is magnificent and merciless when its not it aint good but i think some of the other player's signature ailments are ALOT worse Dementieva's serve and Kuznestova's 60+ errors sometiems

TF Chipmunk
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:06 AM
:o This is such a difficult choice. I know right off the bat though I would say Lena's serve isn't that much of an achilles heel because she's got the other part of her game that HELPS her neutralize points even after someone pummels a return on her. Then, the reason why she ends up losing the point is because of UE's :o I mean, just watch JCap vs. LenaD US Open 2004. That shows you right there :shrug:

Dementinator
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM
:o This is such a difficult choice. I know right off the bat though I would say Lena's serve isn't that much of an achilles heel because she's got the other part of her game that HELPS her neutralize points even after someone pummels a return on her. Then, the reason why she ends up losing the point is because of UE's :o I mean, just watch JCap vs. LenaD US Open 2004. That shows you right there :shrug:

Thats true ,If Elenas game is on ,then the serving is not so important ,in that J cap match she served slower than ever ,but returned everything and was read y for any big returns ,once the point started it was advantage Elena ,but I guess if she did have Davenports serve it WOULD make things easier ,then again Davenport would kill for Elenas physical prowess and movement ,so //i guess you cant have it all..

Prizeidiot
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:19 AM
A lot of those aren't really problems. Amelie is starting to get over that mental hurdle. Justine hits almost as hard as anyone else despite her height, which allows her to move beautifully anyway. Maria can't volley or move well partially due to her height, but that gives her the power in her baseline game.

Svetlana's errors are a worry, but that's really the gamble she takes going for her shots. It's not really an achilles heel. Just an inevitable effect of her high risk game.

I'd say Elena's serve and Kim's injuries.

ceiling_fan
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM
easy pick for me... the serve-- it's such an important aspect of the game. the part where only you (not your opponent) determines how well it is hit.

SilK
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Elena has done well for herself with that serve.

For me, it's Lindsay Davenport's lack of movement/attitude. She's a true champion, one of the best players around there. But she can lose motivation... ('04 Wimbledon Semi, anybody?) She could've had many more Slams to her name the past 2 years... such a shame.

I hope she takes one this year. :D

CooCooCachoo
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Zvonareva's mental stability :tape:

I voted Dementieva.

lolo21
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Amelie's forehand not in the poll??

mental barrier or not,i'm sure she would have won way more than 1 GS with a decent forehand.

améliemomo
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Amelie's forehand not in the poll??

mental barrier or not,i'm sure she would have won way more than 1 GS with a decent forehand.

she improved it even if she still have some problem with it but that's ok I think. :p

as for her mental strengh, we cant say this anymore,she is different now ,she doesnt such a bid deal of big events even if roland garros is still special but not a problem now.

*Jool*
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Conchita Martinez's Achilles Heel :retard:

chuCKnorris
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Dementieva's lack of serve is probably the only reason why she hasn't won any GS yet

Jenny.C.Fan
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM
As all the rest have won grand slams with their so called "achilles heels" it would have to be dementieva's serve

skanky~skanketta
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM
lena's serve, unfortunately. all these players do have really bad days with their weakneses, but sometimes they're really on. lena, even when on, has a horrendous serve.

Martian Jeza
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
If Martina wants to achieve big things again, she will have to work on a way better physic condition and a way better service : that are the two things missing by Martina and I'm confident she will improve those things with the time but at all other points she's the best on the WTA Tour...

Kimmi
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Elena's serve without a doubt.

She has some awesome shots at her disposal, take a look at the Tokyo final. If she got that serve sorted she would be awesome (awesomer than she is, I mean :) )

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Dementieva's serve.

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Lena D's serve is a big let down in her game.

Pheobo
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Lena D's serve automatically came to mind. I think she could be the best player in the world with a decent serve.

DragonFlame
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
elena's serve is winning bigtime :lol: :tape: :sad: i wish she took off for a few months like januari untill the clayseason next year to work in it and comeback as a renewed player... owh well, we'll see she deserves to win at least 1 slam in her career though.

selyoink
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Lena's serve

AjdeNate!
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:29 PM
ED would have a couple/few Slams with a serve.

Stamp Paid
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Venus' forehand for sure. No way she would have lost so many slam finals had it been more solid.

Stamp Paid
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:37 PM
And Elena's mental weakness is what has stopped her from getting slams/big titles, not her serve.

miffedmax
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:39 PM
The problem with Lena's serve isn't that it's a slow, weak serve. It's that it ends up in the net so often.

You can't concede the equivalent of 3-5 entire games against top players and expect to win.

saint
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Dementieva's serve, i'd hate to be as inconsistent as that. Also I think Momo's mental attitude is a whole lot better now and maybe not such a weakness now.
Overall it would be a dull world if all players had perfect similar games, although i said Demetieva's serve is dubious at the very least, it does make matches interesting or excrutiatingly difficult if you're a big fan.

Tennace
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM
No one wants an injury prone body, there is almost no way around it. Dementieva has back up for her serve, like her ground strokes, sometimes. I said Clijsters' injuries

RJWCapriati
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Dementieva's serve :eek:

bigshow21
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Kim's injury prone body. You won't win if you can't physically play.

pp2006
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Lena D's sevre and the "one good day a week" thing .

:)

MakarovaFan
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Here s my opinion:

Elena s serve: she has a tremendous ground game and movement and once the serve IS IN it a)doesnt even affect her b)no too many players pounce on it,also i think her real problem is lacking tournament to tournament consistency and form so NO

Venus s forehand:kinda iffy,i mean if any player has there shot ON,theyd be lethal so i dunno...really tho if it was more stead and reliable shed definately be a threat,but i dont think itd be that different so NO

Amelie s mentality: nah,shes over that now plus even when it was all it would do is prevent her choking so much,but again she d still be beatable so
NO

Justines size: nah,it accomadates her,and shes still hits hard and moves well;plus being bigger and stronger could affect/change her style so
NO

Martina s lack of power:again like justine,it makes her who she is,now i do think with a little more power she d be even more of a serious threat,i but its not that drastic so NO

Maria s footwork/net play:net play shouldnt even count so no.As for the movement i do think it really affects her.I mean if she could get to more balls/be in better positioning she d really be lethal.I think thats whats holding her back(not lack of variety,ex lindsay;or lack of net play.ex almost everyone).As for:Maria can't volley or move well partially due to her height, but that gives her the power in her baseline game.,i disagree i dont think just because your tall it means you have o be slow. SO YES

Lindsay s attitude:Toss up with this or Maria;lindsays funks or lack of care during matches greatly affects her.Imagine if she fought,showed emtion/cared or had a positive attitude during many matches(Oz Open 2005,FO 2005,Wim 2004,so many more);shed have sooo many more titles So YES

Kim s body:Everybody has injuries,and i havnt seen a time where SHE HAS PLAYED with a serious enough injury to be detremential to her game(most of the girls/hell most athletes always play with some kind of nagging injury)
so NO

Sveta s inconsistency: might as well add bout 20 other players in this boat.True it does affect her badly,but again how many others would be great if just more consistent so NO

1-10(1 Most detremental,10 least):
1. Lindsay
2.Maria
3.Elena
4.Venus
5.Martina
6.Amelie
7.Justine
8.Kim

9. N/A Sveta(too many other girls could be put here)

Honourable Mentions:

Anastasia's head/confidence/consistency: If she werent a headcase and really "played" her matches she be SO much better and a really tough 5-10 player

Pattys lack of interest:I think patty s headcase/fighting issues greatly affected her,like amelie she seems to have greatly improved

Dani/Nadia/Ivanovic/PLAYERS A-Z s consistency:If only more CONSISTENT

Dokic's head/dad/belief: if she could jus straighten her head out and play with confidence....

Kournikova s serve:doesnt really matter know anyway....

KoOlMaNsEaN
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:51 AM
I think elena's serve has improved a bit? Am I crazy

PLP
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:55 AM
I think elena's serve has improved a bit? Am I crazy

It did look quite good in the match against Martina but whenever I look at her stats of other matches she has like 15 DF's...Can anyone recall another match that she has served so well in?

I am kind of surprised that so many people have voted for Davenport and Hingis considering how great their careers have been, P

Martian Stacey
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I think being injury prone is the worst, all the other weaknesses can be worked on and improved.

!<blocparty>!
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Lindsay Davenport's lack of movement/attitude. If both of those things were like, good, she'd have been unstoppable. :p

hwanmig
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Lindsays motivation and then Elena's serve.

MakarovaFan
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I think being injury prone is the worst, all the other weaknesses can be worked on and improved.

But in this case/thread,Kim's body hasnt been overly detremental to her success(compared to the others)

Yes in general injuries would probably the the worst tho..

controlfreak
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Well as a player I tend to serve like Dementieva and crumble mentally like Amelie, and out of those two problems the mental one is definitely the one I'd rather fix.

Rachel_
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Lena's serve...if that was 15-20% more consistant she'd be a multi slam champ by now!

Justineladivine
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Lena's serve...if that was 15-20% more consistant she'd be a multi slam champ by now!

Although I wouldn't have voted for that option (figures, doesn'it?) you're definitely right.

morningglory
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Svetlana's erratic behavior... since there's no logical explanation for it, it's kinda impossible to fix :shrug:

andrewbroad
Mar 14th, 2006, 01:15 AM
The worst Achilles' Heel to have is Karina Habšudová's :sad:

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/7581/hrmagazine3injury5lf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/habsu/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/habsu/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karinahabsudova/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karinahabsudova/)